Start by marking “Halfway” as Want to Read:
Halfway

Read Book* *Different edition

Halfway (Wizards and Faeries #1)

The world of Halfway is the anti-Harry-Potter: the wizard school is part of a shadowy organization that takes the students by force from their families. And the outside world isn't much better: if you are a wizard, you are looked upon with fear because of what you represent.

In the midst of this, in secret, twins are born: a boy and a girl. They are Halfway, the rare offspr
Nook, 192 pages
Published August 3rd 2011 by Silver Glass Press (first published June 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Halfway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halfway

London
May 18, 2012 London rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book two stars because I was disappointed. It had a very good idea, and kept me interested. But I feel it was poorly written. It seemed more of a rough draft, it was rushed, and sketchy. It was a VERY quick read. I read it in two nights, reading for an hour or two each.
I would recommend it if you are bored and want some short to read. Like I said, it kept me interested, and so I don't regret reading it. Not sure if I will read the second book though.
Dianne
Jun 28, 2013 Dianne rated it really liked it
This was a good start to a new series about wizards, fae and magic. A short, fast read with two strong main characters, twins separated when they were young. The story is split between the two of them during a 10 year period before they found each other. Well-told.
Neysa (Papier Revue)
Mar 21, 2013 Neysa (Papier Revue) rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-owned
[FOR MORE REVIEW, CHECK OUT : http://mnkbooklife.blogspot.com/]

[A paperback copy was provided by the author for review purpose. Thanks Stephanie!]

"Where do we belong, Temet? Where do you belong when you grow up alone and broken?"
—Cemagna

The first thing that drew me to Halfway was its cover. I loved that swirling white text, and I love the simple yet haunting feeling it gave out.
When I saw the cover, I know that this book would be quite nice.
But when I read the blurb of Halfway, I know it going t
Majanka
This review was originally posted on I Heart Reading

As far as self-published books go, Halfway by Stephanie Void is pretty decent. The book is a very short read, and probably only took me about one hour and a half to get through. The writing is aimed at the younger group of young adults, and the story seems fitting for that age range as well. While the writing isn’t spectacular, and the characters aren’t that intriguing or well-developed either, what earned this book a fair share of stars is the
Tahlia Newland
Sep 29, 2012 Tahlia Newland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Halfway is a short novel, presumably the first in a series, about magical Twins. They are half fairy, which is a rare and potent mix. They live with their fairy mother on a remote isthmus, seeing no one as they grow up. A few days after the boy’s talents manifest, a ship appears and the boy is abducted and taken to a school for wizards. His sister and mother’s attempts to reach him, manifest the girl’s talents but fails to rescue the boy and ends in tragedy.

Ten years later, the girl finds a way
Karen
Jul 30, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I really enjoyed Halfway. It was quite a short book and only took me two evenings to read. If you’ve read Running From Secrets by the same author, you will have come across one of the main characters in Halfway before – Cemagna. Saying that, Halfway is it’s own story so you do not have to read Running From Secrets first.

From the synopsis you’ll already know that Cemagna and her twin brother Temet grew up in hiding, and this is their story. The chapters were split between each of the protagonists
Larissa
3.5 STARS: A very enjoyable read, I recommend you check it out.

Halfway was a very quick exciting read. Cemagna and Temet’s world is one of Wizards and Fairies, but there are many questions about the world that remain to be answered. The story alternates between the two lead characters’ perspectives, both of whom are very likable and intriguing. Temet struggling to cope with the idea of living with the people who kidnapped him, and Cemagna leaving behind all she ever knew to find a brother who m
Book Chatter-Cath
Jan 26, 2012 Book Chatter-Cath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The magic and world building in Halfway is different from other books I have read and makes for a very refreshing read, and the characters are like-able and entertaining.
The story moves quite quickly, but I really enjoyed its pace and the ever changing surroundings with interesting and quirky characters along the way.
There are lots of unanswered questions, and family secrets yet to be revealed in this riveting tale of magic and wonder, mystery and intrigue.
Halfway has definitely kept me on my to
Jaime
Dec 28, 2013 Jaime rated it liked it
This book proclaimed itself to be the anti Harry Potter. Now other than the fact there is a school for magical folk this was nothing like Harry Potter at all. One of the main character is half human, half fairy and is kidnapped away to magic school, where he spends all of 3 minutes of the book there. 10 years is just thrown out of the window from both characters story lines., leading to a lack of character development. The ending of the story was just as hurried.
I really wanted to love this book
Maya
Aug 05, 2016 Maya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this one. The premise sounds promising, and anything that has Harry Potter in the synopsis catches my eye. This was just not good. Not at all.

The plot was WAY too rushed and not really that well thought out. Honestly, the plot that was in this book alone could have lasted at least two longer books. Or at least one longer book. We weren't in the character's head for a long enough period of time for me to want to connect with them, much less actually care for them. By the e
Mars
Jun 30, 2012 Mars rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's... not bad. 3 stars sounds about right.

Pretty amateurish, but crisp and entertaining.

Except for the battle scene, once you get past the first dozen pages or so the writing solidifies somewhat and becomes quite decent. Mostly.

On the downsides: written for *very* young adults, lacks elements of common sense (e.g. a merchant praising something he's about to buy), the only battle scene in the book is really very, very bad (it's unclear what's happening, it's repetitive, and just not very entert
Rachel
Jul 21, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: enjoyment, giveaways
I received my copy of Halfway through the goodreads giveaway. Thank you!

Like others have written, this book was a quick and interesting read. The story was fast paced and kept me entertained through the whole book. The characters were cute and easily likeable. I would have liked the book to be more descriptive about the world and the people of the story but it was an enjoyable story.

I definitely will look forward to reading the second book to the series.
Miranda
Feb 22, 2014 Miranda rated it liked it
This book has a very interesting premise and the overall story is very strong. However, the writing level doesn't quite hold up to everything else. It still has a "work in progress" feel to it. The two main characters are developed well enough, but the supporting cast not so much. I did enjoy the way the story goes back and forth between the two main characters; that worked rather well.
I got this book for free from onehundredfreebooks.com
Kim
Jul 23, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok
This was a free download from amazon and I'm thankful I didn't spend money on it. The premise of the book was promising but the execution was spotty at best. There were multiple grammar issues through out the book along with sentences that had missing words and simply didn't make sense. The characters were not properly developed and I found myself not really caring what happened to them.
Rebekah
Jul 18, 2013 Rebekah rated it it was ok
'Halfway' has an interesting, original premise set in a unique world. Unfortunately, the dialogue was stilted, the characters were one-dimensional, and the story's progression was choppy and didn't often make sense. This could have used some serious rewriting and editing to allow the story to shine.
Stevie
Nov 29, 2013 Stevie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own, kindle
3.5 stars really. I really enjoyed the story, only it felt a bit rushed to me. The only reason, though, why I didn't give 4 stars is this: While Cemagna's chapters are told from her POV, Temet's chapters use the third person narrative. It bugged me, to be hhonest and disturbed the flow. But that's my personal opinion. I'd like to read more though and will, once my TBR list is down :-)
BlackfishGirl
Jan 31, 2016 BlackfishGirl rated it it was ok
Could not wait to finish this and move onto something more worthwhile.

The idea had a lot of promise which is why I downloaded it (thankfully for free) the execution though is terrible, it's extremely rushed, overly simplistic and not well written. It feels like an outline of a book more than an actual book. Not going to bother looking up the sequels.
Tamara!
Jul 14, 2013 Tamara! rated it liked it
Interesting adventure, found it quite fun over all. It jumped about quite a bit, things felt a bit rushed and disconnected, but I'm looking forward to more of Temet and Cemagna in Wanderer's Shadow as well as the upcoming 3rd book. There's some potential here and I think it's worth following.
Show
Jul 16, 2013 Show rated it it was ok
Interesting idea, but lacked descriptions and well rounded characters. Felt very rushed and the characters were very simple.

But I liked the basis of the book, and the world it was in. Just needs to add to the depth of the characters, dialog and situations.

Nice fast read, and was free.
Elizabeth
Jul 03, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I thought it was an awesome concept and the characters showed great promise. .but the book lacked depth. it moved to fast . you didn't really have time to process what was happening.I think it needed more character development but was a nice read
Gita Sturtevant
Jan 01, 2015 Gita Sturtevant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Don't miss this precious novel of sibling loyalty love and great deep love for all. Thank you amazon for the pleasure
Scarlett Rose
I couldn't really get into this story. I liked some of the elements, but I just didn't get caught up with the whole thing although I finished reading it.
Laura Campbell
Sep 15, 2013 Laura Campbell rated it really liked it
Shelves: aug12-sept13
Quite liked this one
Lisa
Jul 31, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
Perfectly good for a light quick read. Although someone really needs to edit the book. There are too many obvious typos.
Patricia Kaniasty
Feb 03, 2016 Patricia Kaniasty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring, boring, boring.
Eleen
Jun 28, 2013 Eleen rated it really liked it
A quick, diverting read. I plan to read the next two books in the trilogy.
Paul Ross
Jan 16, 2014 Paul Ross rated it really liked it
really good for a first part enough in it that you know will be developed further in the sequel
Michelle
Apr 08, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok
Didn't really care for this book. It was rushed and felt incomplete.
Andrea Mccrae
Would be interested in reading further.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Super Nobody (Alphas and Omegas)
  • Faith Creation, All Lies Revealed
  • Beyond (Beyond #1)
  • The Biomass Revolution (The Tisaian Chronicles #1)
  • The Bagman (The Abigail Cobble Trilogy, #1)
  • Marcella, vampire mage (Royal Blood Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Witch-Hunt (Lodestone, #1)
  • Humanity's Last Chance (The Eden Project, #1)
  • Halloween Magic & Mayhem (Magic & Mayhem, #1)
  • Inquest (Destroyer, #1)
  • Red
  • Spanish Novels: Muerte en Buenos Aires (Spanish Novels for Beginners - A1)
  • Prisoner of Glass
  • Awakening (Valkyrie Diaries, #1)
  • Flying Away (The Flykeeper Chronicles #1)
  • Vanish (Vanish, #1)
  • Changelings & Other Stories
  • True Form (True Form, #1)
I write fantasy and science fiction.

I write fantasy because it keeps us imagining. I write science fiction because it teaches us to dream about the future.

I spent most of my childhood indoors reading, since going outside meant the sun might kill me. Some of my favorite authors are Edgar Rice Burroughs, J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert Jordan, Patrick O'Brian, and Madeleine L'Engle. All this reading made me
More about Stephanie Void...

Wizards and Faeries (2 books)
  • Wanderer's Shadow