Start by marking “Ascent (The Party Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ascent (The Party Series, #1)

Ascent (The Party #1)

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
For three teens going back to the past is the only way to save the future.

After years of recession a new political party is ascending to power. To control the United States they must offer leaders people will vote for. The Party has chosen a select group of teens to attend the Institute for Youth Development (IYD) for training to become the nation’s next leaders. But no on
Published September 8th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Ascent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ascent

Angelfall by Susan EeThese Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanThe Selection by Kiera CassCinder by Marissa MeyerWither by Lauren DeStefano
Books With Good Covers
192nd out of 241 books — 97 voters
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
MOST AWAITED BOOKS 2011/2012!
379th out of 465 books — 967 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicola
This review first appeared here on my blog.

Ascent took me by surprise and it is certainly a series that I am eager to follow! I was drawn in by the description. I'm really into dystopian books but sometimes it feels like they're all following the same basic concept and not straying very far from it. Ascent, however, looked like it had something different to offer, and it definitely did!

This book is based around a political party but it's much more exciting than that sounds! The Party is quickly
Lauren
Nov 20, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Ascent tells the story of three special teens and their journey through time--literally. With the invention of the Slider, Rick--a computer geek/hacker, Farrah-Kate--daughter of the late movie star, and Matt--all-American football senior have the oppurtunity to fix their mistakes in order to progress with The Party, which is the last political party standing.
Wow. This book blew my mind. It's time-travel after all. But with it being my first time-travel book, I don't know all of the "rules" of ho
Diane
This was pretty much a waste of time. Maybe it would appeal to someone who actually *was* a junior in highschool, like these characters are, but otherwise.. eh. The *idea* for the book had promise, but it never delivers. The characters are flat and annoying, with the exception of one of them who is flat but at least sort of interesting, and the plot just sort of sputters out; I do understand there is a sequel and so they book was left sputtering out on purpose but it certainly wasn't done in a w ...more
Heathery
I've had this on my Kindle for a couple years, so I figured it was finally time to give it a whirl. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would based on the summary. The book is read through the POVs of three characters--Farrah, Matt, and Rick. Oftentimes, characters sound the same; authors have difficulty really setting them apart. That wasn't the case here. They were all easily identifiable, especially Rick.

The premise of the book is very original. While the plot of 'a new political party g
Caro
Oct 20, 2011 Caro rated it it was ok
"Ascent" was ok. Not more and not less. I bought this book because I thought it was interesting to see how exactly a political party like "The Party" could come to power, and how the different people would react to that.
Unfortunately, "Ascent" deals mainly with three teens and their individual problems. I didn't care for any of them.
There was Farrah-Kate, the child of some actress who killed herself. She was whiny, boring and annoying, talking the whole time about her mother and watching her mov
Delena Silverfox
Feb 02, 2013 Delena Silverfox rated it did not like it
Had this been given to a good editor as a manuscript, it might have been considerably better. There were a ton of typos and grammatical errors that an editor would have corrected, and that seriously detracted from the reading. The characters all read the same, even using the exact same descriptions (sometimes the exact same phrases!) to describe certain things. There was no depth to them at all. In fact, if I didn't read the character's name whose POV marks each chapter, I was never able to tell ...more
Holly
Jan 05, 2013 Holly marked it as not-finishing
I'm not finishing this book for a couple of reasons. Firstly it has the classic flaw of (most) self published books - distracting typos that any copy editor should catch.

Secondly the time line. It's obvious in the beginning that it is supposed to take place in the near future - in a world where people don't remember Farrah Fawcett (except the character who is named after her) and where people don't care about movie stars or watch old tech like DVD's. Where it falls apart for me is that the Farra
Dawn Price
Mar 20, 2014 Dawn Price rated it liked it
Left behind with a twist

can't wait to see what happens next. Will Matt and Rick expose the party? what do little green men and big foot have to do with politics.

Kel (Bookworm)
Feb 04, 2016 Kel (Bookworm) rated it it was ok
It was ok. Good character development and great idea for a story but it didn't grab me. What's scary is that parts of it could happen like the Party taking over and all. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it but for me it just didn't pull me in like other books have. I will probably end up reading the next book just to find out what happens. I'm rooting for Matt.
Tracy
Jan 06, 2012 Tracy rated it liked it
This started off like it would be really great because I like time travel, but then the alien element was added, and it seemed out of place. It seemed like it went fast but it was like the author was stalling, and the end left a lot of questions. I know the trend is to write a series, but a complete book would be nice, without trying to lure us into buying the next one.
Joanna
Feb 01, 2012 Joanna rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Really interesting idea, but some really big holes in the time traveling concept. Also, by the end of the book I still have no idea what is really going on with the world at large, the riots, how the party plays into it... It felt like more of a prologue than a book with how few details are included as to the overall plot.
Kjirstin
Jul 23, 2012 Kjirstin rated it really liked it
Interesting! I quite liked the story and will be curious to see what happens with the rest of the series. There were some weird errors that stuck out to me -- "carbon monoxide" instead of "carbon dioxide", "allusive" instead of "elusive"... But hey, why quibble? It was a good story and a fun, quick read.
Kara-karina
Jan 21, 2012 Kara-karina rated it really liked it
The concept of time-travel is fascinating, and this book reads like a screenplay and reminds me of Quantum Leap. I could really see it as amazing TV series, but again it's way too short, and there is no information about a possible continuation of the series. Overall, thumbs up.
Sheree
Dec 08, 2011 Sheree rated it liked it
I did not finish this book. It felt like a bunch of short stories. I am sure if I continued to read, it would all eventually come together; however, I felt no connection to any of the characters and thus not compelled to continue on.
Tracee
Feb 07, 2012 Tracee rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It is a little more political, which usually isn't my favorite, but it's not symbolic or hard to understand. It's a fun and interesting read. I can't wait for the next one to come out!
Carly
Nov 26, 2011 Carly rated it really liked it
I didn't expect much from this book after downloading it for less than a dollar in the Kindle store - but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a bit repetitive and had some spelling errors but I liked it a lot.
Starla B
Dec 28, 2011 Starla B rated it it was ok
I think the story had potential, but didn't quite reach it. It felt too forced, and too much like a collection of short stories.
Charles
Dec 03, 2011 Charles rated it really liked it
Great story. This book has a little sci-fi in it, but it was done well and believably. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment!
Kat
Jan 04, 2014 Kat rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this original story and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!
Nikki
Aug 19, 2012 Nikki rated it it was ok
seemed like a really long prologue with semi-resolution for the characters
Lettersalad
Aug 03, 2012 Lettersalad rated it liked it
Shelves: in-english
Hat spannend angefangen aber leider stark nachgelassen...
Michelle Boyea
Michelle Boyea marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Heather Trahan
Heather Trahan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Brad Martinez
Brad Martinez marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Ashki
Ashki marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Littlemisskiara
Littlemisskiara marked it as to-read
Freja
Freja added it
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 20, 2015 11:01AM
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • Lure of the Night (Vampire Winter Saga, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Dremiks
  • Alpha Rising
  • Cycles
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
  • The Glass Wall (Return of the Ancients, #1)
  • Dead Things
  • What Came After
  • The Bronze and the Brimstone
  • Gyges the Terrible
  • Prophecy (Slave Empire, #1)
  • 21 Erased
  • The Forever Contract
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)

“You think Facebook was created by some asshole at Harvard? That asshole is on the government payroll.” 2 likes