Blank-133x176
L.A. Dead

Stuart Woods

L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington #6)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  4,622 ratings  ·  112 reviews
Stone Barrington, the always surprising attorney and investigator, finds himself caught between two alluring women - one who has been left at the altar and another who is suspected of murder. Stone is in the midst of plans to marry Dolce, the daughter of a New York mafioso, when he is suddenly called to the side of Arrington Calder, a woman he has loved and lost, but never...more
Audio CD
Published November 6th 2000 by Brilliance Audio

Marguerite Czajka
It was an easy read and the mystery part was okay. But the author added in some nonsensical sex. The lead character, Stone, is called from his Italian wedding because a huge movie star (lots of paparazzi) has been murdered. Within a couple days of the murder, Stone is having sex with the star's personal assistant as well as the star's widow, who happens to the only suspect and Stone's ex. Every woman he meets, apart from the maid, is really hot for him and wears either nothing or a bikini. I thi...more
Jan
Gift from a friend. Actually this was the Audio book. Brilliantly read by actor Tony Roberts who did wonderful voice and accents.

Story. Ex-Cop Stone Barrington is about to get married, but still in love with an ex-girlfriend who dumped him and married a movie actor. He is in Italy for his marriage, he has a civil ceremony and the church wedding is the next day. In the middle of all of this his ex-girlfriends husband is murdered, and he dumps his bride and rushes to the ex-girlfriends side.

I tota...more
Johnny
If one simply judges a mystery by the "reveal" of the murderer, L.A. Dead is a ringing success. I wanted the murderer to be the person said murderer turned out to be, but I wasn't really successfully following the investigation. I'm sure those who regularly read my reviews are going to be surprised that I picked up another mystery by Woods, given that I thought the character was rather shallow, self-absorbed, and irresponsibly promiscuous (the name, Stone, being rather descriptive of a hardened...more
Betty
his latest installment in Woods's Stone Barrington thriller series finds the lawyer/sleuth from New York back in Los Angeles on a murder case in which everyone, even the accused, lazes along, enjoying life in sunny Southern California. In his sixth outing (following 1999's Worst Fears Realized), Barrington is surrounded by his usual cast of friends, acquaintances and casual sex partners. The biggest change here is that his ex-lover, Arrington Calder, stands accused of murdering her husband, movi...more
JBradford
My brother turned me onto Stuart Woods a couple summers ago when he passed on to me a box full of books he was done with (some of which I have not yet gotten around to reading), and I have enjoyed the ones I read, so I was happy to pick up four more of his books at a recent library book sale (at $3 a bagful, which I could not resist). I was then even happier to find that three of the four were Stone Barrington novels and in sequence, so reading the three of them one after the other was like read...more
Katy
Whodunit? We're all left not quite sure at the end . . . but we have a great deal of fun getting there.

Stone, determined to complicate his life as much as possible (and forget the love of his life, Arrington, who is married to the movie star Vance Calder) has traveled to Venice, Italy to marry Dolce, Eduardo Bianci's daughter (and his best friend Dino's sister-in-law). He is informed that for the marriage to be properly realized in Italy, there must be both a civil and religious ceremony - howe...more
Renee Jennings
This latest installment in Woods's Stone Barrington thriller series finds the lawyer/sleuth from New York back in Los Angeles on a murder case in which everyone, even the accused, lazes along, enjoying life in sunny Southern California. In his sixth outing (following 1999's Worst Fears Realized), Barrington is surrounded by his usual cast of friends, acquaintances and casual sex partners. The biggest change here is that his ex-lover, Arrington Calder, stands accused of murdering her husband, mov...more
Bob0link
This is the 6th book in the Stone Barrington series (I recommend reading from the beginning).

In L. A. Dead, Stone finds himself caught between two alluring women-one who has been left at the altar and another who is suspected of murder. Stone is in the midst of plans to marry Dolce, the daughter of a New York mafioso, when he is suddenly called to the side of Arrington Calder, a woman he has loved and lost, but never forgotten. To her horror, Arrington believes she is about to be indicted for t...more
Will
Sharon
For someone who supposedly is trying to mend a broken relationship, Stone Barrington falls into bed with any and every woman who shows the slightest interest. Then he's surprised when the woman he loves gets pissed at seeing a tabloid photo of him with another woman? Hmmmm -- otherwise, another great story from Stuart Woods.
Gina Morelli
It's been a while, but I remember loving this book. Thinking Stone Barrington was one lucky guy and laughing as I reading this in the bathtub a decade ago. I was young and I was tickled reading this book...it took me away from my reality world into a fictional world of Stone Barrington! A relaxing fun read.
Bel
I just wonder if he will ever encounter a woman who looks 'normal' and not model-beautiful....

As usual a romp from start to finish, a decent supposed murderer reveal and lots of glitz. These books aren't high brow but they are good fun
E.J. Simon
I love Stuart Woods and have probably lost the ability to be objectively critical - even if I needed to be - of his books. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorites!
Meakin
A light and easy read. You don't have to be a scholar to read these. Probably it helps that you're not. Love Stuart Woods. But this one was sort of simplistic.
Gramy
In this book, Stone Barrington is caught between multiple women drawn by his lust. His faith in the woman he lived with and wanted to marry is questioned when Arrington is arrested for murdering her husband. There are no other suspect being considered by the police. Stone vows to do everything he can to prove her innocense with the help of a local attorney who advises him to keep his distance from Arrington until her trial for murder is completed. Meantime, he finds plenty of sexual partners to...more
Bud Mallar
Sorry, but these aren't Sherlock Holmes stories, but Stone Barrington, who gets into more scrapes, beds, women, rich places in one book covering about a week than most of us even dream about in a lifetime.

Not great drama, although, even with the twist at the end, I'm still not sure whodunit.

I do like the series because I don't have to pay that much attention, and they are an easy read, and I don't have to think about it when finished - although one could argue Stone's morality and ethics.

But, as...more
Howard
I really enjoyed this 6th instalment. The women keep coming .. good plot and a great page turner.
Holly
These Stone Barrington novels are pretty quick reads. I'm going to complain against by the amount of unnecessary sex...apparently there isn't a woman on earth that won't sleep with this guy Stone! Anyway...the plot itself was good. Since my husband is enjoying these books (I wonder why??? ha!), we have a big stash of them at the house, but not all of them. I'm trying to read them in order. This came after DIRT but I think there were two in between that we didn't have so I missed a little bit. Bu...more
Merry Cobb
I love the Stone Barrington series and can't wait to read the next book.
Irene Imboden
It is clear to me that Woods is a misogynist who knows women are good for only one thing. Using "she doesn't like wearing terry cloth robes" as a defense in a murder trial? SMH
Judy
too much eating,drinking,getting in and out of beds
Gerald
I got hooked on Stuart Woods' Stone Barington novels several months ago when I checked out SON OF STONE in the CD version, which I listen to in my car. As soon as I have finished one, I head back to the library to check out the next one. It makes me look forward to going somewhere in the car, so I can find out what happens next in the novel. The only "mistake" I've made is that I have not read them in chronological order. I am currently enjoying L.A. Dead very much.
Alice
Always leaves you hanging...
Karen
Woods brings Stone Barrington back into action when a former lover is accused of murdering her husband. He leaves a cushy vacation to assist Arrington meanwhile his unbalanced and possessive fiance is stalking him in LA.

The suspense is taught as Barrington and company try to clear the young woman and dodge bullets from his kooky paramour. The dialogue is fantastic and the characters are rich.
Melissa
I accidentally read 14 and 15 of this series first and have been reading them completely out of order. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was still a page turner. These books have many typographical errors and the author's note at the end of the book makes him seem like an ass, but I have to say, I was hooked and can't wait to read them all.
Cheryl
Ah, this poor poor man! He keeps finding himself with different naked ladies who all want his body. How he keeps them apart... Well, he doesn't.

This is a murder mystery set in Hollywood with links to Italy and the East Coast. Will Stone Barrington get his client/former lover off? How much trouble can one man get into?

The trouble is quite entertaining.
Mary Fitzsimons
I had this in my to be read box and pulled it out in honor of Elaine, from Elaine's restaurant in NYC. She was a friend to many authors including the author of this book Stuart Woods. He opened many of his books with scenes set at Elaine's. May she rest in peace.

It is one of my favorite's of this series so far and I'd rate it a 4.4 out of 5.
Theresa
Love this book series. Very easy to read and entertaining. The only annoyance is the author trying to make Stone Barrington a playboy. This series is worth the read though. Suspense is always good enough to keep you engaged until the end. Best enjoyed if read in order as the stories are continuous and the characters are building history.
Mary Newcomb
Apparently Stone Barrington is so amazing that women can not resist his charms. Somehow this is not his fault. He also manages to become embroiled in some high level mysteries amongst the rich and famous. While the mystery was OK, the rest was a bit much. I am thinking this series is joining my Do Not Read category. Bye Stone!
Dr. Thomas Wasser
It was an entertaining read, but not the best in the series. Had kind of an expected ending. For Stone Barrington fans who have always wanted to know about how the Stone and Dolce relationship exploded this is the bood to read. Its got nothing to do with the story at hand really but its good to know as you read other books.
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2: The Last Coyote / Trunk Music / Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #4-6)
  • Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3)
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • Rough Weather (Spenser, #36)
  • Try Fear
  • The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2)
  • Invisible Boy (Madeline Dare, #3)
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • The New Centurions
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18) Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)