Start by marking “Quaker Witness” as Want to Read:
Quaker Witness

Quaker Witness (Elizabeth Elliot Mystery #2)

Meet Elizabeth Elliot. A Quaker whose quiet wisdom and determined will are powerful tools of detection.

In the world of paleontology, the name of the game is research. Some would even kill for credentials. So it comes as no surprise--and as quiet satisfaction for many--when an eminent scientist is found murdered in his Harvard lab. The prime suspect is a beautiful graduate
Published April 15th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published October 12th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Quaker Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quaker Witness

KA
Nov 09, 2015 KA rated it liked it
A rather sweet, Quaker-inflected cozy.
Gail
Mar 13, 2017 Gail rated it liked it
Easy to read; it was OK, but not a good as I remember Quaker Silence to be. I won't be reading the others in the series.
Sherrill Watson
Oct 27, 2014 Sherrill Watson rated it liked it
Not as good as Quaker Silence, but still very good.

Janet Stevens is a PhD student at Harvard, studying paleontology. She is sexually harassed by her advisor, Paul Chadwick.

Enter Elizabeth Elliot, detective and Friend.

Some of the explanations of how he died left me cross-eyed . . . I didn't find the religious blurbs at the beginning of the chapters as comforting . . . and I didn't like the ways Elizabeth ignored the Quaker "rules' when it suited her-- the author could have found another way. Ha
Beth Pearson
Jun 29, 2012 Beth Pearson rated it liked it
Sexual harrassment, a lesson in Quaker culture and beliefs, romance, pride, forgiveness, ethics in higher education, general decency to human beings and a bunch of other stuff. This book had a lot more to it then I suspected.

I have to say I liked it. A little suspense, but nothing too creepy.

It also surprised me with some swear words. It is hard to see that coming when you are reading a book about a religious old woman and each chapter starts out with a scripture from the prophet Isiah! Borrow
Emily Cullen
Sep 25, 2016 Emily Cullen rated it really liked it
A young women comes to Meetinghouse Clerk Elizabeth Elliot for help after she is sexually harassed by her academic advisor. When the advisor is found dead the girl finds herself the number one suspect. Believing in her innocence, Elizabeth must find out who really killed the advisor. Author Irene Allen wrote so few of these "Elizabeth Elliot" cozy mystery series but they are real gems. Especially if you, like me find the Quaker life fascinating.
Randi
May 25, 2013 Randi rated it did not like it
Part of a series of whodunnits, but I didn't like it. The protagonist is a senior citizen Quaker. Way too much moralizing, which was boring -- even though I believe in the same values. No interesting characters.
Jenny O
Dec 14, 2013 Jenny O rated it it was amazing
Loved this one, too, and will keep looking for the rest of the series. Irene Allen has a great way of teaching you about another culture while you skip along with the mystery. WEll worth a read, easy and enjoyable.
Carol
Nov 07, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The sleuth of this mystery is a widow in her sixties, clerk of Cambridge Friends Meeting. It is very good at portraying a Quaker way of life and of seeing the world. I really liked the ending especially. Sarah Dowell owns this book if you would like to read it.
Sep 22, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A low-key mystery set at Harvard with a Quaker clerk of meeting as the mystery-solver.
Judith
Feb 10, 2010 Judith rated it liked it
Harvard grad student wants to press a sexual harrassment complaint against her advisor, but someone kills his instead.
John Williams
Oct 12, 2015 John Williams rated it liked it
This book is a little over the top in its portrayal of Quakers. As a scientist, I primarily enjoyed the portrayal of scientific misconduct.
Rick
Oct 10, 2012 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Very readable mystery. It takes place at a Harvard Univ. science building, and I was glad to be able to follow the story in spite of the scientific nature of the mystery.
Michael Adam Reale
Aug 15, 2014 Michael Adam Reale rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Another excellent read in the Elizabeth Elliot Mysteries.
Diana Sandberg
May 06, 2013 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it
As good as the first. A bit moodier, very involving.
Vickie Aldrich
Aug 14, 2014 Vickie Aldrich rated it really liked it
As a Quaker I enjoyed this book. I also liked that it was not extremely violent and portrayed women's struggles in academia at the end of the 20th century.
Mary Kay Thompson
Mary Kay Thompson rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2009
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2012
J. Brent Bill
J. Brent Bill rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
May 13, 2012
Carl Williams
Carl Williams rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2011
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2012
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jobiska (Cindy) rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2011
Marcia J COyle
Marcia J COyle rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Quaker 1 4 Sep 20, 2008 05:14PM
Irene Allen is the pen-name of Dr E Kirsten Peters, former faculty member in Washington State University's Department of Geology. She is a native of rural Washington State who graduated with a degree in geology from Princeton University in 1984. She earned her doctorate from the Earth and Planetary Sciences Department at Harvard University in 1990. She has also done published research in the late- ...more
More about Irene Allen...

Elizabeth Elliot Mystery (4 books)
  • Quaker Silence