Start by marking “The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide

The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  4,995 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Everything you've ever wanted to know about the cast of The Walking Dead. The Survivor's Guide is a handy checklist of all the characters who have appeared in the series thus far, alive or dead. This series is a can't-miss supplement to the hit comic book series that is now a hit TV series on AMC!
Published November 1st 2011 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide

Wendy
A good synopsis for someone in the midst of reading the GN's.

I read a majority of them a year or so ago, and although I enjoy the story overall, it really is disturbing at time. I have just plain forgotten so many characters because that is just the nature of the beast that is The Walking Dead.

Kirkman has a habit of introducing and killing characters off on a GRR Martin scale.

You just get to know someone, and bam! they're gone.
Ron Turner
Dec 21, 2011 Ron Turner rated it it was ok
Profiles of all of the characters in the graphic novel series. I liked how it showed their death scenes. But it was repetitive at times and could've used better editing. Some characters were listed as living but then you find out they died just a few sentences down in their profile.
Brenda
Jul 22, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm not quite sure what to think about this one. I guess it's a good resource to have if you're reading the series and can't remember who is who. But it's not really a good one to read straight through, and it's not anything I'd want to own.
Javi
Apr 25, 2012 Javi rated it liked it
Un buen resumen de los personajes que han ido apareciendo durante todo el proceso de The Walking Dead. Según se aprecia irán repasándose todos los personajes por entregas; en la primera entrega tenemos a 20 personajes, listados por orden alfabético.

Sirve como resumen, por si nos perdemos entre tantos personajes. Y también para poder ir recordando si viven o mueren. Podemos averiguar en cuántos número salen, qué papel juegan en cada una de las etapas de la historia, sus relaciones, etc.

Me parece
Alex
Oct 16, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok
I haven't read all the books that go with the companion just yet, but it is nice to flip through sometimes and just read about things from other books. I enjoy reminiscing about who died and who is still living but I don't look at pages of characters that I don't know or don't want to know about.
I recommend this to readers who have read Walking Dead numbers 1 - 16.
Rating: 5.7/10
Parental Rating: 16+
JayLando
Feb 04, 2013 JayLando rated it it was ok
This collection is very redundant and flows very poorly. I understand what the aim was and while technically it succeeds; there is no real need for this to exist. No new art, simple Wikipedia style passages and not much else.

A lot of it repeats. Not only that but it does not paint a clear picture of the entire story. The entries too piecemeal. Even for fans, avoid.
Niels
Jul 27, 2013 Niels rated it it was ok
I like this book between the comics because after some issues it sure got a bit confusing around characters.
This book is great because it tells who's still alive and who died.
It actually shows how many characters appeared in the comics already which was a higher number than I expected.

Reading this guide gets a boring sometimes, so I read it in small parts in between the comics.
Kaethe
Apr 24, 2012 Kaethe marked it as abandoned
I thought it was going to be a guide on how to survive the apocalypse, when it was a guide to the characters. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I was in the mood for. It's probably very useful to have around, just to keep everyone straight while you're reading or watching.

Library copy.
Kirsten
Mar 13, 2012 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very cool guide for Walking Dead fans. Had the majority of the named characters origins, status and departures.

Only problem I saw with it was that Ron - Jessie and Pete's son from Alexandria, was marked as "living" when his "point of departure" was "devoured by walkers trying to escape alexandria".

Buh?
Kelli
Nov 08, 2013 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is a good supplement to the Walking Dead graphic novels. It details all the characters, dead and alive, who have been in the graphic novels. Don't read this before reading the graphic novels, or it'll spoil the endings of each novel.
Matimate
Feb 11, 2013 Matimate rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic_novels, 2013
Walking Dead comics tends to snuff your favorite character, when you do not expect it. It is helpful guide to the survivors and even if it is little spoilerish, it is must have if you are fan of Walking Dead.

Zombies are dead so they are not included :P
Robert Grant
Jul 31, 2013 Robert Grant rated it really liked it
An excellent resource and companion book to the main series of comics. Note - not to be read until the reader has finished Volume 14. This is very important as the guides give away valuable plot points and incidents that happen up to and including volume 14.
Marla
Mar 15, 2012 Marla rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, 2012, zombie
While it's nice to have a reference for all the characters in the comic series, there was a lot of repetitive information given. Some characters were painful to get through because of this.
Greg
Nov 02, 2013 Greg rated it liked it
It's helpful if you are reading through the comics, but by itself it really isn't that interesting.
Matthew Philips
Oct 17, 2012 Matthew Philips rated it liked it
Continuous misspellings and printing errors make this collection seem rushed and sloppy. Overall, a good reference for the numerous characters introduced throughout the series.
Mark
Mar 09, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Helpful guide to the characters if you're reading The Walking Dead over a long period and lose track of who's who.
Jess
Nov 24, 2012 Jess rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
im not a huge fan of these recap fanwhore collections but it was nice to remember people, and to see who could potentially show up again...
Hyzenthlay
Apr 22, 2014 Hyzenthlay rated it liked it
Sina really dropped the ball on this one. Riddled with typos, it was almost painful to read at times.
Ann Osburn
Jan 05, 2013 Ann Osburn rated it really liked it
Great companion book to the comic series. Absolutely perfect resource for the time when you're thinking "I can't remember..."
Marts  (Thinker)
This survivor's guide chronicles all the characters appearing in the series...
PJ
Aug 14, 2012 PJ added it
Not really worth rating, but a good reference for when a new volume comes out.
Daud
Apr 07, 2014 Daud rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wd
it is a amazing book !!!
Lolards
May 19, 2014 Lolards rated it did not like it
This is ball shit it won't let me read the go damn book
Mar 29, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
sneaked a peek, glad to see it won't ruin show for me since there are a lot of differences
Fabián Castillo
Apr 15, 2014 Fabián Castillo rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Helped me keep some of the minor characters straight. Got redundant after awhile.
Dan Wilson
Feb 28, 2016 Dan Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
This is a reference book featuring bio after bio of characters from the Walking Dead comics in alphabetical order by first name, from the start of the series through the "No Way Out" storyline that recently aired in the TV version. I read it cover to cover, which is a little painful to do in more ways than one. For one, many characters' storylines overlap, so there is a lot of redundancy. For another, the emotional impact of what the characters have gone through is harder hitting in this format ...more
Phillip
Mar 01, 2016 Phillip rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, comics, image
A great companion to The Walking Dead comic series. This book gives an overview of all the characters that appear in the first 84 issues. The information on each character includes whether they are alive or not, when they appeared, how they left (if applicable), and any contributions they made to the story.

Obviously, some characters will have more information presented than others because of how long they are around. One element that I really liked is the background images. They are white or bla
Jessica
I think I would rate this a 3.5 at best. The book is a summary of every character's storyline from the beginning of the comics until issue #78 or so. It's kind of cool, because it literally talks about EVERY character, big or small, but... it was also clearly done as a cash grab to capitalize on the popularity of the show/resurgent popularity of the comics. It was obviously slapped together in a rush - the book is riddled with spelling and grammatical errors (including misspelling "Axel" as ...more
Kat
May 25, 2015 Kat rated it liked it
It was a cool recap for everything that's happened thus far in the comic book series.
I wasn't expecting it to basically be a synopsis for each character that had been introduced into the comics. But my only complaint about it is that this should have been released after the final comic, capturing every single character that has been in the series.
Also, I don't know if it was just my copy or what, but the print was so close to the binding in the book that I couldn't read some of the words the c
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 3: Hot Zone
  • The Walking Dead, Book Seven (The Walking Dead #73-84)
  • Lady Mechanika, Vol.1: the Mystery of Mechanical Corpse
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • The Walking Dead Chronicles
  • Invasion (The Walking Dead #6)