Start by marking “Arm in Arm” as Want to Read:
Arm in Arm

Arm in Arm

4.64 of 5 stars 4.64  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  24 reviews

Hailed by the New York Times as a rare and original collection of "verbal and visual witticisms...as joyfully illustrated as it is absurd," ARM IN ARM has delighted children—and grown-ups—for years with its endless tales, gleeful riddles, circular poems, and fantastical drawings.

Published 1969 by Parent's Magazine Press

To ask other readers questions about Arm in Arm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arm in Arm

Gar Ver
Jul 22, 2007 Gar Ver rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: healthy brains
A brain friendly children's book.

Isn't it better to be in a warm bed saying, "Isn't it better to be in a warm bed rather than out in the cold snow?" Rather than out in the cold snow saying, "Isn't it better to be in a warm bed rather than out in the cold snow?"

That's one page! Arm in Arm celebrates the elemental reasoning behind love and acceptance.
Sarah Sammis
If I were to make a list of the books I've read more times than I can count, Arm in Arm by Remy Charlip would be near the top. This slim book of art and poetry was one of those books I would try to check out from the library every time I went. I'm surprised I didn't end up being given a copy. In fact, I ended up buying the library's copy many years later when it had been read to the point of falling apart! I later released that copy via BookCrossing and replaced it with another one in better con ...more
Jenny
This was one of my favoite books when I was 5 or 6. It's a collection of word rhymes and tongue teasers but oh so much more. I've thought of it quite often throughout my life and oh, how I wished I had a copy. When it's re-issued I'm buying a copy for me and my nieces! "Pete & Repeat were sitting on a fence and Pete fell off. Who was left? Repeat. Pete & Repeat were sitting on a fence and Pete fell off. Who was left? Repeat'. And so on.
Roseanne
This odd little book passed over my desk today...is it safe to say that we're not as eclectic as we used to be?
Dolly
Feb 25, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book offers a combination of humorous word play and entertaining artwork for a fun read aloud. The tales/poems/plays/etc. are quite bizarre and the repetition and puns are very creative. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Katherine
This book probably warped my brain in the best possible way. I bought it at a garage sale when I was 6 or 7. LOVE.
Logan
As two stars indicates, it was okay. Long out of print, this was reprinted just a month ago (mid-September, 2010) and I looked forward to my library getting it in. I wanted to read it to Logan because an amazing math tutor and enthusiast reviewed it so beautifully here in his blog post about the Droste Effect: http://mathforlove.com/2010/09/infini.... But L didn't care for the cartoonish style of it (he seems to dislike when people or animals are represented in a distorted way) and he didn't fin ...more
Kristen
What a truly bizarre and enjoyable book.
Kbg503
"It was a dark and stormy night. We were standing on the deck. The Captain said "Tell me a story, my son." And so, I began..."

I hope I am remembering this correctly. It sounds right to my ear. My mind can picture the art. And my body remembers spinning this book to read this!

All those wonderful stories are buried somewhere in my mind. And as I remember them, wherever I am at, people will wonder why I'm giggling.
Darren Rector
I think of you every time i think of you every time i think of you every time ...This was formative stuff for me, and now my children, ages seven and five, adore the bizarre and unbound creativity of the sketchy illustrations and wild and clever prose. Ask me if I'm a boat. Between Shel Silverstein, Maurice Sendak and Remy Charlip, my childhood recieved narration and illustration.
elissa
I spent hours and hours and hours with this when I was about 5 years old. My kids were never as enthralled by it, possibly because it looks very late-60's/early 70's. I got my younger son to spend some time with it yesterday, and he laughed a lot, and ran over to me with it to show me something several times. Fun!
Tessa
The joy of Remy Charlip is so genuine and earnest. It's so much better than the word "cute", although there is that. (A heart inside a heart in a heart hug, anyone?)

I'm pretty sure that if I had read this when I was a little girl it would have blown my mind.
Laura Leigh
Very odd. I have quite an old copy of it, and I can't give it up. No clue where I got it, but the illustrations and words are almost poetry, although child-like. I wasn't even sure I'd find this book on here.
Betsy
Aug 12, 2007 Betsy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who has been a child and likes to be intelligently amused.
Fantastic! Oh, to be the kind of adult who can dream up such wonderfully clever and amusing creations that are exactly the food a good child's mind can gobble up. . .
Sheherazahde
I got this book from the library when I was a child and I still remember it. Beautiful illustrations matched with mind bending ideas.
Jim
if derrida was a children's book author....... silly, fun, just the kind of stuff to put into the heads of small people.
Jennifer Cho
This book is so silly and fun. Be sure to check out the author's pic on the inside flap of the dust jacket. Zany guy.
After
I love Remy Charlip! I recommend all his imaginative books.
Morgan
Quite possibly one of the best books ever written.
Tara
My absolute favorite book as a child.
Elizabeth
Has my favorite octopus poem ever.
May
Magically witty. Wow.
Larissa
the best book in the world
Jennifer Chandler
Wow! I TOTALLY remember the very moment I received this book for Christmas, when I was about 5 years old. I had almost (but not) forgotten about it until I saw it on Goodreads today. Certain things, like the two octopuses walking arm in arm in arm in arm in arm in arm in arm in arm have stuck with me for the past 38 years :D
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
James Slattery
James Slattery marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Abraham 'Remy' Charlip (born January 10, 1929) is an American artist, writer, choreographer, theatre director, designer, and teacher.

He studied art at Straubenmuller Textile High School in Manhattan and fine arts at Cooper Union in New York, graduating in 1949.

In the 1960s, Charlip created a unique form of choreography, which he calls "air mail dances". He sends a set of drawings to a dance compan
More about Remy Charlip...
Fortunately Mother Mother I Feel Sick Send for the Doctor Quick Quick Quick Sleepytime Rhyme Why I Will Never Ever Ever Ever Have Enough Time to Read This Book A Perfect Day