Start by marking “The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics” as Want to Read:
The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics

The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  19 reviews
An astonishing cast of more than ninety renowned writers provides thoughtful and lucid reflections on some of the major scientific topics of our time-from black holes and galaxies to artificial intelligence and chaos theory. Featuring essays, articles, and poems penned by notables in the worlds of both science and literature, this unique book will delight the science enthu ...more
Published April 25th 1991 by Little, Brown US (first published 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics

Fortunr

This book delivers a nice collection of short works by some of the most eminent physicists, astronomers and mathematicians of recent times.

Some essays (particularly in the astronomy/cosmology part) are necessarily a bit dated (given that the book was published in the early 90's, even before the so-called "dark energy" was "discovered") but even in this area there are brilliant, short articles written by Hawking, Sagan, and Penrose.

In the area of mathematics, there are beautiful essays by Alfred
Gary
Interesting peek at how we saw the universe of the big and the small before 1990. The first half, the physics and cosmology part was the best. In the math sections it started losing my interest, Chaos Theory never really did meet its hype that the 80s promised and AI is more real than imagined. As with all essay type books there is some incoherence between the essays. Having one essay of Popper juxtaposed with one by Kuhn will only lead to confusion.
Geoffrey Irvin
How it would be possible to rate this collection of essays less than 5 stars I'm not sure. Ferris has assembled one of the best selection of science writing on the subjects of 20th century physics, astronomy and maths that I have ever come across. The ordering is logical and comprehensive, and the essays are by the best authorities and communicators in each field assembled. The broad themes are explorations of Relativity, Quantum mechanics, Astrophysics, Game theory, Chaos, science biography, po ...more
Jonathan
Dec 03, 2010 Jonathan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scientifically minded readers
Shelves: non-fiction
This collection is actually the second of the “World Treasury” series that I’ve encountered; I’ve also got the science fiction collection which I will review when I get it back from the friend to whom I loaned it (not his fault; there’s a lot there to read). The goal behind creating a world treasury, states the series editor, is to introduce (presumably mainly American) readers to worthy and enduring works in the chosen subject from all over the world, not only those from the more classical can ...more
Jeff
Take a tour of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics by reading this prodigious anthology of essays. From luminaries such as Einstein, Popper, Feynman and Hawking to lesser known, but equally enlightening, authors, these short treatises explore the physical nature of reality around us. Part one deals with Physics; part two with Astronomy; part three with Mathematics and the forth part with biographies, poetry and meditations on the nature of science itself.

This is not a book you sit down with and r
William Schram
Very good. A large collection of works that cover astronomy, mathematics and physics. From "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom" to the one about the Coastline of Britain, there is plenty of material to keep you busy.
Ionaton
Feb 15, 2015 Ionaton rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a friend
Shelves: unsorted
An enjoyable educational read.
Michael
This is a very good collection of essays. The science and math sections are accessible and interesting. The play with the different ideas that are challenging scientists. My personal favorite was the essay speculating a second sun in a distant for our solar system and explaining how it effects gravitation pulls. This is just one of several essays that are really quite good.
Mitchell Szczepanczyk
Mar 08, 2007 Mitchell Szczepanczyk rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, science and math fans
I once joked that if I could marry a book, this would be the one I married. It surveys a wide area, but in such a way that is deeply detailed but never overwhelming, and you can practically pick up any point in the book, dive right in, and enjoy.
Samuel
Jul 19, 2008 Samuel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hard core science lovers
Good solid collection of geeky science stuff, I especially enjoy the astronomy section. This isn't a cover to cover read, but when I'm in the mood to read some science articles it doesn't disappoint.
Dimitri
dibeliin saat masih smp kelas 1...membuat kepala mo pecah saat baca pertama kali...sampe sekarang belum bisa ngerti semua isinya. jika ada yg berminat saya bersedia berikan / swap buku.
Frank
Best collection out there on the subject for both the amateur enthusiast and the seasoned scientist.
Ewa
the "holy book" of the third millennium, the trailer of the grandest narrative known to humanity so far
Joanna
Fascinating articles, truly a pleasure to read.
Ross
This is my favorite collection of essays.
Brady
Definite "desert island" book contender.
Jim Townsend
Extremely informative but very long.
Nica  Noelle
Huge book; a wealth of information.
Leith
Great compendium of selected works.
Cws
Apr 17, 2008 Cws added it
500.2
Raunak
Raunak marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Guy Guinness
Guy Guinness is currently reading it
Pradheap Alagarsamy
Pradheap Alagarsamy marked it as to-read
Chris Lee
Chris Lee marked it as to-read
Ali Al-Mansoori
Ali Al-Mansoori marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Chinnu
Chinnu marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The Origin Of The Universe
  • Western Philosophy
  • The Last Three Minutes: Conjectures About The Ultimate Fate Of The Universe
  • Deconstruction: Theory and Practice
  • Quintessence The Search For Missing Mass In The Universe
  • The Debate on the Constitution : Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification, Part Two: January to August 1788 (Library of America)
  • The End of Time : The Next Revolution in Our Understanding of the Universe
4220886
Timothy Ferris is the author of a dozen books (most recently The Science of Liberty), plus 200 articles and essays, and three documentary films—"The Creation of the Universe," “Life Beyond Earth,” and “Seeing in the Dark”—seen by over 20 million viewers.

Ferris produced the Voyager phonograph record, an artifact of human civilization containing music and sounds of Earth launched aboard the twin Voy
More about Timothy Ferris...
Coming of Age in the Milky Way The Whole Shebang: A State-of-the-Universe(s) Report The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason and the Laws of Nature Seeing in the Dark: How Amateur Astronomers Are Discovering the Wonders of the Universe The Red Limit