Start by marking “If I Could Tell You: A Novel” as Want to Read:
If I Could Tell You: A Novel

Read eBook

If I Could Tell You: A Novel

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Anne. Talia. Ruthie. Brett. Four very different New York women. But when their children are diagnosed with autism, they all find themselves struggling with the same problem. Suddenly, these women – an ex-model who owns a downtown bar, a high-powered magazine editor, an English professor, and a physical therapist – find that they need each other, as they face the ultimate c ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Vantage Point (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about If I Could Tell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Could Tell You

Elizabeth
Jul 15, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Incredible! Makes me re-think so many things that have and are going on in my life, and how ignorant I am when it comes to the realities about "most things" autism.

This is a compelling and WOW! read for anyone!

I knew the author, Hannah Brown, from H.S. and we re-connected recently. What a courageous, tenacious, loving, empathic, "exhausted yet never leaving one more stone unturned to help her child" mother, activist, and advocate for all she has become...

Knowing Hannah even just a bit, made re
Arthur Wiggins
Apr 19, 2012 Arthur Wiggins rated it it was amazing
Hannah Brown is a fabulous story-teller. It takes great talent to weave four stands of people’s lives into a coherent whole, while maintaining each character’s distinctive voice, but that is exactly what she does.

While the story line itself entertains, even including the modern requisites of sex and violence, there’s way more going on here than in a typical novel. Brown presents the mystery and reality of autism, which binds together the characters in this story. By the book’s end, the reader wi
Kate Hewitt
Jul 01, 2013 Kate Hewitt rated it it was amazing
This book was a quick read but also thought-provoking concerning issues around autism, its causes and treatments and also how parents cope with the diagnosis. If that all sounds a bit too much like a self-help book for you, this is very much a novel. I enjoyed it tremendously, and I have a relative with autism so I appreciated the insight.
Arda Aghazarian
Mar 15, 2012 Arda Aghazarian rated it really liked it
I was actually honored to read the manuscript before this book was published, as it was written by a good friend of mine. I look forward to having a copy of this book someday, and to read it again.
Miriam
Feb 21, 2015 Miriam rated it it was amazing
"If I Could Tell You" is the story of one year in the lives of four women living in New York City, who are brought together in a support group for parents who have children with autism. The novel weaves together the stories of each woman's life with a lot of information about autism, different types of treatment, and what it is like to raise a child with autism. The reader is drawn into the marriages, friendships, and daily struggles of the four women who are all trying to do the best they can t ...more
Barb Mcannany
Sep 16, 2015 Barb Mcannany rated it it was amazing
I just participated in a book club interview with the author. She is articulate and passionate about the subject of autism. The book captured my attention right from the start. The characters are genuine, funny and likeable despite or maybe because of their flaws. Loved it.
Darlene
May 16, 2014 Darlene rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for all parents. A great story about different mothers with special need children. Heart breaking at times and laugh out loud other times. I loved it.
Mandy
Mar 16, 2013 Mandy rated it liked it
Had a hard time reading this, was a bit slow to start. As a mom with a child on the spectrum I did find myself getting emotional about the story line at times. However, there were several scenes throughout that I felt weren't as relatable, especially how insecure all of the women seemed when it came to their children's therapies. We all struggle with insecurities in life, especially as parents and doubly with special needs children but my first instinct as a mom is to protect my kid. The parts w ...more
Karen
Jan 03, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
This was a bit better than 3 stars but not 4. This novel about a support group for parents with autistic kids is a novel that feels a lot like a non-fiction book. With this confused identity it didn't quite succeed as either, but it does offer insight into the challenging life of living with an autistic child.
Abdullah H.
Feb 13, 2013 Abdullah H. rated it really liked it
As a reader of non-fiction/how to books, this was the first novel
I have read in over a year.
Honestly, I could not put it down.
I was very impressed by Hannah Brown.
It created more awareness for me on the subject matter.
At times, I was disturbed. I smiled, laughed, wept and was even perplexed.
And it did what a novel is supposed to do: entertain.
Andrea
Aug 22, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autism
Although the drama between the characters is fictional, the struggles the families endured were real. As an educator of students with autism, I thought the techniques the families used to help educate their children with autism were true to life. I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to others!
Linda Trexler
Jun 29, 2013 Linda Trexler rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book and learned a lot. Hats off to all parents who deal with children with special needs. You are very special.
John Harney
Jul 15, 2012 John Harney rated it really liked it
A friend writes a novel. With some trepidation, you begin reading it and discover . . that it's a very good book.
Connie Vogelgesang
Jun 29, 2013 Connie Vogelgesang rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up
nothing new. nothing helpful or enlightening for me
Lana
Lana rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Anoop Yadav
Anoop Yadav rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2016
Mary Schneider
Mary Schneider marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Emmy Lindberg
Emmy Lindberg marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Kate's Reads
Kate's Reads marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Roberta Kruse
Roberta Kruse rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Liesa Brett
Liesa Brett rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2015
C. Sills
C. Sills marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Diana Rosenfelder
Diana Rosenfelder rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Mags
Mags marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Helene
Helene marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Sukoshi311
Sukoshi311 marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014