Start by marking “The Ivory Swing” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A professor's wife, Juliet, already feeling too far from the excitements of city life in her small Canadian college-town, obligingly journeys with husband David (and their two children) even further: to Kerala in southern India, for David's research sabbatical year.
Published May 23rd 1983 by Dutton Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Ivory Swing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ivory Swing

Jill
A deft explanation of how the lack of cultural awareness can cause unimaginable chaos. Although the central character, Juliet, means well, her outlook is the product of her western upbringing and her inability to see past her own world view. The outcome, of course, is inevitable and tragic. I wondered at the end if she had really absorbed that lesson or would continue to rail against the reality of other cultures.

Janet Turner Hospital is a wonderful writer and her descriptions of the oppressive
Stacy
Mar 30, 2011 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stacy by: A friend of my sister-in-law, it just took me a long time to act on it.
This author is really good at invoking the feel, smell and texture of India. She is also very good at showing us how nothing is black and white in this world and particularly in a country like India where the past, present and future mingle in beauty and confusion and horror. In its political context, it reminded me of Rohinton Mistry's 'A fine balance'; the people of India seem so much more in tune with their leaders and so much more at risk by committing to a cause. The Canadians in this story ...more
Christine
Feb 05, 2012 Christine marked it as to-read
By Hospital, Janette Turner

The first novel by Australian-Canadian writer Hospital has aged well. Hospital's tale follows a Canadian family's stay in south India.

Publisher Comments

The Ivory Swing has been reprinted as a stylish new volume in University of Queensland Press's Classic series. This novel is a winner of a prestigious literary award in Canada for a first novel. The story is alive with wit and tragedy, ripe with sensuousness as it deals with the migration of a woman from
Donna Jarrell
This was kind of a fun read for me. On impulse I decided I wanted to read a novel--between class reading. I picked this one up from my book shelf. Bought when I met the author at a conference 13 years ago but had never read it. It's a decent story, set in India and does a good job capturing the complexities of that culture and the ambivalence surrounding the commitment required by marriage.
Pearl
Read this book about 30 years ago on a recommendation of a complete stranger. Reading The Newlyweds reminded me of books I've read that deals with adapting to a foreign culture and "The Ivory Swing" popped into my mind. It seems since then Ms. Hosptial, a canadian, has written many books. However, I cann't remember ever seeing any of them reviewed. Has anyone read some of her later works?
Tricia
After Rushdi, I found this book much more enjoyable. There was a great deal of evidence of social custom and political/historical issues were explained, although not in great detail at least so that you understood what was going on.
Genevieve
I can't believe this book hasn't been made into a movie yet (or has it?)
No longer available in print, but the audio book is wonderfully narrated which well have made it even more enjoyable for me.
Fifi
Much darker than I had expected this is really beautifully written, and terribly sad - the suffering is great, and the imagery is beautiful. You can taste the indian atmosphere.
Ruth
I read this about 20 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very realistic and evocative descriptions of Indian village life from an ex-Pat's perspective. Great read
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Emmanuelle Maupassant
Emmanuelle Maupassant marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Billie Thurston
Billie Thurston marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Dayle Kalve
Dayle Kalve marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Izabela
Izabela marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Nimmi Ragavan
Nimmi Ragavan marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Stefania
Stefania marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Dagny
Dagny marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in 1942, Janette Turner Hospital grew up on the steamy sub-tropical coast of Australia in the north-eastern state of Queensland. She began her teaching career in remote Queensland high schools, but since her graduate studies she has taught in universities in Australia, Canada, England, France and the United States.

Her first published short story appeared in the Atlantic Monthly (USA) where i
More about Janette Turner Hospital...
Orpheus Lost Oyster Due Preparations for the Plague The Last Magician The Claimant