Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)

Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Find the focus, energy, and drive you need to start--and finish--your bookEveryone has dreamed of writing a book, but so many start writing only to stall out due to writer's block, mental fatigue, and other challenges. "Write-A-Thon" helps you overcome those stumbling blocks and complete your book once and for all. And you don't have to type away for years on end. Here's a...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Writer's Digest Books (first published September 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Write-A-Thon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write-A-Thon

Mike
This is a very well written book of ideas, tips and process to write a book within 26 days (and survive). I will definitely read this book again as it is loaded with useful ideas, many of which have application broader than writing. Very well done!!

4.5 Stars
Jakenv
This belongs in every writers library. Not only does author give a clear concise plan for writing your book in short span of time but she provides all types of additional reference material. Found myself reading with clearer understanding of process for successful pursuit of writing career.
Rose
Rochelle Melander's "Write A Thon" is one of those books that I think is in general a great coaching and motivational guide to writing. It takes a psychological based approach to writing in that it examines barriers to the writer for why they are not as productive as they'd like to be, and addresses ways of moving past the blocks that may occur when writing a book.

Upon my first read of it, I lamented the fact that it's not really a sequential day-by-day approach to writing a novel like other gu...more
Birgit
A lot of people are participating in NaNoWriMo during the month of November, yet writing a book can be achieved any time. In Write-A-Thon Rochelle Melander suggests that everyone is capable of writing a book in 26 days.
Everyone who ever wanted to write a book but felt discouraged by countless reasons why it might not be such a good idea after all, will get the boost they need. This guide offers lots of advice, from writing tools and techniques to helpful exercises, but most of all, Rochelle enco...more
Niina
( Guest Blog & Giveaway (open till nov 17th) @ http://niinas-reading-and-reviewing.b... )

I have never come across book that lets you know how to get a novel out and not dance around it and your writing issues - that as effective as this!

I've got a Project Journal now, and a Story Bible! And I sort of had one before on some loose notes at the back of my drawer... ahem, just call me professional. But as I read this book it came naturally to get everything out and ready, and I was excited to do...more
Jocelyn Koehler
I didn't read Rochelle Melander's Write-A-Thon until after I finished my first novel. That's a shame, because the whole process would have been a lot easier! The book is a wonderful step-by-step guide that offers tips and encouragement without getting too rah-rah. And by the way, the book doesn’t advise writing a epic novel in 26 consecutive days. It’s really about finding 26 “work” days to write, while blocking in planning time and rest days during the process.

Melander knows that the process o...more
Krystal
Many people want to write a book, but few actually take a stab at it. Rochelle Melander gives the average person the tools, advice, and encouragement to write a book in 26 days and keep his/her sanity. "No Excuses" is a chapter early on in the book, Rochelle offers up counterarguments to each excuse given. The reader should be able to acknowledge the argument as sound and logical. This book holds not only writing tips, but little tidbits of wisdom that come from writing-the potential writer has...more
Linda
I have several shelves of writing books and this one is in the place of honor. Instead of being shelved it rests on top of the other books -- with the top higher than the bottom. Otherwise all the words would rush to the top and give me a headache. Rochelle Melander does a wonderful job getting you from point A to Z without "making" you do it her way. She gives you 3 or 4 ways to accomplish a task so you can successfully write your book YOUR way.
I've written a book in 90 days, but never 26. I p...more
Brian Bundesen
Great approach to writing projects. Gave a great, step by step, organized progression to preparing and writing. I'm implementing right now on my first project, and it's principles have been a great help.
Kimberly
Write-A-Thon is a useful guide for anyone heading into a fast, focused writing endeavor. Quick exercises prepare you for the big event as you stretch your writing muscles and plan your route. The advice is inspirational and easy to implement. It doesn't ask for too many details, so it doesn't sap your energy to get started by overplanning. But it does help you develop a realistic plan for what's ahead.

Each chapter has the perfect quote, and the final section consists of short motivational pieces...more
Hunter
Not really about running a writing marathon like NaNoWriMo, but for me - more about getting into the full mindset of a writer, using many helpful exercises ranging from a visualisation process, to setting up environmental routines for the writer's day.

The book jumps from process to mindset, to exercises, back to process, which I sometimes found jolted my learnings, and there is a long double index at the back.

But of the many writing craft books out there that I've read and studied, I can serio...more
Debra Brenegan
Rochelle Melander’s latest book is a gift to all of us who want to write a book. She takes the mystery out of the process, breaks the whole intimidating ordeal down into steps that anyone can handle. Using the metaphor of running a marathon, Melander aptly guides would-be authors through the training process and cheers them on all the way to the finish line. Loaded with examples, tips and down-to-earth strategies, this book is a must-have for anyone who dreams of really really writing that book...more
Rebekah
I bought this back in the heat of NaNo last November, but didn't pick it up until after two (or three?) write a book quickly guides. While I think this would be very motivational for someone who's looking for an impetus, I've kind of lost faith in the write it fast mentality and daily word counts. Sure, I'm able to drop 500 words in a twenty minute session, but I'd like to have a little more direction on plotting and revision.
Anne
Not much here in terms of tips that you can't find elsewhere. I thought it would help me with plotting so that I could get a book written in a short amount of time. But this is not a plotting book, more of a personal encouragement book saying that you can do it, but does not tell you how.
Angela
Excellent resource and go-to book for planning your attack for the big writing project you never quite got off the ground. Seriously considering this as a "textbook" for my Writing Fiction class next year.
Inspired Kathy
Oct 26, 2011 Inspired Kathy marked it as to-read
Author Interview & Book Giveaway:
Naftoli
It was okay.
xin bo zhao tzu
xin bo zhao tzu marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Tania Sofía
Tania Sofía marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Ashley Reid
Ashley Reid marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Help! For Writers: 210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
  • Relaxing the Writer: Guidebook to the Writer's High
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • Writing Alone and with Others
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
Rochelle Melander, the Write Now! Coach, is the author of 10 books, a certified professional coach, and a popular speaker. Melander teaches professionals how to write fast, get published, establish credibility, and navigate the new world of social media.

Rochelle's newest book Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (And Live to Tell About It) teaches writers how to train for and successfully con...more
More about Rochelle Melander...
A Generous Presence: Spiritual Leadership and the Art of Coaching The Spiritual Leader's Guide to Self-Care Dancing In The Aisle: Spiritual Lessons We've Learned From Children Our Lives Are Not Our Own: Saying "Yes" to God (Lutheran Voices) Generous Presence, A: Spiritual Leadership and the Art of Coaching