Start by marking “Dave Barry's Guide to Life (Contains: "Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex" / "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" / "Stay Fit and Healthy Until You're Dead" / "Claw Your Way to the Top")” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  677 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
What we need is an instruction manual for life--a serious, carefully researched treatise filled with wisdom and insight. Instead, we have "Dave Barry's Guide to Life, " which is no help whatsoever. But it's a "lot" shorter than "The Brothers Karamazov, " plus it has more cartoons. And look at the topics Dave covers:
Published July 20th 1991 by Wings (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Guide to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Guide to Life

Wes Locher
Jul 12, 2010 Wes Locher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, essays, 2010-reads
In his guide to life collection, Dave Barry tackles just about everything: dating, marriage, babies, fitness, and how to succeed in the corporate world. He does it all with his traditional style of humor which will keep you laughing with every page turn.

I'd have to agree with a lot of readers and say that the first two selections, "Guide to Marriage and/or Sex" and "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" were the high points and basically kept me in stitches the entire time. I kept getting dizzy from
Cindy
Jul 13, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
One of Dave Barry's early works, this book is actually a compilation of four books. The first two sections on marriage, sex, and babies are wildly entertaining with only a slant Dave Barry can create. The last two sections on fitness and job success are okay, but the book would have been better without them dragging the book out -- they could have been used as their own book or columns.

I'm a Dave Barry fan and I find his humor vastly entertaining. He has a unique view of ordinary life events.
Aron Kaufman
May 16, 2007 Aron Kaufman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This book might be my favorite Dave Barry book. It is hilarious! Usually I can't stop laughing when I read this, and it's hard to go more than a couple of sentences without laughing out loud. It's Dave's ultra-sarcastic/hyperbolic take on marriage, sex, raising kids, exercise, and work. Sure, it was written in the mid '80s so some of the references are out of date, but it's just so funny that it doesn't matter.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a good laugh, or 5,000 of them.
Todd
Feb 23, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, humor
An older Dave Barry book, but still a good one. It's a combo of four other books. Humorous as always, and his (often, but not always) subtle injection of delegitimizing satire against government & big-business practices, as well as cultural conservatism, are a welcome addition (thanks Sheldon Richman: http://server.theadvocates.org/celebr...).
Jill
Feb 26, 2014 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I didn't realize this was a compilation of several books. There were some very funny parts, but some of it was repeated, and sometimes, he is just trying too hard. I did laugh a lot - especially at the excerpts on pregnancy and men's child-rearing.
Carol
Jan 07, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
Fun, quick read. I was surprised only a few things were outdated. Dave Barry is a solid wit. I look forward to the new book.
rabbitprincess
Dec 11, 2009 rabbitprincess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dave Barry fans
The first two books are the best. Any time Dave talks about babies, you know it's going to be funny. What a wit.
Kimberley D
Apr 26, 2012 Kimberley D rated it did not like it
I guess some people know people who resemble these gender stereotypes enough that they are funny. I'm sorry.
Tamsyn Kennedy
Feb 22, 2014 Tamsyn Kennedy rated it liked it
Easy to dip in and out of and still laugh out loud funny, even if some of the references are dated.
Charlie
Jan 03, 2011 Charlie rated it liked it
Should have read this when I was in high school. (never mind that it wasn't written then.)
Dawn Edwards
Sep 24, 2012 Dawn Edwards rated it it was amazing
Everything you ever needed to know. And then some. With slide whistle.
Sydney
Sep 01, 2011 Sydney rated it liked it
As always Dave Barry has a hysterical take on life.
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2013 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box-783-misc_sex
hardback, good condition but missing dust jacket.
Sunaina
Apr 07, 2013 Sunaina rated it liked it
Fairly entertaining, as usual.
Zieora
Zieora marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Scent
Scent rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
Ivo
Ivo marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
marshall noyes
marshall noyes rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Denise Garbowski
Denise Garbowski marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
StellaBella
StellaBella rated it it was amazing
Jeff Calden
Jeff Calden rated it liked it
Shilpi Sharma
Shilpi Sharma marked it as to-read
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • Dracula is a Racist: A Totally Factual Guide to Vampires
  • A Practical Guide to Racism
  • Pure Drivel
  • I'd Rather We Got Casinos: And Other Black Thoughts
  • You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice
  • Android Karenina
  • And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
  • The Alcoholics
  • When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden: What the Government Should Be Telling Us to Help Fight the War on Terrorism
  • Eyeheart Everything
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • Suck It, Wonder Woman!: The Misadventures of a Hollywood Geek
  • Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody: The Terrifyingly Real Ways the World Wants You Dead
  • The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong
  • Cradle
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

“The reason is that you eat too many foods that are high in "calories," which are little units that measure how good a particular food tastes. Fudge, for example, has a great many calories, whereas celery, which is not really a food at all but a member of the plywood family, provided by Mother Nature so that mankind would have a way to get onion dip into his mouth at parties, has none.” 6 likes
“My theory is that there is a finite amount of intelligence in a family, and you're supposed to gradually transfer it to your children over a period of many years. This is why your parents started to get so stupid just at the time in your life when you were getting really smart.” 4 likes