Start by marking “Keep a Quiet Heart” as Want to Read:
Keep a Quiet Heart

Keep a Quiet Heart

When life gets too busy, too impersonal, and too much to handle, it's time to turn to God for some peace and quiet. Keep a Quiet Heart is a unique collection of some of Elisabeth's best work from her newsletter. More than 100 short passages offer a bit of relief from everyday life as they point the reader toward the everlasting love and peace of God.
Published September 1st 2004 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Keep a Quiet Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep a Quiet Heart

Leslie
Aug 28, 2012 Leslie rated it it was amazing
I feel honored to have spent a month or two with Elisabeth Elliot. This book was timely because we faced a severe grief this summer that made space for the mysterious, quiet heart of which she speaks (or better yet, the need of it).

Keep a Quiet Heart is a collection of her articles featured in her newsletter, which is printed six times a year. Reading this book is like coming to her kitchen each morning for a cup of coffee and a lesson in faith. Its central message is to know and love the Lord
Jeanie
Oct 01, 2011 Jeanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rachel Schwagerman; Hannah Schwagerman
There is scripture on keeping a quiet heart. "But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price" I Peter 3:4. Elisabeth Elliott takes many topics from faith, Why God, Suffering,work, prayer, marriage, abortion, children, and with a story and scripture, how our hearts can be quiet and surrender to God's sovereignity in our lives. I loved her candor, the simplicity and the need for ...more
Ashley
Jan 04, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I go back to several times a year for wisdom. It has been a life changing book for me. A quiet heart is something I still long for and pray for.

If you also long for one you need to read this book.
Feb 06, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so, so good, I never wanted it to end. It encouraged me, challenged me, and helped deepen m understanding of God.
Becky Pliego
We all need to be exposed to the influence of godly women like Elisabeth Elliot in our life.
Trace
Jul 02, 2016 Trace rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-faith
4.5 star rating.

I am so thankful for Elisabeth Elliot's refreshingly honest and often pithy viewpoints. She is among a dying breed of Christian women. When you read her work, you can tell that this is a woman who has put in years of time spent on her knees worshiping God and that she's known pain and difficulty.

Her essays and thoughts have MUCH depth to them. I find it difficult to read many of the popular blogs of Christian women because they lack this sort of intellectual depth and experienc
Jun 12, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I read this in conjunction with my morning quiet times, and I can't even express how blessed I was by it. Every morning I came away with a better understanding of my role in this world and, most importantly, God. I was refreshed, my heart was quieted, and my love for the Father grew. I highly recommend this for any woman at any stage of life, but particularly for married women and young mothers.
Ron Lohrbach
May 28, 2008 Ron Lohrbach marked it as to-read
How I located:

This piece about an ant’s fortuitously retrieving a mountain climber’s lost contact lensis a charming enough parable about the concept that the Lord may sometimes call upon us to bear burdens for reasons we do not understand (but which ultimately prove beneficial to ourselves or to others), although its circulation on the internet has resulted in a widespread misattribution.

Josh and Karen Zarandona are not the authors ot this item: they’re merely two people whose names became atta
Grace
Sep 23, 2007 Grace rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: devotionals
Elizabeth Elliot is a master at understanding Human Nature. Her insights in this book (which is a collection of short devotionals written over a period of several years) are amazing. She can tell just what you're thinking, and sometimes the application the day's reading has to the day's events are uncanny. It's like she's speaking just to you, for just this day, and just this problem.

I read this book at kind of a difficult growing time (story of my life), and it really made an impression on me.
Melanie
Mar 23, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotionals
I first got this book from a friend in 1995 so the inscription in front reads. I pull it out every few years to read it. You can either read a story each morning for a devotional time, or read the stories through. Elisabeth Elliot is a dynamic writer, missionary, encourager. I strongly recommend this book that has stood the test of time if you want to feel connected to others in the body of Christ.
Chloe
Jul 14, 2015 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Elisabeth Elliot writes a remarkable blend of old-fashioned Christianity--the deep, lasting sort made of faith that has been tested in the flame--with a firm understanding of the challenges facing Christian women today. An excellent devotional full of solid advice and spiritual truths, her individual essays are often only a few pages, making them the perfect dose of encouragement for a busy mother or student.

Aside: I finished this book a few weeks after its author passed away. I felt, though I h
Alicia Ruggieri
Perfect for including in your morning quiet time/devotions, this collection of short (most are 1-3 pages) articles from Elisabeth Elliot's newsletters touch on many, many subjects in the Christian's everyday life: marriage, true manhood/womanhood, devotional life, missionary work, church troubles, child-raising, worry, and so on. Every time I read this, I gain new insights; the Lord has deeply used this mature, thinking woman to shape my thoughts and heart.

Highly recommended for any young adult/
Shu Yi Lee
Aug 11, 2015 Shu Yi Lee rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me that above all, God can be trusted to be in charge of our lives as we commit them to him, faithfully doing what we need to do each step of the way.

Some memorable (and spoilery) parts of the book:

The original sin, pride, is behind my "poor self-image", for I felt that I deserved better than I got, which is exactly what Eve felt! So it was pride, not poor self-image, that had to go. If I'm so beautiful and lovable, what was Jesus doing up there, nailed to the cross and crow
Grace
Aug 24, 2016 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs encouragement
Such a beautiful, spiritually refreshing read!

It's a compilation of short essays and articles, all of which can be read and digested in 5-10 minutes, so if you tend to read in short bits of time it's perfect for you.

It covers many different topics and there will be something for everything.

Elizabeth Elliot's writing is beautiful, encouraging, and thought-provoking, yet easy to understand and very accessible.

Highly recommended!
Melissa Rapp
Apr 17, 2014 Melissa Rapp rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of different articles that Elisabeth Elliot has written. It is not a linear book so it is very nice to pick it up where I left off to read something edifying and encouraging. She comes from a solid biblical perspective and has so much wisdom; gleaned from the word of God. I love this book so far!
Janae
Dec 28, 2015 Janae rated it it was amazing
Really, really good. I love the way she writes as if you were having a chit chat with her. A woman after God's heart
Charlee Ann
Jun 26, 2016 Charlee Ann rated it liked it
I got some really good things out of this book! Don't get me wrong, but I also disagree with a lot in this book. I felt like some ideas were too extreme and I found the book to be packed with the Reformed theology which I do not agree with. Also, I found a lot of contradictory statements pertaining to Reformed theology vs. free will. As a Christian, I believe Elizabeth Elliot's heart was in the right place and she is a very godly woman. I enjoyed this book a lot!
Rachel
May 07, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This by far has been the most influential book I have ever read. Elisabeth Elliot has such a beautiful way of describing things and sharing profound lessons that I know will stick with me the rest of my life. I wish I could buy everyone I know a copy of this book. I can guarantee I will be rereading this book very soon. It works as a great morning devotional and while her words are encouraging, they are also very challenging. I seriously recommend this book needing a revival or boost in their sp ...more
Christy
Feb 27, 2016 Christy rated it it was amazing
So, so good, wise, and practical. I'm sure I'll come back to this one in the future.
Kathleen Schambach
Apr 11, 2015 Kathleen Schambach rated it it was amazing
Convicting, encouraging, motivating, and calming. A book every christian should read.
B.cres
Jan 19, 2016 B.cres rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book of essays, so encouraging!
Elizabeth
5.50 redeemed
Christina
Aug 20, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I hadn't read EE in years and enjoyed this book, which is a collection of articles from her monthly newsletter. It is grouped by topic, but can still seem a bit choppy.
There is a lot of great wisdom here. I particularly enjoyed the insights on joyful work as an example to our children, living a faithful "hidden" life (what is unseen by others and only by God), and the section on the Christian home. Some might find EE's advice a bit old-fashioned and out of date, but I was greatly encouraged and
Ms.Kim
Feb 20, 2016 Ms.Kim rated it really liked it
Many gems!
Keith
Jun 07, 2016 Keith rated it it was amazing
Solid stuff. Helped me trust God more fully. I skipped the last part of the book on parenting.
Becca
Aug 02, 2016 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to any woman in any stage of life. Elisabeth Elliot speaks wisdom learned through experience and her own study of the Scriptures. Her words read in a conversational way, sometimes deeply spiritual, and sometimes very practical (for example, lessons in parenting). I took my time with this book and savored the little "nuggets" of wisdom given. Definitely looking forward to passing this one on.
Crystal
Aug 05, 2008 Crystal rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
I enjoyed this book! It is comprised of small chapters from Mrs. Elliot's newsletter. It would be a great read for a daily devotional. It covers a variety of issues we face in our daily walk with our Lord.

My favorite chapters:
The World Must Be Shown p.191

Tracy
Feb 10, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
For many years Elizabeth Elliot has been one of my favorite authors. She consistently challenges me to deepen my relationship with God. This book consists of short essays on many subjects taken from a newsletter she used to write. I found it encouraging, convicting, and of course challenging. It is the kind of book I like to keep by my bedside to refer to again and again.
  • If
  • Home-Making
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • What's the Difference?: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible
  • A Place of Quiet Rest: Finding Intimacy With God Through a Daily Devotional Life
  • Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality
  • Disciplines of a Godly Woman
From the Author's Web Site: My parents were missionaries in Belgium where I was born. When I was a few months old, we came to the U.S. and lived in Germantown, not far from Philadelphia, where my father became an editor of the Sunday School Times. Some of my contemporaries may remember the publication which was used by hundreds of churches for their weekly unified Sunday School teaching materials. ...more
More about Elisabeth Elliot...

“Leave it all in the Hands that were wounded for you” 99 likes
“The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.” 42 likes