Start by marking “Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul” as Want to Read:
Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul

Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  596 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The long-awaited, complete guide to the popular, vigorous American method of yoga that is deeply rooted in ancient wisdom and scriptures

“In this day and age of health and fitness trends, it is assuring to know that Sharon and David encourage their students to draw inspiration from the classical texts of Yoga and timeless scriptural sources. What I appreciate so much ab
Published April 6th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published April 23rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jivamukti Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jivamukti Yoga

carrie beth
This is the best overview book on yoga I have ever read. It is descriptive enough that even very beginners can pick it up and get to practicing right off. It doesn't just emphasize what most westerners think of as "yoga"- the asanas, or physical practices, but they give equal weight to, and highlight the importance of, all eight limbs of the yogic path, making clear connections between each limb. I love how devoted to the history of yoga these authors/teachers remain, and how accessible they mak ...more
Even though this book mentioned God more times than I’ve heard aloud in all my years of yoga class, I genuinely want to sign up for this thing called Jivamutki yoga. A couple of musicians/performance artists from the east village decide that westerners needs a more traditional form of yoga, and create Jivamutki in the late 80s/early 90s. Their practice and teachings incorporate lessons from the ancient yoga sutras (Patanjali, Bhagavad Gita) and emphasize the use of music (kirtan chanting) to att ...more
I liked this book because it provided a very accessible view of yoga. There were very thoughtful approaches to yoga, and I felt the book was completely sincere. As a musician, I really appreciated the emphasis placed on music in the practice -- from just livening things up to chant and items that are more devotional.

The area that I wasn't sure I aligned was with their suggestion that yoga might be a religion, rather than a philosophy. I could see the Gannon's perspective on this matter, but feel
I resisted reading this book for a long time. As a professional yoga teacher, I kind of detest 'signature yoga methods' and I was vaguely creeped out by Gannon and Life's photo being worshipped on the altar at my local Jivamukti studio. However, this book is an amazing resource for teachers and students. I was surprised to find my prejudices against the authors softened by their earnestness and the great respect they have for their own teachers, which shines through in the book. I'm keeping a co ...more
David Meyer
Jivamukti is my favorite type of yoga! It is the best type of yoga because they use that ancient wisdom of actual yoga and incorporate a vegan diet into this!

My favorite part about Jivamukti yoga is the spirituality that is incorporated and the intense shoulderstands and headstands at the end. It is the most "real" type of yoga I have ever done and makes me feel incredible!

Try my vegan creation below some time for a super healthy dish for vegans!

Jack Lalanne Gladiator Barley + Lentil Detox Casse
I really connect with the Jivamukti style, it being focused on the cultivation of compassion for ourselves, others, and the world around us. It's includes detailed information that delves into important topics of yoga. Also, I find it extremely for helping transform your practice, with many outlines for how to structure up your home practice.
Very cool people, these two. Both former musicians/performers/artists, they created Jivamukti Yoga (self-liberation). They studied in India under Pattabi Jois among others. They are very very political in the animal rights and vegan realm. I got to take some of there classes last year at the SWYC.
Love me, love my crazy yoga books. A great thorough book on yoga & meditation. Well done.
Claire Elizabeth
This is an article on the three most impacting quotes from the Gannon/ Life book, along with my personal take-away and experiences.

Reflection on Gannon/Life Book:

This is my big take-away from the book: that I had everything to do with where I am now; that I must set aside “I know,” so that I can be taught; and that the vibrations of yoga allow me to transform through cat-cow-cobra-dog.

I had everything to do with where I am now. Sometimes it’s tempting to take credit as my individual effort for e
I realized recently my first yoga experience was with a Jivamukti teacher in 1998 at the Crunch gym next to the old Lafayette studio. Since then, I’ve wandered in and out of other studios without finding the same satisfaction. It wasn’t until reading the Jivamukti yoga book that I understood why the method resonates so deeply. There is a wisdom running through it that most Western yoga experience lack, never losing sight of the goal as Samadhi. The emphasis on compassion for all beings vibrates ...more
Erin Mallon
A very nice modern compilation of yogic teachings. As in her yoga style, Gannon has basically infused the traditional, scripture-based world of vedanta with a lively contemporary energy-diagrams of asana alignment are found side-by-side with funny little stories about yogic concepts, and wordy philosophical propositions are followed by succinct vernacular. It's an easy book to read with a lot of information and a lot to teach. If you are already an expert in yogic philosophy-the yoga sutras, the ...more
This book has a lot of good information on the philosophical/spritual side of yoga practice, more than I've found in other books. However, there are also quite a few irritating features and passages, including celebrity worship/name-dropping (Forward by Sting? Please...), pretentiousness, pseudoscience, and a certain narcissism on the part of the authors. Still, if you are willing to look through the way ideas are presented, and concentrate on the underlying message, it's definitely worth a read ...more
Ripa Ajmera
This is a terrific manual for yoga. It's much more than demonstrating poses (though the picture of poses are amazing!); they describe meeting their teachers, about meditation, the importance of devotion, music and becoming socially activated, in a spiritual manner. Freeing the only prisoner you can really set free: your own soul. Authors Sharon Gannon and David Life are yoga masters who have contributed a great deal to making yoga as popular as it is today in America, and do so while honoring th ...more
Very informative and inspiring. I completed this book while sick with strep throat, so it was quite frustrating not to be able to practice what I was reading about. But I'll soon recover, and I'll have plenty to try once I do, which is good because my own practice was getting repetitive and dry. This book has a small section of photographed sequences to try, which will keep me busy for a while, but much of it is focused on a way of life, rather than the physical postures of yoga. Very helpful ti ...more
Brieahn J.
For those who are looking for a strict yoga philosophy to adhere to this book fits the bill. There does not seem to be a lot of room for flexibility in viewpoints. It is one way, which is the "right" way, or it is wrong. I was very turned off by this. The second half of the book is a great resource for methods of sequencing. If you are someone like me who prefers a more hybridized philosophy on life I would skip the front end and move straight to the Asana practice chapters.
Incredible book for the soul and spiritual side of yoga. I loved reading this book so much that I intend on reading it again. There is so much to learn from this book if you are a yogi or are interested in a yogi lifestyle. I've practised Jivamutki Yoga for 4 years now, but only physically, now I understand the true purpose behind my practice and I can now take it to a more meaningful and deeper spiritual lever. It's a must read for all yogi's!
I thoroughly enjoy Jivamukti Yoga. The book did not offer what I was looking for, but I am glad that I read it. It was much more about the Yogi lifestyle than practicing Asanas. Along with other reviewers, I noted some name-dropping and horn-tooting. It begs the question: how does one balance running a successful business with aspiring to live(even asserting that you are one, for that matter) as a Yoga Master?
Aug 01, 2007 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yogis
Shelves: yoga
I read this book after I had been practicing at Jivamukti for a few months in order to get a more thorough understanding of the Jivamukti method. Unlike most yoga books, this one serves as a really good overview of yoga as a whole (as opposed to just focusing on the physical asanas).
Katy Mason
Most beautiful book that I've read in quite some time. Sharon does a beautiful job of encompassing all aspects of Jivamukti's path. It has undoubtedly inspired me to lead a more thoughtful, clear life & has also lifted my yoga practice to a new level spiritually.
Hannah O'Reilly
Jul 25, 2007 Hannah O'Reilly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yoga teachers
Shelves: yoga
I have to admit - I have not read every page of this book but I find it to be a great reference for sequencing a yoga class and setting up a vigorous vinyasa practice. Even without having read the meat of the book yet I find this to be a great resource.
Katie Hay
Beautiful photos of yoga asanas. I'm a jivamukti yoga practitioner so this book provided a great foundation on this style of yoga but is also good for anyone wanting to learn more about the physical and spiritual practice of yoga.
A yoga practice that requires study, thought, and changing your habits. A yoga teacher of mine said I'd probably like Jivamukti for all those reasons. Then I took at class at the Jivamukti center in NYC while on a visit. I'm hooked.
This is a very thorough book on yoga from a spiritual view point - perfect for the practioner looking for inspiration. It is easy to read with definitions and excellent sequencing ideas. I think it's a must read.
Megan O'Laughlin
This is a fantastic yoga book, catered to the Western yogi. The authors, Sharon Gannon and David Life write of teaching yoga in the Western world. This is a must have for any yogi's book collection.
I'm really learning a lot here. Good Stuff on Yoga Philosophy, Posture, Pranayama, and all 8 limbs.... More for students choosing to deepen their practice than students who are beginners
Jan 27, 2009 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yogis and novice yogis
Shelves: yoga
Very good intro to the eight limbs of yoga. Provides asana practice picture instruction for various levels of yoga. I also benefit a lot from the sanskrit glossary.
Reading in preparation for a workshop with Sharon and David in February. This book explains how the multiple practices of yoga fit together and really work. Revelatory.
It is a wonderful resource that covers all aspect yoga. I especially enjoyed the information on non-violence to all living beings by the practice of vegetarianism.
This is a great book on yoga philosophy. Writers and long time yoga instructors Sharon and David explain their take on yoga and give history and background.
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Myths of the Asanas: The Ancient Origins of Yoga
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga And The Path Of The Urban Mystic
  • Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands

“Yoga practices shift our identity away from the ego-personality and its struggles so that we can begin to reconnect with the essential nature of our being, which is bliss.” 1 likes