Start by marking “If I Could Tell You: A Novel” as Want to Read:
If I Could Tell You: A Novel
Open Preview read ebook

If I Could Tell You: A Novel

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Anne. Talia. Ruthie. Brett. Four very different New York women. But when their children are diagnosed with autism, they all find themselves struggling with the same problem. Suddenly, these women – an ex-model who owns a downtown bar, a high-powered magazine editor, an English professor, and a physical therapist – find that they need each other, as they face the ultimate c ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Vantage Point (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about If I Could Tell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Could Tell You

Elizabeth
Incredible! Makes me re-think so many things that have and are going on in my life, and how ignorant I am when it comes to the realities about "most things" autism.

This is a compelling and WOW! read for anyone!

I knew the author, Hannah Brown, from H.S. and we re-connected recently. What a courageous, tenacious, loving, empathic, "exhausted yet never leaving one more stone unturned to help her child" mother, activist, and advocate for all she has become...

Knowing Hannah even just a bit, made re
Arthur Wiggins
Hannah Brown is a fabulous story-teller. It takes great talent to weave four stands of people’s lives into a coherent whole, while maintaining each character’s distinctive voice, but that is exactly what she does.

While the story line itself entertains, even including the modern requisites of sex and violence, there’s way more going on here than in a typical novel. Brown presents the mystery and reality of autism, which binds together the characters in this story. By the book’s end, the reader wi
Kate Hewitt
This book was a quick read but also thought-provoking concerning issues around autism, its causes and treatments and also how parents cope with the diagnosis. If that all sounds a bit too much like a self-help book for you, this is very much a novel. I enjoyed it tremendously, and I have a relative with autism so I appreciated the insight.
Arda Aghazarian
I was actually honored to read the manuscript before this book was published, as it was written by a good friend of mine. I look forward to having a copy of this book someday, and to read it again.
Darlene
This is a wonderful book for all parents. A great story about different mothers with special need children. Heart breaking at times and laugh out loud other times. I loved it.
Mandy
Had a hard time reading this, was a bit slow to start. As a mom with a child on the spectrum I did find myself getting emotional about the story line at times. However, there were several scenes throughout that I felt weren't as relatable, especially how insecure all of the women seemed when it came to their children's therapies. We all struggle with insecurities in life, especially as parents and doubly with special needs children but my first instinct as a mom is to protect my kid. The parts w ...more
Karen
This was a bit better than 3 stars but not 4. This novel about a support group for parents with autistic kids is a novel that feels a lot like a non-fiction book. With this confused identity it didn't quite succeed as either, but it does offer insight into the challenging life of living with an autistic child.
Abdullah H.
As a reader of non-fiction/how to books, this was the first novel
I have read in over a year.
Honestly, I could not put it down.
I was very impressed by Hannah Brown.
It created more awareness for me on the subject matter.
At times, I was disturbed. I smiled, laughed, wept and was even perplexed.
And it did what a novel is supposed to do: entertain.
Andrea
Although the drama between the characters is fictional, the struggles the families endured were real. As an educator of students with autism, I thought the techniques the families used to help educate their children with autism were true to life. I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to others!
Linda Trexler
I enjoyed the book and learned a lot. Hats off to all parents who deal with children with special needs. You are very special.
John Harney
A friend writes a novel. With some trepidation, you begin reading it and discover . . that it's a very good book.
Connie Vogelgesang
nothing new. nothing helpful or enlightening for me
Sukoshi311
Sukoshi311 marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Bryan E Minier
Bryan E Minier marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Ahuva Kohanteb
Ahuva Kohanteb marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Douglas Tatelman
Douglas Tatelman marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Aisha
Aisha marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Tricia Plummer
Tricia Plummer marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013