Start by marking “The Bombmaker” as Want to Read:
The Bombmaker

The Bombmaker

Andrea Hayes was one of the IRA’s deadliest killers—until a misplaced bomb ripped into a group of passing children. Now, years later, she has a whole new life and a family, and her days of violence seem a distant memory. But then her daughter is kidnapped by persons unknown, and she’s blackmailed into building a massive explosive device for them—target unknown.
Published January 1st 1999 by Hodder

To ask other readers questions about The Bombmaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bombmaker

Eric_W
Jun 09, 2013 Eric_W rated it really liked it
Every parent's nightmare. A child is kidnapped and held under threat of death to force the parent to do something that may result in the deaths of hundreds of people.

Andy is a former IRA bomb-maker. Retired from the IRA after a bomb accidentally kills some children who were not the targets, she has another secret that we only learn mid-way through the book, but which has profound implications for everyone's actions. Martin, her husband, knows nothing of her past. Katie, their daughter, has been
Karen
Apr 10, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
a good amount of detail in this book to keep you reading.
would happily read all books by this author. enjoyable.
Lee
Mar 23, 2011 Lee rated it it was amazing
Ex IRA bombmaker is forced into making a huge bomb by the kidnapping of her daughter. Really well written with well fleshed out characters and a good sense of pacing.
Catherine
Aug 08, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it
another good book by stephen leather.
Simon Moore
Aug 25, 2010 Simon Moore rated it it was amazing
Gripping book that I could not put down. I will read this book again in the future.
Nigel
Oct 02, 2016 Nigel rated it liked it
An initially lumbering thriller lacking in tension until it gets more interesting from the half way point. It gets progressively more gripping though the climax is again a bit of a let-down. A workmanlike effort but hardly memorable.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Quote from author:
""One thing I have never been able to understand is why an organisation like the National Black Police Association is allowed to exist. It is by its very nature racist - hoping to promote the interests of a group solely on the basis of the colour of its members. A police officer can lose his job if he is found to be a member of the British National Party, which in the past excluded non-whites. But the NPBA, which is solely for non-white police officers, is allowed to operate w
Karen
Feb 15, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
I suspect I should have read this in 1999. Ultimately a readable enough book, which, being a thriller required a willing suspension of disbelief. Whilst willing, the suspension bit got wider, higher and somewhat shakier as I went on. Partially I think the problem was one of believability of the main premise. I'm not Pollyanna, I'm well aware that everyone has a few things tucked away in the past that they'd rather their partner didn't find out about... but seriously ... the proverbial hits the o ...more
Jamie
May 06, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
A mother is faced with her past as her seven year-old daughter is kidnapped from their home. Andrea Hayes is forced to use her skills as a bomb maker to keep her daughter alive. No one knows where her daughter is, but the police are suspicious as the school Secretary Miss Mara has complained to the Headmistress. Suspicion falls on Martin, the father and husband, but Martin has bigger problems. People are watching him and he wants to get his wife and daughter back. Martin doesn't know what to do ...more
Sam Arnold
Feb 18, 2013 Sam Arnold rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I have read a Stephen Leather book and I now wonder what took me so long to return to this author. The Bombmaker is classic Leather with his mix of fast paced action and engaging characters. Traditionally twist and turns are evident and the book is a real page turner. Another excellent read, I wouldn't leave it so long between Stephen Leather books next time.
Amy Fitzjohn
Jan 08, 2016 Amy Fitzjohn rated it liked it
I usually really like Stephen Leather's books, he's one of my favourite authors. This isn't one of the better ones. I never connected with any of the characters and the story was pretty 2 dimensional. Nevertheless I did finish it, which itself is worthy of note as I give up quickly on books that aren't satisfying.
Angel Born
May 26, 2013 Angel Born rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reader-digest
The bombmaker is the first novel which i started reading reader digest condense books.I am say physics kinda girl i really enjoys bombs and nuclear power and decision and action ooh action is with brains...
Kim Moravec
Jan 06, 2015 Kim Moravec rated it it was ok
Wooden melodrama from the parents of a kidnapped child at the beginning, dated terrorist tactics in the middle, gratuitous rape scene at the end, probably one to skip if you want to read more of this author. Nightfall is much better.
Rhona Crawford
May 09, 2016 Rhona Crawford rated it really liked it
Engaging and gripping right to the end. Thankfully, not a book in a series! Read too many of those lately ... The characters in this book were all beautifully drawn and fully rounded - even the villains were people, no matter how much you disliked them. I will definitely read Leather again!
Chris Amies
May 15, 2010 Chris Amies rated it liked it
Read this just after 'The Juror' by George Dawes Green. Both involve kidnapped children and ruthless killers but I found this less involving. Kept me reading it though, even if I wasn't sure about the rationale behind the plot.
Shira
Apr 28, 2011 Shira rated it really liked it
Shelves: steak
C'mon...a female bombmaker. What else do you need to know? Stephen Leather writes really awesome, not just arm candy, females. For this, we should get down on the ground and thank the trashy novel gods.
Anandh Sundar
Jul 11, 2011 Anandh Sundar rated it it was ok
The plot is quite hackneyed and proceeds slowly.one can almost predict the ending. Some emotional twists in between salvage the book, but otherwise not one of his better books.
Neville
Jul 29, 2016 Neville rated it liked it
A mother is taken hostage as well as her daughter. The daughter is used to make the mother build a bomb. It is to be used to cause havoc and has an unusual motive.
Ian T
Oct 15, 2012 Ian T rated it really liked it
Again lent to me by my neighbour. A great book. Like thew Chinaman, slightly politically dated. And, a bit too much detail given on how to make bombs. A great read.
Sambasivan
Dec 22, 2015 Sambasivan rated it really liked it
The blurb says that the author is in the same class as Forsyth and I agree. The pace of the story is relentless and the credible plot adds further zing to it. Well done.
Justin Heskamp
Justin Heskamp rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Sognatore
Sognatore rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Janey Rosen
May 30, 2013 Janey Rosen rated it it was amazing
Read last summer - forgot to review! This book definitely gripped me. I couldn't put it down.
P F
P F rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Kiwidude
Kiwidude rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Liezel Freitag
Liezel Freitag rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Julia Macdonald
Julia Macdonald rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Ray Sale
Ray Sale rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
  • The Journey Begins
  • Children of the Flower Power
  • The Colour of Hope
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • Greed (Matt Browning, #1)
  • Contact Zero
  • Zwellend fruit: roman in sprookjes
  • Fade
  • Toll For The Brave
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Professional Excel Development: The Definitive Guide to Developing Applications Using Microsoft Excel and VBA
  • The Hostage (Stratton, #1)
  • Fifty Shades Shadier
  • Bangkok Noir
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more
More about Stephen Leather...