Start by marking “Avengers 1959” as Want to Read:
Avengers 1959

Avengers 1959

2.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Exploding from the pages of New Avengers! It's the tail end of the fabulous fifties. Nick Fury and his newly-minted Avengers team roar into their secret mission, hunting down nazi super villains - men and women relentlessly preparing to unleash hell on a troubled world barely holding on to peace - only to find that the Avengers have what appears to be serious competition i ...more
Published March 21st 2012 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Avengers 1959, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avengers 1959

Anne
It started with deranged eyebrows...and just went downhill quickly from there.
From what I could find online, this is a follow-up to the Infinity arc, and supposed to give a glimpse of the pre-Avenger Avengers. So I guess Captain America wasn't the first Avenger after all.
Sorry Cap, you've been replaced by a line-up of losers!
Sabertooth, Kraven the Hunter, Namora, and a few others I've never heard of rounded out the team.
Dominic Fortune, anyone?
Anyone?

But first, The Eyebrows ...
It looked like Th
Otherwyrld
Oct 13, 2015 Otherwyrld rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this one a lot more than I did, principally because it's Howard Chaykin drawing the story, but it didn't resonate with me at all. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Agent Carter because I really wanted Peggy to turn up here and kick a few asses. I'm not sure where this is supposed to fall in terms of Marvel continuity - is it some kind of alternative reality?

Chaykin is the perfect person to illustrate this though, given the misogyny of the era. He proves he has still got what it takes
Tomás
Oct 21, 2015 Tomás rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Por que tiene tan bajo puntaje este comic? No están tan mal. Obvio, no es ninguna obra maestra pero es bastante divertido y los dibujos de Chaykin están bien (no son sus mejores dibujos, pero igual..)

Travis
Sep 24, 2012 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
A fun romp that has only a paper thin connection to the actual Avengers.

It's the 1950's and super spy Nick Fury (not played by Sam Jackson in this story) is busy hunting nazis and various mad scientists and monsters left over from the war. He has put together a team of assorted adventurers and villains from marvel history to deal with them.

What do a bunch of nazis, a dark magician and a corrupt US senator have to do with the missing heir to the throne of Wakanda?

Well, if I told you why would you
Paul-Jon
Jan 16, 2013 Paul-Jon rated it it was ok
I quite like the idea of a pre-'proper' Avengers team made up of some Marvel universe folks like Sabretooth, Kraven the Hunter and Dominic Fortune, formed by Nick Fury, having pulpy Cold War spy adventures in dapper suits. The fact it's a Howard Chaykin comic should mean it's pretty much just a right 'romp', eh? He's done this sort of stuff really well, in the past.

Oh, but that art. I'm a fan of Chaykin's bulky chinboys and his love of textured, patterned clothing, but there's something a bit wr
Federiken Masters
La parte que más me gustó es esa en la que entra un simpático hombre mono con pistola por la ventana. La que menos, donde a ese otro hombre mono lo electrocutan con un fierro en la boca. Está bien, era un nazi, pero mono al fin. El resto, bastante bien dibujado y más o menos bien escrito.
La verdad, no creo que sea un cómic que se me vaya a fijar mucho que digamos.
William Thomas
May 08, 2012 William Thomas rated it liked it
Marvel Execs brought Howard Chaykin out of cryogenic hibernation to write a prequel to the Avengers called American Flagg! Wait, no, Avengers 1959. I think its possible that this was a long lost American Flagg! story that Chaykin just never got to use and inserted a bunch of Marvel nobodies and pre-villains into the mix in order to make it gasp-tastic. Only this book isn't going to make anyone gasp. It might make you roll your eyes more than once, though. Despite the fact that this reads like an ...more
Brendan
Howard Chaykin’s pre-Avengers avengers tale is a Marvel-centered take on Operation Paperclip (in which the Allies recruited Nazi scientists to help win the cold war). Nick Fury is enjoyable,and the mix of superheroes works well. Amusing.
Aug 10, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The story was decent. The art was not the best. I definitely would've enjoyed this more overall if it had better art.
Jacob
Apr 12, 2014 Jacob rated it did not like it
Public library copy.

While I have not read a whole bunch of Howard Chaykin book, the one's I have read are less enjoyable when he writes the stories he draws. This title was no exception.
Steven Morton
Nov 22, 2015 Steven Morton rated it it was ok
not great but not horrible I love Chaykins art so hard to give it a failing grade.
Rosa
Jul 08, 2012 Rosa rated it it was ok
So I really wanted to like this but it just didn't happen. It felt like I came in in the middle of a story and was just never able to get my bearings, which is a shame b/c I liked the way the story was kind of stylized.
M Pereira
May 05, 2012 M Pereira rated it did not like it
I didn't like the premise of this story. I tried to like it, really, I did. The plot was too boring and the characters were dull.
La Revistería Comics
Una gran obra de retro-para-contra-supra-intro-continuidad con guion y dibujos del gran Howard Chaykin.
Jason
May 28, 2015 Jason rated it did not like it
Shelves: marvel-comics
So. Boring. Couldn't even care enough to finish reading it.
Mikebo
Mikebo added it
Jan 27, 2016
Memphis Evans
Memphis Evans rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Justin
Justin added it
Jan 17, 2016
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
George Callobre
George Callobre rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Jeremy Midei
Jeremy Midei rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Variaciones Enrojo
Variaciones Enrojo marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
John Roberson
John Roberson rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Polis Stavrou
Polis Stavrou rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015