Start by marking “The Art of Deception” as Want to Read:
The Art of Deception

The Art of Deception

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,699 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Adam Haines was an artist visiting the Fairchild mansion to do some undercover digging, and that was a problem for a man who preferred to be straightforward. An even bigger problem was Kirby Fairchild, daughter of the world-famous painter he'd been sent to investigate. She was part child, part elf, and the most fascinating woman he'd ever encountered.

However, Kirby had a d
Published October 17th 2011 by Silhouette Desire (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Deception

Amelia Elizabeth
I have to say this was my least favorite Nora Roberts. It was a struggle to get through. I couldn't connect with the characters, I really didn't care what happened to them. The writing was good and I was interested in the plot.
Sonia Cristina
Não achei que fosse dos melhores, mas também não foi dos piores. Ainda me ri em algumas cenas, Kirby e o pai tinham umas saídas mesmo loucas e o cão e a gata juntavam-se à festa. ;D

Do que gostei mais foi que nem Kirby nem Adam fossem aquele tipo de personagem que resiste aos sentimentos e não se quer apaixonar e quando acontece recusa, etc...
Katie B-K
Totally thought this book was new until the characters started smoking cigarettes and I realized it was a reprint. Enjoyed it well enough.
Brooke
May 31, 2014 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as part of the Whispered Promises compilation.

The gist: Kirby’s father is a famous painter. Adam is a well-known painter. Adam comes to stay in their house for a few weeks. Kirby’s dad does forgeries of famous, classic paintings. It’s fraud, but he’s not a bad guy. Anyway, a Rembrandt painting has been stolen and Adam is there, secretly, to find the Rembrandt. Kirby and Adam fall in love. There are a couple attempts made on Kirby’s life. The whole plot with the Rembrandt is unrav
Emily
Jun 17, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed by my last two books so I decided to return to an old favorite who I knew would give me a quick, romantic, easy read and I wasn’t disappointed. I’m a pretty big fan of Nora Roberts because I think she does romance without being trashy and every girl could use more romance in her life (trashy has its place as well.) Side note: two of my favorite romance series are Roberts’ Bride Quartet and the Inn Boonsboro trilogy. Check them out! This novel introduces us to the feisty Kirby, ...more
Barb
Feb 14, 2013 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
part elf, and the most fascinating woman he'd ever encountered. She also had a disconcertingly sense of right and wrong. Adam's own code of ethics was much broader. Is this relationship able to develop in spite
Maura
Robert L. Fletcher
Just Nora Roberts

A bit of Nora Roberts every week or two is just awesome. The grass is greener the sky is bluer the days are nicer and the nights are restful. It doesn't matter which of her books you read or the trilogies you get lost in it is a wonderful and spellbinding trip. I am a male. 85 years old with at least 50 of Nora's books on my kindle and I consider her one of the very best writers and each and every one of her books a five star read thank you
Romanticdryad
I enjoyed this one. The love story was pretty conventional and it bugged me that, with all the secrecy around Adam's true reason for being there, the actual secret turned out to be the least interesting part of the book, but I liked it.

I find I seem to enjoy Roberts' criminals with a heart of gold a lot, and the banter and odd sort of dramatic gameplaying of the father/daughter duo was fairly enjoyable although I might find it exhausting in real life.
Luccia Haughton
Sep 04, 2015 Luccia Haughton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"I want to write a strong female character!", Mrs Nora Roberts exclaimed. "And once I have my template I will use it in every single book I write!".
The idea behind the story was ingenious to say the least. Yet very poor execution made it an awfully dull read. I wrote Harry Potter fan fiction better than this when I was in 5th grade, and my characters actually had depth and developed through the course of silly smut.
These 'middle aged moms with no more spice in their marriage' books are not my
Mónica Horta
Nov 03, 2015 Mónica Horta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Este livro provocou em mim reacções ambíguas. Se por um lado gostei do Adam, por outro achei a Kirby e o pai meio loucos. Já para não falar do cão e do gato e da sua relação estranhíssima... Não é mesmo dos melhores livros de Nora Roberts.
Yvonne
Aug 25, 2015 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captured me! I love the character of Kirby Fairchild! She's strong and crazy but also vulnerable and loving! A great combination!
Judy A. howard
Nov 18, 2015 Judy A. howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good as always

Once again Nora write a story like no other story she has done before. It a great cast of characters
Ritesh
Sep 11, 2013 Ritesh rated it it was ok
Possibly the best way to start the review the book is that I am so glad I finished it! It brings in me a sense of liberation, free from the clutches of self-imposed rule of having to complete a book I started.

Forget understanding how love blossomed between the two main characters in less time than it would take you to spell the four letter word, forget your sincere attempts to feel the suspense that the book is trying to create, forget the sense in all the nonsense that fills up the book - once
Kate Millin
Mar 19, 2016 Kate Millin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirby is a sculptor with an extremely gifted and eccentric artist for a father. Adam is an artist who visits them to look for. Rembrandt as his side job is working with a mystery man. Sparks fly between Adam and Kirby as the convoluted plot develops - involving close friend and gallery owner Hillary, her daughter Melanie, and the gallery manager Spencer. I loved the inscrutable butler Card, but found this book didn't flow quite as well as the others I have read
Brenda
I read this book to give this author another chance to prove to me that she can write a unique story. I realize that this is an older work from this author, but I had never read it. The story did hold my attention and it was entertaining. The flow of the story was quick and smooth. I do realize that this is a different type of story compared to the author's recent work. For a change of pace I might read this author again.
vanessa kennedy
Jan 04, 2015 vanessa kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artful. Enjoyment

From the beginning to the end I was intrigued with the characters and plot. It didn't take me long to read the entire book . I was so engrossed in the events that the day turned into night and I had finished the book. Thoroughly enjoy a blue and a great way to pass the time . Two thumbs up!
Cheryl
Feb 02, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not one of Nora Robert's most sophisticated books. What MUST be known and understood is that it was one of her early books and she hadn't developed the richness of talent she now has. Even so early in her career, however, her talent is clear. I really enjoyed the book. It is a light read and a fast one.
Lizabeth Tucker
Artist Adam Haines is sent to investigate Philip Fairchild at his home overlooking the Hudson River. Adam quickly discovers he's entered a madhouse. The elder Fairchild is mercurial, competetive, and a brilliant painter. His daughter, Kirby, is captivating, strong-willed, and a talented sculptor. Adam's reluctant attraction to Kirby could complicate his assignment.

I can tell that this is one of Roberts' earlier works. Unlike the majority of her romances, I had a hard time getting into the story.
Sally
Apr 26, 2015 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ranooshe
Feb 16, 2016 Ranooshe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The setting is very romantic, as usual. And even if it wasn't, Roberts made sure it stuck to the reader's mind through beautiful description. The romance is traditional, so is the 'scheme', yet I did enjoy reading it.
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Rothchild adalah pasangan ayah dan anak yg memiliki karakter unik. Sebagai seorang detektif dari agen asuransi, Adam masuk dalam keluarga ini dan menemukan banyak hal yang tidak lumrah, dan membuatnya bingung serta jatuh hati pada Kirby.
Seperti biasa, karakter2 unik selalu ditampilkan NR dalam setiap buku2 yang ditulisnya, dan kadang saya berpikir, bagaimana cara NR melakukan riset sehingga bisa menemukan banyak sekali karakter yang bisa dipergunakannya dalam buku2 yang ditulisnya. Memang bisa s
Ann
Aug 03, 2013 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read. Kirby reminded me of Maggie (another artist from Nora Roberts` Born in Fire), being a bit crazy in the best way.

I did not undestand Adam`s purpose at first. I knew what he wanted to find but not why. His attraction to Kirby (and her for him) was obvious. Though I did not understand her rush to get married!?! It was like, they met and immediately she declared her love for him. The mandatory drama was brought in when Kirby found out about Adam`s agenda.

What bothered me was the cons
Andrea
Jun 29, 2015 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Happy for a light easy read after a string of not so easy to read books. Obviously this story didn't change my life, the characters were pretty shallow, but I wasn't looking for depth.
Lissa
Aug 09, 2014 Lissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first Nora Roberts book and I was expecting an exciting romantic book. Instead I found it to be simple and not very convincing characters. I will try to read a more recent book, however.
Judy
Aug 05, 2015 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I often like to read a Nora Roberts book to just escape for a bit. This one, although I finished it, just didn't do it for me. I found the characters silly and the plot sillier.
sakura_txell
Sintiéndolo mucho, los Harlequines están a años luz de las últimas novelas de Nora Roberts. Historias con intriga, pero no tan elaboradas.
Pasable para los fans.
Becky Griffin
Entertaining. Nice to read a book that the storyline wasn't heavy. Loved the relationship between father and daughter. Did have to skip some sex scene pages.
Clara Zane
Jul 06, 2014 Clara Zane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't particularly like all of the POV head-hopping in this one at first, but the characters were so crazy, it made perfect sense to do it. A fun read.
Dusty
Mar 24, 2015 Dusty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy books by Nora Roberts. But this one wasn't a favorite. Hard for me to finish it. Don't recommend it. I was disappointed.
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Escape from Cabriz
  • The Playboy & Plain Jane (Dynasties: The Barones #1)
  • Kat and the Dare-Devil Spaniard (The Balfour Brides #2)
  • The Royal Wedding Night
  • The One-Night Wife (O'Connells, #5)
  • The Third Wife
  • The Soldier's Secret Daughter (Top Secret Deliveries #3)
  • Jodoh Sang Jutawan Italia (Counts of Calvani , #2)
  • Man of Ice
  • Ya, Saya Bersedia, Tapi... (I Do, I Do... For Now)
  • An Accidental Engagement / Pertunangan Tak Disengaja
  • Pelajaran Cinta (Lesson To Learn)
  • The Unforgiving Bride
  • Dreamscapes
  • The Sheik and the Bought Bride (Desert Rogues, #13) (Silhouette Special Edition, #1999)
  • Highland Fling (Perfect Timing #2)
  • Annie and the Red-Hot Italian (The Balfour Brides, #6)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...