Start by marking “The French Have a Word for It” as Want to Read:
The French Have a Word for It

The French Have a Word for It

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  611 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
A short story by Josh Lanyon.

It's been ten years since Colin Lambert last saw Thomas Sullivan, his former bodyguard. Now Colin's all grown up and Thomas is in Paris for one evening. A sweet short story about second chances.
Published (first published November 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The French Have a Word for It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French Have a Word for It

Nick Pageant
Sep 02, 2015 Nick Pageant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, favorite-authors
Very good, very short story from Josh Lanyon. I try to read all his mysteries, and I love them, but I also love it when he writes these little romances. They're always bittersweet and the language is just right. This one gets major bonus points for being set in Paris.

Big kiss with lots of tongue to Giulio for recommending this.
Sofia
Nov 30, 2015 Sofia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-5-stars

Had this with tea in bed this morning. It was a nice little breakfast, definitely a good way to start my day.

Irina
Audio

Quite nice little story about a young artist and his ex-bodyguard. I would've loved it to be a full size novel though.

***3.7 stars***

Katharina
May 18, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
The French Have a Word for It is a lovely and very sweet short story set in Paris. It features Colin, a painter who wants to make it on his own without the help of his very rich and overbearing grandfather, and Thomas Sullivan, Colin's former bodyguard that he hasn't seen in 10 years.

Meeting Thomas in Paris by chance brings back memories for Colin, good and bad, as well as hopes for the future. Thomas was once Colin's first love and now, 10 years later, Colin is finally ready to let him know. B
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Aug 12, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it
Buddy read with my girls, because they love me and I love Lanyon and they waited for me. Here is to hoping Mish gets some sleep and getting Cat out of her DIY shit.

Sweet. I couldn't help but think of Nick for reasons. Huge Lanyon fangirl and this was comforting. Thanks for waiting girls. Now I need some on page sex.
Tina
Mar 22, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it

Aww... Paris. The people, the wine, the food, the artists, the colours... Josh Lanyon takes us along to a short (too short!) trip to the City of Love. Yeah, we all know the word(s) in french:

Je t'aime!

After ten years Colin meets Thomas again, the man he could't forget. And still he has that little something... 'je ne sais quoi'.

Josh weaves a beautiful, melodious, colourful and emotional story around two guys and second chances. I enjoyed the light read that left me wanting more...

Bark's Book Nonsense
May 24, 2012 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, romance
This was a sweet, beautifully descriptive short about a young painter, making his way in the world, who meets up with the man he idolized and secretly loved as a young teen. Though there is no sex here, there is great characterization and sexual tension. I'm definitely going to search out some of this author's longer work.
~~~Heather S.~~~
May 24, 2012 ~~~Heather S.~~~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Very sweet, subtle short story that left me with a smile on my face! Beautiful imagery- I almost felt like I was in Montmartre with Colin and Thomas, experiencing the sites, smelling the food. My first official m/m love story, definitely not my last and not the last I read of Josh Lanyon's work.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I loved this short story. very cute and sweet
Deanna Against Censorship
A tender story of a young artist who had survived a kidnapping in his youth and the man who had saved him and protected him. Colin is living in Paris trying to make it on his own as an artist. When he was a teenager he had a crush on his bodyguard. He has had no contact with Thomas since leaving for college. They meet as adults in Paris and the chemistry is there. The Montmartre setting is the perfect background. I am a little prejudice on that as I think Paris is the perfect city and Montmartre ...more
Ami
May 24, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-short-stories
I read this last year -- wonder why I never put it here. Maybe because it wasn't in the database before? I thought, as a short, it was romantic. A young guy reacquinted with his old crush. And it's Paris! The City of Love. Need more stories around Paris :)
Lena♥Ribka

Nice, but it doesn't belong to my favourite of Josh Lanyon.

A bit kitschy for my taste.

Tully Vincent
Jul 19, 2015 Tully Vincent rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Short set in Paris. Sweet but predictable. Well-written as always.
3.5 rounded up.
Alisa
This was just ok for me. It was well written as usual by this author but a bit of the plot made me uncomfortable. Yes, nothing happened between them when Colin was a teenager (starting at age 14) but Thomas admitted he was attracted to him at age 17. There's talk of how their "friendship" developed when Colin was between ages 14-18. It all just creeped me out. My inner mandated reporter was screaming so loudly in my head I couldn't concentrate on the story.
Alex
May 24, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, romance
Overall:
A brief, sweet tale of long ago crushes returning. Colin is hiding from his grandfather when he meets his old crush Thomas. But all isn't what it seems. It was moving and rewarding (although not hot) in a very short space.

What I liked
Emotions. While a short piece, we easily get attached to our narrator and experience his emotions.

Story. We are given plenty of back story without bogging down current events, and everything is fleshed out smoothly. We understand the characters without bein
Dani
3,5 stars.

Very interesting relationship dynamic - and as so often Lanyon describes the stomach-dropping sensation of betrayal so very well. Together with the Christmas Coda this might even be 4 stars.
Don Bradshaw
Colin Lambert, only heir to a massive fortune, was kidnapped at age 14 and subsequently rescued by handsome F.B.I.agent, Thomas Sullivan who instantly becomes Colin's fantasy man. Traumatized and constantly under his grandfather's thumb, Colin rebels as soon as he is of age. Determined to put as much space between himself and his grandfather, Colin moves to Paris to study painting. Thomas appears out of the blue right infront of the now grown Colin in Paris. Was it really out of the blue or som ...more
Erin (PT)
This is like a carefully selected piece of candy. That is, you know exactly what you're getting from the story's outset but that's totally okay, because you picked because that's what you wanted: a delicious bite of sweetness.
Chris
May 24, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, 2010, ebook
Very good short m/m romance about a young man painting in France who runs into the bodyguard who rescued him from kidnappers when he was a teen.
Kaetrin
3.5 stars.

Last month, when I bought Heart Trouble, I also bought a number of other novels and short stories by Josh Lanyon (Twitter is my book enabler). This is a sweet short about an American guy in Paris, there to pursue his painting career and get out from the watchful eye of his wealthy grandfather. When he was 14, Colin was kidnapped and Thomas was the bodyguard who rescued him and then make sure of his safety until Colin went off to college. Colin thinks of Thomas as his first love but re
Johanna
May 24, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story was oh, so romantic - and aesthetically written. It was more than just a short story, it was almost like a painting, too. And maybe like a chanson hummed by an artist while sketching in Montmartre. I truly enjoyed the multidisciplinary feel of Josh Lanyon's writing.

I found the description of Paris very poetic and beautiful. My favorite part was this one:

(view spoiler)
jerica
Jul 10, 2012 jerica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-i-have
1. I adored the descriptions in this book. The imagery was vivid and I could see where they were and the atmosphere of the place, despite never having been to France.

2. It's a short story, so the characters weren't developed as well as they could have been--that said, I can see why the development was so little, but I was still disappointed. There are plenty of short stories that have been able to put great characterizations even if they're only less than fifty pages (The Chaser, A Clean Well Li
Catherine
Lovely short story. Probably would have been a full 5-star read for me if not for the fucking FADE TO BLACK after making these men wait 10 years for their shot at happiness together.
Melissa
I cried! I am such a sap. (view spoiler)

Colin was kidnapped when he was 14. His grandfather is an important/ri
Vio
May 24, 2012 Vio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-read, sweet, lovely
A Lovely reunion in Paris, Colin and Thomas meeting up again after 10 years, finally there chance at happiness is realised. Sweet and romantic and Paris is the perfect setting for this tender romance.
Ayanna
Oct 15, 2013 Ayanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute. I'm still confused about the significance of red other than "RED IS THE COLOR OF SEX!"
Khaoula
i know it's a reasonable ending but.....i wanted more! i always want more of you Josh ......
Intricacy Alterite
Feb 05, 2014 Intricacy Alterite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read
Lovely tale taking place in Paris. As a French native I was happy to see that Paris and the French way of life were not too idealized and somewhat realistic.
The main character strikes as a bit naive due to his age but I loved how the story twisted around that and showed why, and how he grew in the short span of the story. I would have loved a full love scene and not a fade to black, but hey, I'm a perv ;-)
However, I'm still not sure what is the word that we French have and if the author reads t
blub
A nice short. Colin is living his life in Paris as a struggling artist away from his overprotective and domineering grandfather. On one of his days drawing outdoors, Colin runs into Thomas, his crush and childhood hero. Believing it's a coincidence, Colin is more than happy to reconnect, as is Thomas. But when the truth comes to light, Colin is hurt and the ball is in Thomas court to fix the wrong.

I thought this was a cute short read. I wanted to see more of them and maybe there will be a anothe
  • Thaw (PsyCop #1.1)
  • Scared Stiff
  • His For The Holidays
  • And to All a Good Night (Life Lessons, #1.5)
  • Nine Lights Over Edinburgh
  • Date Night (Zero at the Bone, #1.1)
  • First Impressions (First Impressions, #1)
  • Marked (Roads, #1.5)
  • Simple Gifts (Cornwall Novellas, #2)
  • Get What You Need
  • One of Those Days
  • The Promise (Coda Books #3.5)
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...