Start by marking “Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level” as Want to Read:
Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level

Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level

A leading executive coach pinpoints three vital traits necessary to advance your career In Getting Ahead, one of the top 50 executive coaches in the United States, Joel Garfinkle reveals his signature model for mastering three skills to take your career to the next level: Perception, Visibility, and Influence.

The PVI-model of professional advancement will teach you to: (1)
Published August 4th 2011 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Getting Ahead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Ahead

Jary Welker
Sep 23, 2013 Jary Welker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great concept that went just too long. Because I read this as part of The Twelve Books Club, and this was the September book choice, I have to say I read with a different agenda. My career is at a different place than many who may read this and so what I gained will certainly be different than a 30 some year old female trying to move forward in what has been a male world or a young male seeking to break out from a the shadows of a large corporate world. The PVI Model (Perception, Visibility an ...more
Casey Wheeler
As a matter of disclosure I received this book as a core reviewer for the 12 Books Group with the expectation that I will post reviews on Goodreads, Amazon, my Blog and participate in the monthly discussion on Goodreads.

I found this book by Joel Garfinkle interesting in that it clearly lays out how one can advance their careers. This book is especially helpful if you are working in a larger organization, but it is also applicable to smaller ones.

Joel breaks the process down into three steps: Imp
Jacob
Sep 10, 2013 Jacob rated it really liked it
In September of this year our online book group read “Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level” by Joel Garfinkle. Joel is one of America’s top 50 executive coaches and the author of several books. This, his latest work, is designed to act as a guide to help people move forward in their careers.

The book makes a baseline assumption that high performance is in place and that other factors are preventing one from advancing. The book focuses on three factors; perception, visi
Thomas
Apr 06, 2014 Thomas rated it liked it
So, here's the deal: this book actually has some pretty good advice. No, seriously, I'm not just saying this because it's very similar to what I would tell others who want to advance in their careers. The tough thing is, the book is really, really boring. There are two kind of good bits, where the author tells the story of people who exemplify the practices he is recommending, but the rest of it is basically forgettable. Nonetheless, I'm giving it three stars because it does offer good advice an ...more
Robin
Aug 31, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
Great book with advice about how to improve perception (control how others see you), increase your visibility (stand out and get noticed by the people who matter most) and exert your influence (up, down and laterally). The book included practical steps action steps and questions to ponder to help reach your goals. Good blueprint for someone starting out in their career and also an excellent refresher for someone more experienced. The book includes references to Joel's website where you can take ...more
Kevin Eikenberry
As a career management book, I believe it is excellent, however, I believe it can be more than. You might want to consciously build your skills to help you get a new assignment or a promotion, yet along the way, the building of those skills will help you be better in your current role – leading more effectively, helping your team (and yourself) be more productive and so much more. - See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Susan Beamon
Sep 17, 2013 Susan Beamon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those business books that could double as a self-help book. His idea, that you need to do more than just maximize performance, can translate into your off-work life, although his focus is life in the corporate world.
His program consists of what he calls PVI: Perception, Visibility, and Influence. Being a good or skillful worker is kind of worthless to your future if those around you don't know you exist. PVI is the blueprint to change that.
Ilya Mrz
Sep 10, 2014 Ilya Mrz rated it really liked it
Shelves: ms
+++good. If you have a job. Even if you have own the biz or a project. This book will give to you very good vision about possibilities to act forward your desire.
Akhil
Nov 27, 2016 Akhil rated it really liked it
Good for individuals working in multinational companies. Not the best of his work but not his worse either.
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Jagadeesh
Jagadeesh rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
Cherie Samolinski
Cherie Samolinski rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2017
Luis
Luis rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Lars Axelsen
Lars Axelsen rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Jeff Anyomi
Jeff Anyomi rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Mary Sue Dahill
Mary Sue Dahill rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Amanda Trothier
Amanda Trothier rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Gabriel Terrel
Gabriel Terrel rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Mike Thompson
Mike Thompson rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Andrea Angella
Andrea Angella rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Stijn
Stijn rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Kim sutphen
Kim sutphen rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Prokleta
Prokleta rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Matt V.
Matt V. rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2016
Gayle Novack
Gayle Novack rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
12 Books - Author...: Getting Ahead by Joel Garfinkle - September 2013 31 59 Sep 26, 2013 11:54AM
5204016
Recognized as one of the best: Acknowledged as one of the top 50 executive coaches in America.

Client list: Google, Amazon, Starbucks, Procter & Gamble, Bank of America, Microsoft, Oracle, Deloitte, The Ritz-Carlton and many more.

Years of experience: 17 years of executive coaching experience.

Author: Written 7 books and over 300+ articles on leadership.

Featured in National Media: ABC News, NPR,
More about Joel Garfinkle...