Start by marking “House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10)” as Want to Read:
House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10)

House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy #10)

Taking refuge in the infamous House of Hell has to be the worst mistake of your life!

The dangers of the torrential storm outside are nothing compared to the blood-curdling adventures that await you inside. Who knows how many hapless wanderers like yourself have perished within its gruesome walls? Be warned! Tonight is going to be a night to remember ...

Two dice, a pencil a
Published November 29th 1984 by Puffin Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about House of Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Hell

Alex
Dec 14, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, gamebooks
This is an absolutely terrific gamebook, a fiendishly conceptualised puzzle that's made even more fun to play by its beautifully grizzly - albeit utterly cliched - horror setting and nightmare plot ('plat' may be a push), wherein our hapless adventurer finds himself knocking on the door of a mansion for help after a car accident. The owner of the house, an early is, naturally, pretty evil and into devil worship and sacrifice, and it's your job to escape from this madness. You'll meet the usual a ...more
David Sarkies
May 17, 2014 David Sarkies rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gaming Geeks who like horror (or something different)
Recommended to David by: Ultimately Primary School
Shelves: gamebook
Dean Kootz goes Fighting Fantasy
23 June 2012

When I was a kid I did read this but found that this book was not only quite hard but also of a genre that I was not particularly interested in. Personally I really do not like the horror genre, particularly when the genre involves haunted houses and ghosts. However this is not a typical horror story like Dean Kootz would write, but rather it is a game book using the horror genre as a background.
It appears that the writers of the gamebooks (Steve Jac
Rich Stoehr
May 12, 2010 Rich Stoehr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I read and enjoyed most of the interactive Fighting Fantasy book series when I was but a lad in my teenage years, 'House of Hades' is the one that I remember most, for two reasons.

First, unlike most of the FF books, which were fantasy role-playing (with a few science fiction stories thrown in for good measure), 'House of Hades' was firmly in the horror category, starting with your character showing up at a spooky old house and becoming trapped within its walls to experience the terrors wi
Graham
Dec 05, 2008 Graham rated it it was amazing
I loved these FIGHTING FANTASY gamebooks as a kid but HOUSE OF HELL was something slightly different - not a fantasy book but a horror one! Needless to say, at the age of 12, playing this in my darkened bedroom, I was extremely frightened.

I can still remember the adventure unfolding before me. The car accident, the rain, entering the house. The odd butler and the rooms with weird noises coming out of them. The gore and the vampires and the monsters in darkened corners. My heart would beat a litt
Siobhan
If the truth is to be known, these books are fun at first. Sadly, however, they quickly grow old.

If you have experienced one of these kinds of books you have experienced them all. Whilst the stories differ, the effect they have upon a person is the same across the board. You have fun for a while and then they are put aside.

It is okay to pick up one or two throughout your life but I would not recommend going out of your way to buy them en masse. As for which one(s) you pick up… well, that is a c
Hank Lancet
May 28, 2012 Hank Lancet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may have read all of these books as a kid, but this one was the most memorable. I remember the first time I watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I kept thinking of this book, Lord Kelnor, the Earl of Drumer, entertaining me, his guest of circumstance. I still vividly remember all of the demonic room names as well as how to "win" this book adventure.
Deviki
Embarrassing as it sounds I had trouble winning this book
I lost like 5 times ….yes very embarrassing indeed….but still I had a very good time playing this game !!!
Michael Kelly
May 26, 2015 Michael Kelly rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a classic gamebook. I wasn't able to get very far in it at all as a child, but have persevered till I cracked it this time round. It's very hard and there are several instances where a wrong turning will doom you. However, unlike most others, this book plays with your mind, offering a series of further choices, every single one of which will ultimately lead you to an unavoidable death. This means that you may play through a particular series of rooms several times till you rea ...more
Rodney McCain
Sep 01, 2016 Rodney McCain rated it it was amazing
This book almost gave me nightmares as a kid.... it's the basic stable ingredients for any great horror story...your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere on a dark, wet night...you see a light in the trees, and what you hope to be a save haven turns into your worst imaginings....welcome to the House of Hell, which will take great luck and skill getting out of alive!! I had a couple of other Fighting Fantasy books but they couldn't retain my interest like this one did, so if you only ever get ...more
Darian
Oct 31, 2014 Darian rated it did not like it
As gamebooks go, this is very badly written.

There are instances where, even after going through the hassle of winning a combat or rolling the dice favourably, you are told in the next section that you die anyway. The story is hardly credible as well. I'm searching some shelves and I turn up a bottle containing an unidentified liquid or something; the book asks me if I want to drink it...who in their right mind does that? Sheesh. After dying several times, I just gave up because it was too ridicu
Lady Entropy
Nov 19, 2012 Lady Entropy rated it really liked it
This was a very VERY well written and well concept-ed book. So well that when I read it in my tween years, it gave me nightmares, and I wound up giving the book away as I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Maybe now I'll find it trite and even cliché, but I remember having to turn on the light to manage to sleep after reading it.
The Treeman
Jul 10, 2014 The Treeman rated it really liked it
One of my favorites but like any of the rest of the books in the series it had some minor issues that I had difficulty dealing with. I disliked that I had to run around in the basement and get killed all the time just because I haven't found one stupid key. I know, it is part of the game but still...
Strangerealms
This book in the serie is a really nice book. It happens in the modern world where you end up against your will in a haunted house. And getting out... alive is a very hard task. I have redone that one a few times because it's really well written and you face horrors after horrors. I've always cheated with these sort of books so I managed to get out of the house. It's quite an adventure!
Angela Oliver
Jun 29, 2015 Angela Oliver rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Despite being more horror than fantasy, this was one of my favourite of the series. I have always loved the idea of immense haunted houses filled with strange worshippers. Indeed, I was even intending to run a roleplaying game based on it (tabletop) and started mapping it - and I shall have to say - this house is massive!

Definitely on the "must re-read" list!
Steveo
Jul 21, 2014 Steveo rated it it was amazing
My favorite Fighting Fantasy Book, by Steve Jackson. Now this story lead me to a room which I will NEVER forget. I was so young at the time. The room was pitch black. A floating head appeared and flew into me knocking me over... It repeated again and again until I told my mother I was having a nightmare haha Great story, and one of the creepiest from the series! Read many times.
Baluka
Mar 14, 2015 Baluka rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-great-books
Firstly, this is my first choose your own adventure book. I know some people I "play" this with get really angry about how they "die", but if you just treat it like a comedy it is quite amusing. I loved this book, and I'll definitely be reading some others fairly soon.
Rita
Mais um dos poucos livros da colecção que consegui ter na minha "infância". Não me consigo recordar se li algum bocado desta aventura nessa altura, mas é certo que quando o li há relativamente pouco tempo o adorei.
Déborah Muñoz
Renuncio. Me gustan los librojuegos con un poco de complejidad, pero este se pasa de complejo, hay demasiadas cosas que recordad, no paro de dar vueltas... y no tengo paciencia...
Analuabc
Dec 05, 2014 Analuabc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um dos mais complicados de ultrapassar!
Sem falar que era dos mais assustadores pois estavamos maioritariamente desarmados. A sensação de terror e de possiblidade de errar era muito maior.
Icedlake
May 02, 2013 Icedlake rated it really liked it
Shelves: gamebooks
One of the best gamebooks ever. Do you think true paths are really annoying? Don't take it for granted, cause searching high and low for the right path sometimes could be satisfying.
R.M.F Brown
Oct 11, 2012 R.M.F Brown rated it really liked it
A welcome trip down memory lane. As far as I know, this is the only book in the series to be set in the 'real' world, and it's difficult to boot! Keep a map and watch out for the hunchback!
Yurano
Feb 12, 2015 Yurano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe ein Buch bei BookCrossing.com registriert!
Dave Clipson
Dave Clipson rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Killgazmotron
Killgazmotron rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Gianfranco Mancini
Gianfranco Mancini rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Neal Patel
Neal Patel rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Teele Kesküla
Teele Kesküla rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Bob Von gruenigen
Bob Von gruenigen rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Jorah Yu
Jorah Yu rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Chris
Nov 05, 2013 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it was boring at some points but exiting at other overall 1-10 I'd give it a 3 . (aka it sucked)
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #24)
  • Demons of the Deep (Fighting Fantasy, #19)
  • Sword of the Samurai (Fighting Fantasy, Reissues 1, #25)
  • Seas of Blood (Fighting Fantasy, #16)
  • Rebel Planet (Fighting Fantasy, #18)
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)
  • Flight from the Dark (Lone Wolf, #1)

British game designer, often confused with the American game designer of the same name.

Along with Ian Livingstone, creator of the Fighting Fantasy books.

More about Steve Jackson...

Fighting Fantasy (1 - 10 of 60 books)
  • The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #1)
  • The Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #8)
  • Starship Traveller (Fighting Fantasy, Reissues 1, #4)
  • City of Thieves (Fighting Fantasy, #5)
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Island of the Lizard King (Fighting Fantasy, #7)
  • Scorpion Swamp (Fighting Fantasy, #8)
  • Caverns of the Snow Witch (Fighting Fantasy, #9)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #24)