Start by marking “Sobre la amistad (Ética a Nicómaco)” as Want to Read:
Sobre la amistad (Ética a Nicómaco)

Sobre la amistad (Ética a Nicómaco)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,891 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published July 2006 by Folio (first published December 31st 1925)

To ask other readers questions about Sobre la amistad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sobre la amistad

Russ Painter
I think society would have progressed much faster if it weren't for guys like Aristotle being looked up to as much. He was extremely arrogant, and was obviously very good at expressing his ideas. Too bad his ideas weren't always backed by scientific reasoning, and should have been challenged.

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and bitch-slap him.
Lamar Latrell
Seriously not my favorite.
a) What a horrible translation. Yes, it's probably partially due to the age, but it was also just not a very good translation. A lot of the syntax was just awkward. And I say that as someone who reads these older books frequently. The introduction was honestly better than the text, if only because it explained all of the salient points and wasn't bogged down by a troublesome translation.
b) So much filler and fluff. Oh my gosh. The endless explanations of the types of be
Alex
Nov 03, 2012 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Level up! +1 Intelligence. +1 Literacy.

first, I have to admit that I read "selections from Aristotle's Ethics", not the whole thing.... but it was enough.

Okay, but I am a smarter, better, more well-rounded person for reading this. I'm not a fan of philosophy so much, but I'm a fan of knowledge, and the best minds in history have all read their aristotle, so I figured I needed to as well.

That being said, it was a slog. not my favorite type of reading, but I'm better for it.

There was some good con
Adrian Buck
Jan 26, 2013 Adrian Buck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phil-soc
"One lesson of our age is that barbarism persists under the surface, and that the virtues of a civilised life are less deeply rooted than used to be supposed. The world is not too richly endowed with examples of perseverence and subtlety in analysis, of moderation and sanity in the study of human affairs. It will be a great loss if the thinker who, above all others, displays these qualities, is ever totally forgotten" Philosophy of Aristotle, D.J. Allan (1952)
Thomas
Mar 01, 2016 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book and I give it four stars. I would have given it five if not for the translation. I've read a much better and never translation in Danish by Søren Porsborg that better captures the language of Aristotle. And I've read it in its original Ancient Greek. However, this version has an introduction by Jonathan Barnes, who is an important scholar when it comes to Aristotle, and he gives a good overview of the Ethics.

I think that the questions of ethics and morals in The Nichomachean
Brandt
Jul 14, 2014 Brandt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I am painfully aware that, for whatever reason, people seem to rate this book as a “must read” or “Five Stars”. I just don't see that. Since we are talking about books and reviewing books, then let's talk about the information as a book. Almost everything within this collection sayings is brutalized by translation. I want to make this specific point clear, above all else, the information in the book is important; not just historically, but practically. I can see the information being presen ...more
Dave
May 10, 2016 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating is more for my understanding than the content of the book itself. With philosophy as well as a lot of literature, I know I'm going to not understand much, but I fling myself head first into work like this anyway, so hopefully I can learn something, and that every time I do this I become a little smarter.

What I was able to grasp was that the way to happiness is in living in moderation. What this means is that a happy person contains what are known as virtues. Each virtue has two extreme
jim
Oct 08, 2007 jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard not to make this a "5" but equally hard to do so since it suggests understanding the meaning of the text. Went back to this book looking for conceptual help understanding how practical judgment works. Aristotle helps with such architectural problems.
Jeff Boettcher
Jun 10, 2012 Jeff Boettcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do you rate the book which has been a foundation for much of philosophical thought ever since it was written?
Lewis Rimá
Nov 10, 2013 Lewis Rimá rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Gran libro. Muero por leer completa su "Ética Nicomaquea".
Bob Nichols
Jul 20, 2009 Bob Nichols rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aristotle takes the reader on a near endless journey of details and classifications that deal with moral and intellectual virtue, pleasure and pain, the doctrine of the mean, friendship and a whole roost of other elements that, collectively, constitute his Ethics. The journey is akin to unravelling a ball of yarn or travelling through an ethical maze where it is so easy to get lost or bored. If patient, the student of Aristotle's Ethics can probably appreciate his many rich observations about hu ...more
Robert
May 04, 2012 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one probably lost a star due to my distaste of sexism, which I think sometimes leads to very obvious holes in Aristotle's approach.

For example, towards the end of the book Aristotle considers the masculine tendency towards not sharing hir pain and suffering with the feminine tendency towards wanting to share it and feel solidarity in a group. In his system he considers the exception of effeminate men, but does not consider that a woman might have the emotional orientation he assigns as masc
Mad Russian the Traveller
There is much to be learned from Aristotle's system of ethics, and I will be re-reading this "book" with a more in-depth analysis of the various useful bits.

My dislike (& thus the lower rating) stems from the fact that in this system of ethics, the ultimate good is not the individual or individual liberty, but what is good for the State. History has shown that the State is not worthy and is in fact diabolical (in the fullest sense of the word).

For a system of ethics more conducive to libert
Reuben
May 02, 2016 Reuben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I agree more with what Aristotle is saying, and appreciate his trying to wean then-ethics from metaphysics towards practicality, I just find his writing more boring and turgid than Plato's (though this could well just be the translation).
Julie Renee
I appreciated that I could finally read this book and find it clear and applicable. The sections on voluntary actions and friends were my favorites, while I did get bogged down on the justice portion. Regardless, I took away a lot from this book. Immediately integrated into my own thinking and behavior!
Abraham
Este libro está compuesto por los tomos VIII y IX de la Ética Nicomaquea. Es interesante porque muchas de las ideas sobre la ética en la amistad y por qué ésta es necesaria de acuerdo a las ideas de Aristóteles sobre la condición humana aún están vigentes, y son de uso común.

Algunos pequeños errores en la traducción que yo creo se vienen arrastrando desde hace muchos años, lo cual creo que es bastante natural, tomando en cuenta que es un texto del siglo IV a.C. y las versiones "modernas" de impr
Frederick
Sep 10, 2012 Frederick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am finishing up several of the books I've been reading over the past year together, at the same general time. This book was very difficult to get through and quite boring. However, it does show that mankind is still facing the same moral and ethical dilemmas he has always faced whether he wears a robe and sandals each day or a business suit and wingtips. No wonder Alexander conquered the world. With a teacher like Aristotle school must have driven him crazy with boredom.
Anthony Daugherty
A great book that everyone should read!
Nate Morse
Apr 17, 2014 Nate Morse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
The language is dense and hard for me to understand. I had to read cliff notes to go with it as well as listening to a podcast that explained the highlights in a little more detail.

Things I liked about Aristotles views:

I like the idea of everything moving towards happiness.
I like the idea of "you are what you repeatedly do" and that morality requires action, rather then just thinking about being good.
Karyn
I am working through year 1 of the Great Conversation reading list. I did not read the entire book, just parts 1 & 2. What I read was so great, though! I really loved it! He talks about goodness and virtue and what they are, how to attain them. I think despite being done with the section I am supposed to read, I would like to finish all of this book!
Rob
Aug 23, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic words and thoughts, required reading!
Leandro Melendez
Muy ameno y entretenido ver la opinión de la amistad, los diferentes tipos, la necesidad de ello, y chistoso como lo refiere a basarse en gente buena y no posible en gente mala.
Por que tenemos amigos?
Andrew Commers
Dec 30, 2007 Andrew Commers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite part of this book and what I come back to read here and there is the portion about the various levels of friendship. What's the highest form of friendship to strive towards?
Calebm
Jan 23, 2014 Calebm is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Like Roepke, solidarism believes that economics cannot be separated from ethics, requires a sound social and cultural context, and there is an appropriate role for state action.
Matt Hall
Jun 10, 2013 Matt Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2,000 years ago, men knew the answer to being a great man to yourself and your fellows. It's not that people don't know how to be quality, it's that people will never want to be.
Frances Coronel
May 06, 2014 Frances Coronel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made me cry once or twice just because of how directly words on the pages would speak to me.

Great read - simply a classic that one ought to pass on to young minds.
Juan Carlos Santillán
La filosofía de Aristóteles sobre la amistad se podría resumir en la frase que más veces repite: "el amigo es otro yo". Frase bella, profunda y cierta.
Katherine Jensen
I would read this in the middle of the night to put me back to sleep. I will admit that philosophy is not a subject that holds my interest.

iBook, own.
Matthew
Nov 11, 2010 Matthew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After getting a fair way through, I realised that Philosophy really isn't for me.
Carlton
Apr 15, 2014 Carlton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect book. I will never really be done reading it.
  • The Memorable Thoughts of Socrates
  • Homer and Classical Philology
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy
  • Essays of Schopenhauer
  • How to Tell a Story and Other Essays
  • An Essay Concerning Humane Understanding, Volume 1MDCXC, Based on the 2nd Edition, Books 1 and 2
  • Critique of Practical Reason (Texts in the History of Philosophy)
  • The Meaning of Truth
  • En defensa de la intolerancia
  • Dream Psychology: Psychoanalysis for Beginners
(Greece: Αριστοτέλης)
(Arabic: أرسطوطاليس)

Aristotle (384–322 B.C.E.) numbers among the greatest philosophers of all time. Judged solely in terms of his philosophical influence, only Plato is his peer: Aristotle's works shaped centuries of philosophy from Late Antiquity through the Renaissance, and even today continue to be studied with keen, non-antiquarian interest. A prodigious researcher and wri
More about Aristotle...

“The wise man does not expose himself needlessly to danger, since there are few things for which he cares sufficiently; but he is willing, in great crises, to give even his life--knowing that under certain conditions it is not worth while to live. He is of a disposition to do men service, though he is ashamed to have a service done to him. To confer a kindness is a mark of superiority; to receive one is a mark of subordination... He does not take part in public displays... He is open in his dislikes and preferences; he talks and acts frankly, because of his contempt for men and things... He is never fired with admiration, since there is nothing great in his eyes. He cannot live in complaisance with others, except it be a friend; complaisance is the characteristic of a slave... He never feels malice, and always forgets and passes over injuries... He is not fond of talking... It is no concern of his that he should be praised, or that others should be blamed. He does not speak evil of others, even of his enemies, unless it be to themselves. His carriage is sedate, his voice deep, his speech measured; he is not given to hurry, for he is concerned about only a few things; he is not prone to vehemence, for he thinks nothing very important. A shrill voice and hasty steps come to a man through care... He bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of his circumstances, like a skillful general who marshals his limited forces with the strategy of war... He is his own best friend, and takes delight in privacy whereas the man of no virtue or ability is his own worst enemy, and is afraid of solitude.” 53 likes
“يتسائل ارسطو:
في أي الحالات يكون المرء أحوج إلى الأصدقاء:أفي الرخاء
!والسعادة أم في الشدة والشقاء؟
وينهي أرسطو إجابته بأن الحاجة اشد إلى الصديق وقت الرخاء لان حضوره يجلب سعادة مزدوجة”
38 likes