Squanto And The First Thanksgiving (Rabbit Ears A Classic Tale)

Squanto And The First Thanksgiving (Rabbit Ears A Classic Tale)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Discover the moving true story of the Native American named Squanto, who is captured from his beloved Pawtuxet tribe, taken to Spain, and sold into slavery. Years later, Squanto regains his freedom and embarks on a miraculous journey back to his homeland where he teaches the Pilgrims how to survive the difficult early years in the Plymouth Colony--culminating in the first...more
Published January 9th 2004 by Spotlight (MN) (first published August 24th 1996)

Shanna Gonzalez
Every child ought to read a few good Thankgiving books telling the story from the colonists' point of view which underscore the colonists' faith and God's provision for them. But it is important to acknowledge that while Thanksgiving symbolizes a young America's hope and potential, it also commemorates the beginning of colonization, an event which meant grief and destruction for the original inhabitants of our country. As a Native American Christian, I have struggled with God's purposes in allow...more
Jacki
Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving is a historical fiction picturebook written for Primary readers.

The book tells the story of a kidnapped Indian named Squanto and shares his 10-year journey back to North America. Squanto traveled from his home in North America to Spain and London before he was able to find his way back to the land of his youth. Metaxas' version of the Thanksgiving story gives credit to God rather than either the Indians or Pilgrims.

The book is simply written and contains c...more
Heather
God’s providence is active all the time but there are certain times when it is so remarkable that it leaves us amazed. This is such a story. The pilgrims called Squanto their Joseph because God used the kidnapping of both of them for the help of his people later on. I absolutely loved the last sentence of this book, which begins “Who but the glorious God of heaven…”

Sadly, although this book so beautifully magnifies God’s work in providence, it subtly undermines his work of salvation. When Squant...more
Stacey
I thouroughly enjoyed ending my night with the kids snuggled next to me in bed, reading this book. Eli is learning about Pilgrims at school, and preparing for a Thanksgiving program and this was a wonderful tie-in to what he is learning, but an amazing reminder of God's providence.

My knowledge of American history is pathetic at best. This was a new story for me, and I was delighted. Like Joseph, Squanto's life was not easy, but God showed him favor. Like Joseph, God was also preparing years in...more
Margaret
This appears to be a book originally published in 1999 with a new special softcover paperback for the 2012 season. In reading this through a loaned eGalley through NetGalley and ADE it is a bit difficult to read as the "page intentionally left blank" is missing and thus the obviously matched photos giving one of the best parts of picture book stories do no meet up. But from I do see, I enjoy the illustrations and the imagery.

Having a biographical story come from the perspective of a young Wampan...more
Aine
The books starts out: "Every once in a great while, the hand of God is easy to see...."

and then it tells of Squanto's kidnapping, of being sold into slavery, living in Spain with the monks and then later England, sailing back and finding his village wiped out, and finally helping the Pilgrims. It actually uses Governor Bradford's NAME in the book (I hate books that say, "The governor of the colony...").

It mentions Governor Bradford pointing out to Squanto that he was an instrument in God's hand...more
Ronyell
Normally, I love anything that deals with Rabbit Ears Productions, however, I felt like this book was a bit too boring for my tastes. Graham Greene does a wonderful job at narrating this story with a somber tone as this is indeed a sad little tale, however, I felt that his narration was a bit too monotonic and it made this story seem too boring to listen to. I would strong recommend some other Rabbit Ears titles that might be a bit more enjoyable than this one:

"The Fool and the Flying Ship" narr...more
Heather
This was a great book to learn about Squanto. It related the events taking him to England and back. The illustrations were very well done. While there wasn't much here we hadn't already read, it was nice to have it in one book. I also appreciated that they didn't gloss over the fact that he had been kidnapped, but didn't make it traumatic or overly dramatic thus making it appropriate for younger kids to listen to. The author does talk about how God had a plan for Squanto. It's not pervasive, but...more
Jackie
In this spellbinding story of Squanto, a Pawtuxet Native
American, the lyrical language draws the reader back in time to revisit the story of the First Thanksgiving. Squanto traveled back and forth over the Atlantic Ocean after being captured by slave traders. He learned the English language. When he came back to his native land, he helped negotiate a peace treaty between The Massasoits and the pilgrims.
The illustrations are richly imbued with jewel tones of the earth, which make the connection...more
Aleisa
Told from a very religious viewpoint, this story nevertheless is the most accurate retelling I have found on this subject. The pictures and story are appealing enough to hold a child's attention and the story is in-depth covering most of Squanto's remarkable life (well, it leaves off the unfortunate ending but there's enough time to become jaded when these kids grow up. Let em have a hero for now... :) ). I suspect I will continue to use this in the years to come.
Brad
Enjoyable read (and well illustrated) for children tracing God's hand of providence over all the players in the Pilgrim story, especially in the life of a Native American Indian named Squanto. (Squanto was not as "saintly" as this book portrays, and certainly not as "Christian," so parts of this story may be more historical fiction than historical.)
Sara
Beautifully historical and emotional tale of the miracle of Thanksgiving. The emphasis is on the story of Squanto and my 3 year old was captivated it despite being written for middle school students. The gorgeous illustrations give a wonderful window into the cultures that Squanto moves through. This is a keeper.
Dustin
Great story and well written. We read this tonight after our Thanksgiving feast. Amazing to think of how God used this young man for his glory.
Alissa
Pretty long, but a well-told story of Squanto and his part in Thanksgiving.
Jill
This is a staple at our house on Thanksgiving, along with the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special and peanut butter chocolate chip cake. My kids can count on me getting it down and reading it aloud, and they can count on me choking up at least once, usually at the part where William Bradford compares Squanto's life with that of Joseph and says, "What man had intended for evil, God intended for good." The story of Squanto's abuse at the hands of white men who came uninvited to his country could be...more
Eddnkj
Eddnkj marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Andrea Ribera
Andrea Ribera marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Becca'sChild
Becca'sChild marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Joe Giles
Joe Giles marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Prasanna
Prasanna marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Michelle Escobar
Michelle Escobar marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
In a decidedly eclectic career, Eric Metaxas has written for VeggieTales, Chuck Colson, Rabbit Ears Productions and the New York Times, four things not ordinarily in the same sentence. He is a best-selling author whose biographies, children’s books, and works of popular apologetics have been translated into Albanian, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean, and Macedonian.
More about Eric Metaxas...
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery 7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness It's Time to Sleep, My Love Socrates in the City: Conversations on "Life, God, and Other Small Topics"