Start by marking “Iron City” as Want to Read:
Iron City
Preview

Iron City

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Frank Kalinyak, disgraced ex-cop, returns to Pittsburgh, Pa., "Iron City," his hometown, from Tucson where he has been living a desperate existence since the death of his young daughter. He has been summoned home by Bobby Mack, an Assistant D.A., to find out who murdered an old high school friend. Kalinyak is swept into a whirlpool of bizarre killings, religious fanaticism ...more
Published November 2nd 2011 by White Whisker Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Iron City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron City

Marlana
Couldn't finish it...drags on and on.
Matt
This book started off really slow and boring (a lot of long reminiscing stuff for the main characters). But after about the 25% point it got interesting enough that I wanted to keep reading. It was a great book...until the ending and a kind of glaring plot hole. I've seen this happen before and though i liked most of the book, the ending just kind of ruined it a little.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

My problem with the ending is that the person who is revealed as the killer is two characters in the stor
Alle Wells
Frank Kalinyak is a lovable tough guy who has had some tough breaks. When Frank returns to Pittsburgh, Pa. for his 1966 high school class reunion, he immediately recognizes many changes in the Iron City since his childhood. After being forced into early retirement from the Tucson police force, the former boxer and the lonely cop has little to lose by taking his friend, Bobby, up on the offer to investigate the death of old classmate. Frank's bittersweet reunion with his old gang, the Huns, heats ...more
Maryann
Oct 04, 2011 Maryann rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maryann by: The Author
David Milton creates a realistic setting in and around Pittsburgh for Frank Kalinyak, a disgraced ex-cop, to come home to. Frank was one of the group of guys known as The Huns in high school and someone has started killing them off, one by one. Frank comes to "Iron City" at the request of Bobby Mack, one of The Huns who has grown up to become Assistant D.A.

While the mystery is paramount in the story, Kalinyak struggles with personal issues that include his grief over the loss of his daughter an
Chuck Briggs
This was so close to being a great book that I hate to ding it for one glaring and nearly fatal flaw.
First the good: An unusual and superbly realized background. David Scott Milton brilliantly captures the uniqueness of Pittsburgh, or at least how he forces us to imagine it. The supporting characters are nicely drawn. He gets the various local slangs and speech idioms down and there are beautifully reported anecdotes drawn from the characters lives, (scams used in the siding industry, for exampl
Lissette
Devastated by the loss of his daughter, Frank Kalinyak is summoned to his hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to attend his high school reunion. Every step he takes reminds him of his loss. Yet he can't let himself forget about the one thing that truly made him happy: his daughter.

While many are not that concerned with the death of a man he'd once called a friend, there are a select few who feel that there's more to the case than meets the eye. Bobby Mack, the assistant D.A., wants to acquire
Christopher
I'm such a fan of this book, I'm publishing it through my imprint, White Whisker Books. I never intended to build my little imprint any more, but, knowing David Scott Milton, I was able to read an early edition. With his agent having just retired, David was pondering again the whole process of publishing from the beginning: agent, editors, publishing houses, and so much waiting. His book was done. He wanted to get it out there.

I acted as his editor, and he ran with some of my suggestions, and he
Elyse
I received an ARC of this book through Goodreads. I really couldn't even get through it. I forced myself to read the first half or so, then skimmed the rest. I didn't find any action in the beginning - just the main character talking to others about his high school reunion (a very overused plot, by the way). The characters seemed thin to me, and I there was far too much sitting around and talking and not nearly enough action for a crime book.
Kaye
Dark, rather gritty, full of suspense. Well written with good characters. The only thing I didn't like was the use of nicknames, ie. Magpie, etc. that got very annoying after a while and didn't seem to fit with the seriousness of the book or the character. All in all though I enjoyed the book.
Maggie Reed
Iron City made me think. I need to take some time with a review of this one. It was incredibly heartbreaking, I felt a bit threatened at times, and even as long as it was, I found myself unable to stop reading easily. It took a couple of days.
Dj
An interesting book that takes a somewhat dark turn on the mystery aspect. It is well done and the aspect of the things we did as kids in school can come back and haunt us as adults is very well done.
I would recommend this for any fan of mysteries.
Dianne
Ho-hum...why did I bother to hang in with this? Repetitive, characters who were fairly unbelievable, references to long-ago high school friendships that telescoped what was coming. A bit silly, all in all.
Kennedy
I wanted to like this book, but way too much chatter. Just dragged on terribly. Not my cup of tea. And I had a huge problem with the plot, but don't want to give any spoilers for those who may want to read it.
Chris
I thought this was a decent book. I enjoyed the fact that it took place in my home town and also my wife went to school with the author.
Therese
Jun 15, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
$0.0
Slc-crk
Slc-crk marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Btutner
Btutner marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Paul Motsuk
Paul Motsuk marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Pat Mm
Pat Mm marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Dave Allen
Dave Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Justin Miller
Justin Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Becki
Becki marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Sonya L Moore
Sonya L Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Project Moses (Enzo Lee Mystery, #1)
  • Shocking True Story
  • Music From Beyond The Moon
  • Tainted Justice
  • Four D
  • Wax
  • Without A Hitch
  • Something Wicked
  • The K Street Killer (Jim McGill, #3)
  • Dangers Untold
  • No Cure For Murder
  • You Only Die Twice
  • Kill Town, USA
  • The First Christmas of the War
  • The Insiders: A Thriller
  • Kill Me Once
  • Too Close to Miss (Mara Cunningham Series, #1)
  • Black Oil, Red Blood
David Scott Milton was an early member of the avant-garde Theater Genesis, along with Sam Shepard, Leonard Melfi and Murray Mednick. He has had more than a dozen plays performed Off Off Broadway including "The Interrogation Room", "Halloween Mask", "The Metaphysical Cop", and "Scraping Bottom". "Scraping Bottom", under the title of "Born to Win", became the Czech director Ivan Passer's first Ameri ...more
More about David Scott Milton...
The Fat Lady Sings Kabbalah The Quarterback Paradise Road Duet: A Tragicomedy In One Act