Train Wreck: A Novel

Train Wreck: A Novel

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What if I told you there is a secret stock market that assigns a dollar value to the life of every man, woman and child?

Would you believe it? And more importantly, how much do you think you'd be worth?

Nick Buchanan faces that question every day. He works for a nontraditional insurance firm that gambles on the lives of ordinary Americans and cashes in when they die.

After on...more
Published August 30th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Train Wreck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Train Wreck

Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-SmithThe Night Circus by Erin MorgensternInsurgent by Veronica RothLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldThe Leftovers by Tom Perrotta
New Books to Purchase
15th out of 54 books — 15 voters
Escaping the Arroyo by Joyce NanceThe God Complex by Chris TitusThe Dark Before Dawn by Laurie StevensGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueNew York by Travis Luedke
Books Deserving A Movie/T.V. Series
17th out of 68 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Ginger Myrick
As a reader, there is nothing I want more than to be taken away from my current situation, a.k.a. the present. As a writer of love stories set in the past, by the end of a long day writing there is nothing I want more than to escape THAT time period. Ironic, huh? Well, TRAIN WRECK accomplished that feat and brought me slamming back into the present in spectacular fashion.

Gavrish starts off his tale innocuously enough with his clean writing and subtle sense of humor. He is a keen study of human b...more
William Blackwell
For a first work, I thought this novel was well written, tightly plotted and interesting right through to the end. Through a series of flashbacks, Bennett Gavrish tells the story of the interlocking lives of a group of passengers on a red eye Amtrack train to Washington, DC.

As the story unravels, we learn lead protagonist Nick Buchanan works for an insurance company that raises the stakes significantly. The Firm takes out life insurance policies on people and then arranges to have them killed, c...more
Amanda Plante
Jeremy DeBottis
Nick Buchanan is a likable protagonist that drives this tightly wound plot from Boston to Washington DC. The characters he's forced to interact with run the spectrum of over-the-top to almost forgettable which helps to balance one another out and make them more believable.
The story does a great job of keeping you hooked from character to character as you learn how unsuspecting people can be surprisingly connected with highly entertaining one-liners scattered throughout this enjoyable read.
Beverly
I really liked this first novel. Reminiscent of "And Then There Were None".Very easily read, with enough cultural references to keep it contemporary.Good character development,through flashbacks; good pacing of story. I was able to figure out the connections between the strangers but it did not prepare me for the ending. Job well done.
Renee
Oh my gosh.....this book was excellent!!!!! I could not put it down. This is a must read for anyone who likes thrillers. I received this book from Goodreads.
Diane
Bennett, you aced it! I loved the story and couldn't turn my Kindle off till I finished it. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Rachel Whitley
Apr 23, 2012 Rachel Whitley marked it as to-read
WOW! This book has one of the most intriguing "what ifs" in its synopsis I've ever read! I can't wait to read it!
Justice
From: http://erinmjustice.com/2013/03/13/bo...

I’d Recommend to: Georgia & Shaun Mason (Mira Grant’s Newsflesh trilogy); Daisy Buchanan & Jay Gatsby (come on, the main character’s name is Nick Buchanan! It’s Nick Carraway + Tom Buchanan! Imagine the discussions!)

My Review:
I started and finished Train Wreck in the same day – a rarity for me lately. Train Wreck is fairly short and captivating. I will admit that the beginning was a little difficult for me to get into – there are a lot of per...more
Lynne Thomas
There is nothing I enjoy more then finding new authors who's work gives me more then I expected. Train Wreck, by Bennett Gavrish, does just that.
Though not truly a debut, as he has published a non fiction book, this is his first novel. I was hooked from page one until the very end. His characters are well developed and the words flow flawlessly. It's hard to describe the book without giving away the story, though as the title suggests, a moral train wreck is happening and we get to enjoy the ra...more
Samuel Toms
Same old world - new ways of telling the story. Train Wreck feels like a growing up book for those who've stopped going to the bar every night with their friends after work and are thinking beyond the scope of a one-bedroom apartment. The mixture of humor and futility feels personal and perhaps at times a little single-minded, but deliberately so.

The story is good, it's far fetched in a funny way and the characters are quite easy to get to grips with, as a cross-section from many walks of life a...more
Brad Heap
While the plot and premise of this book is rather interesting, I was frustrated by the lose ends, and unnecessary side stories. Some editing could have made this book much better.
Donna
I have to begin by stating, this book is not my usual genre. It was told in a flashback form from the viewpoint of multiple people. I agree with other reviewers statement tht this is a great attempt for a first novel. The book was a quick read full of humor. The storyline was quite interesting. A Red Eye train from Boston to Washington DC. Each character on the train tells his/her own story. All characters are somehow connected to main character Nick. I was not too fond of the language used thro...more
Rob Gouveia
Kind of a modern day Canterbury Tales with a dark side. Liked it well enough to see what else this guy comes up with.
Robert Stadnik
A well-done story with a good premise. It followed human behavior which one would expect. Well done, author.
Ryan Nickole Kosch
Ryan Nickole Kosch marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Reyna
Reyna marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Dan Sinclair
Dan Sinclair marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Krissy Reeves
Krissy Reeves marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Katherine Byrd
Katherine Byrd marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Menara
Menara marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Alee
Alee marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
James McNally
James McNally marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Yana Pernot
Yana Pernot marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Marisa Hendrickson
Marisa Hendrickson marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Landry Stafford
Landry Stafford marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
5197909
Bennett Gavrish is a software developer and part-time novelist from New Hampshire. He graduated from Boston University in 2010 with a degree in journalism. Train Wreck is his first novel.
More about Bennett Gavrish...
Secrets to Losing Weight in College: How I Reversed the Freshman 15 & Dropped 120 Pounds in One Year The Window of Lies (Hotel Apocalypse, #1) Hotel Apocalypse, Volume II (Episodes 5-8) Hotel Apocalypse, Volume I (Episodes 1-4) The Custodian's Key (Hotel Apocalypse, #2)