Start by marking “Arrowhawk” as Want to Read:

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Familiar hands tossed him gently into the winter air. Hawk flapped his wings and skimmed the earth. Then he beat his wings harder, rose, and flew over the trees. And straight as an arrow, Hawk soared into the wild.

The story of an injured red-tailed hawk's survival and freedom

A hungry red-tailed hawk sits near a fence post and devours his catch. Out of nowhere a poacher's
Published May 1st 2004 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Arrowhawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arrowhawk

Our 6yo brought this to the dinner table and demanded (positively demanded) to be allowed to read it to us. We were reluctant listeners at first. But by the third page, we were snared.
The book is based on a true story, which was recounted in small print on the last two pages. It was when we got to the last two pages that I realized why it was such a good book: the author took what could have been a nice-ish but preachy story about people trying to rescue a wounded bird and deliberately and entir
I would use Arrowhawk in the classroom when describing or starting a difficult task or unit. Knowing it wont be easy and you cant give up. The children will learn to persevere and its worth it in the end. It would be a great read aloud.
Great book about how a hawk would react to an arrow going through him. I love the non-focus on humans, and the real story in the back. Prefect for animal lovers.
Holy smokes, this hawk is way more hard-core than I will ever be!
Jul 09, 2014 Teri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: birds
Beautifully illustrated true story. Great find.
Based on real event.
The author's rich descriptive language makes the book a perfect jumping off point for a lnguage/writing lesson. Choose a page and substitute the students' everyday word choices for the adjectives, then read what the author wrote. It illustrates the value of revising for writers in the intermediate grades, and probably even middle school. The book is a great one to use in a variety of ways in the classroom. The Science is obvious, but don't miss the Language lessons, too.
Julie Fischer
Aug 31, 2013 Julie Fischer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: be read from second grade to adults.
Lola M. Schaefer has written a book that touches my soul. Her story of a hawk which struggles for survival after being shot by an arrow gained the attention of all of my students. Throughout her story Schaefer teaches students the responsibility each individual in the world has in respecting the rights of animals and the balance of nature. I find this an excellent book for classroom discussions.
With an animal lover son this book was just perfect for him. This poor hawk was pierced with an arrow but survived, in pain. Eventually, caring people who had seen him in their area rescued him and got him into rehab. Until that happens, though, you feel this poor bird's pain and yet its tenacious in its fight to survive. A great book to show kids that good deeds can be to animals as well.
I honestly didn't like this book until I realized it was based on a true story. I thought it was kind of gruesome and a little upsetting. Once I read the author's note about the true story of Arrowhawk I understood the importance of making the story as realistic as possible.

I would use this book to help explain that with a lot effort and determination, anything is possible.
Sarah Maddaford
I think this book is best suited for a slightly older child. The pain of the hawk may be too much for a young child to understand, especially the idea that someone would hurt the animal on purpose. It's a really nice story with a happy ending. The illustrations are beautiful. The hawk looks exactly like the red tails I've seen flying around without looking like a photograph.
Its A Really good Book i love it i dont think this book will ever come old its like the best book for k-12 grades its pretty good im impressed with the work that she did on it im speachless for how she made this book very good job on it i really like it!!!!
"real story of wildlife rehabilitation, red-tailed hawk"
Reagan Siebert
Reagan Siebert marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Tara added it
Jul 28, 2015
Suzy marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Alminda Morina
Alminda Morina marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Rachel added it
Mar 06, 2015
Mrjetsawesome marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015