The Wild Wood Enquiry

The Wild Wood Enquiry (Ivy Beasley Mystery #3)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In a brand-new mystery from the author of The Measby Murder Enquiry, the cantankerous golden years gumshoe Ivy Beasley keeps her mental faculties sharp with a strict regimen of crime detection.Apart from the unwelcome noise made by the morning cleaning crew, life has been quiet at Springfields Home for the Elderly. Too quiet, in fact. Ivy and her team of sleuths, Enquire W...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Wood Enquiry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Wood Enquiry

Georgia Reader
The lack of compelling characters or plot makes this a disappointing addition to the series. It just is not in the least plausible. Some of Ann Purser's earlier stories were written with deeply crafted characters with engaging plots and insights to village life. This does not meet that standard, sadly. It does serve in a small way to advance the Ivy/Roy romance saga towards marriage. There are glaring inconsistencies, though. Through out the Ivy books, back to her origins in the Round Ringford s...more
Susan
Miriam and Rose find a severed hand in the woods, but by the time the police get there, it's gone. The police believe that it's a prank, or that the two women are hysterical. Meanwhile, Miriam's neighbor Gus is having problems with his conniving ex-wife. There's another man who seems involved with her. Miriam hires Gus and his three friends, Ivy Beasley, her cousin Deirdre, and her fiance Roy to investigate the hand in the woods. The plot isn't too clear-cut, but the characters are enjoyable.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I like this gentle cozy mystery series. It is written with humor, a good sensible mystery or more, and a touch of romance for sizzle. The fact that the characters are of a 'certain age,' makes it unique.

There is a lack of cases at the Springfields Luxury Retirement Home for the home business of "Enquire Within." To keep things going along, the four partners, Ivy, Roy, Gus, and Deirdre reluctantly accept a case of a missing kitten for the local store keeper.

Quickly though, another more challengin...more
Yeva
The plot that never thickened should have been the title of this book. It went nowhere...slowly. I usually like everything by Ms. Purser, but this book was about nothing. There was a murder, but it was so lame. Was it a murder? Was it something else? By then, I couldn't have cared less. And then there was the whole severed hand thing. Really? The unsevered hand...right, I just spoiled it. But I didn't, because the story does that all on its on. Finally, I got to the end of this story, and it pet...more
Lynn Lerch
Enquire Within a detective agency run by two people who live in a elderly care home and their two friends who live in the village have been looking for lost cats. Gus (lives in the village)is threatening to return to writing his memoirs. Gus' ex-wife appears and wants him to hide her. Then she disappears. A neighbor of Gus' searches in the woods and believes she saw a hand but the police don't find it when they go into the woods.By the end everything is solved and the friends are the heroes. Ann...more
Elizabeth
I thought this book was a well-written, well plotted cozy mystery set in an English village. I liked the fact that all the investigators were senior citizens. I enjoyed the animals Tiddles and Whippy and didn't really figure out all the answers to the mystery until the end of the book. I read this for my mystery book club, and a couple other members did not share my esteem for the book. They found the setting unrealistic and the tone of the book somewhat off-putting.
Wilde Sky
A team of amateur detectives working out of old people’s home investigate the appearance of a “severed hand”.

Not a bad story with reasonable characters, but the pace was too slow for me.

If you like quaint mysteries you may enjoy this book.
Arlene
I enjoyed the first of the Enquire Within mysteries but this one was slow going and by the end, I just wanted it to be over. Maybe Ivy and Roy's wedding will perk up the next book in this series.
Carol Heiss
This is the first book in the Ivy Beasley series that I've read. I enjoy the author's Lois Meade mystery series very much. This book was OK but not up to the author's usual standards.
Plainfield Public Library District
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Diane
The mystery seemed to get lost in the story line, but still a nice book to read
Kathie
Love this series and the characters. Great fun.
Eileen
I just finished this book. loved it.
Vicky
More loose ends.
Katie
great book
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Linda B
Linda B marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 24, 2014
Donna Khan taylor
Donna Khan taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Linda C
Linda C marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Irene Parisi
Irene Parisi marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ann Purser lives in the East Midlands, in a small and attractive village which still has a village shop, a garage, pub and church. Here she finds her inspiration for her novels about country life. She has only to do her daily shopping down the High Street to listen to the real life of the village going on around her.

Before turning to fiction, she had a number of different careers, including journa...more
More about Ann Purser...
Murder On Monday Terror on Tuesday Weeping on Wednesday Theft on Thursday Fear on Friday