Nocover-blank-133x176
The Chinaman

Stephen Leather

The Chinaman

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Chinaman understood death.

Jungle-skilled, silent and lethal, he had killed for the Viet Cong and then for the Americans. He had watched helpless when his two eldest daughters had been raped and killed by Thai pirates.
Now all that was behind him. Quiet, hard-working and unassuming, he was building up his South London take-away business.
Until the day his wife and younges...more
Published by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1992)

Tom Tischler
In Vietnam Nguyen Ngoc Minh was a Vietnemase killer but he
switched sides and went with the US and he became a ruthless
hunter of his former comrades. At the end of the war the North
was overtaking the South and Nguyen had to get out with his
family. He made it to the American Embassy with passes to go
but the last copter was leaving and they could not get there in
time.He spent three years in a prison camp before he
escsped andfound his family. They made arrangements to get out
but one of his daughte...more
C.M.J. Wallace
An IRA bomb kills Nguyen Ngoc Minh’s wife and daughter. Time after time the unassuming businessman asks the police how the case involving his family is progressing, and time after time he is shunted aside or ignored, all his questions remaining unanswered. Finally realizing that the establishment will offer no help, he decides to take on the killers himself.

Unbeknownst to the authorities, Nguyen is perfectly capable of doing so: He is an explosives expert trained by the North Vietnamese and is s...more
Neil Morgan
A very good read. Pact plot and some edge of the seat action. Well written with a reasonably intricate plot that does not answer all of the questions that you may have but not all questions need to be answered. Recommended for any thriller fans.
Ben

I was loaned this by a friend and I'll be honest, if I'd seen the book in a shop I'd have taken a quick look and moved on as at first glance it's nothing special.
It's actually quite an enjoyable if somewhat violent story but well written for what it is.

The Chinamen (actually Vietnamese) is not someone you would want to annoy!
They say it's the quiet ones you need to watch out for and boy are they right!
Dan
Contains spoilers
This book was excellently narrated (although it could be a bit too fast for non mother tongue listeners) by Russell Boulter who, as well as a good narration, was able to offer great emotions and anger in the characters throughout the story. The plot seemed quite bizarre but I have to give Stephen credit for his thorough research: this reads like a guide to bombmaking and tracking!

I was disappointed that Wood's character was killed off (although necessary to make the story even m...more
Emma
Wanted to give it more stars, but...
I enjoyed the book, it flows easily and is well written. My issue? The ending. It all ends rather quickly and the main character becomes an after thought.
Mary
Interesting mix of Viet and IRA guerilla/terrorist methods and the influence of Libya on the IRA. Learned some things about bomb making. Good story.
John
I loved it... blood, guts and vengence.... fantastic!
sani
This is better than Rambo :)
Bob
Nov 22, 2011 Bob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Very *** 1/2 good read for fans of action thrillers. For some reason, Leather's popularity hasn't spread to this side of the pond from England and it's hard to see why. Fortunately, most are now available for Kindle.

The plot is pretty well described here already. His action scenes are excellent, but the book is slow to start, largely because he fills out a host of characters perhaps a bit too fully, although most figure in well at the end. I also disliked the formatting, which has no chapters a...more
Saint No Stopping Us

Four out of ten.

An ex-Viet Cong veteran, was living the quiet life in South London until the day his wife and youngest daughter were destroyed by an IRA bomb in a Knightsbridge department store.

Then, simply but persistently, he began to ask the authorities who were the men responsible, what was being done. And was turned away, fobbed off, treated as a nuisance.

Which was when the Chinaman, denied justice, decided on revenge. And went back to war.

Pat
Apr 20, 2013 Pat rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Pat by: Weston liked the author
Shelves: mystery
IRA terrorists in the 1990's bomb London and kill the wife and daughter of a Vietnamese immigrant. He sets out for revenge. In contrast to the author's many fans, I thought the plot was predictable and boring. Just not my cup of tea.
Ian T
Lent to me again by my neighbour. A great book if now after 230 years a bit politically dated. I don't think the IRA or the government would like this now although at the time of release would have been really current.
James
An entertaining read.
Some of the characters are not credible, but Stephen's dilemma must be that we wouldn't read his books if the characters were dull.
Marize De Klerk
one of my Favourite Stephen Leather books! The first one I've read of Stephen Leather but worth the while
Suresh Vijendran
A fast paced book. I had read it some 10 years back, and again found this book, and enjoyed it again.
Tom Latham
Crazy Vietnamese veteran tries to get revenge on the IRA.
Zakalwe
Zakalwe marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell...more
More about Stephen Leather...
Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1) Nightfall (Jack Nightingale, #1) The Basement Midnight (Jack Nightingale, #2) Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2)