Start by marking “House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10)” as Want to Read:
House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10)

House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy #10)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Stranded miles from anywhere on a dark and stormy night, your only hope of refuge is the strange, ramshackle mansion you can see in the distance... But entering the House of Hell hurls you into an adventure of spine-chilling and blood-curdling terror. The dangers of the torrential storm outside are nothing compared to the nightmarish creatures that await you within its gru ...more
Published November 29th 1984 by Puffin Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about House of Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Hell

City Of Thieves by Ian LivingstoneDeathtrap Dungeon by Ian LivingstoneForest of Doom by Ian LivingstoneThe Warlock of Firetop Mountain by Steve   JacksonThe Shamutanti Hills by Steve   Jackson
Best Fighting Fantasy Books
7th out of 57 books — 29 voters
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneBleak House by Charles DickensLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Houses
188th out of 215 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex
This is an absolutely terrific gamebook, a fiendishly conceptualised puzzle that's made even more fun to play by its beautifully grizzly - albeit utterly cliched - horror setting and nightmare plot ('plat' may be a push), wherein our hapless adventurer finds himself knocking on the door of a mansion for help after a car accident. The owner of the house, an early is, naturally, pretty evil and into devil worship and sacrifice, and it's your job to escape from this madness. You'll meet the usual a ...more
David Sarkies
May 17, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gaming Geeks who like horror (or something different)
Recommended to David by: Ultimately Primary School
Shelves: gamebook
Dean Kootz goes Fighting Fantasy
23 June 2012

When I was a kid I did read this but found that this book was not only quite hard but also of a genre that I was not particularly interested in. Personally I really do not like the horror genre, particularly when the genre involves haunted houses and ghosts. However this is not a typical horror story like Dean Kootz would write, but rather it is a game book using the horror genre as a background.
It appears that the writers of the gamebooks (Steve Jac
Rich Stoehr
Though I read and enjoyed most of the interactive Fighting Fantasy book series when I was but a lad in my teenage years, 'House of Hades' is the one that I remember most, for two reasons.

First, unlike most of the FF books, which were fantasy role-playing (with a few science fiction stories thrown in for good measure), 'House of Hades' was firmly in the horror category, starting with your character showing up at a spooky old house and becoming trapped within its walls to experience the terrors wi
Graham
I loved these FIGHTING FANTASY gamebooks as a kid but HOUSE OF HELL was something slightly different - not a fantasy book but a horror one! Needless to say, at the age of 12, playing this in my darkened bedroom, I was extremely frightened.

I can still remember the adventure unfolding before me. The car accident, the rain, entering the house. The odd butler and the rooms with weird noises coming out of them. The gore and the vampires and the monsters in darkened corners. My heart would beat a litt
Hank Lancet
I may have read all of these books as a kid, but this one was the most memorable. I remember the first time I watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I kept thinking of this book, Lord Kelnor, the Earl of Drumer, entertaining me, his guest of circumstance. I still vividly remember all of the demonic room names as well as how to "win" this book adventure.
Deviki
Embarrassing as it sounds I had trouble winning this book
I lost like 5 times ….yes very embarrassing indeed….but still I had a very good time playing this game !!!
Steveo
My favorite Fighting Fantasy Book, by Steve Jackson. Now this story lead me to a room which I will NEVER forget. I was so young at the time. The room was pitch black. A floating head appeared and flew into me knocking me over... It repeated again and again until I told my mother I was having a nightmare haha Great story, and one of the creepiest from the series! Read many times.
Baluka
Firstly, this is my first choose your own adventure book. I know some people I "play" this with get really angry about how they "die", but if you just treat it like a comedy it is quite amusing. I loved this book, and I'll definitely be reading some others fairly soon.
Analuabc
Um dos mais complicados de ultrapassar!
Sem falar que era dos mais assustadores pois estavamos maioritariamente desarmados. A sensação de terror e de possiblidade de errar era muito maior.
Kate Holford
Such a good book that keeps you on your toes x
Darian
As gamebooks go, this is very badly written.

There are instances where, even after going through the hassle of winning a combat or rolling the dice favourably, you are told in the next section that you die anyway. The story is hardly credible as well. I'm searching some shelves and I turn up a bottle containing an unidentified liquid or something; the book asks me if I want to drink it...who in their right mind does that? Sheesh. After dying several times, I just gave up because it was too ridicu
Royee Chan
AWESOME
Strangerealms
This book in the serie is a really nice book. It happens in the modern world where you end up against your will in a haunted house. And getting out... alive is a very hard task. I have redone that one a few times because it's really well written and you face horrors after horrors. I've always cheated with these sort of books so I managed to get out of the house. It's quite an adventure!
Angela Oliver
Despite being more horror than fantasy, this was one of my favourite of the series. I have always loved the idea of immense haunted houses filled with strange worshippers. Indeed, I was even intending to run a roleplaying game based on it (tabletop) and started mapping it - and I shall have to say - this house is massive!

Definitely on the "must re-read" list!
Lady Entropy
This was a very VERY well written and well concept-ed book. So well that when I read it in my tween years, it gave me nightmares, and I wound up giving the book away as I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Maybe now I'll find it trite and even cliché, but I remember having to turn on the light to manage to sleep after reading it.
The Treeman
One of my favorites but like any of the rest of the books in the series it had some minor issues that I had difficulty dealing with. I disliked that I had to run around in the basement and get killed all the time just because I haven't found one stupid key. I know, it is part of the game but still...
Rita
Mais um dos poucos livros da colecção que consegui ter na minha "infância". Não me consigo recordar se li algum bocado desta aventura nessa altura, mas é certo que quando o li há relativamente pouco tempo o adorei.
R.M.F Brown
A welcome trip down memory lane. As far as I know, this is the only book in the series to be set in the 'real' world, and it's difficult to boot! Keep a map and watch out for the hunchback!
Icedlake
One of the best gamebooks ever. Do you think true paths are really annoying? Don't take it for granted, cause searching high and low for the right path sometimes could be satisfying.
Chris
it was boring at some points but exiting at other overall 1-10 I'd give it a 3 . (aka it sucked)
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
andi li
andi li marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Lewis
Lewis added it
Apr 15, 2015
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)
  • Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)

British game designer, often confused with the American game designer of the same name.

Along with Ian Livingstone, creator of the Fighting Fantasy books.

More about Steve Jackson...

Fighting Fantasy (1 - 10 of 60 books)
  • The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy, #1)
  • The Citadel Of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy, #3)
  • Starship Traveller (Fighting Fantasy, #4)
  • City Of Thieves (Fighting Fantasy, #5)
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Island of the Lizard King (Fighting Fantasy, #7)
  • Scorpion Swamp (Fighting Fantasy, #8)
  • Caverns of the Snow Witch (Fighting Fantasy, #9)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy, #11)
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy, #1) The Citadel Of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2) The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1) Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #2) The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)