Start by marking “Behind Iron Lace (Iron Lace, #1)” as Want to Read:
Behind Iron Lace (Iron Lace, #1)

Behind Iron Lace (Iron Lace #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,400 Ratings  ·  257 Reviews
Hot and steamy in The Big Easy isn't the life Darcy Butler wants. Until he meets a smooth talking bad boy who makes him question his entire belief system.

Darcy Butler is a fish out of water (or in his case a Duck out of Oregon), and he is suffocating in the humid New Orleans' heat. Dissatisfied with his career, his life, he is homesick and heartbroken. But above all Darcy
Published May 6th 2013 by Total-E-Bound (first published May 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Iron Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Iron Lace

Vivian
Nov 04, 2016 Vivian rated it did not like it
DNF 96%

That went from three stars to one in the last fifteen percent of the book. Hell to the no. Ugh. Ick. Wow, just headed down in flames. Brain reset engaged.

And in case you're wondering, it's not a sex thing but the forced Kumbaya (view spoiler)
Vio
My thoughts and feelings about Darcy and Caleb wow what a gorgeous couple they got under my skin and captivated me with their sultry luscious encounters, my heart was all a flutter especially with Caleb's seduction of Darcy. The chemistry between them is so intense and passionate you can feel it, almost touch it, just beautiful. There is some angst and intrigue which complicates their fragile relationship plus a whole lot more to keep it interesting. New Orleans is the perfect backdrop for this ...more
R.J.
Nov 13, 2011 R.J. rated it it was amazing
It's not often I post reviews - I tend to stay away from reviewing... but I do know what I like to read and sometimes a book stays with me after I have read it and this is one of those books. Set for the most part in New Orleans this is a wonderful love story and I highly recommend it. I couldn't put it down (and my Nano has suffered! ROFL).

The blurb implies this is a gay for you book but I don't agree... Despite what the blurb implies, this isn't a book that is about a straight man suddenly tur
Simsala
Nov 10, 2011 Simsala rated it it was ok
A weak plot,an unbelievable GFY - Darcy was never interested in men before and Caleb not for seven years,so what were these guys - gay,bi,straight with a twist...or something new? ...
The prose was so purple - in flashing letters - it hurt my eyes.Overblown,talkative and silly sex-talk that I couldn`t find erotic.As for the sex - no condoms,because "I was careful and I know you were careful so we don`t need them" and worse - no lube!(first time/virgin) "Im so hot for you - natural lubrication!".
Mandapanda
Oct 31, 2011 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.5 stars A hypnotically sensual Gay For You tale set in steamy New Orleans. Darcy runs an e-magazine in NOLA. He's hired a freelance photographer/artist to improve the magazine but when he meets Caleb Mitchell his life is turned upside down.

I loved the first part of this story in which Darcy is seduced by Caleb. Caleb, his Cajun accent and his bad-boy tattoos, would have to be one of the sexiest MC's I've read in a while. I could totally believe Darcy turning gay for him. Their physical attrac
Susan
May 05, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
BR with the wonderful Alissa

DNF at 38%

I was prepared for a big chunk of cheesiness and some bad writing. What I got was even more terrible and I couldn’t continue without pulling my hair. And I want to keep my hair, thank you.

description

Some writers have the ability to make everything flow nicely. Liking riding a wave, just relax and enjoy the ride. Not this writer. Everything felt wrong. My main problem was the conversations. It felt like people just threw words at each other. It was confusing. Often thin
Michelle
Fiona Goodman
Add the sexy hotness of Josh Holloway as Caleb

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

with the charm of Dennis Quaid in the Big Easy.

Photobucket

Plus the reserved smolder of Henry Cavill in the role of Clark Kent as Darcy....

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

preferably reading this book while eating some yummy New Orleans beignets....

Photobucket

and you have Behind Iron Lace.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Mar 02, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-orleans, m-m
If you know me, you know I love New Orleans and any book that takes place there. So, I found it fitting to read this today, it is Fat Tuesday and all...

So, for real, mostly this gets the extra ★ because of all that up there. Aside from that, this was a 3★ read. I mean, who needs conversation? Who needs condoms? Who needs lube? Nobody. Just hot as fuck sex and insta-love with a beautiful HEA. I just wished they had stayed in NOLA...Perfect read for Mardi Gras!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!!
Boyboygirllove
Ahhh...the complete satisfaction of reading a book that hits all of your sweet spots!!

Sexy doesn't even begin to describe the seductive haze the author wove around me with this fantastic gay-for-you novel. I swear I was ready to either hyperventilate or take a cold shower before the second chapter was even over.

Caleb was a force to be reckon with - a sexy, Cajun, living life on the edge. As soon as he sets his eyes on Darcy he goes in to full seduction mode, convinced he sees something in Darcy
Denise H.
Nov 20, 2015 Denise H. rated it it was amazing

*** "Merde", I want someone to talk French/Cajun to me !!
LOL ! Darcy has started his new business in New Orleans, and Caleb answered the need for help with the art layouts. Caleb's rich, talented and wild,

plus he brings out feelings Darcy didn't know he really had, or admitted he had. Wonderful deep characters, hot, wicked, erotic M/M sexiness,

and an adventurous story make this read perfect. These guys are so good together, it's amazing. I loved Caleb running his hand through his hair, and
Valentina Heart
Nov 24, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it it was amazing
This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

Oh yeah, BEHIND IRON LACE totally worked for me. I was actually thinking how I needed a real romance before I started reading it and what do you know, I got lucky and it hit all the right spots. For me this was the perfect combination of sexy, sweet, vulnerable and burning hot.

Darcy is a somewhat nerdy editor of an online magazine who'd moved to New Orleans at the persuasion of his best friend/sometimes lover
Samantha
Jun 24, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Laura
This story is a bit harder for me to rate than usual, as I think I would've liked it more had I read it all in just one or two longer sittings. As it was, time didn't allow for that, so I read it in smaller chunks, and the whirlwind of the story didn't catch me as much as it otherwise would've.

Behind Iron Lace takes place "down the bayou" in New Orleans, where the weather is hot and the accents are even hotter. We meet Darcy, a successful editor of his own magazine, with a distinct distaste for
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Dec 06, 2011 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook
This book didn't take too long to grab my interest, and once it did, I was hooked until the end. Caleb is one super sexy, tattoo'd up, Cajun. I could totally hear his accent(s), and they sucked me in as quickly as they did Darcy. I loved every detail we learned about him and his past and just couldn't seem to get enough of him. Darcy is super sweet, and I really enjoyed watching him find his way.

There were a few "omg, no way!" moments for me, which I loved as well. Bailey is a humongous bitch, a
Don Bradshaw
I love New Orleans and Ms Celeste managed to bring its magic out in this beautiful love story. Both Caleb and Darcy had never really been in love before. I enjoyed the slow simmer to their romance while Darcy was questioning his feelings. Their break up tore my heart out but both guys had a lot of baggage. Naturally there is an HEA ending but it takes a while to get there. Even the angst which I do not like was necessary to this excellent story of love, acceptance and forgiveness.
Jenni Lea
Sep 22, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Ann
Ann, you are completely forgiven.
Nina
Aug 23, 2012 Nina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-adult, gay, 2-star
Darcy is shallow and stubborn – and not in an endearing way. He gives in to Caleb's seduction just a couple of days after they met, just to refuse touching him even in the most casual way in public because he is “unable to even think the word” gay. It's impossible that in twenty-nine years he never, ever felt ever the slightest bit attracted to another man.
Caleb...oh, Caleb. He was a nice character, but his story was far-fetched and in my opinion should have left him way more scarred. The gangst
Ann
Mercy Celeste can really write a dreamy damaged bad boy like nobody's business. There was great chemistry between Caleb and Darcy and the setting made it all the more so.

I liked watching the two MC's work through their own issues so that they could ultimately be together and be happy. I felt like I got to know them both as they did and not just in relation to each other but as individuals. Their personalities were very different, which kept me interested and completely hooked.

Definitely hot and
AliciaJ
what is there to say about Darcy and Caleb? That their love story made my heart ache, that I cried and laughed throughout their story, that I wished it wouldn't end? Yes, I could definitely say all those things. Most of all, I would just say that this one of the best romances I've ever read. Gender was irrelevant. Secondary characters were just a blur. I was so completely and totally focused on the story between these two gorgeous guys that I couldn't think of anything else. Excellent job.
Susan65
May 22, 2012 Susan65 rated it really liked it
Not a huge fan of insta-love, at all, but there was just something awesome about Caleb and Darcy.

Bailey needed to die a slow, horrible death and Chester was an idiot.

Starts off a little slow, gets really good, but then drags a little at the end. But, all in all, a really good story.
SheReadsALot
I read this is one sitting. I just couldn't put it down. I enjoyed the depth to these characters and did not expect it to be a gritty as it became at one point. I also like the ending. I can tell the author loved her main characters.
Meep
Jan 18, 2016 Meep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the characters instantly appealing, their getting together unrealistic but hot. The New Orleans setting added real colour, I loved every 'cher and beb'. And lets all take a moment to appreciate that cover! Nice. (the kindle, one headless torso, image!)

Caleb is hot, protective, charming and brings overly earnest Darcy out of himself. It's very insta-lust with mixed-up feelings along the way, but on page together.. the pages steam.

The story hmm - this is only the second Mary Celeste I've r
Jess Candela
Nov 27, 2011 Jess Candela rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, bingo-challenge
I keep finding myself conflicted when it comes to books by this author! I find her style engaging and engrossing, so much so that my emotional reaction is to love her books. But they don't stand up to any sort of rational scrutiny, and that disappoints me.

I got really confused by mentions of Darcy being offered an "associate professorship" at what I thought was a university. For one thing, he only has a Master's degree, and tenure-track positions at universities are generally only offered to PhD
T.A. Webb
Nov 07, 2011 T.A. Webb rated it it was amazing
Darcy is the editor of an online magazine, newly moved to New Orleans from Oregon. The heat is wilting him, his love life strangling him, and his best gal pal/part time lover is jerking him around. And not in a good way.

Caleb is a recognized artist and photographer, home in the Big Easy to see his mother through her last days. Caleb lives hard, loves hard and gets what he wants.

When he sees Darcy and decided he wants some of that, a little thing like Darcy being straight won't stop him. Will it
Lara
Ok, I loved this book. Absolutely freaking loved it. Everything that Mercy wrote spoke to me and made me feel like I was perfectly at home in this setting. The cover is one of the prettiest I have seen in a long time. And the guys on there match perfectly to the descriptions given in the book. I love it when that happens. I could truly picture these two vividly throughout the entire book. The beginning was tense and perfect. The middle was sexy and perfect. The ending was angsty and sweet and pe ...more
Sammy Goode
Dec 31, 2011 Sammy Goode rated it it was amazing
This was, simply put, a stunning book--an amazing story and I loved it from beginning to end. Behind Iron Lace is the gripping tale of a young slightly burnt out magazine editor, Darcy, who in a moment of passion realizes that everything he thought he knew about himself and his sexuality was a lie. While establishing his online magazine, Darcy seeks to hire Pulitzer prize winning photographer, Caleb Lasseigne, New Orleans bad boy and all around wild child. But hidden beneath Caleb's rough exteri ...more
Nov 02, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
This was a "read-in-one-sitting" kind of book for me, the steamy, lazy heat of a New Orleans afternoon seemed to settle over me and keep me reading, and ignoring RL. Caleb is a naughty bad boy flirt, old enough to know better and jaded enough to have already done it all. Darcy is not so much innocent as inexperienced and unaware. He is at the tail end of a dysfunctional 10-year relationship with a woman he considers his best friend and business partner, but they've never managed to take their re ...more
Audrey
Dec 06, 2011 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: man-love
3.5-4 stars. Very good contemporary m/m story with genuine and sympathetic characters.

The sexytimes were really hottt and well done. Darcy's discovery of himself and his sexuality was pretty engrossing to watch, and so was seeing the hard-living tattooed bad boy Caleb fall hard for preppy seemingly mild-mannered Darcy. Loved Caleb and his Cajun and French dirty talk. Darcy also came as a surprise because he was much more aggressive in pursuing his physical relationship with Caleb than the intro
Karen Wellsbury
May 05, 2015 Karen Wellsbury rated it really liked it
3.5 starts rounded up

To be honest, I#d had this on my kindle for ages, at one stage it must have been free ? And I'd just read an amazing book and to celebrate at the altar of the headless torso seemed 'a good idea'

So my expectations were low. But it turns out, it was a blast !The 2 MC;s Darcy and Caleb are wonderfully charming, Bailey, Darcy's erstwhile bed and still business partner magnificently awful, and Chester..well. I have a weakness for New Orleans, its accents and the food, so Caleb pi
Serena Yates
Nov 02, 2011 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
I really liked this book. Bad Boy meets Nerd, add some suspense via a work-related plot, some jealousy from former lovers/work colleagues and you've got a pretty explosive mix. The setting was great and drawn very realistically, I could feel the New Orleans heat come off the pages. Oh, and the sex was hot, if at times somewhat unrealistic.

Darcy, the nerd, is a little confused about the realities of life and a lot insecure about his sexual preferences and relationships in general. No wonder the '
  • More Than Make-Believe
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • Barging in
  • Stolen Summer
  • Rules of Engagement (Rules of Engagement, #1)
  • Something Different
  • Equation For Love
  • The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1)
  • Laurel Heights (Laurel Heights, #1)
  • Grey's Awakening (Cabin Fever, #2)
  • The Trap
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Bewitched by Bella's Brother
  • Not His Kiss to Take
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • Conquest (Conquest, #1)
  • Rescue Me
  • Fifteen Shades of Gay (For Pay)

Iron Lace (2 books)
  • Lagniappe (Iron Lace, #2)