Start by marking “Dave Barry's Guide to Life (Contains: "Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex" / "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" / "Stay Fit and Healthy Until You're Dead" / "Claw Your Way to the Top")” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Very funny book on marriage, sex, healthy and success.

Published July 20th 1991 by Wings (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Guide to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Guide to Life

Weston Locher
In his guide to life collection, Dave Barry tackles just about everything: dating, marriage, babies, fitness, and how to succeed in the corporate world. He does it all with his traditional style of humor which will keep you laughing with every page turn.

I'd have to agree with a lot of readers and say that the first two selections, "Guide to Marriage and/or Sex" and "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" were the high points and basically kept me in stitches the entire time. I kept getting dizzy from
Aron Kaufman
May 16, 2007 Aron Kaufman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This book might be my favorite Dave Barry book. It is hilarious! Usually I can't stop laughing when I read this, and it's hard to go more than a couple of sentences without laughing out loud. It's Dave's ultra-sarcastic/hyperbolic take on marriage, sex, raising kids, exercise, and work. Sure, it was written in the mid '80s so some of the references are out of date, but it's just so funny that it doesn't matter.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a good laugh, or 5,000 of them.
Todd
An older Dave Barry book, but still a good one. It's a combo of four other books. Humorous as always, and his (often, but not always) subtle injection of delegitimizing satire against government & big-business practices, as well as cultural conservatism, are a welcome addition (thanks Sheldon Richman: http://server.theadvocates.org/celebr...).
Jocelyn
This book brought a new light to my life when I got it for my 15th birthday.
Honestly, this book it awesome. It's perfectly poignant and funny. Dave Barry is a complete goof; he makes my toes curl in joy. It's definitely a bathroom read but I find myself picking it up every once in a while just for a good laugh.
Jill
Feb 26, 2014 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I didn't realize this was a compilation of several books. There were some very funny parts, but some of it was repeated, and sometimes, he is just trying too hard. I did laugh a lot - especially at the excerpts on pregnancy and men's child-rearing.
Carol
Fun, quick read. I was surprised only a few things were outdated. Dave Barry is a solid wit. I look forward to the new book.
rabbitprincess
Dec 11, 2009 rabbitprincess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dave Barry fans
The first two books are the best. Any time Dave talks about babies, you know it's going to be funny. What a wit.
Kimberley D
I guess some people know people who resemble these gender stereotypes enough that they are funny. I'm sorry.
Tamsyn Kennedy
Easy to dip in and out of and still laugh out loud funny, even if some of the references are dated.
Charlie
Should have read this when I was in high school. (never mind that it wasn't written then.)
Dawn Edwards
Everything you ever needed to know. And then some. With slide whistle.
Sydney
As always Dave Barry has a hysterical take on life.
Elizabeth
hardback, good condition but missing dust jacket.
Sunaina
Fairly entertaining, as usual.
Tammy Eden
Tammy Eden is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
angela
angela added it
Dec 14, 2014
Cj
Cj marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Kevin Chen
Kevin Chen marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Beth F.
Beth F. marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Artemia
Artemia marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Nov 18, 2014
Heather Marie
Heather Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • A Practical Guide to Racism
  • I'd Rather We Got Casinos: And Other Black Thoughts
  • You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice
  • Pure Drivel
  • And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
  • Android Karenina
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • The Alcoholics
  • Eyeheart Everything
  • My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face
  • Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody: The Terrifyingly Real Ways the World Wants You Dead
  • Suck It, Wonder Woman!: The Misadventures of a Hollywood Geek
  • I Drink for a Reason
  • How to Beat Up Anybody: An Instructional and Inspirational Karate Book by the World Champion
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Cradle
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

“My theory is that there is a finite amount of intelligence in a family, and you're supposed to gradually transfer it to your children over a period of many years. This is why your parents started to get so stupid just at the time in your life when you were getting really smart.” 3 likes
“The reason is that you eat too many foods that are high in "calories," which are little units that measure how good a particular food tastes. Fudge, for example, has a great many calories, whereas celery, which is not really a food at all but a member of the plywood family, provided by Mother Nature so that mankind would have a way to get onion dip into his mouth at parties, has none.” 3 likes