Start by marking “Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)” as Want to Read:
Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)

Birthday Party Murder (Lucy Stone #9)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,001 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
The whole town of Tinker’s Cove is looking forward to the celebration marking former librarian Julia Ward Howe Tilley’s ninetieth birthday. Lucy Stone, Miss Tilley’s closest friend, dreamed up the party idea—at about the same time she decided she’s not getting old without a fight.

That sounds like a plan—until Lucy realizes her daughter’s fourteenth birthday bash, a coed sl
Published December 1st 2008 by Kensington (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Birthday Party Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birthday Party Murder

Lucy and friends decide to throw Miss Tilley a birthday party for her 90th birthday. At the same time, a local attorney appears to have committed suicide, but his business party doesn't believe it and asks Lucy to investigate it. Meanwhile, she is struggling with life and getting older as well as her daughter wanting co-ed slumber parties and her son struggling in college. Lucy never can say no - a habit that has made me want to shake her many times throughout this series. Yet she is very likeab ...more
These books seem like odd ducks. There definitely cozy mysteries, but they're more than that too. It's not even as much about the mystery sometimes as it is about Lucy and her trying to have children of multiple ages and make her sleuthing work with the schedules. I'm honestly invested in how this family turns out, and that's something to say when I usually don't like he cozy character archetypes.

That said, there are some darker tones in this book. Elder abuse and aging plays a big role, as well
Diane Morasco
Apr 09, 2011 Diane Morasco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library, mystery, cozy
The charismatic natives of charming Tinker's Cove, Maine are energized over celebrating Miss Tilley's ninetieth birthday. While the townsfolk are preparing for the retired librarian's festivities, news about the death of affable attorney Sherman Cobb casts a cinereal shadow.

Despite Detective Horowitz's ruling of an apparent suicide, Cobb's partner Bob Goodman believes foul play is involved. He turns to winsome Lucy Stone to investigate Sherman's untimely demise.

Birthday Party Murder is Ms. Meier
Tabby Kat
Believable and lovable characters, notably nonagenarian-to-be Julia Ward Howe Tilley (who wears "twinkling" sneakers), add freshness to a familiar story line in Meier's ninth mystery (after 2001's Wedding Day Murder) featuring Lucy Stone, wife, mom, part-time reporter and amateur sleuth. After a cold and cloudy March in quaint Tinker Cove, Maine, the sun is finally shining as Lucy joins her four friends for their weekly breakfast at Jake's Donut Shack. To fight the doldrums and to honor Miss Til ...more
Mar 25, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murky and suspenseful read from the pen of Leslie Meier! This one will have you on the edge of your seat! Lucy Stone and Miss Tilley one of Tinker Cove's oldest residents find themselves in danger. Will Lucy figure out who murdered Sherman Cobb the lawyer in time to save herself and Miss Tilley from the murderer? Lucy has her full-time reporting job, her husband and daughters need her and her son is phoning home from college in need of guidance, her best friend is expecting her to help plan M ...more
Gary E
Feb 19, 2016 Gary E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best of the series so far

I always say that once you get past book 4 or so in a series there is little that anyone can say to convince you to read the next book any sooner or any later than you planned on before finishing the current book in the series.

Well in this case read this immediately after finishing book 8. This is one of the best stories in the series thus far and it is well worth putting a rush on to get this next in your to read queue!

I do not like giving away any plot poin
Jan 17, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The whole town of Tinker's Cove is looking forward to the celebration of the town's oldest former librarian Julia Ward Howe Tilley's 90th birthday. Lucy Stone, Miss Tilley's closest friend dreamed up a party idea at about the same time she decided not to grow old without a fight. That sounds like a plan,until Lucy realizes her daughter's 14th birthday bash,a coed sleepover,may turn hair white overnight. What was she thinking? Obviously,she wasn't thinking, because on ...more
Mar 05, 2014 Luffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last this series gets a second book that reached 5 stars. It was long due in coming. I have a great fondness for the style and rythm, and class of this series. This book is one of the strong 5 star earners. It's right there among the best books I've ever read. The interaction between the Stone family members may have looked ordinary if adapted onscreen, but in book medium it's absolutely brilliant. The murder, obligatory ingredient that it is, is solved, but it's not the main attraction in th ...more

It's been a while since I've visited Tinker's Cove, Maine. Everyone is excited about the upcoming surprise party for the town's oldest resident, Mrs. Tilly, who recently discovered she has a niece. Aside from that, not much has changed in the small New England town. Someone (Sherman Cobb, who was recently diagnosed with cancer) turns up dead. The police think it was a suicide, so there is no investigation. Thanks to Lucy Stone's meddling and amateur sleuthing, however, not only do we find out
Nov 03, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Cute and enjoyable cozy mystery. Has some of the elements I've come to despise in cozies - the heroine who is not a professional, but investigates murders because she has in the past and seems to do it better then actual law enforcement professionals. She also find herself in a perilous and deadly situation - as most cozy heroines seem to do.

However, she is more level headed that most cozy heroines and doesn't seem to neglect her real life duties and jobs as much as most cozy heroines seem to d
Sep 23, 2013 Fmorlan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Stone lives in Tinkers Cove in Maine. she has become a reporter with a reputation of solving murders. This book celebrates Miss Tilley at 90. But when the partner in the local law firm is found dead, she is asked to look into it as they dont believe its suicide. Also Miss Tilley's long lost niece shows up adding to the conflicts. Lots of things going on but not as many suspects. Lucy does her best with Bill out of commission from a fall and sara's coed sleep over, and issues with Toby. enjo ...more
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy and her friends are planning a birthday party for the oldest citizen and former librarian. While this happens Lucy also looks for the truth behind the death of the oldest lawyer in town Sherman Cox, Ms. Tilley's half-brother who was adopted by another couple who were friends of her father's. Lucy stumbles upon many strange occurences and she and her husband both end up having to convalesce - he from falling through a window while rehabing a barn for occupancy and she from being shot.
Jun 09, 2013 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope this one is better than the last 8. Oh well it's a short book. 4% in and all the women are doing is complaining about aging. Shut up already! It looks like there will be a murder and another Julia Tilley subplot. 17% in and I truly despise Bill. What can I say besides the fact he is a complete arse? 23% in I know it dang it. The murder victim is Julia's long lost nephew. There is someone else they are related to who wants Julia's estate when she dies? Perhaps?
Kim j
Apr 13, 2013 Kim j rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meier
This one was fairly enjoyable. If I sound surprised it is because I am. Most of her books are not that great and even border on bad, including bad parenting. This book was written with thought and instead of constant complaining it actually told stories about one of its characters that was fascinating! Yes, Lucy is an overwhelmed mother who has a jackass for a husband and these stories lower women so I cannot give it ALL stars but the books have improved so I will read the next one.
Dec 06, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Tilly will be turning 90 soon and the town wants to give her a birthday party. Sarah, Lucy's middle school age daughter catches her mom in a distracted moment and gets her to agree to a coed sleepover, and Lucy is playing nurse to her husband Bill who fell through a window on a job site. All this is adding up to a very worn out Lucy who is also trying to find a killer and prove to the police that it was not a suicide.
Feb 22, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
I enjoy this series - not sure how I missed reading this one but it came as a surprising treat to find it on library shelves. Lucy Stone is a great character - seems realistic. I find myself at home with her - it is impossible to thaw something in the microwave without cooking the edge isn't it? Fun, relaxing read.
Rich Bisanz
Oct 05, 2015 Rich Bisanz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my eight Leslie Meier book and I love them all. As you read the books in order you get to know her family, friends the people of Tinker Cove. The murders are always original and interesting. My wife has begun to read these also.
Jul 16, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do like mysteries that involve secrets from the past. That said, the murderer was pretty obvious early on but you don't read this series for the mysteries alone but also for the development of the relationships among recurring characters.
May 01, 2008 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A little bit better than some of the others, but it's still just a light read. I don't know whether I'm liking Meier's mixing of social issues of the day with her plot lines or not. Probably need a break from the series.
This was the only book in the series that I had not read because I could not find. It was kind of weird reading it after reading the new ones that the kids were older. I always enjoy the stories and the time I get to spend with Lucy and her family.
Apr 08, 2016 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A good book that kept me reading. I would've liked it more though if there hadnt been so much going on. And I was very bothered with the elderly abuse storyline. Its sad that stuff like that happens, so I dont want to read about it.
Jim Sampson
Jul 29, 2011 Jim Sampson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read in this fun to read series. I enjoy lucy and her family. Tinker cove residents add charm to the series. Pick this one up and enjoy the story.
Mar 15, 2015 Believeit2seeit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Wow, amateur slueth Lucy Stone sure went through a lot of troubles in this book. The mystery in this book wasn't as gripping as usual, but overall it was still a fun read.
Aug 15, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book. What life brings to the heroine,Lucy Stone,is truly amazing. Can not wait to read another book by Leslie Meier.
Jul 19, 2010 Dee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My first Leslie Meier book.
Nothing of substance or anything to sink your teeth into.

There are more Lucy Stone books if anyone is interested. It didn't appeal to me that much, though.
I like Lucy because see seems real. She has arguments and makes mistakes just like the rest of us. She doesn't have the perfect life but loves what she has.
Jan 31, 2016 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book, as usual. Of course, I'm a sucker for cozy mysteries!! This one is really close to my heart because I love Miss Tilley and the story really centers around her.
Not a bad story although I would have liked it to be a little more suspenseful or have had more plot twists.
Aug 26, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
Another good entry in the series. There were some parts of the plot that were kind of easy to figure out but it was still a fun read.
Apr 09, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Stone is additive. I really like reading about her discovering and solving murders in her town of Timker's Cove, Maine.
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
  • Weddings Are Murder (Susan Henshaw, #11)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11)

“minnie balls” 0 likes
“I want that at my funeral,” said Pam. “I want to be carried out on the shoulders of six stalwart young men. Preferably in loincloths.” 0 likes