Start by marking “After Annie” as Want to Read:
After Annie

After Annie

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  165 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
An irresistible tale about love and the theater, After Annie is an astonishing first novel. Herbie Aaron is one half of a celebrity marriage. He and Annie have been famous, nobodies, and mingled with the rich and crazy. Through it all, they've been passionate lovers and fast friends. But when Annie dies of cancer, Herbie is lost.

If you think this is going to be a tragic ta
Published March 1st 2012 by Overlook Press

To ask other readers questions about After Annie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Annie

miss.mesmerized
Oct 31, 2014 miss.mesmerized rated it it was amazing
Die Geschichte einer Liebe, die zu Ende geht. Seit Jahrzehnten lieben sich Annie und Herbie. Sie teilen nicht nur das Leben, sondern auch den Beruf. Sie sind Schauspieler und gehen ganz in dieser Künstlerwelt auf. Als Seelenverwandte bezaubern sie ihre Umwelt, doch selbst ihre Tochter Candy kann nie in die Welt der beiden eindringen, die eine undurchbrechbare Symbiose darstellt. Gelegentlich nehmen sie sich gemeinsam Liebhaberinnen, manchmal auch alleine - der Sex mit anderen kann ihrer Verbindu ...more
Richard
Feb 18, 2015 Richard rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mature theatre folk
Recommended to Richard by: mom
I managed to read this entire book without ever deciding whether I liked it or not. I guess this review is mixed. I enjoyed the insights into the world of acting and theatre. I'm not interested at all in golf or the narrator's personal/family life. I probably spent too much time pondering how much of this book might be autobiographical since it was written by one of the stars of LA Law.
Ann
May 20, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I wanted to like this book. Then I started reading it and I didn't think that was going to happen. First of all, I didn't much like Herbie or the lifestyle he described. The sex and booze we all suspect is indulged in by theatrical types is very much in evidence. And, of course, since the author (and his wife) are well-known performers, we assume the book is built on their relationship and lives, whether that is true or not. But something happened after a few pages and I fell in love with the ch ...more
Amos
May 14, 2012 Amos rated it really liked it
Simply beautiful :)
Lori Paximadis
Mar 14, 2012 Lori Paximadis rated it liked it
Eh. On one level, I liked this unusual story of a man learning to cope after losing his wife to cancer. Life goes on, and all that. On another level, none of the characters reached out and grabbed me, and I didn't feel like any of them other than the main character, Herbie -- and he only more so in comparison -- were particularly well developed. And he wasn't all that likeable or charming to me -- I had a hard time figuring out what about him was so compelling.

And still feel like there ought to
John Young
Aug 01, 2013 John Young rated it liked it
I recently finished After Annie by Michael Tucker. The novel centers on the intersection of two people: Herb Aaron and the beautiful bartender, Olive. The two are at polar opposites. Herb is decades removed from his success as an actor, such that when people recognize him he is merely "that guy who played on that show." Olive is a young actress who needs Herb to be there for her in order to make in the business. Problem is Herb is exhausted, cantankerous, and in mourning over the loss of his wif ...more
Jane
Jan 04, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Herbie Aaron, the main character in Michael Tucker’s book After Annie, is not a likeable guy. He drinks, he smokes pot (while driving), he swears, and he fooled around on his dying wife Annie. Herbie and Annie are actors. Years ago, they starred in a hit television series together. Annie is now in the hospital, dying of cancer.

Despite the fooling around, Herbie and Annie are soul mates. Their daughter Candy thinks, “Her mom and dad have always inhabited a world unto themselves. When she was a li
Dana Schroeder
Jun 09, 2012 Dana Schroeder rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
After Annie is a novel about Herbie who loses his wife, Annie. Annie's death is difficult for Herbie because despite his various life choices as an actor, he is totally devoted to her. One night after leaving the hospital Annie is in, Herbie goes to a nearby bar and flirts with Olive, the bartender, as he nurses his dread about Annie's impending death with vodka. Herbie brings Olive to the hospital to meet Annie and they become quick friends. After Annie's death, Herbie helps Olive break into th ...more
Janice Cafarelli
Nov 12, 2015 Janice Cafarelli rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book did not realize who the Author was but once I did I could see he most likely drew some of the ideas in his book from his personal life. This book is an offbeat look into what the life of an actor both at the start of a career and end of one could be like and what being an actor can do to your family life. I enjoyed the book but wished it had gone on a bit further and explore the actors life deeper
Janelle Revier
Jul 16, 2015 Janelle Revier rated it it was amazing
I just loved it. It was perfect in every way. I sunk into it. When it became apparent it would end, I mourned.
Beth Gordon
Aug 18, 2012 Beth Gordon rated it liked it
This book made me more curious about the author and how much of this book was taken from his life. The author is an actor in theater and TV, just like the main character in the book. He's married to an actress (Jill Eikenberry), who had breast cancer - just like the main character's actress wife in the book.

The book spans the last few days of the wife's life to a few months afterward. There's an interesting angle just before the wife's death that I find a bit...unusual that continues throughout
Trisha Zimmel
Adult fiction. So human. So easy to connect to the loss and love and family relationships.
Jmolentin
Pretty good, not real good. The golf stuff went on too long, the theatre stuff not enough.
Sandra Alderman
Feb 16, 2016 Sandra Alderman rated it really liked it
Great read! Loved it, will read again.
Kaitlin
May 12, 2012 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful read. The relationships are really well-drawn, everything is believable, and it's touching without being overly depressing.

My favorite part of the book was the part before Annie died. After that, the book slowed down. I lost interest with the golf scenes. It picks up then, and there are movements in time so we see Annie again later, but the start of the book is by far the most compelling part.

I likely will read this again and will look forward to other books by Tucker.
Tracy
Jun 04, 2012 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I loved Michael Tucker's book about living in Italy, but this one did not hook me at all. In fact, it kind of skewed me out b/c it talks about the main character and his wife engaging in threesomes with other women. I have heard that the author and his real life wife (Jill Eikenberry, both of LA Law fame), used to practice tantric sex, so the threesome action hit a little close to home for this prude. Mostly, though, I just didn't find it compelling after a few chapters, so I set it aside.
Reid Nichols
Apr 05, 2012 Reid Nichols rated it it was ok
I guess I didn't think this was going to be a 'look at how badass my character is' type of book. That kind of stuff gets boring real quick. There are some decent parts in this book, but overall it's forgettable. It could have been much better if the emphasis was on what the characters were going through rather than how the protagonist 'ordered another drink, and then another then some stuff happened and then he got some more drinks...'
Lane
Aug 06, 2013 Lane rated it it was amazing
This book was really, really good. The characters were so multi-faceted and real. For me, the storyline hardly mattered, because the characters were so interesting. But it was good, too. As someone with many friends involved in theatre, the story was fascinating. It's a bit deeper than what I usually read, but it was magnificent.
Cindy Turner
Apr 13, 2012 Cindy Turner rated it it was ok
I don't know who Michael Tucker is, I don't have a television and I don't follow Hollywood who's who.
I should have stopped after reading the dedication. It pretty much tells you the whole story...
This will appeal to some, but it didn't to me. I gave it a two because it does have a beginning, a middle, and an end.
Mary
Aug 04, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
This is a love story in which one of the couple, the wife, dies early on in the book. How the husband learns to go on with his life is both touching and funny though there are times that I don't think that much of his lifestyle. It passed the time, but I won't put it in a friend's hands.
Nora
Jul 16, 2012 Nora rated it it was amazing
This was a surprise find for me. I loved the voice of the characters in this book, and the story made me want to laugh and cry. Annie is a beautiful character and her family's loss rings so true it hurts. This is a short book and a quick read, but it would be worth it at twice of both.
Stacey V
Oct 01, 2012 Stacey V rated it really liked it
A book about reality in the aftermath of a loved one's death. Told from an omniscient point of view, switching back and forth between the two main characters, Herbie and Olive. Poignant yet not pretentious and while still maintaining a sense of comedic wit. That's not easy to do.
Desiree'
Sep 03, 2012 Desiree' rated it really liked it
The only reason this did not get a fifth star is i feel the ending was really finished..i feel as if it was rushed...there could be more...but over all a great read...i like the intimate scenes :)
Jun 25, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it
The synopsis got me on this book. Little did I know it was going to be gross. It was not only gross, but boring as well. I finished it only because it fit into a category in my reading challenge.
Taddie
Sep 12, 2015 Taddie rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Actually I really liked the book, the style, the story. Some different insides of actors life and simply a different love story with another concept of a relationship but not less romantic.
Darth
Oct 04, 2012 Darth rated it did not like it
Read the first 19 pages and flipped through the rest. Didn't feel like wasting my time on this book. Did not find Herbie appealing enough to want to read more.
Amy
Jan 09, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
I read this when it was an Advance Reader Copy titled "So It Goes". I LOVED it! Cannot say enough about how much I enjoyed it.
Lesley
Sep 21, 2012 Lesley rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
I liked the first half of the book better than the second half. But it was a charming tale!
Wellington City Libraries
Was fantastic! Appaliing to think of how quickly the 'love of a life' can be replaced
  • Glory Goes and Gets Some
  • Superior Women
  • We Love You, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #19)
  • Malice in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #10)
  • Watching the Ghosts (Joe Plantagent, #4)
  • Foul Ball: My Life and Hard Times Trying to Save an Old Ballpark, Plus Part Two
  • Finding You/Knowing You
  • Letters from War: A Novel
  • Mosby's Rangers
  • Lost Voices
  • The Book for Dangerous Women: A Guide to Modern Life
  • Winterton Blue
  • Help Me, I'm Worried!: Overcoming Emotional Battles With The Power Of God's Word (Help Me, Series)
  • Norumbega Park: A Novel
  • Transmission (Ragnarok, #2)
  • Forever, Victoria
  • Requiem by Fire: A Novel
  • Der Pfau

“If you say, 'I really love this girl except for this one thing--if I could just change this one thing, then everything would be perfect,' then you've already lost her.” 5 likes