Start by marking “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)” as Want to Read:
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek: The Original Series)

Internal pressures, enormous military expenditures, and the destruction of their primary energy source have brought the Klingon Empire to the verge of catastrophic collapse.

To avert disaster, Gorkon, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council, proposes negotiations between the Federation and Klingon Empire, negotiations that will put an end to the years of hostility between t

Mass Market Paperback, 301 pages
Published January 1st 1992 by Pocket

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek VI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek VI

The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean LorrahUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinDoctor's Orders by Diane Duane
Best Star Trek The Original Series Books
35th out of 63 books — 54 voters
Imzadi by Peter DavidUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinHow Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford
Best Star Trek Books
194th out of 245 books — 193 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Jul 21, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
This novelization did some things better than the movie, some things not as good as the movie. Taken together, they sort of balance themselves out. The Carol Marcus/Kudao/Themis backstories helped make the crew's bitterness and bigotry make more sense than in the movie, where it seemed out of character. An interesting read, if you've seen the movie and enjoyed it.
Charles
Mar 25, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it
This is a review of the audiotape read by James Doohan.

Fans of Star Trek know that James Doohan (Scotty) began his career doing voices. He was the voice of some of the alien creatures that appeared in the original series. In this case, he is reading an abridged version of the book and movie of the same name. The reading is enhanced by sound effects and an original score.
Since this is an abbreviated version of a movie I have seen several times, my review will deal only with the quality of the
Hyowon
Jul 10, 2016 Hyowon rated it really liked it
Shelves: top100, fiction
Star Trek VI Undiscovered Country brings the Star Trek's series' underlying theme of thinking vs. feeling (or logic. vs intuition) as the main focus of the story, and thus very interesting and somewhat philosophical. I've always been intrigued by the contrasting interplay between Captain Kirk's human/intuitive approach and Mr Spock's cold logical approach - and especially how the combination of these worked so well in times of difficulties. I can imagine a completely different story, not a ...more
Mrklingon
Jun 25, 2016 Mrklingon rated it it was amazing
Turns into Science Fiction for reals.....

I'm now on a quest to read the novelizations through Nemesis at least. I've always liked these because the author has the liberty to fill in the cracks, provide motivations and even add details not in the movie. I've got the movie (at least in my head) for the visuals, but the characters and story are better served by putting it in print. For me, the general rule "the book was better," applies not ONLY for book-into-movie, but movie-into book. Thanks, Ms.
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 27, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The best of JM Dillard's movie novelizations. It's not quite reaching for the same level as Vonda McIntyre's Star Trek II adaptation, but it makes up for any stylistic safety with a great deal of imaginative continuity usage and an unabashed enthusiasm for the movie script. I had the great pleasure of spoiling the movie for myself with an advanced copy of this novel...and I was quite pleased that the actual film lived UP to its print adaptation!
Bethany
Oct 13, 2013 Bethany rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
While watching each Star Trek series from the beginning, I reached this movie just in time to leave for Italy, so I wasn't able to request it from the library like I had the others. Luckily, the book version was in the pile of star trek novels I picked up for free at a garage sale this summer, so I just threw that in my suitcase instead!

I'm interested in seeing how the movie differs when I am able to get ahold of a copy, but this seemed to be a great adaptation from what I know about it!
Joseph
Apr 03, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A good adaptation of a great movie. Dillard has a way to go before she matches her predecessor's proficiency - plot points tend to be repeated a little more than necessary, and showing occasionally gives way to telling - but I did enjoy the chance to more thoroughly witness the characters and events of the story.
Keith
Jan 01, 2014 Keith rated it liked it
This was the book that finally taught me NOT to read novelizations before their respective films. I had done this several times in the past, and was almost always let down that the movies did not meet my own imagination when I read the books in advance. The Undiscovered Country was another of these kinds of experiences for me, and it ended up being the last.
Richard Reinhar
Jul 14, 2016 Richard Reinhar rated it it was amazing
Having watched the movie many times I looked forward to reading this book and it did not disappoint. It pretty much was the movie in the form of a novel. It did provide a good backdrop ro some of the side characters. A great book. 5 out of 5 stars.
Heather Domin
Apr 27, 2009 Heather Domin rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
I find it interesting that in the novelization (which is often based on the first version of the script), the Spock/Valeris mind-meld is very different; a gesture of gallantry instead of a brutal rape. I wonder who made the decision to change it in the film.
Dee
Oct 03, 2007 Dee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody^_^
Reminds me soo much of the movie(s) and I've been a Star Trek geek for a long time^^ When I read the Star Trek books, and every time there were scenes from the film and others, I was entralled into them like the movie!
J.W. Braun
Oct 23, 2010 J.W. Braun rated it really liked it
Dillard mostly sticks to the screenplay with this one - though he adds some fun touches such as referencing the classic Star Trek episodes and throwing in Carol Marcus, Korrd and Pardek. It's a pretty good book.
Robert jones
i havet say as alawys the book is better than the movie. the way i imagined the scenes and people was much more vivid and amazing in my mind than the movie this book is a great book to recommend to any star trek fan.
Craig
Sep 21, 2015 Craig rated it really liked it
I don't tend to like movie novels that much these days, but I really liked this one. It was written well and it really made me want to watch the movie again!
Charles
Mar 28, 2009 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It's hard for me really to rate the movie tie-in books. I didn't think this movie was particularly good, so that may color my judgement on the book. It was certainly a decent read.
Stacey Schmidt
Not very good - the movie was infinitely better, but it did give a few extra details not in the movie..
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Matsuiny2004
Matsuiny2004 rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2011
Clay Davis
Clay Davis rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Will Thomas
Will Thomas rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Josh Kushins
Josh Kushins rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Nawal Saud
Nawal Saud rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2014
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Terry Basha
Terry Basha rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Liam
Liam rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Derek Strowes
Derek Strowes rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Pat C
Pat C rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: 0727843850 needs super librarian 3 14 May 04, 2014 09:38AM
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Legacy
  • Timetrap
  • Mind Meld
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Doctor's Orders
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3)
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • Crisis on Centaurus
J.M. Dillard (born 1954), is a writer of science fiction and horror.

She was born in Florida and studied at the University of South Florida, earning first a BA in Russian and then an MA in Linguistics. After college she taught English as a foreign language at the American University in Washington, D.C., before moving to the West Coast.
More about J.M. Dillard...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire