Betty & Friends: My Life at the Zoo

Betty & Friends: My Life at the Zoo

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  99 reviews
America's sweetheart, impassioned lifelong animal welfare advocate, and "New York Times "bestselling author Betty White shares intimate, funny, and enlightening stories about her very best friends in the world...
All her life, Betty White has had a menagerie of pets, many of them rescued, and has donated countless hours and resources to animal welfare. Animals are her pass...more
ebook
Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Betty & Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betty & Friends

Extremely easy read, filled with many beautiful photos, interesting facts and cute stories! Betty's immense love for animals and zoos just makes me love her all the more!
Preeti
A light, quick read - I would probably almost call this a children's book except that it's longer (in terms of pages) than most children's books. I had no idea Betty White was so into animals and zoos. I think it's great that someone of her level is involved in this type of work, which you don't see that often.

Looking through the pictures was fun, but most of the text was fluffy. I did love how she infused a bit of humor in places. It made me grin.

It's very text-light overall. Shouldn't take mor...more
Mom
What can I say? It's another "Betty" book! Of course I love it! Betty writes as if she is having a conversation with you; consequently you feel as if she is one of your best friends. The pictures in this book are so breathtaking I want to look at them again and again! This is a must read! You won't regret it! :-)
Paul Pessolano
“Betty & Friends, My Life at the Zoo” by Betty White, published by G.P. Putnam’s Sons.

Category – Animals

If there were more Betty Whites in the world there probably would be fewer if any endangered species. In her book Betty tells of her life long love of animals and zoos. She is quick to let everyone know that there are people who are opposed to zoos because they believe that animals should not be kept in captivity and that is cruel. She is also quick to expound on the fact that zoos have c...more
Amanda
Love watching Betty White on TV, especially reruns of The Golden Girls, and her little segments on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. I've been wanting to read one of her books for a while now, I am so glad I picked this one as my first. This book shows in very great detail, the love Betty has for all animals. The pictures are lovely, and the small amount of facts about the animals, is very interesting for anyone who is interested in animals.
Peebee
This book starts with the following: "I realize there are those whose minds are irrevocably set against the entire concept of zoos and consequently see only negatives. They have every right to their opinion and I respect it. As for me, however, I am a confirmed zoophile, and I particularly appreciate the positive changes that have taken place in the whole zoo community over the past few decades and the critical role they play today in perpetuating endangered species." My view could not be stated...more
Whitney
This book is basically like a children's book filled with pictures of adorable animals and cute anecdotes. That being said, I recommended it to all of my animal loving friends and family! Sometimes you just need a quick, heart-warming book to read. If this didn't have Betty White on the cover it probably wouldn't have sold many copies, but congrats to Betty for bringing her passions to the main stream just because she can.

I would definitely give this to adults but you could very easily pass it o...more
Amy
This book was an incredibly fast read. I think there were more pages of pictures than of text. Anyway, if you love animals and Betty White, I think you will enjoy this book quite a bit. I learned about some animals I had never heard of before and I also learned more about Betty's role in helping save animals through her work with the LA Zoo. The photos are absolutely beautiful (one in particular made me jealous... I want to hold a koala too!).
Pam
I have always greatly respected Betty White's crusade for animals, an issue which I agree with. In this book, Betty White writes about some of the animals at the zoo that she has known and come to love. It is accompanied by the most glorious photography imaginable. If you love animals, this is a quick read that you will definitely enjoy! And make sure you read to "The End" so you don't miss the best part!
Elizabeth
I just picked this up as Betty White is everywhere right now and I figured I might as well learn about her. Turns out this book is about the various zoos she's visited or sits on the Board for. Still some really beautiful photos and a behind the scenes appreciation for what zoos are doing to balance man's destructive habits. Maybe the wrong animals are behind bars ...
Becky Galambos
This book is an excellent zoo animal guide, infused with Betty White's humor. Her love of animals and her wit shine on EVERY page. Lots of color pics. I think my favorite picture is of her and the giraffe - the caption is an apology to the zoo, for getting lipstick on the giraffe who kissed her.
Lori
A very fun enjoyable read. I love to read about animals. Betty White is known for her love for animals. she is devoted to all species of animals. she is the ambassador to the Los Angeles zoo. i enjoyed getting a birds eye view of the zoo animals. what a lucky lady Betty White is getting an up close encounter with them. there are many pictures of her feeding petting and holding all kinds of species. how lucky the animals to be around her too.I am sure they know they are safe and loved by her. The...more
Meredith
Lovely book. Betty White has spent years involved with zoos, especially the L.A. Zoo and introduces us to some of her furry, scaly, 4 legged, no legged, old and young 'friends'. I picked this up in my sadness over the gorillas I've come to know at the N.C. Zoo that are going to be moved elsewhere in a few months feeling that Betty W. could understand. The pictures are excellent and Betty White's stories about the animals are funny and interesting. She also explains where some of the animals are...more
Connie
This was a very good book--her love for animals goes beyond.....
Naomi
Betty strikes again, but in a really unusual way!!

I loved the pictures in this book. Whoever was the photographer was really able to nail almost "humanistic" qualities in some of the animals, particularly those in the primates. It was pretty amazing. Of course, then, there is the text written by Betty that brought the book together. I disagree with some of the "snippiness and snarkiness" written by another reviewer on this thread. I think the information was relevant and, again, brought an under...more
Orsolya
Fans of Betty White are well-aware of her extreme love for both domestic and wild animals. White is not only involved with and serves on the board of several animal non-profits; but she has won awards for her work. Betty White shares some of her animal experiences in “Betty & Friends: My Life at the Zoo”.

Although “Betty & Friends” is beautifully eye appealing with glossy pages, luxurious colors, and gorgeous photos of animals; the text and “plot” falls short. As much as I adore Betty, “B...more
Andrew
This is a difficult review to write.

"Betty & Friends" features a number of photographs of animals, along with author Betty White's recollections of meeting or observing them - plus a factoid or two along the way.

EXCEPT ...
a) Some of these photos do not feature animals that Betty has a background with (at least not one she makes obvious); they're incredible photos, but the captions provide no illumination.

b) Some of those captions do not provide any significant detail; in fact, they consist o...more
Ashley
Betty & Friends is the passion project Betty White has been working on for more than a decade - a love letter to zoos and to the animals in them. Betty takes us on a private tour of her favorite animals and her friendships with them - from Gita the elephant, whom Betty used to take for walks before the zoo opened; to Kelly the massive silver back gorilla, whom Betty has known since his birth in 1987. From giraffes to lizards to koalas, readers witness the majestic variety of animals through...more
Kristin
How can you not love Betty White and fabulous pictures of animals? The book was short on words but filled with photos of animals in the variety of zoos Betty loves, including special animals that she forged a bont with over the years. Some are current residents, others were key individauls to restoration of their species whose legacy lives on with their offspring.
Betty includes stories about many of these animals, some being a sentence long, others a couple pages, all told from her perspective....more
Jessica
I really enjoyed this book. I think many people, myself included, may have wanted to see more of Betty's humor, like we did with the picture of Cheeks the cockatoo. However, I don't think that humor was the point Betty was trying to make. Betty wants us to see an appreciation for animals as well as the conservation efforts zoos do. She wants to wake up the world regarding the protection of wildlife, and I think that she succeeded in this purpose.
Aitzko
A sweet little book about Betty White's work with zoos, most specifically the Los Angeles Zoo. It's written in a style that would be accessible for kids, although not meant expressly for them. Plenty of photos illustrate her short vignettes about the animals she's close to, and she gives great little anecdotes about them. A short read; a nice palate-cleanser.
Kim
I didn't realize it going in, but this is more of a photo album than an actual novel. Betty White wants us all to love animals and love good zoos and she she tries to do this through beautiful animal pictures and short anecdotes. Pretty much the book goes that you read a few paragraphs about Betty's interaction with, say, a gorilla and then you turn the page expecting to read more about the gorilla but instead find the next five pages filled with pictures of random zoo animals with the occasiona...more
Tracey Miller
Quick easy read. Loved the photography! Enjoyed reading about what all Betty has done for the LA zoo and animals everywhere!
Marilyn
Nice book, picked up a few interesting animal facts. Nice book for children, great pictures.
Lauren
The photos are absolutely beautiful and you should learn a thing-or-two from reading it. So, it's a win-win.
Karen & Gerard
Being an animal lover myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this book of fantastic photographs of animals Betty White has met and got to know in various zoos. She gives some interesting facts about the animals, shares her special one-on-one encounters she's had with many and manages to include some humor as well. The only thing I object to was that she gives "Mother Nature" credit for the animals instead of God, the creator.

I highly recommend this as a must read for all animal lovers--a great animal boo...more
Malia
Nothing melts my heart more than Betty. The first Lady.
M
I love animals, and I love Betty White. So what better combination is this? The book is really cool. Betty White is funny and there a couple of lines in the book that made me do a double take... huh? Wow she's a cool old lady! The pictures in the book are beautiful, lots of zoo animals and she knows a lot of them personally. The photo of her hugging the koala is super precious!

Jeanne
This book is like going on a personal tour of a zoo with Betty White as the guide. She is of course a friend to all the animals, not just pets, and not just the cute ones. And by friend, I mean she has a personal relationship with the animals in this book and she calls them all by name. "Meet my Lena, the gorilla or Beethoven, the beluga whale." The color photographs are remarkable
Jodie
Oh how I love my Betty White. She is just such a wonderful person. I found this book charming, informative and entertaining. She has such passion for what she loves in this life and I hope that I can live my life with half of her charisma. If you love animals, Betty White or just enjoy going to the zoo, don't miss this one. The Pictures are awesome too.
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Making Animals Happy: How to Create the Best Life for Pets and Other Animals
  • What a Difference a Dog Makes: Big Lessons on Life, Love and Healing from a Small Pooch
  • Unlikely Friendships : 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • A Spring without Bees: How Colony Collapse Disorder Has Endangered Our Food Supply
  • Giant George: Life with the World's Biggest Dog
  • Part Wild: One Woman's Journey with a Creature Caught Between the Worlds of Wolves and Dogs
  • Only One Woof
  • Chaser: Unlocking the Genius of the Dog Who Knows a Thousand Words
  • Heroes for My Daughter
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • My First Five Husbands..And the Ones Who Got Away
  • One on One: Behind the Scenes with the Greats in the Game
  • The Woman I Was Born to Be: My Story
Betty White is an American five-time Emmy Award-winning film and television actress with a career spanning sixty years. She also appeared in radio programs, movies, theater, commercials, and was also a talk show and game show host. White is perhaps best known for her roles in the sitcoms The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls.
More about Betty White...
If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) Here We Go Again: My Life In Television Betty White in Person The Leading Lady: Dinah's Story Betty White's Pet-Love: How Pets Take Care of Us