Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)

Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  3,226 ratings  ·  285 reviews
Winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel

From a new master of horror comes an apocalyptic showdown between the residents of a secluded, rural town and the deadly evil that confronts them wherever they turn . . .

Evil Doesn't Die

The cozy little town of Pine Deep buried the horrors of its past a long time ago. Thirty years have gone by since the darkness descen

Mass Market Paperback, 472 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Pinnacle

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
147th out of 1,126 books — 3,364 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
122nd out of 789 books — 1,008 voters

More lists with this book...

Lou
Three criminals arrive to Pine Deep, one of them is more sinister than the rest, a wanted Killer! Is that all the evil that lurks in Pine Deep? No!
This is a dark atmospheric supernatural thriller. I can see why Maberry was awarded the Bram Stoker award for this, he's a great writer really immerses you in the blood pulsing thrill, a real page-turner. The story plays out like an episode of Supernatural. I am hooked, line and sinker!
He's developed a really good protagonist and characters like The...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
The last thing Billy said was, “Oh, come on…there’s nothing out there.”
And then two sets of bone-white hands arched over the slat rails on the wagon and seized him by the shoulders and the collar and dragged him screaming into the darkness.

These, the opening lines of Ghost Road Blues, more or less set the tone for the rest of the novel. It’s a bit of a doozy, actually. Maberry juggles a number of different horror conventions here, both supernatural and natural. All of these converge on a single...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Ghost Road Blues was a great book to read during the month of October, as part of my 4th Annual October Scare fest. I love that spooky mood that comes along with the fall, when the days get shorter, the nights longer, and the weather cooler (hopefully).

Although this novel was very good, and well-written, I have to put in in the 'liked fairly well' as opposed to 'loved or really liked' category.

Let's talk about the stuff that didn't quite work for me:
*I think that this story depends a bit too...more
Bill
This is the first Jonathan Maberry novel I've read, and judging from the ratings of his later novels, he gets better as he goes.
That's a really good thing, because Ghost Road Blues was pretty good.
In fact, through most of this novel, I was very jacked about this guy.

I had been looking over my to-read list in the hopes of finding something to satisfy my October horror cravings. Not only did it deliver, but it was also set around Halloween. Perfect!

For most of this novel, Maberry drives forth with...more
Kimberley Meier
I recently came across an author I really like, Jonathan Maberry. The first book I read was Patient Zero (review & giveaway coming soon) and I was hooked. I decided to read his Pine Deep trilogy. The first book, Ghost Road Blues, introduces you to Pine Deep, Pennsylvania, which is known as "The Spookiest Town in America." Pine Deep seems like a quaint , tourist town which thrives on the Halloween season, but it has a dark, evil history.

Jonathan Maberry uses a vibrant cast of characters and a...more
David
Jun 08, 2013 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wannabe action hero comic book nerds, people who think Stephen King is too scary
This book was kind of like Diet Stephen King: no calories, half the flavor. Jonathan Maberry apparently scripts comic books too, and that was apparent in the melodramatic prose and the prolonged fight scenes in Ghost Road Blues.

Thirty years ago, the small town of Pine Deep was victimized by a serial killer in what became known as the Black Harvest. A bunch of redneck cops killed the man they believed responsible, an itinerant black guitar-player known only as "the Bone Man," but in fact the Bone...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I started this book and some of my friends like it. When I was asked early on how I liked it I said it was okay so far but not great. When I said this other readers chimed in and said, "I loved this book, couldn't put down the series".

Well I can...sorry folks. If you like this I'm as always happy you found a book or books you like. For me this hit several of my hot buttons for dislike and finally pushed me completely away.

First this is for the majority of the book more a crime story with superna...more
Randolph Carter
Excellent novel in the King/McCammon horror camp. Seemingly disparate multiple threads are nicely woven together eventually to bring the book to a "conclusion." Oops, sorry it is a dreaded series (Pine Deep) book and there are two more novels after this, so what I thought was a nice compact little novel, isn't and nothing except the body count is resolved and even that isn't certain. Well anyway, this one was good as long as you don't care what happens next.

The problem is I think this is going t...more
Al
Ghost Road Blues was a really bad book. It was cheesy, sexist, cliche, boring and didn't even start until it set up a sequel a few chapters from the end. You could read any one sentence and immediately know this book was written by a man, making the author much too visible throughout the story.

The women like to faint and scream, and the men like to either beat the women or be the prince charming protector (Depending on whether they're a good guy or not, and trust me, it's easy to tell--because e...more
Alondra
5 Stars!!

Well, wwell, well... murder in a small town. Kinda cliche' isn't it? I mean everyone writes about it, and it gives a good story. I think Mr. Maberry writing it, makes it a great story. A nice twist on small town murder and mayhem. It is about the darkness. The evil that resides there. The devil down the street that everyone pretends is not there. People willing to live in a cocoon and pretend everything is all right. We will cover it up, ignore it and .... it will go away? No, no; evil...more
Edward Lorn
Fuck this narrator. I'm done.

El Galan
Sep 13, 2008 El Galan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Horror and The Supernatural along with Action/Adventure
Recommended to El Galan by: No one, I found this book all by myself.
Victoria
Yowza! What an exciting book! And what an intricate set-up! I am VERY glad that this trilogy is complete now that I am reading it - I don't know that I could have waited. The book was very exciting. The only thing that bothered me was the book's tendency towards redundancy. I suppose that a slower-reader, or someone with a poor memory would not notice, or would maybe even be grateful for the reminders present throughout. That aside, I am VERY interested to see where this trilogy is going!
Traci
Had to give up half way through. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for horror. But I found it full to bursting with most horror tropes active today. Reminded me of a made for syfy movie. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing so if you're into that...
I thought the writing lacked focus and I got a little lost with trying to keep all the lines separate. The reason why I finally gave up though had to do with the victimization of the helpless. Just not for me.
Gatorman
I really enjoyed this book, my first by Maberry. It was very well written with terrific charecters and a creepy plot that holds you to the end and makes you want to pick the next one up right away. The main bad guy, Karl Ruger, is very nasty and very funny at the same time. Looking forward to reading more about him in the next books. Highly recommended.
Jason
4.5 Stars

This is my second Maberry novel, Patient Zero being the first that I read. I really enjoyed this one, and felt like I was there bearing witness to the horror and the killings. This is a first rate atmospheric horror.

This is a supernatural thriller that is twisted with a serial killer on the run, a former Police Officer Good Guy, mixed up in a scary backwoods town, and then scored entirely with guitar strumming old time blues music. Put all those things together and then you get the feel...more
William Thomas
Jonathan Maberry, prior to the writing of this novel, had produced quite a few non-fiction books on cage-fighting and martial arts. This may be how he sharpened his skills in writing very fluid and believable action sequences. However, I wasn't expecting a multitude of fight scenes, hand-to-hand combat prose, or this many shoot-outs. I think Maberry got carried away with himself, forgot he was writing a horror novel, and instead channeled Richard Stark into the book, writing a Parker novel inste...more
Bill
Pine Deep, The Most Haunted Town in America. “We’ll scare you silly.”

30 years ago, an evil presence was killed, but was not properly disposed of and now it’s coming back…with a vengeance. Every day it is gaining strength and gathering souls and soon it will bring its retribution down on the town of Pine Deep.

There is a lot going on in this one - ancient evil, dark family secrets, betrayal, and murder, just to name a few. I had no clue what I was getting into with this one. (Actually thought it w...more
Brian Wilson
Wow, what can I say? I just finished up this book and already had to order the next as I cannot wait to continue to see what goes on in good ol' Pine Deep! I became closely attached to several of the characters and at the end found myself reacting to every move that would occur, hoping it would not take one of them away just yet as I feel like I am really getting to know them. I love how the chapters would end, leaving you guessing as it moves on to another subplot, only to eventually come back...more
Blu
I have recommended this book to many fans of horror/thriller. This book (the first in a trilogy) is a MUST READ! I would love to see this series come to life on the big screen! Amazing characterization and a very engaging plot kept me turning pages long after my "bedtime"!!! Can't wait to read the rest in the series!
William
Pine Deep knows evil and it is a dark evil. There is conventional evil and supernatural evil. Fast gripping read that leads to a very visually appealing story. I would recommend this to any fan of the horror genre.
Vicky
I just love everything Maberry writes, he's a master! Can't wait to read the next book in the trilogy.
Jo Anne B
This was a terrific, scary novel with a great cast of characters that might just give you nightmares.

The past has come back to haunt the people in Pine Deep, literally. Someone is out for revenge for something that happened 30 years ago and it pits good vs.evil.

The names of the characters are so perfect for this novel in which you don't know whether or not people are human, ghosts, animals, beasts, or monsters.

The main character Malcom Crow is just about as humble and down to earth as one could...more
Chibineko
I could kick my library right now. Seriously. Kick it. Or at least metaphorically speaking. Why am I debating the not so fine merits of frustration violence against my beloved local library? Because until the audio copy of the second book in this series comes out, I'll be jonesing for my Pine Deep fix.

The audio narration for this is incredibly fun and a very quick listen. Occasionally I'd have a few voices that sounded a little strange in a "not on purpose" way, but overall I loved the various...more
Trev Twinem
It is always a pleasant surprise to discover a horror story that really gives good meaning to what horror writing is all about. Ghost Road Blues at it's heart is the struggle of good and evil in the quaint little setting of Pine Deep, a quiet little Pennsylvania town now enjoying the good times but hiding a secret long past but not long dead. Into this idyllic setting roars the psychopathic Karl Ruger and his accomplish Boyd set on destruction and heading for a showdown with reformed alcoholic a...more
Claudia
I don't often highlight passages in books that I'm reading. They have to really resonate with me before I will do that but here, in this horror story, were paragraphs that were as beautiful as any so called literary work. I am only one book into the trilogy but am excited to begin book two. The characters are well written and I care about them and that is a must for me. I care about the Bone man most of all and he's dead so that says something about the strength of the writing. I want to believe...more
Kasia
When I first picked this book up I had no clue that I was up for a sweet week or saucy reading full of believable characters, little town secrets and dark nasty things slithering in the dark. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it also had some maniacs on the loose whose souls were blacker than that of the devil buried in the muddy pit and locals who grew up torturing each other under pretense of being holy. After sixty pages Jonathan Maberry became my new favorite author amongst masters of terror...more
John
I was torn between 3 and 4 stars for this book. I went with 4 because I was listening to it as an audiobook, and some of the things that didn't work might have been due me being distracted and not following as closely as I should.

First off, this is the first of a trilogy, which I did not realize going in, so don't expect all the story hooks to get resolved. That being said, we have monsters of various types, neurotic politicians, cops both corrupt and clean, and a ghostly blues man. So far, so...more
S.D.
Mar 07, 2011 S.D. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
I can’t mention GHOST ROAD BLUES without mentioning DEAD MAN’S SONG and BAD MOON RISING, because this is a trilogy. About 600 pages in each of the books but unbelievably fast reads. Pine Deep is known for being the most haunted town in the country because of their month long Halloween celebration which brings in tourists from all over. Malcolm Crow is an ex-cop who now owns a comic book/trivia/costume and everything Halloween store. His girlfriend, Val Guthrie, and a number of their friends had...more
Vickie
aka, the book that wouldn't end....All I can say is I am glad Jonathan Maberry is such an amazing writer or I'd have given up a long time ago. The book is 472 pages, but felt longer and I'm not sure why. It felt like quicksand, just no progress as I read. I know I read my purse books a lot more slowly since I don't get the time I used to. So that may be part of it. I also really liked reading the fight scenes. Maberry can write a kick-ass fight scene.
I tried making it my bedside book, but I imm...more
  • Dweller
  • In Silent Graves
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Dark Harvest
  • The Mailman
  • The Bleeding Season
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
  • Johnny Gruesome
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD...more
More about Jonathan Maberry...
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2) Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3) The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)

“When Tony lost it, it would be up to Ruger to take Lady Death by the tits and giver a good tweak. That's how he saw it. Give Lady Death's tits a good tweak.” 3 likes
“Hell's a-coming and we all gotta learn to play the blues. (347)” 3 likes