Start by marking “Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home” as Want to Read:

In this classic crack-up of a book, Dave Barry gives his wacky perspective on sex, childbirth, parenting and other forms of slow, cruel torture.

In Babies and Other Hazards of Sex, Dave exposes natural childbirth for what it is: a pop phenomenon of the 1960s that, along with paisley bell-bottoms and creative sideburns, deserves a rest. He examines the new federal law requir
Published January 15th 2000 by Rodale Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Babies and Other Hazards of Sex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babies and Other Hazards of Sex

Jessica
Jul 28, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Love my Dave Barry. I think I read every book he ever published, though some before I started keeping my book journal. Warning, reading Dave Barry at a music concert in a nice Princeton recital hall comes with the danger of audibly snorting and disturbing those around you. I was a multi-tasking child, and well prepared for my future college job as a stage manager at the School of Music during which I would sit backstage and again read books instead of paying attention to the music.
Kristin
May 07, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
This book is hysterical, and it's because it's exaggerated truth. Anyone who has or works with kids knows how dead on Dave Barry is in this book. My favorite was when he explained how to keep children from eating disgusting things they pick up off the floor. (Lure them away with something even more disgusting.)
Sean Halpin
Dec 17, 2014 Sean Halpin rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone considering having children.
Judi Chelekis
Nov 30, 2016 Judi Chelekis rated it it was amazing
Funny!
Jane Stewart
Apr 12, 2014 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-essays
I smiled a lot!

This is a short piece, 1 hours. I’ve heard these things before, but it’s fun to hear Dave’s take. Example: a baby’s purpose in life is filling diapers and putting disgusting things in his mouth.

Audiobook narrator Arte Johnson was good.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook length: 1 hrs and 34 mins. Swearing language: I don’t recall any. Sexual content: none, other than jokes about sperm and eggs. Book copyright: 1984. Genre: humorous essays.
Tim
Jan 26, 2015 Tim rated it liked it
I devoured all of Dave Barry's stuff in high school and college, but I haven't read him in years. Now that I have a baby of my own, I remembered a lot of his jokes about babies from 30 years ago. So I reread the book, which is still pretty good. (Although not quite as hilarious as I remember.)
Liz
Jun 23, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, humor
This book is hilarious. Dave Barry manages to narrate the first three years of raising a child without being offensive to virtually any parenting style or birthing preference, which is a tricky tightrope to walk. I laughed out loud a LOT. An easy, quick read.
Tim
Jul 17, 2014 Tim rated it liked it
Not bad. I don't read this type of book hardly ever but the title pulled me in and I have had friends who just loved his humor. Its funny but not over the top. For me it got old around the middle.
Katie
Apr 17, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
This was written in the 80s/early 90s, so the information is a little dated. But, birthing/parenting hasn't really changed that much, so it's still pretty funny.
Julie
Jul 28, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Had to pull over and stop the car because hubby and I were laughing sooooo hard! A MUST read for anyone who is pregnant!!!!
ASA
Apr 29, 2012 ASA rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Dave Barry is really funny and this is a good book for anyone who plans to have or has ever had a baby.
Alexis
Sep 06, 2015 Alexis rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious. I think I may have enjoyed reading far more than I should have, humor in life is awesome!
Shelley
Apr 06, 2009 Shelley rated it really liked it
An outrageously funny account of the shocking nature of first time parenthood. Take it to your next baby shower.
Anna
Dec 21, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing
My parents were given this book as a gift while pregnant with me. It will always be dear to my heart.

You must read this for a laugh or two. Then you should go bowling.
Marlena
Apr 05, 2010 Marlena marked it as to-read
No babies here yet. Just thought this looked funny and wanted to remember to check out at BN sometime.
Millerbug
Nov 19, 2008 Millerbug rated it liked it
It was a cute read. Although, I'm way past having more children (closer to grandparenthood... and I'm hoping that is in the distant future) But I did get a kick out of a lot senerios in this book.
Matt
May 04, 2011 Matt rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Read it as part of the book Dave Barry's Guide to Life.

While parts were funny, it was too crude for my tastes.
Gina Mora
Apr 28, 2012 Gina Mora rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2012

Hilarious, but you might not want to read it until your child is 3 and you can see the humor in it.
Laura rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2010
Arielle
Arielle rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2009
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Liz Larocca
Liz Larocca rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2007
Mguhin
Mguhin rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Stephen Snyder
Jul 22, 2013 Stephen Snyder rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Very Humorous!!! Excellent book. Thank you Franklin Public Library for the loan.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2009
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Katherine Thomas
Katherine Thomas rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
  • When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home
  • Another Day in Cubicle Paradise
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • The Unbeheaded King (The Reluctant King, #3)
  • Cows of Our Planet
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Thrashed (Zits Sketchbook, #9)
  • Welcome to Jasorassic Park: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

“Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home.” 20 likes