Start by marking “The Shaping of a Christian Family” as Want to Read:
The Shaping of a Christian Family

The Shaping of a Christian Family

Elisabeth Elliot, whose courage and faith have helped so many to follow Christ, is one of the most loved and respected Christian communicators of our time. In this book, she offers useful insights on the shaping of a Christian home and family.

Christian parents have a responsibility to raise their children using scriptural principles. Using examples from her own childhood,

Published July 1st 2000 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Shaping of a Christian Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaping of a Christian Family

Trace
Dec 17, 2012 Trace rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I likely would have given this book 5 stars but for one not-so-little thing... the author advocated spanking as a necessary form of discipline. Normally, once I encounter an author who is pro-spanking, I will not continue reading the book and I will choose not to read anything else from that author. Because normally I just can't take someone seriously who believes in hitting children and I certainly don't trust them. And if there is no trust - why choose to read their words? there are many other ...more
Olivia
Mar 04, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. It was full of Elisabeth Elliot's normal family life as a child and growing up. Of her parents life before they were married, of how they nurtured their children to live right, and how even after their children were grown they encouraged them in the Lord. It was a great example of a godly family. Be guaranteed to learn much through yet another wonderful book by Elisabeth Elliot.
*Only thing that bothered me was the four or so different Bible versions used throughout t
Amanda Emerson
May 08, 2016 Amanda Emerson rated it it was amazing
I'm fairly certain that at the end of the year this will be one of my favorite books that I read in 2016. Elisabeth Elliot shares what it was like to grow up in the Howard family as a child. Not only was this book incredibly interesting, but it was inspiring! I felt so encouraged in my role as a mother to be intentional in the type of home life that Brandon and I provide for our children. I hope and pray that one day all of our children could look back and say that their parents did all that the ...more
Samantha Dixon
Sep 07, 2015 Samantha Dixon rated it liked it
Shelves: family
The Howards and Elliots were admirable Christian families. I'll be reading this again in another season of life.
Ieva Andersone
Jul 24, 2016 Ieva Andersone rated it really liked it
The book is a real life story of the author's childhood. As such it is a good read, offering an insight in the life of a religious family between the world wars. There are things and ideas to take away from their life even if you're not a Christian: how to keep an orderly life, how to not get insane and in chaos when raising 6 kids. Lots of useful advice for Christians: keeping regular prayers, reading scripture. However, it is not a parenting advice book and should not be read as such. Certain ...more
Purva Brown
Feb 25, 2016 Purva Brown rated it did not like it
She really needed an editor on this one. While I love her other writing and her as a person, I found this book overly sentimental and quite annoying and it didn't let up until the bitter end.
Jamie
Oct 11, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
It took me nearly a year to make my way through this book. It was excellent. Many wonderful ideas, lots of great encouragement for parenting. At the same time, it is very much ONE family's particular story, and as it is told from Elisabeth Elliot's perspective as an adult after many years had past, it is definitely not a manual for how to have a Christian family... just one family's story. But it is a good one.

I did find myself discouraged in several places, feeling like I could never do as well
Eric Taylor
Jul 23, 2015 Eric Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent example of the life and patterns of a Christian family. Easy and fun to read.
Shannon
If you've ever wondered what Elisabeth Elliot's growing up years were like, or what kind of home and family she was part and product of, read this book. It's primarily the testimony of her life and family, and it is a beautiful picture of a God-honoring one. If it were merely the story of those days, it would contain plenty of material to aid and inspire any family who seeks to honor God. Additional to the powerful testimony are many Scripture passages and quotes from other good sources as well ...more
Hope
Sep 29, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it
A wonderful biography of Elisabeth Elliot's parents.
Andrea Jardon
May 13, 2012 Andrea Jardon rated it it was amazing
Wow! Every book I have been reading this year is just incredible. This is a biography of Elisabeth Elliot's childhood, how her parents raised her and her 5 siblings according to God's will for their family. It is such an encouragement and awakens incredibly a desire for my family to experience the same! Definitely recommend for encouragement to all those believers out there looking for an example of how parents raised their children in Christ and the amazing outcome of 6 God-fearing children bec ...more
Bob
Jul 18, 2012 Bob rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, parenting
This book wasn't what I was expecting: It's mostly Elisabeth Elliot's parents' biography, interspersed with parenting advice. The biography part was okay, but since it wasn't what I was expecting I was a little disappointed that it took so much of the book. The parenting advice was good, but kind of the nostalgic "back in MY day" kind of advice that just seems to bemoan that the world changes over time. I took away a few good lessons from the book, but overall I wasn't very impressed.
Josh L
Apr 11, 2012 Josh L rated it really liked it
You can find my full review at Quieted Waters.

“No amount of talking penetrates as deeply as example,” writes Elisabeth Elliot, and the pages of this book are permeated with that philosophy. Elliot frequently reminds the reader that this is simply a memoir of how one family raised honest, disciplined, godly children — it is not to be taken as a step-by-step how-to guide.
Peyton
Sep 30, 2015 Peyton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazing, elliot
This is one of the best books on parenting I have read! I totally recommend it and it inspired me. Elliot once again hits the bulls eye!
Sheila
May 18, 2015 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012, book-club
I have read this book at least 5 times and it is always a fresh read. Building character into your family through daily living and example. Elliot's book read as more of a memoir of her parents' families and their lives. However, in the end, it provides some wonderful examples for parents seeking to establish a Godly home where young hearts are inclined to Him and His ways all their lives.
Clarissa
Sep 22, 2012 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely look into the life of a Christian family. It is not to be prescriptive for all but merelyl descriptive of the author's upbringing. It was encouraging, challenged me in some areas and was just an inspiring read. I look forward my next Elizabeth Elliot book. I am thankful for these older women who, in true Titus 2 fashion, encourage the younger women.
May 09, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
lovely! I thought this was going to be a 'how to do it book,' but I was pleasantly surprised that Elliot simply told the story of her family, and elaborated on the special training that her family had. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who's starting a family, or who just wants to know how Eliot grew up.
Krista
Aug 21, 2008 Krista rated it liked it
Let me explain the 3 stars......the material is amazing. It has great insight to raising a wonderful Godly family which seems to be a lost art in most families...however, the style of writing was extremely hard to keep my attention...at little too frilly for me. The journal entries were a bore to me. :-)
Amber
May 07, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing glimpse into the day to day of an American Christian household, raising children, trusting God and living life. Creating an atmosphere of acceptance and love at home, while still instilling a Godly heritage has not been lost to us through time. It can still be done!
Kappi Hamilton
Feb 18, 2008 Kappi Hamilton rated it really liked it
I have always been curious as to what made Elizabeth Elliot the giant of faith that she is....even a little intimidated by her seemingly unswerving faith. This book made her more human to me...in a great way. It is a story of family in which she grew up....a godly family...
Ashley
Jan 04, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Wow. I have applied several lesson from this book to my relationship with Mike as well as raising my girls. I have given this book as a baby gift several times and highly recommend it to anyone with a family or any one who one day wants a family. Incredible.
Lindsay
Jul 13, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
The first few chapters are hard to read because she goes into a lot of family history, but after breezing through those the rest of practical biblical encouragement on child training is fabulous. A great resource that has stood the test of time!
Sara Shipley
Aug 25, 2009 Sara Shipley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Elisabeth Elliot, and this book is wonderful because it talks about the simple grounded truths of raising a family and helping to nurture there faith and character.
April
Jan 15, 2016 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2014
Despite the dated style and mostly biographical first half, this was one of the best parenting books in terms of overall philosophy that I've read.
Stacy Durham
Jul 25, 2008 Stacy Durham rated it it was amazing
What an incredible teaching on raising a family with the honor and respect the Lord deserves. Gained much wisdom from this book:)
Tammy Jost
Jul 12, 2010 Tammy Jost rated it it was amazing
A great book to be seen as an example of a strong Christian family.
Darrah
Aug 04, 2008 Darrah rated it it was amazing
Such an encouraging testimony of a family's devotion to the Lord.
Virginia Knowles
I'm not sure I'll ever live up to this book, but I can try!
Mystie Winckler
Own. -- review coming later.
Crystal
  • What Is a Family?
  • Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and Not Be Overwhelmed
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • The Heart of Anger: Practical Help for Prevention and Cure of Anger in Children
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart for Eternity
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Home-Making
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing the Large Family
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • For the Family's Sake
  • Idols of the Heart: Learning to Long for God Alone
  • How to Raise Selfless Kids in a Self-Centered World
From the Author's Web Site: My parents were missionaries in Belgium where I was born. When I was a few months old, we came to the U.S. and lived in Germantown, not far from Philadelphia, where my father became an editor of the Sunday School Times. Some of my contemporaries may remember the publication which was used by hundreds of churches for their weekly unified Sunday School teaching materials. ...more
More about Elisabeth Elliot...