Start by marking “The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics” as Want to Read:
The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics

The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  361 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
An astonishing cast of more than ninety renowned writers provides thoughtful and lucid reflections on some of the major scientific topics of our time-from black holes and galaxies to artificial intelligence and chaos theory. Featuring essays, articles, and poems penned by notables in the worlds of both science and literature, this unique book will delight the science enthu ...more
Published April 25th 1991 by Little, Brown US (first published 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics

Fortunr
Jan 26, 2015 Fortunr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book delivers a nice collection of short works by some of the most eminent physicists, astronomers and mathematicians of recent times.

Some essays (particularly in the astronomy/cosmology part) are necessarily a bit dated (given that the book was published in the early 90's, even before the so-called "dark energy" was "discovered") but even in this area there are brilliant, short articles written by Hawking, Sagan, and Penrose.

In the area of mathematics, there are beautiful essays by Alfred
Gary
May 08, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting peek at how we saw the universe of the big and the small before 1990. The first half, the physics and cosmology part was the best. In the math sections it started losing my interest, Chaos Theory never really did meet its hype that the 80s promised and AI is more real than imagined. As with all essay type books there is some incoherence between the essays. Having one essay of Popper juxtaposed with one by Kuhn will only lead to confusion.
Geoffrey Irvin
Feb 09, 2016 Geoffrey Irvin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
How it would be possible to rate this collection of essays less than 5 stars I'm not sure. Ferris has assembled one of the best selection of science writing on the subjects of 20th century physics, astronomy and maths that I have ever come across. The ordering is logical and comprehensive, and the essays are by the best authorities and communicators in each field assembled. The broad themes are explorations of Relativity, Quantum mechanics, Astrophysics, Game theory, Chaos, science biography, po ...more
Jonathan
Dec 03, 2010 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scientifically minded readers
Shelves: non-fiction
This collection is actually the second of the “World Treasury” series that I’ve encountered; I’ve also got the science fiction collection which I will review when I get it back from the friend to whom I loaned it (not his fault; there’s a lot there to read). The goal behind creating a world treasury, states the series editor, is to introduce (presumably mainly American) readers to worthy and enduring works in the chosen subject from all over the world, not only those from the more classical can ...more
Jeff
Oct 29, 2007 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Take a tour of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics by reading this prodigious anthology of essays. From luminaries such as Einstein, Popper, Feynman and Hawking to lesser known, but equally enlightening, authors, these short treatises explore the physical nature of reality around us. Part one deals with Physics; part two with Astronomy; part three with Mathematics and the forth part with biographies, poetry and meditations on the nature of science itself.

This is not a book you sit down with and r
William Schram
Very good. A large collection of works that cover astronomy, mathematics and physics. From "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom" to the one about the Coastline of Britain, there is plenty of material to keep you busy.
Paul  McCartney
Jun 23, 2016 Paul McCartney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
these topics interest me much because it contains the information of the constellations and their mathematical calculations
Sita Harris
Feb 08, 2016 Sita Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read or not to read? .... READ ! you will come out richer ...
Ionaton
Feb 15, 2015 Ionaton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a friend
Shelves: unsorted
An enjoyable educational read.
Michael
Mar 20, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
This is a very good collection of essays. The science and math sections are accessible and interesting. The play with the different ideas that are challenging scientists. My personal favorite was the essay speculating a second sun in a distant for our solar system and explaining how it effects gravitation pulls. This is just one of several essays that are really quite good.
Mitchell Szczepanczyk
Mar 08, 2007 Mitchell Szczepanczyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, science and math fans
I once joked that if I could marry a book, this would be the one I married. It surveys a wide area, but in such a way that is deeply detailed but never overwhelming, and you can practically pick up any point in the book, dive right in, and enjoy.
Samuel
Jul 19, 2008 Samuel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: hard core science lovers
Good solid collection of geeky science stuff, I especially enjoy the astronomy section. This isn't a cover to cover read, but when I'm in the mood to read some science articles it doesn't disappoint.
Dimitri
May 07, 2010 Dimitri rated it it was ok
Shelves: referensi, sains
dibeliin saat masih smp kelas 1...membuat kepala mo pecah saat baca pertama kali...sampe sekarang belum bisa ngerti semua isinya. jika ada yg berminat saya bersedia berikan / swap buku.
Frank
Apr 29, 2012 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astrophysics
Best collection out there on the subject for both the amateur enthusiast and the seasoned scientist.
Ewa
Sep 10, 2007 Ewa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
the "holy book" of the third millennium, the trailer of the grandest narrative known to humanity so far
Joanna
Fascinating articles, truly a pleasure to read.
Ross
Jun 25, 2012 Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite collection of essays.
Brady
Mar 23, 2011 Brady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definite "desert island" book contender.
Jim Townsend
Nov 23, 2012 Jim Townsend rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely informative but very long.
Nica  Noelle
Sep 15, 2008 Nica Noelle rated it really liked it
Huge book; a wealth of information.
Leith
Jul 23, 2012 Leith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great compendium of selected works.
Cws
Arc
Arc rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Sydney Johnson
Sydney Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Dinko
Dinko marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Christopher Goins
Christopher Goins marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Henry
Henry added it
Jun 19, 2016
Kelsey Capps
Kelsey Capps marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The Origin Of The Universe
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • Physics for Poets
  • Two New Sciences: Including Centers Of Gravity And Force Of Percussion
  • In Search of the Edge of Time: Black Holes, White Holes, Wormholes
  • God and the New Physics
  • Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics from the First Numbers to Chaos Theory
  • Eureka!: 81 Key Ideas Explained
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • Quantum Reality
  • The Universe Next Door: The Making of Tomorrow's Science
  • Wrinkles in Time
  • Einstein's Universe
  • The Accelerating Universe: Infinite Expansion, the Cosmological Constant, and the Beauty of the Cosmos
  • Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy
  • The Arrow of Time
  • Catholicism: New Study Edition--Completely Revised and Updated
4220886
Timothy Ferris is the author of a dozen books (most recently The Science of Liberty), plus 200 articles and essays, and three documentary films—"The Creation of the Universe," “Life Beyond Earth,” and “Seeing in the Dark”—seen by over 20 million viewers.

Ferris produced the Voyager phonograph record, an artifact of human civilization containing music and sounds of Earth launched aboard the twin Voy
More about Timothy Ferris...