Start by marking “The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #19)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #19)

The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #19)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,014 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Three junior detectives investigate a mystery involving an Oriental chest, a sunken ship, and a baffling dual identity.
Published September 12th 1979 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 12th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Phantom Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Phantom Lake

Nadja A.
Oct 25, 2015 Nadja A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Nicht minder spannend als Teil 1, aber im Vergleich zu den anderen ersten Fällen fällt er ein bisschen ab.
Quentin Wallace
Mar 08, 2016 Quentin Wallace rated it liked it
I don't think I'll ever read a Three Investigators novel that will be under 3 stars. This one wasn't one of the best simply because I thought it was a little predictable. Still good, but just seemed to lack the spark of the better novels in the series. I'm not sure if it was locale, characters, or what that kept this from the top level. Not bad, just not one of the best. As I said, thought, even the lesser books in this series are good!
MaggyGray
Meine absolute Lieblingsfolge der Drei Fragezeichen. Ich weiß nicht, warum das so ist, denn es gibt ein paar Geschichten, die besser sind als diese. Vielleicht war dies die erste Folge, die ich von den Fragezeichen gehört habe, ich habe keine Ahnung.

Ich weiß nur, dass ich mir diese Folge immer und immer wieder anhören kann, ohne dass es anfangen würde, mich zu nerven. Ich mag daran alles: die Geschichte, die Sprecher, die Musik, das leicht Surreale an dieser Folge. Der Böse wird relativ schnell
Mark
Jan 04, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I started my reading year with a cracker here. The boys are on a buying trip with Aunt Mathilda when they run into Java Jim, who desperately wants an old chest belonging to Angus Gunn. He had a house on Phantom Lake and it was rumoured he’d buried treasure on the property, but no-one has ever found it. Taking in a ghost town, a trip to (real locations, I discovered, in) Santa Barbara and several cases of mistaken identity, this is a cracking adventure, told with flair and originality from ...more
Anni
Jan 10, 2017 Anni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
(Hörspiel)
Robert Stewart
Oh dear, the third 3I book by William Arden with a villain wearing a rubber mask. One to forget, I'm afraid.
Jeff Stephenson
Feb 07, 2017 Jeff Stephenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AH&T3I Update: 19 read, 9 hardbacks to go (and all those 15 pesky paperbacks as well...)

Despite the multiple authors who worked on the Three Investigators series, consistency among the titles remained fairly high. For example, the personalities of the three boys remained constant throughout the series. The supporting characters such as Alfred Hitchcock, Uncle Titus, Aunt Mathilda, Hans and Konrad, not to mention Worthington and the Rolls-Royce all make appearances in most, if not every, titl
Mark
Mar 13, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2010 review - Well, I started my reading year with a cracker here. The boys are on a buying trip with Aunt Mathilda when they run into Java Jim, who desperately wants an old chest belonging to Angus Gunn. He had a house on Phantom Lake and it was rumoured he’d buried treasure on the property, but no-one has ever found it. Taking in a ghost town, a trip to (real locations, I discovered, in) Santa Barbara and several cases of mistaken identity, this is a cracking adventure, told with flair and ori ...more
Raja99
Sep 11, 2007 Raja99 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why I Reread this Book: I found a copy at a local Goodwill store for 99 cents ;-)

I've been on a three investigators rereading kick ever since I discovered four titles in the Kindle store. By a lucky coincidence, I found this on the shelf of a local Goodwill store. (It was even miss-shelved in science fiction; without that, I'm not sure I would have found it!)

(Note for purists: It was the Hector Sebastian keyhole paperback edition.)

It looks like the last time I rated this four out of five on Good
Dion Yulianto
Mar 15, 2012 Dion Yulianto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Membaca buku ini ibarat membuka kenangan, tentang petualangan yang pernah kita rasakan dan juga impikan ketika masih kanak-kanak dulu. Siapa tahu, Trio Detektif turut membentuk kita sehingga menjadi seperti sekarang. Ulasan untuk baca bareng BBI di http://dionyulianto.blogspot.co.id/20...
Irwan
Aug 18, 2007 Irwan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, young-adult
The only thing I remember about this volume is the cover in the Indonesian version. A picture of a scary three with ghostly facial expression. I wonder why the cover is not available anywhere for any editions online. I kinda hate it to list a book without cover hehehe....
Andreas Aris
Jan 10, 2013 Andreas Aris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While my classmates started to case girls and got trap into what so called "first love", I trapped myself into an imagination of becoming a smart detective like Jupiter Jones. This is a very addictive book!
Eliza
Mar 25, 2015 Eliza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Boys 8-12 and anyone else :)
I enjoyed this book! Pretty sure I'm a little old for it but it was a nice break in between books that take longer to read. I'm pretty sure anyone who enjoys Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books will enjoy this :) It was kinda predictable but still enjoyable!
Cory
Dec 07, 2013 Cory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Another nostalgia kick, but sadly it didn't hold up as well. The action is great, but the story itself is sparse and the motivations of the characters somewhat bizarre.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Lauchlin
Dec 06, 2013 Lauchlin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Frederick Tan
Dec 18, 2015 Frederick Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.
Freya
Apr 21, 2016 Freya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good old Justus, Peter and Bob!(:
Ethan Johnson
Nov 18, 2009 Ethan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
Recommended to Ethan by: My Mom
I am reading all the books in the series. If all of them are as good as this one. I'll read them all.
Yavanna
I read a lot of the three investigators in my early teens, when I was between 11 and 14. I think I read the whole shelf of the library, where those books were kept :) but I remember only a few ...
Gibin Prince
May 15, 2016 Gibin Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really
a good one in the series
was glad when i found the book again in pdf format because in the school i read it in 7-8 after that i dint find that book
Found in 10th though (in pdf)
Serena
May 03, 2013 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Soňa
Oct 13, 2016 Soňa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Po dlhej dobe opäť traja pátrači v akcii, a je to príjemné prekvapenie. Rýchly sej, akcia na akciu a ja som hltala strany. A teraz už i viem aká je záhada Fantómovho jazerá.
JBooks
Mar 12, 2016 JBooks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jetzt habe ich keine Bücher mehr von den drei Fragezeichen die ich lesen kann >___<
Brauch Nachschub xD
Tzeni
Tzeni rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2010
Ilham Rusdiana
Ilham Rusdiana rated it liked it
May 17, 2017
Caleb
Caleb rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Mary Margaret
Mary Margaret rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Chris Mcdevitt
Chris Mcdevitt rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2011
  • The Mystery of Monster Mountain (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #20)
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Rogues' Reunion (The Three Investigators, #40)
Real name: Dennis Lynds.
Beginning in 1968 with The Mystery of the Moaning Cave and ending in 1989 with Hot Wheels, Dennis Lynds wrote fourteen novels under the pen name William Arden for the juvenile detective series The Three Investigators, which was originated by Robert Arthur, Jr.. Under this same name, he also wrote five novels featuring private eye Kane Jackson, a former military policeman wh
More about William Arden...

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)