Ascent (The Party Series, #1)

Ascent (The Party #1)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For three teens going back to the past is the only way to save the future.

After years of recession a new political party is ascending to power. To control the United States they must offer leaders people will vote for. The Party has chosen a select group of teens to attend the Institute for Youth Development (IYD) for training to become the nation’s next leaders. But no on...more
Published September 8th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Ascent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ascent

Angelfall by Susan EeThese Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanWither by Lauren DeStefanoCinder by Marissa MeyerEverneath by Brodi Ashton
Books With Good Covers
159th out of 211 books — 67 voters
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
MOST AWAITED BOOKS 2011/2012!
377th out of 466 books — 965 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicola
This review first appeared here on my blog.

Ascent took me by surprise and it is certainly a series that I am eager to follow! I was drawn in by the description. I'm really into dystopian books but sometimes it feels like they're all following the same basic concept and not straying very far from it. Ascent, however, looked like it had something different to offer, and it definitely did!

This book is based around a political party but it's much more exciting than that sounds! The Party is quickly...more
Lauren
Ascent tells the story of three special teens and their journey through time--literally. With the invention of the Slider, Rick--a computer geek/hacker, Farrah-Kate--daughter of the late movie star, and Matt--all-American football senior have the oppurtunity to fix their mistakes in order to progress with The Party, which is the last political party standing.
Wow. This book blew my mind. It's time-travel after all. But with it being my first time-travel book, I don't know all of the "rules" of ho...more
Diane
This was pretty much a waste of time. Maybe it would appeal to someone who actually *was* a junior in highschool, like these characters are, but otherwise.. eh. The *idea* for the book had promise, but it never delivers. The characters are flat and annoying, with the exception of one of them who is flat but at least sort of interesting, and the plot just sort of sputters out; I do understand there is a sequel and so they book was left sputtering out on purpose but it certainly wasn't done in a w...more
Caro
"Ascent" was ok. Not more and not less. I bought this book because I thought it was interesting to see how exactly a political party like "The Party" could come to power, and how the different people would react to that.
Unfortunately, "Ascent" deals mainly with three teens and their individual problems. I didn't care for any of them.
There was Farrah-Kate, the child of some actress who killed herself. She was whiny, boring and annoying, talking the whole time about her mother and watching her mov...more
Delena Silverfox
Had this been given to a good editor as a manuscript, it might have been considerably better. There were a ton of typos and grammatical errors that an editor would have corrected, and that seriously detracted from the reading. The characters all read the same, even using the exact same descriptions (sometimes the exact same phrases!) to describe certain things. There was no depth to them at all. In fact, if I didn't read the character's name whose POV marks each chapter, I was never able to tell...more
Holly
Jan 05, 2013 Holly marked it as not-finishing
I'm not finishing this book for a couple of reasons. Firstly it has the classic flaw of (most) self published books - distracting typos that any copy editor should catch.

Secondly the time line. It's obvious in the beginning that it is supposed to take place in the near future - in a world where people don't remember Farrah Fawcett (except the character who is named after her) and where people don't care about movie stars or watch old tech like DVD's. Where it falls apart for me is that the Farra...more
Dawn Price
Left behind with a twist

can't wait to see what happens next. Will Matt and Rick expose the party? what do little green men and big foot have to do with politics.

Kel (Bookworm)
It was ok. Good character development and great idea for a story but it didn't grab me. What's scary is that parts of it could happen like the Party taking over and all. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it but for me it just didn't pull me in like other books have. I will probably end up reading the next book just to find out what happens. I'm rooting for Matt.
Tracy
This started off like it would be really great because I like time travel, but then the alien element was added, and it seemed out of place. It seemed like it went fast but it was like the author was stalling, and the end left a lot of questions. I know the trend is to write a series, but a complete book would be nice, without trying to lure us into buying the next one.
Joanna
3.5 stars. Really interesting idea, but some really big holes in the time traveling concept. Also, by the end of the book I still have no idea what is really going on with the world at large, the riots, how the party plays into it... It felt like more of a prologue than a book with how few details are included as to the overall plot.
Kjirstin
Interesting! I quite liked the story and will be curious to see what happens with the rest of the series. There were some weird errors that stuck out to me -- "carbon monoxide" instead of "carbon dioxide", "allusive" instead of "elusive"... But hey, why quibble? It was a good story and a fun, quick read.
Kara-karina
The concept of time-travel is fascinating, and this book reads like a screenplay and reminds me of Quantum Leap. I could really see it as amazing TV series, but again it's way too short, and there is no information about a possible continuation of the series. Overall, thumbs up.
Sheree
I did not finish this book. It felt like a bunch of short stories. I am sure if I continued to read, it would all eventually come together; however, I felt no connection to any of the characters and thus not compelled to continue on.
Tracee
I really liked this book. It is a little more political, which usually isn't my favorite, but it's not symbolic or hard to understand. It's a fun and interesting read. I can't wait for the next one to come out!
Carly
I didn't expect much from this book after downloading it for less than a dollar in the Kindle store - but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a bit repetitive and had some spelling errors but I liked it a lot.
Starla B
I think the story had potential, but didn't quite reach it. It felt too forced, and too much like a collection of short stories.
Charles
Great story. This book has a little sci-fi in it, but it was done well and believably. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment!
Kat♥
I really, really liked this original story and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!
Nikki
seemed like a really long prologue with semi-resolution for the characters
Lettersalad
Hat spannend angefangen aber leider stark nachgelassen...
Sheree Gregory
Sheree Gregory marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jillian Beaton
Jillian Beaton marked it as to-read
Brittany DeLaBarrera
Brittany DeLaBarrera marked it as to-read
Harmony
Harmony marked it as to-read
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Ioulia
Ioulia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Emmaline Westlund
Emmaline Westlund marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • Cycles
  • Self-published version: At the End: A Post-Apocalyptic Novel (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Lure of the Night (Vampire Winter Saga, #1)
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • Beginning With the End: A Memoir of Twin Loss and Healing
  • The Glass Wall (Return of the Ancients, #1)
  • What Came After
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
  • Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • The Ruined City (The Veiled Isles Trilogy, #2)
  • Gyges the Terrible
  • Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery  (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #1)
  • Nightpeople (Darklands, #1)
  • Dead Things
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
Girl Over the Edge The Odds Single in the Superficial City (The Desert Chronicles) The Odds - excerpt from 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Entry The Toll Haunting, YA Horror (Ruin, Book One)

“You think Facebook was created by some asshole at Harvard? That asshole is on the government payroll.” 2 likes