Start by marking “Broken City (Broken City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken City (Broken City, #1)

Broken City (Broken City #1)

Deeta Richards has never seen the outside world. Before she was born a banking crisis brought civilization to an end and now no one leaves the safety of the compounds unless they need to, but Deeta still dreams of seeing more than the building she was born in.
Tom is in the guard, this group are the only people that the tribal elders allow to leave the compound and Tom kno
Published January 4th 2014 (first published February 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Broken City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken City

D.D. Chant
Sep 13, 2011 D.D. Chant added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A true masterpiece, writes in the style of Charles Dickens with the wit and detail of Jane Austin....Okay, so actually this is my book!!! It's a romantic adventure set after a banking crisis that has brought the world to a standstill. The story's told from the perspective of Deeta the heroine and has an element of mystery to it. Please give it a try!
Jennifer R  Ricketts
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

BROKEN CITY is a dystopian novel unlike any I've read before. Instead of zombies or plagues, a huge financial crisis has hit and decimated society as we knew it. Tribes formed and built compounds to keep their people and resources safe from each other. The Andak tribe is the richest and most feared out of all the tribes.

I felt lukewarm about Deeta. She was meant to be brave and com
Jemma
Apr 12, 2015 Jemma rated it really liked it
‘Broken City’ is certainly worth a read, though I will be the first to say it isn’t perfect. I thought it was a very interesting dystopian style story, in which the world has been upturned by a financial crisis and the survivors have reformed into modern style tribes, some peaceful and others not. However I did feel the post-apocalyptic setting was quite undeveloped, as the central focus is really on the characters and the plot driving it forward. I would have appreciated more of a foundation to ...more
Lacey
Jun 26, 2012 Lacey rated it really liked it
First Thoughts:

I didn’t know what to expect when I first started this book, it was just one of those books where I just picked it up without much background info and dived in. This was definitely unique and beautifully crafted. I really enjoyed the story and the depth the author put into this book. This wasn’t your typical dystopian book, there was an actual society set-up and a more realistic feel to it…It was just really fun to read how their world was and how each person adapted…very well tho
Jun 14, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
(Source: I was given a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to D. D. Chant.)
20-year-old Deeta Richards lives in an apartment block with her parents and sisters, in a time when a financial crisis has resulted death and destruction. Deeta is not classified as strong enough to become a warden, which means that her entire life will be spent within the apartment block, and she will never get to go outside.
Tom, her best friend and upstairs neighbour, lives with Professo
Sheila

D.D. Chant’s post-apocalyptic world is one that remembers six-packs, appreciates the beauty of which poets speak, plays chess, and keeps its Tribe in a tower-block while warriors fight for survival on the streets. Warriors protect, and the weak and helpless, the untouched, are treasured—kept safe or kept prisoner, depending on your point of view. The narrator of D. D. Chant’s Broken City surely wishes she could go outside and see it all. But Tom and her father forbid it.

The novel opens with a ni
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 03, 2012 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
I had absolutely no expectations going into this one. Not because I didn't think it would be good but mainly because other than the synopsis I didn't know a lot about it or the author.

I can say now that I am so glad I took a chance and read this. I truly was completely entertained by it and it kept me turning the pages as I got caught up in the dystopian world that Chant created.

I have really been loving the dystopian genre a lot lately. I think mainly because in some many cases, so many of the
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
I'm just going to cut right to the chase and say I Loved this book!! I honestly did not find one flaw within its pages. The world that D.D. Chant built was so plausible especially considering the current economic climate. One thing I really enjoyed was how the Author set up the "bad guys". I won't give it away but it reminded me of a classic boogeyman scenario and even I had trouble identifying the twist when it came.

This book has no monsters or mutants just real people struggling to survive in
Judy
Jul 15, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
Broken City by D.D. Chant
Deeta Richards is twenty years old. She was born, raised and will die in this building she calls home. She has no future but within these walls. For it’s not safe for them outside the building. Only the trained guards go out for supplies, and even they don’t always return.
Her comfort is caring for the Jepjon's family on the floor above. One day when a secret has been revealed everything Deeta knows and believes is turned upside down.

D.D. has created a wide range of char
Alisia
Jun 17, 2012 Alisia rated it liked it
At the beginning of the book, it seemed like Deeta was telling us a story because she was talking directly to the reader. I found this very interesting and i really liked it.
I got to a major twist in the story then looked down to see how far into the book I was and was surprised to see I was only about half way through! Then I was like YES I get to see what happens!!
So much happens! Loved it. It did kind of remind me of The Hunger Games just without the Games. There are different tribes that
Valentina
Jul 27, 2012 Valentina rated it liked it
This is a wonderfully original view of a post-apocalyptic world, which is sure to be a big hit with all lovers of that style of books.
The world building the author has done really makes all the difference. She’s written a carefully structured story in a type of military city that is fascinating to read about. There are just enough details to keep the reader interested but not overwhelming explanations of how this particular “world” works, so we don’t feel like we are bombarded with information.
Amos Cassidy
Apr 13, 2012 Amos Cassidy rated it it was amazing
Broken City is one of those novels that immediately engages the reader and doesn’t let go until the last page.
Often in dystopian novels you get pages of info dump as the author tries to fill you in on the way of the new world they have created. In those cases, I find myself struggling to assimilate all the information thrown at me and invariably switch off. Not in this case. D.D Chant bleeds colour into the world she has created so skilfully, that the reader doesn’t even realise what is happeni
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Jun 19, 2012 Dani C. (Paulette's Papers) rated it it was amazing
Broken City has to be one of the most captivating dystopia books I have read this year. The beautiful way it was written had me from the moment I started reading and I just could not put it down.

Deeta Richards has never left the building she was born in. She along with her family and the tribe they live with stay inside a building trying to stay safe. Outside their building it is a whole other world. It is an unsafe and dangerous place where you may not come back from.

Deeta, who is rather naïve,
J. Kahele
Sep 07, 2015 J. Kahele rated it really liked it
The author did a great job of creating a unique post-apocalyptic world that drew you in. I never really read a dystopian book before to be honest. I don’t know why, but this was definitely my first and it won’t be my last. It was very interesting and engaging. I felt like Alice in Wonderland, amazed. She crafted some amazing characters, especially Deeta and now that I have read one, I will be moving on to two.
R.J. Askew
Apr 16, 2012 R.J. Askew rated it it was amazing
BROKEN CITY was the first ebook I have ever read - on a borrowed Kindle no less. I enjoyed the novelty of using a Kindle and, far more importantly, the story itself.

BROKEN CITY won my curiosity from the outset and held my attention to the end. I found that the most notable feature of the read for me was how the story triggering all sorts of associations with other stories, historical events, and current issues. It made me think. I was also curious to discover how a young writer such as D.D.Chant
Bin
Feb 14, 2017 Bin rated it really liked it
Very exciting. I really enjoyed this book.

There's romance, fighting and intrigue set thirty years after a great collapse of the world's banks. After the dust has settled, many people have formed tribes to survive. Deeta grows up in this new world where she's never even been to the ground til all is shattered by the abduction of a member of her tribe. In the ensuing uncertainty, Deeta must find courage to survive.
Sandra "Jeanz"
Jan 12, 2014 Sandra "Jeanz" rated it it was amazing
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I was excited to be included on the blog tour for this series of books. Though I had heard of the Author I had yet to read a book by her. Most of you that drop by my blog will know that my favourite genre is Dystopian/Post Apocalyptic . . .so I had high hopes and equally high expectations of this book.

MY REVIEW
I purchased an e-copy of this book from amazon for under a £1! So of course I'm pleased it was a bargain, I just hope its a good read too. The cover literally shows a "Brok
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
I received a free copy of the book from the author for my honest opinion.

Deeta Richards has lived in this building all of her life. She was born in this building and has never been "out". No one ever goes "out" since the banking crisis years ago. Deeta has two sisters, a mother and father. Most of the families that live in the building are not blood kin as Deeta and her family. Deeta is a very strong willed and compassionate person in more than one way. Deeta helps her mother and her family with
Heather Boustead
Jul 08, 2012 Heather Boustead rated it really liked it
Broken City
By D.D. Chant

This is book number one in a story about a post-apocalyptic world where families live in tribes in one of the many abandoned buildings left over after something known as, “the crash” happened. The main characters of this story are Deeta Richards and Tom. Deeta longs to see what is outside of her building because the only ones allowed outside of the compound are soldiers who go out and fight whatever is still out there and Tom is one of those soldiers. Tom is her dearest f
Melissa
This review was first posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on August 29 2012

I'm not quite sure where to start in reviewing this book. First off, I'll start by saying that I did like it. It's not perfect, but it's enjoyable enough of a read.

This is an interesting story about a group of people who are living in a compound. They send select few members of their tribe out to get food and supplies from time to time. And not all of the members of the tribe are what they seem.

This had a slightly dystop
For the Love of Books
Feb 28, 2014 For the Love of Books rated it it was amazing
So, many of you guys know that when I review a book I like to go in blind…I don’t read the excerpts of the synopsis… I read the title and proceed. I started doing this because I felt like it would enhance my reviews by eliminating any preconceived notions and bias that I could unwittingly take into the book. The unexpected benefit that I found for myself, is that I actually end up enjoying books more, I don’t just go on auto-pilot as I’m reading, looking for whatever plot twist or particular act ...more
Valerie
Jun 21, 2012 Valerie rated it liked it
Valerie is going to do this review in third person. She doesn't exactly have a legitimate reason for doing so, but her excuse is that Broken City is too awesome to do a regular review for. Not that Valerie ever did regular reviews....
3.5 out of 5 stars

Valerie really enjoys the character Tom. In her opinion, he is smart, complicated, calm and definitely a hero. He was always there for Deeta, no matter what the circumstances were. Valerie loves how hard it was to figure him out; she loves charac
Bethany
Mar 06, 2014 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Review of Broken City

5 stars

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A great dystopian type of story about a world come to ruins with only tribes left sometimes fighting and struggling to stay alive.

An original and fascinating plot, characters that were beyond likeable and intriguing to read about and descriptive writing makes this one of my favourite reads so far this year.

United Indie Book Blog
Mar 07, 2014 United Indie Book Blog rated it it was amazing

I loved all the supporting characters to be honest, Jan, Jamie, Nella, Ryder, Robin, Ricky, Dec, Terri...honestly they were all brilliant. Each one had something about them that you could ea
Penelope Bartotto
Mar 18, 2014 Penelope Bartotto rated it really liked it
Actual Rating = 3.5 Stars
Broken City is an inventive story with an incredible cast of characters. Deeta makes an impression from the minute you meet her, as does Tom. Technically the characters are by far the most intriguing aspect of the novel. Chant has taken a lot of time to develop her characters and give them the ability to emotionally connect with the reader.
The plot is complex, and takes time to come together in a full picture. I found that until reaching chapter six that while I enjoyed
Twyll
Mar 14, 2013 Twyll rated it liked it
Shelves: arr
Broken City had an interesting world concept, but for the mystery fell flat. I did like Tom, though he was hot/cold at times or absent; as well as Deeta's sister, Jan. She acted more mature & in control than her "older sister" most of the time.
I wasn't fond of Deeta's conversational manner with the reader. It's like she's telling us everything while it's happening. For example, at one point, to the reader: "Did I tell you? No, I don't think I did..." To me, it's jarring and detracts from th
JC82
Mar 11, 2014 JC82 rated it it was amazing
Deeta Richards has been sheltered her whole life. Never exposed to the violence and struggle outside her Tribe’s city walls, Deeta naivety and innocence makes her see the world in a different light then those who have been fighting their wholes lives to survive. Her close knit family and friends has been all she has ever needed but not all she has ever wanted. Deeta’s curiosity for the outside continues to increase and soon she finds herself getting her wish.

The first book in the Broken City Ser
Tonja Drecker
Jan 06, 2015 Tonja Drecker rated it it was amazing
The world is dreary after the end of civilization as we know it, and unlike many types of these stories, this time it ends thanks to over greedy money minds - the banks. The main character, Deeta, lives in a high-rise with the rest of her 'tribe'. They have everything they need to survive but to save them from all the horrors in the world around them, are not allowed to leave the building. Only the guard may do that.

The world is well described and it was easy to immediately sympathize with Deeta
John Steiner
Oct 08, 2011 John Steiner rated it really liked it
D.D. Chant captures the great themes one would otherwise expect from Machiavelli, Shakespeare and a bit of Steinbeck. In most post-apocalyptic stories the end came from some doomsday weapon or environmental cataclysm. Yet Chant decides that a few numbers on stock market boards and bank balance sheets are just as formidable weapons of mass destruction, and advances that concept into the story's environment, plot and characters rather well.

Furthermore, she an employs of a really excellent literary
Cindy
Jun 13, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
This is my second D.D. Chant book and I really enjoy her stories and her writing. I will say this one started just a little slow for me but then picked back up. I like the fact that this is a pretty relatable dystopian it is futuristic but could it happen the way this story describes it, sure. This story takes place in England, everything has fallen apart the government is gone. The Military generals have taken over the military bases, and the rest of the people have grouped together to survive ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Book Haven: Broken City is FREE on Scribl!!! 1 7 Jun 21, 2014 07:33PM
Clean Romances: Broken City is FREE on Scribl!!! 1 6 Jun 21, 2014 07:28PM
Future Survivors,...: Broken City Series Book Tour 5 9 Jan 15, 2014 04:13PM
Clean Romances: The Broken City Series Book Tour. 1 4 Jan 12, 2014 08:03PM
Making Connections: 966. - BROKEN CITY (Book #1) by D.D. Chant 36 116 Aug 21, 2013 07:08PM
Clean Romances: Broken City 2 D.D. Chant 3 12 Apr 03, 2013 04:33PM
BookSpark: Broken City's book trailer has just gone live!!! 3 4 May 08, 2012 11:53AM
  • OMG (Oh My God) (CUL8R Time Travel Mystery, #1)
  • Ashes Ashes (Hostage Negotiation Team #2)
  • Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1)
  • ReAwakened (Angel Creek, #2)
  • Divine Uprising (Divine Uprising, #1)
  • Queen (Regency Refuge, #3)
  • Dying to Run
  • Incantation Paradox
  • The Ruins of Noe (Faerie Tales from the White Forest, #2)
  • Dreamspell (Beyond Time #1)
  • Dancing With Raven
  • A Flirtatious Rendezvous (The Gentlemen Next Door, #4)
  • Spell Struck (Teen Wytche Saga #2)
  • A Class Apart (Class Heroes, #1)
  • First Aid Manual: The Authorised Manual of St John Ambulance, St. Andrews Ambulance Association and the British Red Cross
  • The Fire Within (The Fire of The Soul, #1)
  • Honor (Rhynan #2)
  • 666 Charing Cross Road
5200308
Hi everyone!

My name is Dee Dee, I'm twenty seven and I live in a beautiful part of Devon, England, with my family.

That introduction made me feel a little bit like I was on Blind Date!!!

As our house is in the countryside we have some unusual neighbours including chickens, ducks, geese, pheasants, a cat (that adopted us when we moved in!!!) and some koi. I also have a very long suffering younger
More about D.D. Chant...

Broken City (3 books)
  • Broken Truce (Broken City, #2)
  • Broken Pride (Broken City, #3)

“You have been so sheltered, Deeta - more even than your sisters. You know nothing of life or of people, in truth I think both scare you. You have little experience of anything but Tom and I and the children. You carved out a little niche for yourself with us, somewhere you were comfortable and safe. With each passing day I have watched you close yourself off from all that is new until it becomes impossible to answer the question of who you are because you do not know yourself. I think you have courage and that you are resourceful, maybe you are brave. But at this moment I see you look at upheaval and adventure with fright in your soul, so that you see only the bad and no good at all.” 2 likes
“So? I know lots of beautiful women. Nova wanted to chase... I merely obliged her by running.” 1 likes