Start by marking “Loot and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Loot and Other Stories

Loot and Other Stories

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Masterly new fiction from the recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature

A startling new work: ten fictions, each a revelation of our interior lives, each entering unforeseen contexts of our contemporary world. In the title story, an earthquake exposes both an ocean bed strewn with treasure among the dead and the avarice of the town's survivors. In "The Diamond Mine," a wom
Published April 2nd 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 2003)

Jenny
Mar 18, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant series of gems from one of my favorite authors (and Nobel Prize winners). Her writing challenges the reader to look themselves in the eye when facing hard truths. She manages to get her points across (on morality, racism, honesty, loyalty) without being preachy; her firm stance on equality in all areas of life comes through in the lives of such real-seeming characters. Her flowing, gentle style is a pleasing contrast to the hard topics she brings to the reader. I'm so grateful ...more
Abby Frucht
Feb 17, 2013 Abby Frucht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took this book out of the library the other day only to discover that I had read it a decade ago when it first came out, albeit at a difficult time in my life. Still, I can't believe the extent to which I had forgotten even the existence of these stories, which I love for their personal reserve, their political drama, their conveyance of the intricacies of racism and sexism, their utter respect for the inexorability of mind and body. The story Mission Statement is astonishing; if you want just ...more
Diana Skelton
Nov 01, 2015 Diana Skelton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
"The reflection of the moon seeped through the endless insubstantial surface, silence inundated this place he had brought me to; the village existed out there no more that it had ever done for me when I had never sat in its square, never eaten under the glass eyes of timid beasts killed in its chestnut forests and mountains, or sat in the shade of its surviving mulberry tree."

"It was scarcely worth noticing at first; an out-of-work lying under one of the rare indigenous shrubs cultivated by the
Nicole
Jan 25, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book probably deserves 5 stars, and it's my fault for attempting to read it while really tired and parenting 4 children. Gordimer's writing reminds me a bit of Atwood's in that it makes me feel kind of unintelligent. I was very drawn to many of the stories, but ended more than a few feeling as though I'd missed something essential. Totally my own fault, not the fault of the author.
Alison
Feb 03, 2010 Alison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've started the book and was intrigued with the first few pages. Yet the stream of consciousness style writing left me feeling dizzy and confused when combined with South African politics and politicians. I will move on to the next short story in the series and see how it goes...
Lisa
Jun 09, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unsettling and brilliant. Gordimer proves her genius in the utter economy and spareness of her prose, razor sharp and lucid. This book is also important on a moral and ethical level: no easy answers in post-apartheid South Africa, no simple delineation of heroes and villains....
Kate
Jun 07, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: colonizers and the colonized
Recommended to Kate by: Sister Pat
Shelves: short-stories
"It's easier for the former masters to put aside the masks that hid their humanity than for the former slaves to recognise the faces underneath. Or to trust that this is not a new mask these are wearing."

"Death is a blank mirror, emptied of all it has seen and shown."
Samara
I took this one backpacking because it's skinny and I was pleasantly surprised. I prefer Gordimer's novels ("None to Accompany Me" is an all time favorite)but some of these stories kept me and my headlamp up late enough to see stars, which is a while in the Sierras!
saptarishi sen
till date i have read only few of the stories , author being a nobel prize winner definitely has a complete diff. genre from the conventional writers . Recommended for those who needs a change in their taste bud :)
Sean de la Rosa
Nice to read something from her that doesn't just cover apartheid. Her story on karma at the end of the book is extremely well written.
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
Had difficult time getting through the stories. The author has a clipped style of writing that I did not enjoy reading.
Tuck
Apr 28, 2010 Tuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good short story collection for any gordimer fan. south africa is melting, and you get to watch.
Lisa
Jan 23, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful short stories from/about South Africa and the ongoing effect of the past
Sean
Dec 13, 2007 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last story "Karma" I read twice and still think about it. Wonderful throughout.
Shane
Dec 22, 2008 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sharp and incisive writing. Overuse of the em dash sometimes, I thought.
Rosemary
A couple of really good stories wedged between a few groaners.
Linnie Campbell
Jan 26, 2010 Linnie Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would suggest reading this book if you enjoy short stoies.
Sabine Webb
Dec 22, 2012 Sabine Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories.
Ellice
Ellice added it
Feb 06, 2016
Frank Torres
Frank Torres marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Ishan Nag
Ishan Nag marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Ranjan Kaul
Ranjan Kaul rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Camie
Camie added it
Jan 21, 2016
Elmer Gomez
Elmer Gomez marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Marielle Smith
Marielle Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Billy Duke
Billy Duke rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
  • The Verificationist
  • Respected Sir, Wedding Song, The Search
  • Gods and Soldiers: The Penguin Anthology of Contemporary African Writing
  • The Foreign Legion
Nadine Gordimer was a South African writer, political activist and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Prize in Literature. She was recognized as a woman "who through her magnificent epic writing has – in the words of Alfred Nobel – been of very great benefit to humanity".

Gordimer's writing dealt with moral and racial issues, particularly apartheid in South Africa. Under that regime, works such as Burger'
More about Nadine Gordimer...

“It's easier for the former masters to put aside the masks that hid their humanity than for the former slaves to recognise the faces underneath. Or to trust that this is not a new mask these are wearing.” 8 likes
“If I dreamt this, while walking, walking in the London streets, the subconscious of each and every other life, past and present, brushing me in passing, what makes it real? Writing it down.” 4 likes