Start by marking “Arrowhawk” as Want to Read:
Arrowhawk

Arrowhawk

Familiar hands tossed him gently into the winter air. Hawk flapped his wings and skimmed the earth. Then he beat his wings harder, rose, and flew over the trees. And straight as an arrow, Hawk soared into the wild.

The story of an injured red-tailed hawk's survival and freedom

A hungry red-tailed hawk sits near a fence post and devours his catch. Out of nowhere a poacher's a
Published May 1st 2004 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Jan 13, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Our 6yo brought this to the dinner table and demanded (positively demanded) to be allowed to read it to us. We were reluctant listeners at first. But by the third page, we were snared.
The book is based on a true story, which was recounted in small print on the last two pages. It was when we got to the last two pages that I realized why it was such a good book: the author took what could have been a nice-ish but preachy story about people trying to rescue a wounded bird and deliberately and entir
Catherine
The author's rich descriptive language makes the book a perfect jumping off point for a lnguage/writing lesson. Choose a page and substitute the students' everyday word choices for the adjectives, then read what the author wrote. It illustrates the value of revising for writers in the intermediate grades, and probably even middle school. The book is a great one to use in a variety of ways in the classroom. The Science is obvious, but don't miss the Language lessons, too.
Julie Fischer
Nov 08, 2011 Julie Fischer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: be read from second grade to adults.
Lola M. Schaefer has written a book that touches my soul. Her story of a hawk which struggles for survival after being shot by an arrow gained the attention of all of my students. Throughout her story Schaefer teaches students the responsibility each individual in the world has in respecting the rights of animals and the balance of nature. I find this an excellent book for classroom discussions.
Sarah Maddaford
I think this book is best suited for a slightly older child. The pain of the hawk may be too much for a young child to understand, especially the idea that someone would hurt the animal on purpose. It's a really nice story with a happy ending. The illustrations are beautiful. The hawk looks exactly like the red tails I've seen flying around without looking like a photograph.
Emily
I honestly didn't like this book until I realized it was based on a true story. I thought it was kind of gruesome and a little upsetting. Once I read the author's note about the true story of Arrowhawk I understood the importance of making the story as realistic as possible.

I would use this book to help explain that with a lot effort and determination, anything is possible.
Juliej
Sep 10, 2010 Juliej rated it really liked it
With an animal lover son this book was just perfect for him. This poor hawk was pierced with an arrow but survived, in pain. Eventually, caring people who had seen him in their area rescued him and got him into rehab. Until that happens, though, you feel this poor bird's pain and yet its tenacious in its fight to survive. A great book to show kids that good deeds can be to animals as well.
Stephen
Jul 31, 2008 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeping
Its A Really good Book i love it i dont think this book will ever come old its like the best book for k-12 grades its pretty good im impressed with the work that she did on it im speachless for how she made this book very good job on it i really like it!!!!
Nicole
Feb 23, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I would use Arrowhawk in the classroom when describing or starting a difficult task or unit. Knowing it wont be easy and you cant give up. The children will learn to persevere and its worth it in the end. It would be a great read aloud.
Mckinley
May 06, 2015 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, non-fiction, bird
Based on real event.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"real story of wildlife rehabilitation, red-tailed hawk"
Emelda
Nov 13, 2014 Emelda rated it really liked it
Great book about how a hawk would react to an arrow going through him. I love the non-focus on humans, and the real story in the back. Prefect for animal lovers.
Ali
Mar 10, 2014 Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy smokes, this hawk is way more hard-core than I will ever be!
Maria Marshall
Apr 02, 2016 Maria Marshall rated it really liked it
A beautiful story inspired by the rescue and rehabilitation of a hawk wounded by a poacher's arrow.
Lola
Jan 02, 2013 Lola rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Jared &
Jared & rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2017
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2010
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Chloe
Chloe rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2014
Jowea Lake
Jowea Lake rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014
Jennifer Salter
Jennifer Salter rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2014
Valerie
Valerie rated it did not like it
Aug 03, 2014
Jane Humane
Jane Humane rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Joanne Krawczyk
Joanne Krawczyk rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Katie Mccool
Katie Mccool rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014