Start by marking “Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift, #1)

Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  113 reviews
Warriors of the Rift

Once a generation, the rift between the paranormal world and the human world opens, allowing supernatural entities to cross. Vampire, demon, or shapeshifter, they can save the world-or send it spiraling into chaos.

Half-demon, half-human, Nix de la Fuente is accepted by neither and mistrusted by both. Determined to prove she's more human than not, she de
Published February 1st 2012 by Forever (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss of the Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss of the Vampire

Jill

The Rift allows Extra-Dimensionals or aliens to enter our world from the Other Dimension, and is caused by a comet passing near Earth every 73 years. In just under two years time Earth will see another influx of EDs. These aliens inhabit the bodies of humans manifesting as preternaturals - vampires, demons, shapeshifters, etc.

Nix de la Fuente is half-demon, half-human and a liaison between the local police authorities and the Council of Preternaturals. When a second prete is found murde
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I have to admit, while I was looking forward to reading Kiss of the Vampire, I was a bit nervous about the whole “dimensional” concept. It sounded like it might be a little bit on the science fiction side, and I wasn’t sure what I was going to get. However, after reading Kiss of the Vampire in one day, I am very happy to report that I really like this book and I definitely will recommend Kiss of the Vampire to paranormal readers.

The setting is in the modern world, however, supernatural beings ha
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
This was an amazing intro into Cynthia Garner's world of Prets.

This reminds me a little of Alexandra Ivy, but more...

Many preters have come through a rift that occurs in the atmosphere when a certain comet passes by the earth. Shifters, demons, vampires & pixies (along with several other types) take over bodies of humans when they enter. Many were criminals. Tobias Caine came in after a criminal from his world, who had just assassinated another vampire...

Nix de la Fuenta is half demon half
E.
3 1/2 stars
"Kiss of the Vampire" by Cynthia Garner is the first of her series about the preternaturals (pejoratively known as Extra-dimensionals/EDs) who have come to Earth from another dimension through a rift which usually opens every 73 years. Beings such as vampires, fairies, werewolves, shapeshifters and demons take possession of human bodies and confer their various powers upon the shell whose owner is dispossessed. Nix de la Fuente has the distinction of being a demon/human hybrid whose m
Danielle
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

I picked up this book because it looked like it had a new and fresh spin on the paranormal world. The mythology behind everything seemed so different and unique. While this book is indeed different from others in this genre and I did love the spin the author took, I found the romance aspect of it kind of lacking.

Nix and Tobias used to date and were pretty serious when all of a sudden Tobias broke up with Nix without any rhyme or reason. Nix ha
Cocktails and Books
Just when I thought I had the paranormal universe figured out, Cynthia Garner comes out with one hell of a scenario to explain why we have vampires, demons and shapeshifters. Would you have ever thought those supernatural beings were actually aliens who skipped through a temporal rift to our world and then stole human bodies to carry on? No? Me either, but you know what...the explanation works!

Nix de la Fuente, human liaison to the Council of Preternaturals, assists the police in solving crimes
Bookie | The BookChick
Book Description:
Once a generation, the rift between the paranormal world and the human world opens, allowing supernatural entities to cross. Called in to investigate a string of violent murders, special agent Tobias Caine isn't interested in rekindling his relationship with half-demon, half-human Nix de la Fuente. Yet one look and the vampire knows his need for her is as strong as ever.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this story a great deal. I like Ms. Garner's original spin on the origin of pret
Melanie

I really liked this book, it’s my kind of thing – A great murder mystery with a strong paranormal theme, a nice dose of romance and a larger series plot that had me hooked from the beginning. It had all the elements of a good paranormal urban fantasy should have, murder, suspense, prejudice, twists and turns with great characters, plenty of romance with a side helping of sexy time . . . what more could a girl want? The way the preternaturals came to be on earth is quite interesting & somethi
Christi Snow
My Review:

For simply the entertainment value of this read, this book rated very high for me. I loved both Nix and Tobias' characters and I loved their romantic story line. The history of their ill-fated love affair was gorgeous. I loved the fact that they are both still in love with each other regardless of the fact that they broke up 5 years ago. I liked the story of the conflict with Nix being half-demon/half-human and that being around Tobias put her demon half at odd with her human half to t
Jess Michaels
Imagine a world where vampires, shape-shifters, werewolves and demons not only exist, but have fought for their rights to become citizens and cautiously accepted members of society. Also imagine that they aren’t mystical creatures, but instead from other worlds, only accessing Earth through a rift that opens once every generation. They enter, they take over humans to live within our forms and their agendas?

Well, it depends on the creature.

This is the theory behind Cynthia Garner’s Warriors of th
Cindyg
I really enjoyed this book. It had a very interesting take on paranormal beings and how they came to be in our world.
This book is easy to follow, easy to get hooked on and easy peasy all around.
Tobias is wonderful, he's loyal, loving and fierce.
I respected Nix and her battle to keep her demon in check.
The love these two had for each other just jumped off the pages.
Both made sacrifices, both are strong and determined and I just loved them.
This is an easy, tense fun read with just enough of dram
Catherine
Eh. This one started off well, but it didn't last. I was very pleased by how much I was enjoying the book but then the relationship started to get a vibe to it that I didn't like. After that I kept losing interest, especially once the relationship delved into cutesy territory.

*Review posted on Fiction Vixen*
Latoya Smith
Hi!

I am happy to say I had the pleasure of editing this book. If you are looking for a unique spin on paranormal romance—particularly the start to a new paranormal series, this one including a sexy vampire and demon!—then this is the book for you!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

-L
Kati (Romancing Rakes For The Love of Romance)
***original review posted at Romancing Rakes***

Vampires, shifters and demons. Oh my! A fantastic start to a new paranormal series.

If Law & Order ever did an episode featuring creatures that go bump in the night, this book should be the basis of it. It starts off with a gruesome murder. Like white sheet over the disemboweled body so onlookers don't throw up kind of gruesome. (Do you hear the strains of the opening theme? Yeah, you're welcome.)

Nix de la Fuente serves as an investigative liaiso
Amyra
Ogni 73-75 anni una cometa passa vicino alla terra provocando l’apertura di una breccia temporale tra diverse dimensioni, permettendo a creature sovrannaturali di impossessarsi di corpi di essere umani. Sfortunatamente molte di queste creature sono criminali e la polizia umana si è ritrovata a dover collaborare con un Consiglio di sicurezza in cui sono presenti vampiri e licantropi, mentre i demoni non intendono collaborare. Nix De La Fuente è metà umana e metà demone, ed è l’agente di collegame ...more
Molly
Mar 03, 2012 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: Forever Romance Blog Tours
Shelves: favorites
This was a fabulous story! Cynthia Garner is a new to me author and I'll definitely be checking out more of her work in the future! Her writing style is highly unique and she instantly captivated me with her preternatural world. She takes the paranormal realm and twists is up with vampires, shifters,demons and other beings being from another planet, crossing over the "rift" and stealing the bodies to live among us. Definitely a new twist for this reader!

Nix de la Fuente is a demon-human who is
Melindeeloo
Kiss of the Vampire is exceedingly slow to get going, the suspense back plot and the former lovers poised on the brink of rekindling the flame has potential, but initially there isn't a great deal of build up in the investigation or of romantic tension, and both parts of the story take well in to the second half of the book to finally gain some momentum.

While investigating of series of brutal murders of supernaturals Nix de la Fuente hybrid half demon/human - born not possessed – will be forced
Dark Faerie Tales
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Enjoyable characters and dialogue but the ending felt a little lacking.

Opening Sentence: In just under two years this planet will see another Influx of incorporeal beings.

The Review:

Nix de la Fuente is a Human liaison for the supernatural community. As part of her job, she helps investigate murders involving humans and the supernatural. Nix passes herself off as human but most of the people who know that she is a demon treat her like a ticki
Lucy Dosch
Every 73 years a comet passes by the earth causing a rift between dimensions, and the Extra-Dimensional (ED) beings would push their criminals through the rift as punishment for their crimes, not even knowing or caring where they would end up. (Making Earth the Australia of the universe.)

The only exception to this is Tobias Caine, who was a secret service agent who followed the assassin of their king through the rift. Now Tobias is a vampire special investor to the Council of Preternaturals. He
Delia
*Spoilers*
Well let me start by saying I was lucky enough to score an advanced copy of Kiss of the Vampire in order to participate in Forever's Paranormal Blog tour. Since I am a fan of both Urban fantasy/paranormal and Sci-fi in general I was excited to jump right into this novel. Check out my blog for an author interview.

In Garner's world a rift between our dimension and another opens every 83 years letting beings slip in and inhabit normal human bodies. These
Maria
It was okay can't say that i didn't enjoy it. The setting is in our modern word.The Rift allows Extra-Dimensionals or aliens to enter our world from the Other Dimension, and is caused by a comet passing near Earth every 73 years and in 2 years Earth is about to see influx of the Extra-Dimensionals.Those Supernatural creatures takes over a human body when they arrive they ''take over'' human bodies and they ''transform'' them into vampires, demons, shapeshifters, creating a chaos among to the hum ...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Cynthia Garner puts a new twist on the supernatural with this first installment in her Warriors of the Rift series. In this world, vampires, shifters, and even demons were all once humans. But through a rift in space, the essence of otherworldly beings took over their bodies and now use them as vessels. The extra-terrestrial energies convert them into the preternatural creatures of legend.

Nix is a demon hybrid: with one demon and one human parent. Her life is a constant struggle to suppress her
Stephanie
Kiss of the Vampire
Cynthia Garner
January 4, 2012

Hachette BookGroup, Grand Central Publishing: Imprint-Forever January 31, 2012
Original post at: http://fangswandsandfairydust.blogspo...

This book ties Supernatural creatures and science fiction up in one nice neat package. The theory is that a comet allows, and has for milennia, a rift to open between another dimension and Earth. Beings go through or are pushed through the dimension and take the bodies of other beings. All types of paranormals do
Susan Jackson
I was lucky enough to read an advance copy of this paranormal romance/mystery. This is my first encounter with Ms. Garner's work and I am looking forward to reading more from her. This is the first in a series that involves vampires, demons, werewolves and pixies among other things. Alternate dimensions as well. The protagonist is half human and half demon and her issues with that are prominent in the book. She (Nix) also is the human liaison to the preternatural council - basically a cop. She a ...more
Blaire
REVIEW: This review has been posted on my blog: http://www.thepararomanceclub.blogspo...

I must admit that anything that includes the paranormal and romance in it, sign me on board! So you can imagine how many different 'Vampire' books I have read over the years and a lot of them aren't really worth a mention... but this definitely is! Sexy, dark, with a crime mystery right in the middle- definitely not your average run-of-the-mill Paranormal.

Nix, as a heroine, is tough, kick-ass and really gorg
My Book Addiction and More MBA
KISS OF THE VAMPIRE by Cynthia Garner is an exciting debut paranormal romance. It is the first in the "Warriors of the Rift" series. A rift between two worlds,the paranormal and the human world is opened. Where half-breed,Nix de la Fuente,(half-human/half demon)detective,will have her second chance with her true love. And Tobias Caine,special agent,a vampire,and Nix's true love but who is one a mission to find the friend him and his world. Together, they face passion,danger,murder,and a chance t ...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Book Description:

Review:

Nix is an interesting mix of demon and human, she must fight her demon side into submission everyday in
Natalie
So I picked this book up not really knowing what to expect. I knew that it's a PR....but not much else. The story line read like a typical PR....so I thought I would throw in a light read between the dark UF series I read. I did not expect to like this book as much as I do.

Characters....
Nix is a half demon living in a world where no one really likes demons....so she plays up her human side and tries to keep the demon at bay. She is a very strong female lead, but not afraid to be emotional. That
Mary Gramlich
KISS of the VAMPIRE by Cynthia Garner
Warriors of the Rift Series
02/12 - Grand Central Publishing - Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Does our past have to cloud any future we have together?

Being an enforcement officer under all circumstances is tough. For Nix de la Fuente she lives in a time where vampires, demons, and all sorts of creatures of the day and night roam. She is half-demon herself so her position is a help and a hindrance because not everyone trusts the non-human breed. Nix finds hers
Cana Elene (http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com)
Nix is a hybrid, half demon/half human, working for the council of Preternaturals as the human liaison. When attacks on vampires brings back her old flame, Tobias, she isn’t sure whether she hates him, or wants to just rip off his clothes and have her way with him.
Tobias hasn’t seen Nix in five years, and the only reason he left was because he felt that it was the only way to save her sanity from her conflicting demon side. He thinks he can stay strong, not tempt her demon to come out and play,
  • Midnight Reckoning (Dark Dynasties #2)
  • Deliver Me from Darkness (Paladin Warriors, #1)
  • Tempted by Blood (Sweetblood, #3)
  • King of Darkness (Chronicles of Yavn, #1)
  • Deadly is the Kiss (Primal Instinct World, #1)
  • Banshee Charmer (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, #1)
  • Chosen by Blood (Para-Ops, #1)
  • Blood Sin (Awakened by Blood, #2)
  • Wicked Road to Hell (League of Guardians, #1)
  • Chase Me (Underbelly Chronicles #2)
  • Dreaming of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #8)
  • Devil Without a Cause (The Devil's Bargain, #1)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Darkness Bound (Chimney Rock #1)
  • Eternal Demon (Mark of the Vampire, #5)
  • A Demon Does It Better (Hex, #6)
  • Vampire Dreams (Victorian Erotic, #1)
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
Cynthia Garner discovered her love for making up stories at the age of twelve when her teacher told her to write a story that started “It was a dark and stormy night…” But she didn’t think about making it a profession until 2005, when she began entering—and winning—writing contests.

Under her alternate ego Sherrill Quinn she has three Kensington Brava paranormal romance books and a novella as part
More about Cynthia Garner...
Secret of the Wolf (Warriors of the Rift, #2) Heart of the Demon (Warriors of the Rift, #3) Into the Rift (Warriors of the Rift, #1.5) Vampire's Hunger (Awakening, #1) Vampire's Thirst (Awakening, #2)