Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity

Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  787 ratings  ·  54 reviews
I have deep feelings for this guy, but he says I'm like a sister to him. What should I do?"
"Why should a man still be expected to initiate romance?"
"Isn't it okay to spend time together if we're just friends?"
"If I never marry, will God take that desire away?"
These are some of the many questions posed in letters to Elisabeth Elliot by readers of her bestselling book "Pass...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1996)

Melody
Nov 14, 2008 Melody rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: every young woman/man
one of Mrs. Elliot-Gren's best. She tells true stories of several couples who trusted God for the perfect mate and were not let down!
Jeanie
Since I have been married for over 25 years, why would I read a book like this? The one main reason is to learn more about faith. It takes faith to live a life that the bar is raised in such a book like this. It is not about do's and don'ts, but more about attitude of the heart, a heart after the Lord and His will for your life, and the blessing that come with it. Regrettably, many believers and non believers alike feel judged when people choose to raise the bar in their own lifes. When one live...more
Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite speakers (on podcasts mostly but nonetheless my favorite) and after reading this book I might even consider her to be a role-model. I read her other book Passion and Purity after hearing her speak a few times and was very touched by her utter devotion to Christ. This book was the same. Her commitment to God and her devotion to submitting her life to God entirely and her urge for other Christian women to do the same, is very present throughout the book.

The...more
Quest for Love really shows how suddenly and personally God directs us to a spouse. The main theme is to be patient and wait for God’s good guidance and provision, because our Lord is the only one who knows the most compatible future spouse for us. Some of the stories can appear to be completely foreign concepts to us like arranged marriage and marriage without dating. However, you can clearly see God’s hands working in all of the relationships. Ultimately when our hearts are seeking God’s will,...more
AyЯa Acuña
The stories found here are all amazing. They are testimonies that love can be found even if you don't date, if you put your trust and confidence to God, and prayers. It may sound weird fro christians but I hope they'd get at least the idea that they won't have to rush and that women doesn't have to run after men because if he fears the Lord and he truly loves you, he will wait. That's a proof he respects you. For the men, I hope they'll realize they'd have to do the initiation and not the other...more
Marjorie
Not quite as riveting and life-changing as the original Passion and Purity, but this still stands as a book I would recommend to someone who is wanting to bring their love life under God's control. This is also more of a sober read, because she addresses letters from individuals who have been burned in society's way of approaching love and are tentatively looking for other answers.

Make sure you read the other Passion and Purity before approaching this one.
Mary
Another thought-provoking, great book by Elisabeth Elliot. Quest for Love: True stories of Passion and Purity, kind of goes with her other book, Passion and Purity. I’ve read both and thought both were very good.
Quest for Love is more stories though (as you would note in the title). –Stories of cheap romances; and stories of God-written romances. Stories of people who tossed God’s rules and warnings into the wind and did things their own way; and stories of people who carefully and committedly...more
Katie W
This book was refreshing to read - a sharp contrast to the cheapened form of love prevalent in our society that isn't really love at all. True love involves having fun and pleasure and passion to be sure, but it's also about purity, sacrifice, hard-work, patience, respect, and the rest of the qualities mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13. That kind of love is so much more precious and persevering. God's plan for each of us, whether that means the gift of singleness or the gift of marriage, is best. If...more
Haley Ellis
I didn't like this book very much. I think maybe it's just because it might be to old for me. I didn't like one particular story though. When it talked about 'Only with total dependence on God, will you ever be happy'. I dont like that. So it's saying, people who dont believe in God, or aren't really religious and like, rely on him..they are saying those people will never be happy? Like, I read that story to my sister (she's two years older then me) she understood it. She tried to explain it to...more
Phubc
Christina Knotts
This is an absolute MUST for every unmarried young man or woman seeking love! ;-)

When I was 14, I was feeling "worried sick" about who my mate should be so I picked up this book for encouragement. Encourage me it certainly did. I came away feeling free from worry, just like that. And all because I decided to surrender my "love life" to the LORD alone to orchestrate and surprise me with.

Still a lady in waiting, and content. :-D
Jethro
Read this book about 10 years ago. Never heard of it, but my fiancé handed it to me, and said, "Read this." It revolutionized my understanding of relationships. For the first time, I clearly understood my role as a man and a husband-to-be according to God's terms (according to the principles set forth in the Bible). I LOVE this book!!!! I would recommend it to any man wanting to help their relationship with their woman. AWESOME!!!!!!
Christine
Just like her first book, "Passion and Purity" Elliot reminds us of timely words of wisdom when it comes to this area of life. I liked how this book presented various stories of how God worked to intersect people's lives together... and yet, there were recurring themes (such as trusting in God and not on your own judgement) which permeated the book. It was an encouraging read :)
Clara Roberts
This book records stories that listerners to Elisabeth Elliot's radio show wrote to her. Elliot attempts to show one how to live the godly life. The godly life extends to romantic love. She says " in every generation there are those who not only hunger for the truth, but also search desparately for a high, even an 'impossibly' high standard."
I liked this a lot. I don't think there were any ideas that I hadn't heard before but it's always helpful to hear something phrased a different way. My favorite part was reading the letters that she had received in the mail. Elliot did a nice job of teaching through the letters without hardly saying anything.
Emanuela
A very remarkable book containing practical principles on marriage, dating, a blibical view of the present trends and the western culture in the matter. The solution to your quest: total surrender to God and His almighty and all-knowing plan for you and your life on earth. Totally worth reading!
Jaclynn
One of the best books I’ve ever read on the subject of love between a man and a woman and how to let God be in control of our “love life”. It doesn’t offer pat solutions but causes one to really think and approach relationships God’s way. Another excellent book from Elisabeth Elliot.
Sarah Ferguson
I pretty much agree with almost everything she talks about in this book, in regards to relationships & such. I liked it better than Passion & Purity because it gave more practical insight into what to actually do & what to avoid in that part of every single person's life :-)
Judine
Jul 15, 2008 Judine rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Reflective Christians
This is better than its companion book, "Passion and Purity" because it gives a variety of stories that support chastity before marriage, and a Christ-centered life. Great reflection questions at the end of each chapter. Better if all the chapters included at least one story.
Lisa
I found a great deal of insight and yet was a bit concerned with the influence Elizabeth has over younger women who may think such unchaperoned courtships maybe viable. Elizabeth warns about this but the book could have made it clearer by the choice of examples.
Ebookwormy
This book was a breath of fresh air to the Passion & Purity ideas after the sterility of the original book. While Elliot's story seemed very rigid, these stories were more vibrant, real, relatable. I would recommend this book over the original.
Kaysie
Oct 23, 2007 Kaysie rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: young women and men
This is a neat book with all kinds of stories of those who have taken the wrong road in the "dating culture" and have gotten hurt and the stories of those who have done it the "right" way and have been blessed! It is very encouraging and inspiring!
Samantha
Elisabeth offers empathetic wisdom throughout. Bring your "love life" under the authority of Jesus Christ. Full of true life stories of Passion and Purity. I highly recommend this Biblically based book to anyone over the age of 15.
Julie (julie37619)
I love Elisabeth Eliot, but this book goes a little too much into her specific "rules" for relationships, which I don't always agree with. The points she makes are excellent, it just borders a little on legalism at places.
Kristine
I appreciated the point of view that abstinence before marriage is important. It tells of many people's experiences as they wish to be married to someone who shares their commitment to religious principles and practices.
Miss Pickwickian
Filled with diverse stories and down-to-earth wisdom.

Elisabeth Elliot shows that there is no formula. God is our focus and the center of any true relationship. We should be running after and trusting in Him!
Mayumi
Its really good! It helps me a lot about waiting and having patience in love. And It show too how amazing God work to those who are lost and weak in heart, and how God renew their spirit of hope in love.
Altovise
This book was the continuation of Passion and Purity. It was inspiring. It was nice to read about the wonderful love stories of people who trusted the Lord even during times of lonliness.
Grace
Another wonderful one...kind of puts what she talked about in her first book into practice, and shows you what it looks like to apply the Biblical ideas she proposed.
Bethany1991 Jones
This is a book for all you women/men who want proof that a true beautiful love exists. True life story's show you that you can have a lasting marriage and romance.
  • Set-Apart Femininity: God's Sacred Intent for Every Young Woman
  • Praying for Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart for His
  • Emotional Purity: An Affair of the Heart
  • Not Even a Hint: Guarding Your Heart Against Lust
  • What He Must Be: If He Wants to Marry My Daughter
  • Every Young Woman's Battle: Guarding Your Mind, Heart, and Body in a Sex-Saturated World (The Every Man Series)
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • When Dreams Come True: A Love Story Only God Could Write
  • Beautiful in God's Eyes: The Treasures of the Proverbs 31 Woman (George, Elizabeth (Insp))
  • Lady in Waiting: Becoming God's Best While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • If
  • Feminine Appeal
  • For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know About How Guys Think
From the Author's Web Site: My parents were missionaries in Belgium where I was born. When I was a few months old, we came to the U.S. and lived in Germantown, not far from Philadelphia, where my father became an editor of the Sunday School Times. Some of my contemporaries may remember the publication which was used by hundreds of churches for their weekly unified Sunday School teaching materials....more
More about Elisabeth Elliot...
Through Gates of Splendor Passion and Purity: Learning to Bring Your Love Life Under Christ's Control Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot (Lives of Faith) Let Me Be a Woman A Chance to Die

“Does it make sense to pray for guidance about the future if we are not obeying in the thing that lies before us today? How many momentous events in Scripture depended on one person's seemingly small act of obedience! Rest assured: Do what God tells you to do now, and, depend upon it, you will be shown what to do next.” 123 likes
“Often a Christian man or woman falls prey to that cruel and vexatious spirit, wondering how to find marriage, who, when, where? It is on God that we should wait, as a waiter waits--not for but on the customer--alert, watchful, attentive, with no agenda of his own, ready to do whatever is wanted. 'My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.' (Ps. 62:5 KJV) In Him alone lie our security, our confidence, our trust. A spirit of restlessness and resistance can never wait, but one who believes he is loved with an everlasting love, and knows that underneath are the everlasting arms, will find strength and peace.” 114 likes