Start by marking “How Now Brown Frau” as Want to Read:
How Now Brown Frau

How Now Brown Frau

A poignant, revealing and hilarious memoir about what happened when a former Playschool presenter (and brothel receptionist) woke up one morning in Munich four months pregnant, without a word of German under her belt, and surrounded by Bavarians! It's a tale about friendship, marriage and motherhood and how even a feminist can own a Dirndl.
In her first book, There's A Bear
Published October 3rd 2011 by Allen & Unwin Australia (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How Now Brown Frau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Now Brown Frau

Georgia
Jan 27, 2012 Georgia rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiograhy
As a New Zealand woman living in Stuttgart (as opposed to an Australian woman living in Munich) I absolutely, 100% related to Eastman's story. It had a much greater emotional effect on me than I think it would a non-German dweller, who might just think it was cute and funny. From my point of view, while it was amusing and charming, it was also terribly cliched - I probably could have written it myself. For me it's no longer hilarious when an English speaker says "I am horny" when they meant to ...more
Melissainau
Jun 04, 2013 Melissainau rated it really liked it
I don't know how much fun this book would be if I didn't know about a bajillion Germans, didn't speak German, and hadn't lived there. But because I do, the book had me literally crying with laughter as there were so many things I could relate to. And even if I hadn't, I still think I'd've enjoyed it. Just gorgeous.
Bec
Jun 13, 2012 Bec rated it liked it
The third installment in Merridy's life story - had me laughing out out - even on the train (don't tell the germans) this one focus on Merridy moving to German to be with her future husband Tom and how she struggles to fit in.

Was a good read - hope there is more to come
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
If you are Australian then Merridy Eastman most likely looks familiar. She has acted in a variety of homegrown television series including Neighbours, Always Greener and Playschool and is currently seen in Packed To the Rafters. How Now, Brown Frau is her third book and I have read both of her previous titles, There's a Bear in There and Ridiculous Expectations: Or How to Find a Prince which were both a collection of amusing anecdotes about her career and her personal life.
How Now Brown Frau is
Pauline
Feb 08, 2013 Pauline rated it liked it
In her third book Merridy has found love and moved to a strange land. It’s no fairytale, despite the prevalence of castles in the region, but it’s certainly memorable.
I’ve heartily enjoyed reading about Merridy Eastman’s life over the last few weeks. I’ve also discovered that funny autobiography is a great genre for the breastfeeding mother. Every now and then the little fella will pop off and smile up at his chuckling mother. You just don’t get that with Richard Flanagan.
Some of the funniest
Sharon
Mar 02, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Good book, she is a braver person than me, I have to confess there are moments in this book, where I am sure if I was put in the same situation I would have gone "Nup, stuff it, I am going back to Australia, I will let you know how the kid is after it is born"
I was a bit sad to see she returned to Australia, especially when she had gone through so much and achieved so much by the end.
Many laughs included, especially the phone calls home to hear about the parents dog. (one conversation had me in
Lauren Carnell
Jan 19, 2015 Lauren Carnell rated it liked it
A lighthearted easy reading biography of Merridy Eastman. I did not join her fan club when she was an actress but i do enjoy reading her books. They way she tells everyday tales of her life, even the embarrassing bits that will make you giggle- she is an inspiration as she has overcome numerous hurdles- and it reminds me that I need to make the most out of all the opportunities that come my way in order to live a full and happy life.
Jennifer Forest
Jun 09, 2012 Jennifer Forest rated it really liked it
Very amusing read, perfect to relax with at the end of they day. Some absolutely hilarious episodes, including her description of jet lag, the funniest I have ever read. Not just a hilarious book, also insightful about the cross cultural German / Australian experience.
Michele Davis
Jan 10, 2013 Michele Davis rated it really liked it
Found this in an op shop, wasn't expecting much, but I really loved it! Loved hearing all about the Germans (weird!) and her life in Munich, the maternity hospital (alarming!)
Love her sense of humor!
Will definitely seek out her first 2 books.
Jenny
Oct 23, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
The third book in a biographical series written by Merridy Eastman , ex playschool presenter, brothel secretary (There's a bear in there and he wants Swedish)and finding love (Ridiculous expectations). Very enjoyable, laugh outloud series!
Rosemary O'donoghue
Sep 16, 2013 Rosemary O'donoghue rated it really liked it
Insightful and hilarious. Found myself laughing out loud on the train, and at home. Interesting observations about differences in culture
Jo Cleveland
Oct 06, 2012 Jo Cleveland rated it really liked it
My sister lives in southern germany, the stories certainly had their similarities. Merridy tells a great fun yarn.
Rebecca
Jul 01, 2016 Rebecca marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kristakaye
Kristakaye rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Karen Jones
Karen Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Shadoshard
Aug 21, 2014 Shadoshard rated it it was amazing
So accurate and delightful, it made me homesick!
Bec
Bec rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Evrim
Evrim rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Carol Keenan
Mar 08, 2015 Carol Keenan rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Well worth a read!!
Jacklyn Nailon
Jacklyn Nailon rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Dianne
Dianne rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Sylvia Wols
Sylvia Wols rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
Heather Barrett
Feb 18, 2014 Heather Barrett rated it really liked it
Third book from this author, still laugh out loud moments. Not high literature but so enjoyable.
Bri
Bri rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Merridy Eastman is a writer and actress who lives in Sydney with her German husband Tom, and their son Henry.

A NIDA graduate, Merridy has performed in a swag of productions for the Melbourne and Sydney Theatre Companies and spent several summers leaping about botanical gardens across Australia, bringing Shakespeare to the masses. As well as being an ex Play School presenter, Merridy has also had m
More about Merridy Eastman...