Start by marking “Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level” as Want to Read:
Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level

Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A leading executive coach pinpoints three vital traits necessary to advance your careerIn "Getting Ahead," one of the top 50 executive coaches in the United States, Joel Garfinkle reveals his signature model for mastering three skills to take your career to the next level: Perception, Visibility, and Influence.

The PVI-model of professional advancement will teach you to: (1
Published August 4th 2011 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Getting Ahead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Ahead

Thomas
So, here's the deal: this book actually has some pretty good advice. No, seriously, I'm not just saying this because it's very similar to what I would tell others who want to advance in their careers. The tough thing is, the book is really, really boring. There are two kind of good bits, where the author tells the story of people who exemplify the practices he is recommending, but the rest of it is basically forgettable. Nonetheless, I'm giving it three stars because it does offer good advice an ...more
Kevin Eikenberry
As a career management book, I believe it is excellent, however, I believe it can be more than. You might want to consciously build your skills to help you get a new assignment or a promotion, yet along the way, the building of those skills will help you be better in your current role – leading more effectively, helping your team (and yourself) be more productive and so much more. - See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Jacob
In September of this year our online book group read “Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level” by Joel Garfinkle. Joel is one of America’s top 50 executive coaches and the author of several books. This, his latest work, is designed to act as a guide to help people move forward in their careers.

The book makes a baseline assumption that high performance is in place and that other factors are preventing one from advancing. The book focuses on three factors; perception, visi
Jary Welker
A great concept that went just too long. Because I read this as part of The Twelve Books Club, and this was the September book choice, I have to say I read with a different agenda. My career is at a different place than many who may read this and so what I gained will certainly be different than a 30 some year old female trying to move forward in what has been a male world or a young male seeking to break out from a the shadows of a large corporate world. The PVI Model (Perception, Visibility an ...more
Casey Wheeler
As a matter of disclosure I received this book as a core reviewer for the 12 Books Group with the expectation that I will post reviews on Goodreads, Amazon, my Blog and participate in the monthly discussion on Goodreads.

I found this book by Joel Garfinkle interesting in that it clearly lays out how one can advance their careers. This book is especially helpful if you are working in a larger organization, but it is also applicable to smaller ones.

Joel breaks the process down into three steps: Imp
Ilya Mrz
Sep 10, 2014 Ilya Mrz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ms
+++good. If you have a job. Even if you have own the biz or a project. This book will give to you very good vision about possibilities to act forward your desire.
Robin
Great book with advice about how to improve perception (control how others see you), increase your visibility (stand out and get noticed by the people who matter most) and exert your influence (up, down and laterally). The book included practical steps action steps and questions to ponder to help reach your goals. Good blueprint for someone starting out in their career and also an excellent refresher for someone more experienced. The book includes references to Joel's website where you can take ...more
Susan Beamon
This is one of those business books that could double as a self-help book. His idea, that you need to do more than just maximize performance, can translate into your off-work life, although his focus is life in the corporate world.
His program consists of what he calls PVI: Perception, Visibility, and Influence. Being a good or skillful worker is kind of worthless to your future if those around you don't know you exist. PVI is the blueprint to change that.
Jack Keating
Jack Keating marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
John Taranto
John Taranto marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Richard Steele
Richard Steele marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Beth Kiesel
Beth Kiesel marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Prasad Sawant
Prasad Sawant marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Nessa
Nessa marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Rinoc
Rinoc marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Patty Thomas
Patty Thomas is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Chelsey
Chelsey marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Tushar Goyal
Tushar Goyal marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Derek Zhang
Derek Zhang is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
Mousemartyr
Mousemartyr marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Shauna Lambert
Shauna Lambert marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
12 Books - Author...: Getting Ahead by Joel Garfinkle - September 2013 31 59 Sep 26, 2013 11:54AM
Recognized as one of the best: Acknowledged as one of the top 50 executive coaches in America.

Client list: Google, Amazon, Starbucks, Procter & Gamble, Bank of America, Microsoft, Oracle, Deloitte, The Ritz-Carlton and many more.

Years of experience: 17 years of executive coaching experience.

Author: Written 7 books and over 300+ articles on leadership.

Featured in National Media: ABC News, NPR,
More about Joel Garfinkle...