Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level

Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A leading executive coach pinpoints three vital traits necessary to advance your careerIn "Getting Ahead," one of the top 50 executive coaches in the United States, Joel Garfinkle reveals his signature model for mastering three skills to take your career to the next level: Perception, Visibility, and Influence.

The PVI-model of professional advancement will teach you to: (1...more
Published August 4th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons

Thomas
So, here's the deal: this book actually has some pretty good advice. No, seriously, I'm not just saying this because it's very similar to what I would tell others who want to advance in their careers. The tough thing is, the book is really, really boring. There are two kind of good bits, where the author tells the story of people who exemplify the practices he is recommending, but the rest of it is basically forgettable. Nonetheless, I'm giving it three stars because it does offer good advice an...more
Jacob
In September of this year our online book group read “Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level” by Joel Garfinkle. Joel is one of America’s top 50 executive coaches and the author of several books. This, his latest work, is designed to act as a guide to help people move forward in their careers.

The book makes a baseline assumption that high performance is in place and that other factors are preventing one from advancing. The book focuses on three factors; perception, visi...more
Jary Welker
A great concept that went just too long. Because I read this as part of The Twelve Books Club, and this was the September book choice, I have to say I read with a different agenda. My career is at a different place than many who may read this and so what I gained will certainly be different than a 30 some year old female trying to move forward in what has been a male world or a young male seeking to break out from a the shadows of a large corporate world. The PVI Model (Perception, Visibility an...more
Casey Wheeler
As a matter of disclosure I received this book as a core reviewer for the 12 Books Group with the expectation that I will post reviews on Goodreads, Amazon, my Blog and participate in the monthly discussion on Goodreads.

I found this book by Joel Garfinkle interesting in that it clearly lays out how one can advance their careers. This book is especially helpful if you are working in a larger organization, but it is also applicable to smaller ones.

Joel breaks the process down into three steps: Imp...more
Robin
Great book with advice about how to improve perception (control how others see you), increase your visibility (stand out and get noticed by the people who matter most) and exert your influence (up, down and laterally). The book included practical steps action steps and questions to ponder to help reach your goals. Good blueprint for someone starting out in their career and also an excellent refresher for someone more experienced. The book includes references to Joel's website where you can take...more
Susan Beamon
This is one of those business books that could double as a self-help book. His idea, that you need to do more than just maximize performance, can translate into your off-work life, although his focus is life in the corporate world.
His program consists of what he calls PVI: Perception, Visibility, and Influence. Being a good or skillful worker is kind of worthless to your future if those around you don't know you exist. PVI is the blueprint to change that.
Bryan Callicott
Bryan Callicott marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Steven Zachary
Steven Zachary marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Ronald
Ronald marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Wayne Simon
Wayne Simon marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Edmund Ang
Edmund Ang marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Jorge Moreira
Jorge Moreira marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Gowthaman
Gowthaman marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Prashanth Jnanendra
Prashanth Jnanendra marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Ucleden
Ucleden marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Ashlee
Ashlee marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Fad
Fad marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Beau Kramer
Beau Kramer marked it as to-read
Josephnovak
Josephnovak marked it as to-read
Gautam
Gautam marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 next »
12 Books - Author...: Getting Ahead by Joel Garfinkle - September 2013 31 58 Sep 26, 2013 11:54AM
Recognized as one of the best: Acknowledged as one of the top 50 executive coaches in America.

Client list: Google, Amazon, Starbucks, Procter & Gamble, Bank of America, Microsoft, Oracle, Deloitte, The Ritz-Carlton and many more.

Years of experience: 17 years of executive coaching experience.

Author: Written 7 books and over 300+ articles on leadership.

Featured in National Media: ABC News, NPR,...more
More about Joel Garfinkle...