Start by marking “Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity” as Want to Read:
Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity

Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,399 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
I have deep feelings for this guy, but he says I'm like a sister to him. What should I do?"
"Why should a man still be expected to initiate romance?"
"Isn't it okay to spend time together if we're just friends?"
"If I never marry, will God take that desire away?"
These are some of the many questions posed in letters to Elisabeth Elliot by readers of her bestselling book "Pass
Published April 1st 2002 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1996)

Hannah
Apr 11, 2017 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This is a really, really amazing book! Elizabeth Elliot is an incredible writer and most of the book is actually stories of others who have fought for that purity within their passion. Would totally recommend this book!!
Melody
Sep 08, 2007 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every young woman/man
one of Mrs. Elliot-Gren's best. She tells true stories of several couples who trusted God for the perfect mate and were not let down!
Jeanie
Mar 15, 2011 Jeanie rated it it was amazing
Since I have been married for over 25 years, why would I read a book like this? The one main reason is to learn more about faith. It takes faith to live a life that the bar is raised in such a book like this. It is not about do's and don'ts, but more about attitude of the heart, a heart after the Lord and His will for your life, and the blessing that come with it. Regrettably, many believers and non believers alike feel judged when people choose to raise the bar in their own lifes. When one live ...more
Jul 16, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite speakers (on podcasts mostly but nonetheless my favorite) and after reading this book I might even consider her to be a role-model. I read her other book Passion and Purity after hearing her speak a few times and was very touched by her utter devotion to Christ. This book was the same. Her commitment to God and her devotion to submitting her life to God entirely and her urge for other Christian women to do the same, is very present throughout the book.

The
May 08, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Quest for Love really shows how suddenly and personally God directs us to a spouse. The main theme is to be patient and wait for God’s good guidance and provision, because our Lord is the only one who knows the most compatible future spouse for us. Some of the stories can appear to be completely foreign concepts to us like arranged marriage and marriage without dating. However, you can clearly see God’s hands working in all of the relationships. Ultimately when our hearts are seeking God’s will, ...more
Haley Ellis
Sep 04, 2009 Haley Ellis rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book very much. I think maybe it's just because it might be to old for me. I didn't like one particular story though. When it talked about 'Only with total dependence on God, will you ever be happy'. I dont like that. So it's saying, people who dont believe in God, or aren't really religious and like, rely on him..they are saying those people will never be happy? Like, I read that story to my sister (she's two years older then me) she understood it. She tried to explain it to ...more
AyЯa Acuña
Feb 25, 2012 AyЯa Acuña rated it really liked it
The stories found here are all amazing. They are testimonies that love can be found even if you don't date, if you put your trust and confidence to God, and prayers. It may sound weird fro christians but I hope they'd get at least the idea that they won't have to rush and that women doesn't have to run after men because if he fears the Lord and he truly loves you, he will wait. That's a proof he respects you. For the men, I hope they'll realize they'd have to do the initiation and not the other ...more
Marjorie
Jun 26, 2011 Marjorie rated it liked it
Not quite as riveting and life-changing as the original Passion and Purity, but this still stands as a book I would recommend to someone who is wanting to bring their love life under God's control. This is also more of a sober read, because she addresses letters from individuals who have been burned in society's way of approaching love and are tentatively looking for other answers.

Make sure you read the other Passion and Purity before approaching this one.
If there's one thing Elisabeth Elliot doesn't do, it's pull any punches. She's quite clear about her opinions on dating, physical intimacy in romantic relationships, and the like and most of it is in complete opposition to the modern perspective on all of the above.

Effectively, this is a companion book to Passion and Purity where Elisabeth uses the story of her courtship with Jim Elliot to talk about romantic relationships. In this book, she shares some more general thoughts, but it's mostly a
Shantelle
Another thought-provoking, great book by Elisabeth Elliot. Quest for Love: True stories of Passion and Purity, kind of goes with her other book, Passion and Purity. I’ve read both and thought both were very good.

Quest for Love is more stories though (as you would note in the title). –Stories of cheap romances; and stories of God-written romances. Stories of people who tossed God’s rules and warnings into the wind and did things their own way; and stories of people who carefully and committedly f
Katie W
This book was refreshing to read - a sharp contrast to the cheapened form of love prevalent in our society that isn't really love at all. True love involves having fun and pleasure and passion to be sure, but it's also about purity, sacrifice, hard-work, patience, respect, and the rest of the qualities mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13. That kind of love is so much more precious and persevering. God's plan for each of us, whether that means the gift of singleness or the gift of marriage, is best. If ...more
Justina
Some of the thoughts were very traditional and pretty hard to relate to after being immersed in the present culture, but I admire Elizabeth for her staunch adherence to beliefs that others might consider outdated. So, while some of the teachings seem a little too conservative for me, overall the Biblical truths that they are founded on are solid and I like the numerous Scripture references that she includes. The best part for me, though, was reading the letters from people/hearing their stories, ...more
Nadia
Jan 23, 2016 Nadia rated it really liked it
This book definitely gave me a lot of wisdom and hope concerning a godly, Christ centered relationship. I was encouraged by so many of the beautiful love stories of men and women who waited on Gods timing and didn't do anything out of their own strength. It inspired me to keep waiting on the Lord and continue seeking Him and He will provide everything at the perfect timing! Beautiful encouraging book! Recommend it to anyone who needs encouragement waiting on the Lord for their happily ever after ...more
Jethro
Nov 17, 2012 Jethro rated it it was amazing
Read this book about 10 years ago. Never heard of it, but my fiancé handed it to me, and said, "Read this." It revolutionized my understanding of relationships. For the first time, I clearly understood my role as a man and a husband-to-be according to God's terms (according to the principles set forth in the Bible). I LOVE this book!!!! I would recommend it to any man wanting to help their relationship with their woman. AWESOME!!!!!!
Christina Knotts
Nov 25, 2008 Christina Knotts rated it it was amazing
This is an absolute MUST for every unmarried young man or woman seeking love! ;-)

When I was 14, I was feeling "worried sick" about who my mate should be so I picked up this book for encouragement. Encourage me it certainly did. I came away feeling free from worry, just like that. And all because I decided to surrender my "love life" to the LORD alone to orchestrate and surprise me with.

Still a lady in waiting, and content. :-D
Feb 01, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot. I don't think there were any ideas that I hadn't heard before but it's always helpful to hear something phrased a different way. My favorite part was reading the letters that she had received in the mail. Elliot did a nice job of teaching through the letters without hardly saying anything.
Christin Panjaitan
Jul 04, 2015 Christin Panjaitan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Based on my perspective, this book tells about how to be woman with God's love.
The author wrote her experiences since she was in school, ministry and her marriage.
She put a lot of Bible's words on her book as demonstrated her faith in God.
I recommend to every christian woman for reading this book.
This is a good book and may lead you to be the good christian woman.
Clara Roberts
Jun 03, 2012 Clara Roberts rated it really liked it
This book records stories that listerners to Elisabeth Elliot's radio show wrote to her. Elliot attempts to show one how to live the godly life. The godly life extends to romantic love. She says " in every generation there are those who not only hunger for the truth, but also search desparately for a high, even an 'impossibly' high standard."
Jenna
Apr 08, 2016 Jenna rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I love the different stories of how God put two people together for His will. It's not just about "love stories", but the Greatest Love story ever told- God's love for all of us. It's hidden in each and every one of us, waiting to be found by us. Such as an encouraging book- to remain faithful and steadfast to the One who holds it all. :D
Christine
Feb 25, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
Just like her first book, "Passion and Purity" Elliot reminds us of timely words of wisdom when it comes to this area of life. I liked how this book presented various stories of how God worked to intersect people's lives together... and yet, there were recurring themes (such as trusting in God and not on your own judgement) which permeated the book. It was an encouraging read :)
Sarah Ferguson
Jul 07, 2009 Sarah Ferguson rated it it was amazing
I pretty much agree with almost everything she talks about in this book, in regards to relationships & such. I liked it better than Passion & Purity because it gave more practical insight into what to actually do & what to avoid in that part of every single person's life :-)
Kaysie
Oct 23, 2007 Kaysie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young women and men
This is a neat book with all kinds of stories of those who have taken the wrong road in the "dating culture" and have gotten hurt and the stories of those who have done it the "right" way and have been blessed! It is very encouraging and inspiring!
Samantha
Mar 17, 2008 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Elisabeth offers empathetic wisdom throughout. Bring your "love life" under the authority of Jesus Christ. Full of true life stories of Passion and Purity. I highly recommend this Biblically based book to anyone over the age of 15.
Julie - Book Hooked Blog
I love Elisabeth Eliot, but this book goes a little too much into her specific "rules" for relationships, which I don't always agree with. The points she makes are excellent, it just borders a little on legalism at places.
Lisa
Apr 03, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
I found a great deal of insight and yet was a bit concerned with the influence Elizabeth has over younger women who may think such unchaperoned courtships maybe viable. Elizabeth warns about this but the book could have made it clearer by the choice of examples.
Bethany F.
Jul 09, 2010 Bethany F. rated it it was amazing
Filled with diverse stories and down-to-earth wisdom.

Elisabeth Elliot shows that there is no formula. God is our focus and the center of any true relationship. We should be running after and trusting in Him!
Ebookwormy1
Mar 30, 2008 Ebookwormy1 rated it really liked it
This book was a breath of fresh air to the Passion & Purity ideas after the sterility of the original book. While Elliot's story seemed very rigid, these stories were more vibrant, real, relatable. I would recommend this book over the original.
Kristine
May 24, 2011 Kristine rated it liked it
I appreciated the point of view that abstinence before marriage is important. It tells of many people's experiences as they wish to be married to someone who shares their commitment to religious principles and practices.
Emanuela
Oct 25, 2011 Emanuela rated it it was amazing
A very remarkable book containing practical principles on marriage, dating, a blibical view of the present trends and the western culture in the matter. The solution to your quest: total surrender to God and His almighty and all-knowing plan for you and your life on earth. Totally worth reading!
Jaclynn
Jan 22, 2008 Jaclynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007
One of the best books I’ve ever read on the subject of love between a man and a woman and how to let God be in control of our “love life”. It doesn’t offer pat solutions but causes one to really think and approach relationships God’s way. Another excellent book from Elisabeth Elliot.
  • Set-Apart Femininity: God's Sacred Intent for Every Young Woman
  • Lies Young Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free, Companion Guide
  • Lady in Waiting: Becoming God's Best While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • Her Hand in Marriage
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
From the Author's Web Site: My parents were missionaries in Belgium where I was born. When I was a few months old, we came to the U.S. and lived in Germantown, not far from Philadelphia, where my father became an editor of the Sunday School Times. Some of my contemporaries may remember the publication which was used by hundreds of churches for their weekly unified Sunday School teaching materials. ...more
More about Elisabeth Elliot...

“Does it make sense to pray for guidance about the future if we are not obeying in the thing that lies before us today? How many momentous events in Scripture depended on one person's seemingly small act of obedience! Rest assured: Do what God tells you to do now, and, depend upon it, you will be shown what to do next.” 200 likes
“Often a Christian man or woman falls prey to that cruel and vexatious spirit, wondering how to find marriage, who, when, where? It is on God that we should wait, as a waiter waits--not for but on the customer--alert, watchful, attentive, with no agenda of his own, ready to do whatever is wanted. 'My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.' (Ps. 62:5 KJV) In Him alone lie our security, our confidence, our trust. A spirit of restlessness and resistance can never wait, but one who believes he is loved with an everlasting love, and knows that underneath are the everlasting arms, will find strength and peace.” 161 likes