Start by marking “Flabbersmashed About You” as Want to Read:
Flabbersmashed About You

Flabbersmashed About You

2.99 of 5 stars 2.99  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Readers first met Katie Honors in Rachel and Yumi's Sometimes I'm Bombaloo and Jibberwillies at Night. Now Katie is back as she deals with feeling "flabbersmashed" by her best friend, who suddenly wants to be friends with another kid. We've all been flabbersmashed by a friend--left out of an activity or secret, left to feel sorry for ourselves, or move on. Will Katie ever ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Flabbersmashed About You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flabbersmashed About You

Heather Bowden
This was a cute book. There were some made up words and I had to take a second look at it to pronounce it right. We could use this to go over strategies for decoding words. This could also be a mini-lesson to help with their writing. I could have them write about their imaginations and what their friends play and they will have to put into words what they use and what it is in their imagination.
Sarah BT
I'm not sure what I think of this one. I like the subject-friendships can be hard and it can be very confusing when your best friend decides to play with someone else. But the story felt like it could have added a bit more to it-it just felt like it was missing something. And the illustrations were too busy and messy for me. It was just Ok.
Stephanie
I'm not sure about this one--the assumed lesson of making new friends seems to get confused or lost in a different message by the end...
Edward Sullivan
Friends have spat and make up.
Barbara
Sometimes friendships form because of connections between two individuals, and sometimes they end because the two friends have changed or are moving in different directions. For whatever reasons it happens, it hurts when your BFF no longer seems interested in spending time with you. When Katie Honors (heroine of Sometimes I'm a Bombaloo and Jibberwillies at Night) finds her best friend Jennifer playing with another classmate, leaving her to walk in alone from recess, she is lost, hurt, and angry ...more
Jennie Machines
A story about a girl whose best friend, Jennifer, likes to kill bad guys with her new friend Roy more than making soup with the narrator. The narrator gets so mad when Jennifer chooses to hold hands with her new recess partner, Roy, that she yells at Jennifer: "I am so FLABBERSMASHED about you!"
Miss narrator upset and hurt, is approached by Arabella, who may enjoy making soup. So the story ends on a happy note, with Arabella and Miss Narrator becoming potential best friends.

When i first picked
Bethe
Seems every friendship comes to a flabbersmash moment - for Katie it happens on the playground when Jennifer decides to play with Roy instead. Katie's emotions are realistic - I love the depiction of the "million mean things" to say page. The different sized and colored fonts move the story along, as do the vibrant illustrations. Good friendship story.
Bailey Carlson
Flabbersmashed About You is a really cute childrens' picture book about a girl named Katie who is best friends with Jennifer, until Jennifer finds someone else to play with at recess. Katie is "flabbersmashed" at Jennifer and feels so alone, until one of the quiet girls in class befriends Katie. At this point, Katie is more than happy with her new friend. This book used such bright colors and the illustrations appeared as if they were drawn on a piece of paper, cut out, and pasted back onto the ...more
Ms Threlkeld
Good book for helping younger kids deal with getting snubbed by friends, but not something I'd buy for my library or use as a read aloud.
Dana Pressnell
When your best friend chooses to play with someone else on the playground, it is painful. Cute illustrations. Great discussion book for k-2
Sharon Lawler
A rite of passage--the pain of one friend exiting relieved by the joy of another entering.
Kim
What do you do when your forever best friend plays with someone else during recess, and even holds hands with the interloper when it's time to go inside? Well, you feel sad and abandoned and angry-- in a word, flabbersmashed! The story's premise is a great conversation starter; unfortunately, the illustrations are just a little too precious to appeal to any other than the youngest children. Useful for pre-k and kindergarten.
Jayna
Ages 4 and up

When Katie's best friend Jennifer decides to play with someone else during recess, Katie gets jealous and wants to say mean things to Jennifer. Katie soon finds that having other friends can also be good.

This would be good to read to kids to help them understand that they can have many friends and that their friends can have other friends too.
Kelsey
"Katie is back as she deals with feeling "flabbersmashed" by her best friend, who suddenly wants to be friends with another kid. We've all been flabbersmashed by a friend--left out of an activity or secret, left to feel sorry for ourselves, or move on. Will Katie ever stop feeling left out?" (Goodreads feature review)
Kkakaliouras
I know kids can relate to that flabbersmashed feeling. I just wish there was more to the story. It ends with the girl finding a new friend which is sweet but it is never quite that simple or neatly resolved for kids. Friendship can be hard. This book addressed some of that but it could have done more.
Erin
This book is just okay. It's about a little girl who has to declare herself friendly at the beginning. The font is horrible, btw. This girl has to deal with her best friend playing with a boy instead of her at recess. She becomes "flabbersmashed" at her best friend. Blah.
Jessica Lauber
Colorful, variety of font types. Descriptive language. Best friend makes a new friend, plays different things, leaving Katie alone to play, and sad. A new friend comes along. Good message about helping others and not giving up. Illustrations are colorful, stick-figures
Linda Atkinson
Better choices in Highly Commended, in my opinion. Charlotte Zolotow Award Honor Book 2013 Flabbersmashed About You written by Rachel Vail, illustrated by Yumi Heo (Feiwel and Friends)
Deanna
This is a good book for young children, kindergarten and first graders. The story is realistic, about what happens with friendships in those early years. True to life experiences.
Burbank Library Children's Department
A lovely, simple picture book for kids struggling with making new friends while coming to terms with their "old" friends meeting someone new.
Rachel
Interesting take on learning about friendship, but the story and illustrations are flat, and the made up word does not add anything to the emotion.
Beverly
For every child whose best friend suddenly finds someone new to play with. Touching story.
Lupine
Best friends and making room for new ones and what to do when your friend makes a new friend.
Aimee Owen
If you've ever felt left out on the playground, this tale will resonate with you.
Lisa
a little girl finds out that it is ok to make new friends
PWRL
Sep 25, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Birth
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Interests
Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo
More about Rachel Vail...
If We Kiss (If We Kiss, #1) Lucky (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #1) Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2) You, Maybe: The Profound Asymmetry of Love in High School Kiss Me Again (If We Kiss, #2)