Start by marking “The Bombmaker” as Want to Read:
The Bombmaker

The Bombmaker

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Andrea Hayes was one of the IRA’s deadliest killers—until a misplaced bomb ripped into a group of passing children. Now, years later, she has a whole new life and a family, and her days of violence seem a distant memory. But then her daughter is kidnapped by persons unknown, and she’s blackmailed into building a massive explosive device for them—target unknown.
Published February 1st 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Bombmaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bombmaker

Eric_W
Every parent's nightmare. A child is kidnapped and held under threat of death to force the parent to do something that may result in the deaths of hundreds of people.

Andy is a former IRA bomb-maker. Retired from the IRA after a bomb accidentally kills some children who were not the targets, she has another secret that we only learn mid-way through the book, but which has profound implications for everyone's actions. Martin, her husband, knows nothing of her past. Katie, their daughter, has been...more
Lee
Ex IRA bombmaker is forced into making a huge bomb by the kidnapping of her daughter. Really well written with well fleshed out characters and a good sense of pacing.
Karen
a good amount of detail in this book to keep you reading.
would happily read all books by this author. enjoyable.
Simon Moore
Gripping book that I could not put down. I will read this book again in the future.
Catherine
another good book by stephen leather.
Karen
I suspect I should have read this in 1999. Ultimately a readable enough book, which, being a thriller required a willing suspension of disbelief. Whilst willing, the suspension bit got wider, higher and somewhat shakier as I went on. Partially I think the problem was one of believability of the main premise. I'm not Pollyanna, I'm well aware that everyone has a few things tucked away in the past that they'd rather their partner didn't find out about... but seriously ... the proverbial hits the o...more
Kelly Maybedog
Quote from author:
""One thing I have never been able to understand is why an organisation like the National Black Police Association is allowed to exist. It is by its very nature racist - hoping to promote the interests of a group solely on the basis of the colour of its members. A police officer can lose his job if he is found to be a member of the British National Party, which in the past excluded non-whites. But the NPBA, which is solely for non-white police officers, is allowed to operate w...more
Jamie
A mother is faced with her past as her seven year-old daughter is kidnapped from their home. Andrea Hayes is forced to use her skills as a bomb maker to keep her daughter alive. No one knows where her daughter is, but the police are suspicious as the school Secretary Miss Mara has complained to the Headmistress. Suspicion falls on Martin, the father and husband, but Martin has bigger problems. People are watching him and he wants to get his wife and daughter back. Martin doesn't know what to do...more
Kim Moravec
Wooden melodrama from the parents of a kidnapped child at the beginning, dated terrorist tactics in the middle, gratuitous rape scene at the end, probably one to skip if you want to read more of this author. Nightfall is much better.
Neville
A mother is taken hostage as well as her daughter. The daughter is used to make the mother build a bomb. It is to be used to cause havoc and has an unusual motive.
Debbie
Fantastic page turner
Sam Arnold
It has been a while since I have read a Stephen Leather book and I now wonder what took me so long to return to this author. The Bombmaker is classic Leather with his mix of fast paced action and engaging characters. Traditionally twist and turns are evident and the book is a real page turner. Another excellent read, I wouldn't leave it so long between Stephen Leather books next time.
Chris Amies
Read this just after 'The Juror' by George Dawes Green. Both involve kidnapped children and ruthless killers but I found this less involving. Kept me reading it though, even if I wasn't sure about the rationale behind the plot.
Angel Born
The bombmaker is the first novel which i started reading reader digest condense books.I am say physics kinda girl i really enjoys bombs and nuclear power and decision and action ooh action is with brains...
Shira
Apr 28, 2011 Shira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: steak
C'mon...a female bombmaker. What else do you need to know? Stephen Leather writes really awesome, not just arm candy, females. For this, we should get down on the ground and thank the trashy novel gods.
Anandh Sundar
The plot is quite hackneyed and proceeds slowly.one can almost predict the ending. Some emotional twists in between salvage the book, but otherwise not one of his better books.
Ian T
Again lent to me by my neighbour. A great book. Like thew Chinaman, slightly politically dated. And, a bit too much detail given on how to make bombs. A great read.
Ellen
In true Stephen Leather fashion, another thrilling story with a terrific ending. Not to be missed!
Janey Rosen
Read last summer - forgot to review! This book definitely gripped me. I couldn't put it down.
David
Feb 20, 2012 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
loved the tense atmosphere, right to last page. Exellent story
Marian
An easy ready, clever plot, great heroine
Marize De Klerk
Enjoyed reading this book- page turner
Linda Hall
Oh my! What a great thriller!
Natalie Gaunt
Natalie Gaunt marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Aimpoint
Aimpoint is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Roger
Roger added it
Sep 21, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Stephen Raymond
Stephen Raymond marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Barry Eckersley
Barry Eckersley marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
  • Children of the Flower Power
  • Fade
  • Greed (Matt Browning, #1)
  • Flint
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • Pay The Devil
  • The Game (Victor the Assassin, #3)
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • The Graft
  • She's Not There
  • Harry's Game
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell...more
More about Stephen Leather...
Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1) Nightfall (Jack Nightingale, #1) The Basement Midnight (Jack Nightingale, #2) Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2)