Start by marking “Bill W.: A Biography of Alcoholics Anonymous Cofounder Bill Wilson” as Want to Read:
Bill W.: A Biography of Alcoholics Anonymous Cofounder Bill Wilson

Bill W.: A Biography of Alcoholics Anonymous Cofounder Bill Wilson

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  4 reviews
When Bill Wilson, with his friend Dr. Bob Smith, founded Alcoholics Anonymous in 1935, his hope was that AA would become a safe haven for those who suffered from this disease. Thirty years after his death, AA continues to help millions of alcoholics recover from what had been commonly regarded as a hopeless addiction. Still, while Wilson was a visionary for millions, he wa ...more
Published October 12th 2001 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published March 16th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Bill W., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bill W.

Matt
Hartigan’s work seeks to portray the life of the world’s most famous anonymous man, Bill W(ilson). Bill’s life is far from unique, but his life story is simultaneously inspiring and complex. Using personal correspondence interviews with friends and AA members, and memories of Lois Wilson (Bill's wife), Hartigan delves into the complex biographical presentation that was Bill’s life.

From a typical late-19th century childhood, Hartigan gives the familial back story for both Wilsons. Learning a lit
Julie
I wish Goodreads had an option of categorizing books that we never finish reading, because I never finished reading this one. I decided to abort it. I was halfway through it and I liked it okay, but I just didn't feel like taking any more time on it. I do not normally abandon books, I try to always give them a proper and complete read-through, but I just couldn't with this one. I have sooo many books I wish to read that I thought my time would be better spent on those. With that said, I really c ...more
Emjayinc
Politely phrased but very honest and realistic insights into Bill, and Lois, his strengths and flaws, and Lois' characteristic acceptance, forbearance, and forgiveness. She could also have founded ACOA, if she had lived longer.
Ginger Robinson
I felt like I was reading a college student's paper on the history of AA. I couldn't get past the first chapter. I want to know the history b/c I'm interested, but I must find another biography :)
Ingrid Ennis
Ingrid Ennis marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
H. Gene Thomas
H. Gene Thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Ernie Earth
Ernie Earth marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Sue
Sue added it
Sep 21, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Susan Baranoff
Susan Baranoff marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
laura heidt
laura heidt marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Alireza Hamidi avval
Alireza Hamidi avval marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014