Start by marking “Black & Ugly” as Want to Read:
Black & Ugly

Black & Ugly (Black & Ugly Series #1)

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,634 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Parade Knight hates her complexion. As a result, she considers herself to be unattractive and condones the misuse of her body.
Sky Taylor is beautiful, fly and wanted, and loves reminding Parade of her imperfections especially after suspecting that she may be sleeping with her man, Jay Hernandez.
Miss Wayne is hilarious and a self-proclaimed girlfriend who enjoys the atten
Published January 1st 2007 by Triple Crown Publications

To ask other readers questions about Black & Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black & Ugly

G-Spot by NoireThe Coldest Winter Ever by Sister SouljahAddicted by ZaneThe Cartel by Ashley AntoinetteEvery Thug Needs a Lady by Wahida Clark
Best Urban Fiction
41st out of 216 books — 343 voters
The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister SouljahThe Cartel by Ashley AntoinetteTale of the Murda Mamas by Ashley AntoinetteThe Last Chapter by Ashley AntoinetteAddicted by Zane
The Hottest Urban Fiction
56th out of 315 books — 347 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica Mann
Feb 12, 2012 Monica Mann rated it it was amazing
Must read. This was a wonderful story that had me laughing on minute and crying the next. I didn't want to put it down.
Tiana2010
May 14, 2008 Tiana2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: a very intelligent and mature friend
Recommended to Tiana2010 by: My mother recommended me to read this book and I'm happy that sh

The book "BLACK & UGLY" is a example of what deceit is. The book starts with a beautiful brown skinned girl with a coke bottle for a body and a has a bowl of candy for a heart but has low self-esteem named Parade Knight. She was a kind, satisfied, poor, sweet, but at the same time sneaky girl. Parade lived in the Projects in Baltimore, Maryland with her jealous, conniving, envious snake of a mother. She also lived in the same neighborhood with her real family, the people who she loved most
Egypt Mckie
Jul 02, 2008 Egypt Mckie rated it did not like it
This book was horrible! It was ghetto and it was on a very basic reading level!

I didn't enjoy this book at all! I read it in two days. One part of the book the main character's mother threw her dirty panties into the main characters face! What the hell...LOL
Matthew
Sep 14, 2010 Matthew rated it it was ok
Not my usual fare. I read this one for work when we received a fairly strong complaint against it being in our library's collection. I went in expecting a lot of dirty words and some graphic sexual content and it certainly had both of those, but nothing that particularly shocked me...but then I have a pretty high tolerance.

The basic story centers around Parade, a woman in her early 20's living in the "urban" streets of Hyattsville, MD (I'll explain the quotes later). She is a dark-skinned black
Alexis
Oct 10, 2012 Alexis rated it really liked it
WOW.... for the first couple of pages I was so tempted to put the book down because I just couldn't believe the sh*t I was reading. It takes A LOT for ME to be OFFENDED by something, let alone a book, but I just kept thinking, this author is bold.... I still want to try and finish reading it tho. I'm glad I did. The characters are all a hot a** mess, but I love it! Lol, once you get past the harsh words, its actually a really good story line. It was different for me,not your usual, "I have to hu ...more
Adrienna
Jan 14, 2009 Adrienna rated it it was ok
What I learned about was how some people have insecurities with their skin color and kept saying while reading the book, "get over it". God created as we are and accept it. I laughed at the gay guy that wanted to be a woman in the book. Regardless of the deceit, some parts was hard for me to keep up with who was talking and what was going on...action...and some grammar issues...but overall, it was a fast-pace read. I would like to see how she did with part 2. Hope it gets better. Been awhile sin ...more
DeTerrius Woods
After Years of Waiting...

After waiting some years for this novel to hit Kindle, I finally was able to cuddle up with my Kindle Fire and read Mama T's first known published novel. I must admit that I was disappointed. A couple of the reviewers mentioned that the writing was a little juvenile, and I agree, but thankfully I know Mama T's writing has improved tremendously since this so I might give the sequel, "Black And Ugly As Ever," a chance.
Dayatara
Mar 21, 2010 Dayatara rated it it was amazing
Somone loaned me this book and I finally read it after having it for like, 6 months. I read it in a couple of hours because I could not put it down! From page one I was drawn into Parade's story. Parade has NO self esteem because her mother has made her believe that she is 'Black & Ugly'. If you are a fan of urban fiction, and maybe even if you're not, I would suggest reading this book. It's action packed and full of twists and turns. Check it out!
Carrie Rembert
Apr 13, 2012 Carrie Rembert rated it it was amazing
U have to love urself b 4 u can love someone else. I felt bad for Parade but I'm happy things started to fall in place for her even tho sum things she did I didn't agree with but it's a lesson learn.....
Tonya r
Mar 25, 2009 Tonya r rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-was-good
*book waz gud * Diz book tellz y u shouldnt let people take advantage of u*
Ezraela-Bat
Jun 10, 2009 Ezraela-Bat rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes to anyone
Recommended to Ezraela-Bat by: noone
This book helped me to realize, that dark skinned is beautiful.
La.day.sha
Nov 05, 2009 La.day.sha rated it liked it
Black is Beautiful
Ang
Apr 17, 2015 Ang rated it did not like it
First off. I've never read Urban Fiction before, so this was my introduction into the genre via a book club that I'm starting at the library I work at. Its a fast-growing genre among a lot of the library's patrons, and I thought it would be a great way to get people in the library reading, as well as a way for the patrons to get new copies quickly. With that said, I will discuss my thoughts about the book... Warning: there will be spoilers.

It was interesting, I was a bit out of my comfort zone w
Lesa Divine)
Apr 29, 2010 Lesa Divine) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-it, i-own
Chelsea Chelsea
Nov 15, 2014 Chelsea Chelsea rated it it was amazing
This books is a must read it is a bit simple from the other books I have read (over any genre) But the story is a good one. You wont regret you read this. I have regretted reading books like the push novel sequel. (it just got worse) Anyways I liked this book and its sequel. I love the main character. And how it ended. It was what I would call a nice book to read on a saturday afternoon.
Tatianna Davis
Oct 01, 2014 Tatianna Davis rated it it was amazing
This book though on the surface seems to be a basic raunchy book with sex and drugs but this book is so much more. It goes deep into the hardships of friendships and growing up to love who you are because you have to love yourself better than anyone else can and parade begins to learn that as she grows.
Melinda
Jun 27, 2014 Melinda rated it liked it
Shelves: street-lit
I enjoyed this novel. I had a hard time in the beginning because Parade's low self-image was killing me, but once I was sucked into the story I was riveted. You want Parade to overcome and for Sky to get what's coming to her. I really liked that everyone in Parade's crew got to talk from their perspective. I like her crew but not Sky. The chapters from Markee, Smokes, Silver and Cannon's perspectives threw me off a little. Mainly because I wasn't expecting it.

I thought that Parade and Cannon wo
Laura Perry
Jun 11, 2010 Laura Perry rated it it was amazing
parade knight hates her complexion. all her life she was called ugly from her mother and from other people around the way even her bestfriend shy taylor. shy brings her down alot even give her, her used cloths and eveything else.

parade has two other friends, miss wayne and miss daffany they are truly are her friens they tell her she has a pretty smile and everthing else that people tells her she's not they tell her diffrent then what other people says

parade has a secert that she been keeping fro
Molly
Nov 29, 2010 Molly rated it liked it
I enjoyed how the author told this story through first person narrative from each of four women who are closely connected, yet harbor secrets from each other. Some of the Maryland locales mentioned in the book were familiar to me, so that added to my reading experience. The thing I am most curious about is how author T. Styles went about writing this kind of action-packed, convoluted story and ended up intertwining and tying up all the loose ends with every single character introduced throughout ...more
Naja Corbin
Feb 15, 2016 Naja Corbin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book

This book is jaw dropping ! I'm a big fan of TStyles been reading her books for a while. Each book is better then the last.
Dalesha R
Sep 22, 2015 Dalesha R rated it it was amazing
I read this a while ago. It was a good book. Wondering when part two comes out?
Nakesha Lee
Mar 24, 2014 Nakesha Lee rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS A REALLY GOOD BOOK. CAN'T WAIT TO READ PART II
Drea
Dec 26, 2015 Drea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

I honestly loved this book . Most def a page turner ! Black is beautiful . I'm starting on part 2
Lunden
Apr 02, 2013 Lunden rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Good read. For some reason, I felt like I have read this story before. Either, this book is VERY similar to another that I have read or, I have read this book before. The whole scene at the party and the treatment of Parade throughout the book seems eerily close to something else I have read. Also, I wasn't crazy about the way that the book ended and wasn't sure what the secret was that Sky had either. Could somebody explain what her "secret" was? Thanks
Pam
Oct 05, 2009 Pam rated it liked it
This was an ok book, and I didn't mind the basic level that it is written in. Not all good stories need to be written like classic literature in order to be engaging. I think it was an uplifting story, I liked how she slowly began to appreciate herself and her REAL friends, as well as recognize how truly valuable she was and that she deserved a real man in her life that treated her well.
I can't wait to read the sequel.
Redd Monroe
Mar 26, 2015 Redd Monroe rated it it was amazing
this book was so good i couldnt put it down, but the type of book that you didnt want to be over..
its a tale of love and loyalty but at the same time lies, deceive, dishonesty..
parade makes you realize that black is beautiful no matter how many pretty lightskin girls there are out there .. T.styles did a bang up job on this book and makes me want to look into more of her novels.
Williams Nicki
Feb 06, 2016 Williams Nicki rated it it was amazing
in my opinion this was a very good read it is a story about friends who some you can trust and those that you couldn't in my opinion this was a very good read it is a story about friends who some you can trust and those that you couldn't sky was not a real friend to parade at all..sky low rates parade everyday but parade wasn't a good friend either....
Fatima
Loved it!

I know I'm a couple years late with reading this book,but I'm glad I finally decided to read it. This story focus on real life situations and how the people closest to you are the ones you have to watch out for. Miss Wayne was my favorite character and I like the way he supported Parade. Definitely about to download Part 2.
Kesha
Feb 03, 2009 Kesha added it
This was one of the best books i've read.It's about a girl named Parade and her mom and one of her best friends makes fun of her, because she has dark skin and is not the most beautiful thing. The part that had me stunned was when they found out that parade was having an affair with her no good best friends man. I definatly recomend this book to everyone.
Jeremy Sanders
Apr 22, 2013 Jeremy Sanders rated it it was amazing
I found this book outside in the rain. very happy that I found it. I had to get the real copy and the sequel. I read a lot mostly only the classics. t. styles is a very good writer. her story is a pahe turner. she knows how to do plot twist. she is 1 of my authors . read the shyt list novels. you wont be disappointed. simply marvelous.
  • Hold U Down
  • Sheisty (Sheisty series, #1)
  • Whore
  • Crack Head (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Desperate Hoodwives
  • Grindin'
  • Diary of a Street Diva (Dirty Money, #1)
  • Pitbulls In A Skirt
  • Black Widow
  • Dirty Red
  • Where There's Smoke
  • Black
Buy "AND THEY CALL ME GOD here: http://www.amazon.com/They-Call-Carte...

Preorder "THE UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS" here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Ungrateful-...

Preorder "LIPSTICK DOM" here: http://www.amazon.com/Lipstick-Dom-Ca...

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Author. Show Host, Motivational Speaker.

Award Winning CEO of The Cartel Publications - an international, independent publishing house, Mean Girls Magazine, Ric
More about T. Styles...

Black & Ugly Series (2 books)
  • Black & Ugly as Ever