Start by marking “Pearl Harbor Christmas: A World at War, December 1941” as Want to Read:
Pearl Harbor Christmas: A World at War, December 1941

Pearl Harbor Christmas: A World at War, December 1941

3.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  205 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Preeminent historian Stanley Weintraub's compelling history of perhaps the most remarkable holiday season in twentieth-century history-December 1941
Published November 1st 2011 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about Pearl Harbor Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pearl Harbor Christmas

Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
471st out of 731 books — 3,143 voters
1984 by George Orwell1776 by David McCullough1491 by Charles C. Mann2001 by Arthur C. Clarke1215 by Danny Danziger
Books With a Year For a Title
81st out of 110 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
As a seasonal reader who loves history, Stanley Weintraub’s Pearl Harbor Christmas proved an irresistible purchase. I must admit – I was also drawn in by its truly horrible title, conjuring discordant images of glittering pine trees and burnt-out, half-sunk warships. Come, children! It’s time to open presents, sing songs, and think about corpses floating on an oil-slicked tide.

Weintraub has made something of a literary career with the atypical meshing of war and yuletide. Aside from this book,
Andrew
Apr 08, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
As a WWII history fan I wanted to love this book. Dr. Weintraub does a very good job taking the reader back into time to the mega-events that Christmas, such as Churchill's visit and the terrible news filtering back to the Home Front from the battlefields. The author's focus on the three week period following Pearl Harbor and the gathering of British, US and other allies to strategically determine future battle plans makes this particular book quite interesting. One can easily imagine Winston Ch ...more
Tarissa
Jan 03, 2015 Tarissa rated it really liked it
"This is a strange Christmas Eve," Churchill began. "Almost the whole world is locked in deadly struggle."

...And so describes this non-fiction work, Pearl Harbor Christmas.

Although I expected to learn more specifically about the horrible event at Pearl Harbor (Dec. 7, 1941), the author doesn't spend much time telling of it. Instead, Weintraub tells about the holidays of 1941 and the stress that our U.S. Commander in Chief, FDR, was under at the time, and the exchanges he had during Christmas wee
Tina
Jan 11, 2012 Tina rated it it was ok

The premise of the book was to highlight various theatres of war during the same timeframe – between Pearl Harbor, through Christmas and up to New Years. The niche idea of framing these dates while Churchill was in DC with Roosevelt appealed to me, however the actual read was disappointing. Too many dry, irrelevant facts and not the kind of personal anecdotes and insight you would expect made for disappointment.

The author obviously has personal dislikes for Churchill and McArthur. He didn’t miss
Vicki G
Jan 17, 2014 Vicki G marked it as to-read
I only had to get 30 pages into this book before finding out that no Republican alive to day has any REAL memory of WWII OR Pearl Harbor, as evidenced by the fact that so many of them are POSItive this president is Hitler's equivalent, without ever even knowing that Hitler forbade his people from celebrating Christmas in 1941, forbidding trees to be erected in homes and even stopping Christmas cards from being sent. Under threat of death, as I'm sure he made obvious in spirit even if he never sa ...more
Brian Eshleman
Dec 31, 2013 Brian Eshleman rated it liked it
Something in the title led me to expect more of the domestic focus, to get to see this shift in the American mindset from a piece time isolationist footing to a wartime and determined nation. I got to see some of that, but not enough.

This wasn't about culture and texture of domestic details primarily. The most frequent seven, it seems, was in the environs of the White House as Winston Churchill set up shop there and conferred with Franklin Roosevelt. Getting to see just how war-weary Churchel an
Rk Wild
Reads like a "This Day in World War II History" retrospective for 11 days--Dec. 22, 1941 to Jan. 1, 1942--which happens to encompass UK PM Churchill's post-Pearl Harbor visit to the USA in order to take measure of FDR's resolve in entering the battle. Those knowledgeable of WWII history will find nothing new here, and those with little knowledge will be left wanting more. Gimmicky.
Chad Fairey
Jan 03, 2012 Chad Fairey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-booklist
I've always appreciated Weintraub's microhistories -- he lends a narrative thread to very detailed pockets of history, weaving in very human and base elements that breathe life into the weeks that he covers in his historical treatments whether it be in 1783, 1864, 1914, or 1944. This book peeks into a dark chapter in history, but weaves together some charming narrative threads between Churchill and FDR, Goering, Heydrich, McArthur, etc. A consummate Churchill fan, I found the narrative moments o ...more
Steve
May 20, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
This book examines the sense of the world at war during the last ten days of December 1941. The vignettes focus on (1) the Anglo-American strategy meetings in Washington between Churchill and Rossevelt, and their military and diplomatic teams, (2) and a number of different combat situations and the people involved in the Philipines, Southeast Asia, and Europe. One does get a good sense of the world-wide impact of the war and the confusion and false starts as the allies tried to figure out what w ...more
Margaret Sankey
Dec 23, 2011 Margaret Sankey rated it liked it
Weintraub continues his chronological microhistories with the fifth set at Christmas (1783, 1864, 1914, 1944). This isn't rigorous, thesis-based history, but Weintraub has an eye for vivid detail from the sources and this roundup of late December 1941 includes the British stunned by the East Coast's Christmas lights as they flew into Washington D.C., Churchill's obnoxious requirements as a White House guest, Goring wallowing in Dutch loot at Karinhall, holdouts on Wake Island, MacArthur doing la ...more
Amy
Dec 17, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
The author really needed to do some fact-checking in his writing (cases of mentioning one person or number on one page, then using another in the next when it should have remained the same) and adding further explanations (naming people without telling who they were or using nicknames and never providing real names). This book also jumped around geographically a lot and I think much of the content is in other, better written, books. After this work and Silent Night: The Story of the World War I ...more
Brian
May 18, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, hoopla
I learned quite a bit about the week surrounding Christmas following Pearl Harbor earlier that month. Looks at aspects of the time period from all sides and multiple perspectives. Main focus is upon Churchill and his Washington visit to Roosevelt.
Paula Schumm
Dec 21, 2015 Paula Schumm rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook from the library. This one tells of a World War II Christmas with Roosevelt, Churchill, and the men and women who fought during that time. This one was okay. Recommended to lovers of WWII history.
Craig
Jul 18, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the details of this work and learned a great deal from it, but I felt, too often, that a critical sentence was missing before analysis of a key notion was proffered. Thus, while I enjoyed the content and the research, the flow left a great deal to be desired.
Michael Tarpinian
It was ok. Interesting to hear about the inner workings on the White House. Charming to hear about Churchill in American so near the beginning of American involvement in the War.
Carol Holcomb
Feb 02, 2015 Carol Holcomb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't be fooled by the title . Not sure there was even one paragraph about Christmas in Hawaii . Not at all what I expected and very little entertainment in this book.
Marv
Dec 07, 2014 Marv rated it it was ok
The book, for me, did not live up to the promising title. Lots of interesting historical facts, but the presentation was not as expected. A rather dry read.
Denise Bucklew
Jun 25, 2016 Denise Bucklew rated it liked it
I thought it would be different than it actually was. Although it was a short book, it took longer to read due to trying to understand all it entailed.
Ann
Aug 09, 2013 Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This book brings an interesting perspective to the events just after Pearl Harbor in which FDR and the US begin to plan the US participation in WWII. I found the detailed accounts and weaving together of different events which were occurring in different parts of the world quite enlightening. The contrast of the US before Pearl Harbor and after in the context of Christmas and New Year's was also insightful. The book suffers from not having a clear goal nor a clear conclusion, so it reads like a ...more
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
What happened after Pearl Harbor during the Christmas week with Churchill visiting Washington DC.
Pam
Jul 27, 2016 Pam rated it did not like it
I'm just not much of a history buff.
Chris
Mar 30, 2013 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii, world-war-ii
For what the book is, a snapshot of the US situation in December 1941, it's good. But the scope of the book necessitates a lot of jumping around, which could be distracting at times.

I liked the coverage of the situation in the Philippines and a lot of the other interesting points. In the beginning, there is a lot of coverage of Winston Churchill at the White House, which is a great story in itself. I listened to the audiobook, and the Winston Churchill "voice" was fun.
Mark
Dec 18, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was visiting Pearl Harbor on vacation while listening to this audiobook. It's not really about Pearl Harbor, but rather all the days in December 1941 from the point of view of the FDR White House. So there is quite about about the famous speech (about Infamy) to Congress, as well as Churchill's immediate diplomatic visit to the US, along with meetings of the military leaders of the US & UK.
Dave
Oct 24, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a nice litle book, telling about a December unlike any other in our nations history. The author primarily tells about the friendship of Winston Churchill and President Roosevelt during the last dark days of 1941. The author tells the story against the backdrop of the events abroad and the various meetings to plot strategy that the two leaders held that month.
Todd Wardwell
Jan 05, 2013 Todd Wardwell rated it really liked it
The book really dealt with a history of what went on in Washington D.C. right before and right after Pearl Harbor. I learned some interesting facts about Elanor R's role in the affair, and some interesting personal insights into FDR's issues at the time. It was pretty light on what was actually going on in Hono at the time, but it was a fairly short book and worth a read.
Julian Pecenco
Oct 29, 2013 Julian Pecenco rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
The title is deceptive. There is very little about Pearl Harbor, and even less about Christmas. I was hoping for something more along the lines of his Silent Night (about the Christmas Truce in WWI,) with personal stories, but this was primarily about politics. It also ended so abruptly that I was taken aback. It seemed to end in the middle of a paragraph.
Inknscroll
On BookTV, Stanley Weintraub discussed his book, "A Pearl Harbor Christmas." He takes the reader back in time to when the dark day came to America (http://www.c-span.org/video/?304240-1...). He, also, actually lived during WW2, and he always brings so much depth and history to his books.
Rpaustenbaugh
May 30, 2013 Rpaustenbaugh rated it really liked it

Interesting microhistory of the days following Pearl Harbor. The author pulls bits and pieces from a wide range of sources to give you a sense of the mindset that existed in various regions of the world following the US entry into the war. One thing that was quite clear was his disdain for MacArthur.
Nancy
Nov 30, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
A nonfiction report of worldwide events for ten days at the end of 1941 as Winston Churchill and FDR meet in Washington to discuss America's entry into WWII. I found the info interesting but transitions were abrupt and sometimes hard to follow, not especially well written.
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I learned so much about the start of W.W. II. It has now made me want to read more.
  • December 1941: The Month That Changed America And Saved The World
  • 15 Minutes: General Curtis Lemay and the Countdown to Nuclear Annihilation
  • Roosevelt's Centurions: FDR & the Commanders He Led to Victory in World War II
  • Dog Company: The Boys of Pointe du Hoc--the Rangers Who Accomplished D-Day's Toughest Mission and Led the Way across Europe
  • Berlin at War: Life and Death in Hitler's Capital, 1939-45
  • Islands of Destiny: The Solomons Campaign and the Eclipse of the Rising Sun
  • Hitler
  • Perilous Fight: America's Intrepid War with Britain on the High Seas, 1812-1815
  • Mission to Tokyo: The American Airmen Who Took the War to the Heart of Japan
  • Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World
  • When General Grant Expelled the Jews
  • 1969: The Year Everything Changed
  • The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe
  • The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe: The U.S. Army Air Forces Against Germany in World War II
  • Lost Kingdom: Hawaii's Last Queen, the Sugar Kings and America's First Imperial Adventure
  • Ernie: The Autobiography
  • Five Days That Shocked the World: Eyewitness Accounts from Europe at the End of World War II
  • Germany 1945: From War to Peace
Weintraub was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on April 17, 1929. He was the eldest child of Benjamin and Ray Segal Weintraub. He attended South Philadelphia High School, and then he attended West Chester State Teachers College (now West Chester University of Pennsylvania) where he received his B.S. in education in 1949. He continued his education at Temple University where he received his mast ...more
More about Stanley Weintraub...

“Well more than two thirds of the press releases from Douglas MacArthur's command reference only one person – himself.” 1 likes