Start by marking “Arcadia” as Want to Read:
Arcadia

Arcadia

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  310 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
'A celebration of the modern city ... in such vivid prose that you can almost see the bloom on the peaches, taste the sun-ripened oranges and smell the coffee at the market traders' stalls' Sunday Times
Published by Atheneum Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Arcadia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arcadia

Paul
Jan 21, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-novels
An interesting novel with a great deal going on beneath the surface. Victor is an aging millionaire, a self made man living in the penthouse of the skyscraper he owns in an unnamed city. His origins lie in the countryside; after his father's early death his mother brings him as a baby to the city where she begs for food in the market area of the city using Victor as a draw. His mother dies, but Victor survives, eventually making his fortune through the market, which he now owns.
Victor's right ha
Kristel
This work of fiction by the contemporary English Author, Jim Crace is definitely different. It is set in an unnamed place and is told by an unnamed journalist who tells the story of an aging millionaire’s quest to build a commercial center that will embrace the pastoral idyll. The beginning introduces us to Victor the millionaire and his able assistant Rook. The middle section is the story of Victor’s youth and the last part is the actual story of Victor’s vision and the building of the commerci ...more
Lauren Albert
Jan 31, 2010 Lauren Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
At just under 350 pages, Crace's Arcadia still manages to feel epic in scale. I think that while many see Arcadia as an allegory of country versus city, it is more about vibrant life versus deathly artifice. “We flock in to the city," writes Crace,"because we wish to dwell in hope. And hope—not gold—is what they pave the cities with.” In creating Arcadia, Victor has (temporarily) given a death blow to that hope for those in the market. With mordant irony, Crace shows how the lowly sparrows, temp ...more
Sabine
Mar 16, 2015 Sabine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein ungewöhnliches Buch ist es auf jeden Fall. Crace war mir komplett unbekannt und ich bin nicht einmal mehr ganz sicher, wie dieses Buch überhaupt bei mir gelandet ist. Gefunden? Geschenkt bekommen? Es wäre auch fast schon einmal in einer Flohmarktkiste gelandet, hätte ich nicht zufällig entdeckt, dass es auf der Liste der 1001 besten Bücher steht und das hat mich dann doch neugierig gemacht, was Cover und Beschreibung auf dem Buchrücken sonst nicht geschafft hätten.

Die komplette Rezension fin
Erikka
Jun 18, 2008 Erikka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: depression era readers, Crace fans, fiction lovers
Recommended to Erikka by: Jason Nelson
Shelves: reads-of-08
Again,I wonder if I missed allegories in this seemingly straightforward novel. This was Crace's second novel, and is very different than the later two I read (Quarantine, Being Dead). There definitely was some deeper ideas on age and society, city vs country, but the plot was hard for me to engage with in order to search and construct these hidden lessons.
Lily
Apr 06, 2011 Lily rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Don't own a copy of this, but it is one of those rare books whose memory continues to haunt me and that I should like to hunt down and reread at least partially one day.
Robert
Jun 15, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I like about Jim Crace is that no two books that he writes are alike so it’s always interesting to see what he’ll come up with. To date I’ve read three of his novels ; Being Dead (which I enjoyed) Quarantine ( I rate this one highly) and The Devil’s Larder ( mixed reactions) and now Arcadia.

At this point I’m finding it difficult to actually explain clearly what Arcadia is actually about. On the surface it’s about an 80-year-old millionaire, Victor , who wants to demolish a Market Place
Becky
Aug 23, 2013 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny little book, not at all what I expected from well, judging the book by it's cover, and a slight misunderstanding of exactly which modern day Crace wrote it. Victor is an old man, about to celebrate his birthday, looking back on a life which started in poverty and ended in extreme wealth. His personal story parallels that of the market he grew up in, and it's coming transformation into Arcadia. In the meantime, his conniving butler Rook gets into trouble for underhand dealings, and tries ...more
Janice Windle
Feb 15, 2013 Janice Windle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book riveting to read. Its poetic flow - to the point where I found myself noting rhymes and loving the rhythm of each paragraph - carried me along, through the many scenes evoked in the course of developing the story of a traditional vegetable market and its denizens. Victor, the man who grew up there from rags to riches and owes to it his millions, decides on his eightieth birthday to change it beyond recognition, putting paid to the chances of anyone else rising through associati ...more
Nina
Feb 09, 2016 Nina rated it liked it
This book ties into some of my issues with neighborhoods changing over time and urban renewal so as the book went on and that thesis was more developed I found it more meaningful. To start with, I found the book a little dry but then it grew on me. The prose is good, but I am not sure I agree with the reviews that trumpeted its lushness of language, etc. - it was good, but I have read more beautifully crafted wordsmithing.
Peta Watson
Oct 09, 2013 Peta Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I would like this book, although Jim Crace has never let me down so far. I am pleased to say, he still hasn't.

It was a great read - almost quaint. I am not sure where it was set( I envisaged London, while I was reading it, but it could have been anywhere)or the year, however that unknowing really does not impact in any way on the events that occur.

The story revolves around the life of an old and wealthy self-made man with not much time left, who wants to leave his mark on the city
Ryan
May 17, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an epic, but because it's Crace it still manages to be rather short. The whole work balance between the quotidian and the alien. Things and events are familiar, but you're not sure exactly where you are or when this is taking place. It is this approach which takes Crace's story of a fruit market and elevates it beyond a simple parable of the machinations of capitalism. The story pulsates with something more timeless, the pettiness and selfishness and need for gratification which drives p ...more
Bill
Jul 12, 2008 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Jim Crace book I have read (Quarantine and Pesthouse are the other two). He is such a diverse writer, none of the three novels I have read are alike.

Arcadia is an intricate view of what makes people who they are and how their background drives what they become and perhaps ultimately how they behave and why they make the decisions that they do

If you haven't read Jim Crace before this might be a good place to start
Ruth
Dec 08, 2015 Ruth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction, 1001
Very odd...it appears I have read this book, or at least made it to page 55 as I have marked a word for my word list (sodality), which since said word never made to the list maybe I didn't get much past page 55 either...

I may try again some day, or not. The back cover was mildly intriguing, the first page more so, however, flipping in at random did not bring me to any pages I want to turn.
Cat
Apr 29, 2014 Cat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, books-i-own
Beautiful prose telling an unusual story. Crace has a poetic style and a strong sense of irony. I found myself oddly disappointed by the ending, though, and also by the sentimentality of the book. At times it was very sharp and witty, but the constant rehashing of the main character's childhood made the book seem old-fashioned and a bit depressing.
Melinda
Mar 07, 2011 Melinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
You like slow novels? This is the book for you! I have read and liked other Crace novels, but I had a hard time with this one. None of the characters are engaging or likable and even the crafted prose is chilly and hard to warm up to. Signals of Distress and Being Dead are better books if you want to read something by this author.
Kendra
Oct 24, 2010 Kendra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jim Crace and am slowly reading my way through all of the novels he's written, but this is not one of his better ones. If you've never read Crace and would like to (and I would certainly suggest that you do!) I would not recommend this as your first selection. Better to read Being Dead or Signals of Distress.
Alan
Jun 14, 2016 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
1992 notebook: liked a lot of this but was slightly irritated by the tone, the nudging questions - and how should a man like Rook react to this? Does he crumble, does he... a lot of this, and too obvious pointers. Full of nice touches, though.
Paige Nick
every book of his i read just gets better and better. the most poetic book i've ver read. every sentence a work of art. wow.
Brooks
Aug 22, 2011 Brooks rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this book. Long & lots of words, but a dull concept. No satisfaction in finishing.
Hannah
I like Crace a lot, but reading too many of his books in a row is like eating too much candy.
Architeacher
Jan 20, 2011 Architeacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luscious language. The sort of book that you want to read aloud.
Cheryl Brown
It was a good read. OK. Not startling. But worth a read.
Beth Shields-Szostak
Aug 12, 2011 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
1st edition, signed & inscribed by author
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Dwaine Schoner
Dwaine Schoner rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Emily Baer
Emily Baer rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2016
  • Arcanum 17
  • Cigarettes
  • Love's Work: A Reckoning with Life
  • Schooling
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
James "Jim" Crace is an award-winning English writer. His novel Quarantine, won the Whitbread Novel award and was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize. Harvest won the International Impac Dublin Literary Award, James Tait Black Memorial Prize and was also shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize.

Crace grew up in Forty Hill, an area at the far northern point of Greater London, close to Enfield where Cr
More about Jim Crace...