Start by marking “The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #3)

The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  614 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
U.S. diplomatic agent Maggie Spencer is working on a high-profile criminal investigation involving an international fugitive when U.S. Marshal Rob Dunnemore shows up asking questions. But when the two stumble on a dead body, they have only each other to trust to crack the case and stop the assassin from killing again in this combination of suspense, romance and adventure.
Paperback
Published May 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published December 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Rapids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rapids

Kathy
maybe 3.5 stars
I missed books 1&2 (my library doesn't have them on audio) but feel like I got enough recap in this one to follow along fairly well.

Narrator is good but she keeps using this raspy smoker's voice for some of her characters, mostly the males. It is slightly annoying.
There are so many characters in this story I almost can not keep them straight while listening. I get confused at times who she is talking about. This is a me problem and nothing to do with the book. I think I'd foll
Gina
Apr 21, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it
Not bad ... not bad at all!

Turns out I should have read Night's Landing and Cold Ridge before I read this one, but I didn't know that they tied in together. I may have understood the characters a little better if I had.

I got enough of the sense of Maggie so that I understood her, and although I did feel something between her and Rob, I can't say it was a sizzle.

The plot wasn't bad, but I didn't find the mystery that I'd been expecting after reading the synopsis.

I do need to stress, however, that
Glenajo
Jul 10, 2011 Glenajo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rapids is the third book in Carla Neggers U.S. Marshal series. The book opens with the arrest of Nicholas Janssen in The Hague. Janssen was one of the instigators of the trouble in the second book of the series. His arrest brings Rob Dunnemore to The Hague to try to discover anything he can about Janssen’s arrest. Maggie Spencer, the US diplomatic security agent, received the information about Janssen’s location. When other people start to die, Maggie attempts to piece the puzzle together wh ...more
Sue
Jan 21, 2016 Sue rated it liked it
Oddly named since The Rapids didn't appear until page 300 and something. Did not read the first two in this series, but plenty of recaps along the way.
Sarah Jowett
I couldn't give this book any stars because it was almost physically painful to read and I only finished it to finish it. You pretty much have to have the previous book to understand all the relationships/friendships between the characters, which is a bad sign. I didn't like or care about any of the characters and I didn't care what happened to them or why.

I could have sworn I read a couple awesome ones by her but I can't remember the names. Richard North Patterson is the same way: some of his b
Mary Baker
Aug 09, 2014 Mary Baker rated it really liked it
A continuation of the search for an assassin, this novel provides good escape.
Teresa
Jan 03, 2014 Teresa rated it liked it
DS agent Maggie Spencer and US Marshall Rob Dunnemore seek an assassin responsible for her father's death who's targeting Rob's entire family.

The assassin's identity is known from the beginning. The plot ties together well and all questions are answered by the end. The relationship between the characters felt a little flat and superficial. Overall - satisfying, a good read, but not a favorite.
Pattianne
Jan 17, 2014 Pattianne rated it liked it
The Rapids - Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshall Series #3 - (Rob and Maggie) - Rob goes to the Hague together with Maggie and together they find the murder and love for each other).

Jen
Jan 24, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series. It is action packed with a dash of romance.
Bettie☯
Kristi
I picked up this book in Peru because it was the only English book I could find. Started off great but about a third of the way through I realized that this is a book in a series. It kept talking about characters I had no idea who they were and kept wondering what was going on with a main character Janssen so I ended up being confused. I still finished the book but gave it three stars because I think it could have been a little bit more of a stand alone book.
Margaret
Oh feeling kind of middle-of-the-road on this one but it's not bad - kind of easy reading for spy-suspense novel with a dash of romance. Not sure that I really got to care about the characters enough to read more in this series though ... not sure what this needs - maybe a few more plot twists - a little more drama/excitement of some kind to keep you going.
Kathryn
"Main Characters: Rob Dunnemore and Maggie Spencer.
Appearances by: Juliet Longstreet, Ethan Brooker, Nate Winter, Sarah Dunnemore, Antonia Winter, John Wesley Poe."
Mariana
Dec 15, 2009 Mariana rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Just picked up the book. It looks like there are other books that needed to be read prior to reading this one. There was not enough character development for me.
Kathy
Feb 24, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was able to follow along, even though it was evident I had not read some previous books. I am going back to read those. i enjoyed the twists in this book very much.
Anita Sego
Sep 22, 2013 Anita Sego rated it it was amazing
Carla Neggers is one of my favorite authors. I enjoy anything she writes and I have never been disappointed.
Andrea
US diplomatic security agent Maggie Spencer, Rob Dunnemore, see Nights Landing.
Mary
Jun 18, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Never disappointed by one of her books!
Melissa Hongisto
Ellen
Aug 07, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
25.3a
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Madelyn
Madelyn rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2016
Doris
Doris added it
Jan 30, 2016
Lori A. Nichols
Lori A. Nichols rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Peahen
Peahen rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
simon gopl
simon gopl is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2016
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater Trilogy #2)
  • Run for Your Life
  • Born To Be Wild
  • Shattered (High Risk, #3)
  • Dark Angel (Maplecreek, #3)
  • Everlasting Love
  • Fatal Secrets (FBI Trilogy, #2)
  • Dead End (Dead #4; John Mancini #6)
  • Dying for You (The Protectors, #30)
  • With Her Last Breath
  • Code of Honor (Special Operations, #1)
  • Bloodlines
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...

Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals (6 books)
  • Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1)
  • Night's Landing (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #2)
  • Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)
  • Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)
  • Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #6)