Start by marking “A Damn Close-Run Thing: A Brief History of the Falklands War” as Want to Read:
A Damn Close-Run Thing: A Brief History of the Falklands War

A Damn Close-Run Thing: A Brief History of the Falklands War

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  25 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In 1982, the average Briton didn't know the Falkland Islands existed, let alone their status as a disputed British territory just off the coast of Argentina. That changed when the Argentinians invaded the islands and overwhelmed the small defending force. Both nations claimed the islands were theirs, but now Argentina thought the British would give them up without a fight. ...more
ebook
Published September 13th 2011 (first published September 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Damn Close-Run Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Damn Close-Run Thing

Jim
Sep 07, 2015 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: history, argentina
A bit sketchy and disjointed, but generally an adequate history of the 1982 Falklands war. Author Russell Phillips doesn't go into much background about the pre-war history of the archipelago and what the real issues of the war were both from the Argentine Junta's side and from Margaret Thatcher's side.

A Damn Close-Run Thing: A Brief History of the Falklands War is a quick read which gets increasingly scattered once the ground fighting begins. There is no real strategic vision, and the fighting
Glenn Dean
Apr 07, 2012 Glenn Dean rated it really liked it
In honor of the 30th anniversary of the Falklands Conflict, I'm reviewing A Damn Close Run Thing: A Brief History of the Falklands Conflict, by UK author and military historian Russell Phillips. Available for Amazon Kindle via Amazon.com and in other eBook formats via Smashwords.com, the book is approximately 55 pages or 11000 words, and as a result makes a relatively quick read.

A Damn Close Run Thing provides an excellent overview of the Falklands War from the strategic and political setting pr
Perry Martin
May 14, 2014 Perry Martin rated it really liked it
A brief history of the Falklands conflict By Russell Phillips and read by Phillip J Mather.
This book is less than two hours in audio form and having a map and a notebook is suggested by this reviewer before listening to gain the most enjoyment from this very detailed book.

I was in High School myself during this conflict and remember well the United States Media take on this conflict. The Falklands Conflict and the United States own Grenada Incident were the last two major conflicts before the In
Steve Anderson
Nov 08, 2011 Steve Anderson rated it really liked it
I didn't know much about the Falklands War, and this provided a good overview of the conflict. I learned much. I didn't realize so many lost their lives, and that Argentine agents attempted to hit a British ship in Gibraltar. Russell Phillips writes straightforward narratives that convey a lot of information concisely. You can trust their accuracy. As a historical fiction author looking for topics to research, I rely on articles such as these to point me in the right direction. I look forward to ...more
Zoe Robinson
Nov 27, 2011 Zoe Robinson rated it it was amazing
The Falklands War has been a topic of interest for me for many years and never have I read a more clear and succinct description of the events involved than in this book. Well done, Mr Phillips!
KS
KS marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
James Buck
James Buck rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
André Lima
André Lima marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Sm4cksm4sh
Sm4cksm4sh marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Michael Mcquillan
Michael Mcquillan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Carl Nardell
Carl Nardell rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Kingsley
Kingsley rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Ellie
Ellie rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2015
Jason Driver
Jason Driver rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Michael Shaoul
Michael Shaoul rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Jm
Jm marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2014
Piero Maggiani
Piero Maggiani marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Maria Graciela
Maria Graciela rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014
Pantalaimon
Pantalaimon marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Russell Phillips
Jul 16, 2014 Russell Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Phillip Mather
Phillip Mather rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Russell Phillips
Jun 03, 2014 Russell Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Marc de Best
Marc de Best rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Born and brought up in a mining village in South Yorkshire, I have lived and worked in South Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Cumbria and Staffordshire. I currently live in Stoke on Trent with my wife and son.

I write books and articles about military technology and history. My articles have been published in Miniature Wargames, Wargames Illustrated and the Society of Twentieth Century Wargamers' Journal.
More about Russell Phillips...