Start by marking “Mr. Rinyo-Clacton's Offer” as Want to Read:
Mr. Rinyo-Clacton's Offer

Mr. Rinyo-Clacton's Offer

Jonathan Fitch is distraught when his girfriend, Serafina, leaves him. He is so desperate that when the peculiar Mr Rinyo-Clacton offers him one million pounds but only one year to live, he agrees to the proposal. But what happened next was even more shocking.
Published October 1st 2003 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Rinyo-Clacton's Offer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Rinyo-Clacton's Offer

MJ Nicholls
Jan 29, 2014 MJ Nicholls rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, merkins
One of the most cohesive and entertaining of Hoban’s novels of recycled tropes and obsessions, this 1998 effort places the Mephistophelean eccentric Mr. Rinyo-Clacton before another shambling beleaguered Hoban hero, dangling the prospect of one million pounds in Jonathan Finch’s heartsick face in exchange for his death in a year’s time. Having lost his life-love Serafina through his infidelities, he accepts the offer as a form of penitent sacrifice, intending to bequeath the cash to his lady so ...more
Patrick
Jun 27, 2015 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Russell Hoban is best known today for ‘Riddley Walker’, a wonderfully strange and quite unique post-apocalyptic novel set in the very distant aftermath of a nuclear war where society has rebuilt itself along medieval lines. It’s written in a rich and dense mixed-up argot, an invented punning language along the lines of ‘A Clockwork Orange’ or perhaps even ‘Finnegans Wake’. But the author’s other work is less well known, perhaps because it is (at first glance) less superficially unusual.

He was a
Mudge
Nov 05, 2016 Mudge rated it it was amazing
6 stars
Sae-chan
Oct 08, 2016 Sae-chan rated it it was ok
Shelves: literature
I got that Mr. Hoban had extensive knowledge of multiple languages, art, music, history, books, words, worods, woordos, whatever you can imagine.

Other than those, I got nothing.
Ray
Dec 25, 2015 Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mr rinyo clacton is an enigma. A mysterious millionaire with (seemingly) a made up name. He takes an interest in a loser who has a dead end job he hates and has just split up with his girlfriend.

Caught at a low ebb jonathan fitch agrees to sell his death to rinyo clacton in return for a million pounds and a year in which to enjoy it.

What follows is a roller coaster ride. Is rinyo clacton a sinister bully with a god complex or just a lonely old lecher living under his own death sentence (the book
Louis
Jul 28, 2014 Louis rated it liked it
Upon finishing this I came to the conclusions that at its core was a long existentialist extended metaphor; the metaphor being that a life without meaning, without some big metaphysical divine guiding it's path, one can construct themselves as they wish (and also this book has, I believe an emphasis on individual autonomy). Splice this with some intriguing art history, compelling plot and good pace and I found a light read (for the more morbidly inclined).

Terry Mark
Feb 27, 2016 Terry Mark rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read by this author and really liked it. It's written with great imagination and wit and as for Mr Rinyo Clacton what a fantastic character to dream up. Whilst reading this i was trying to imagine how it was going to all end up, but never thought of that combination. I even said to my wife out loud I never saw that coming. I feel the need to seek out more Russell Hoban books now I think.
Alan
Dec 02, 2008 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Yes I enjoyed this, one of Hoban's later novels. A faustian pact - a man can enjoy riches as long as he agrees to be murdered next year...
Maybe not quite satisfying enough, but puzzling, poetic, beautifully written..
Walt
Feb 10, 2012 Walt rated it it was amazing
Just finished it; an excellent read. Like all of Hoban's work, it is very well crafted. No detail is an accident; everything has meaning and is interlocking.
ALX
ALX rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Stevie
Stevie rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Andrew Law
Andrew Law rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
David Lamerton
David Lamerton rated it really liked it
May 04, 2013
robert
robert rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Night Feed
Night Feed rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Roland
Roland rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Hamish Mack
Hamish Mack rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Chichikov
Chichikov rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Andrew Plasom-Scott
Andrew Plasom-Scott rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Oliver
Oliver rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Seonaid McMillan
Seonaid McMillan rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Duane
Duane rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Marshall Cox
Marshall Cox rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Paul Green
Paul Green rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Robb Hart
Robb Hart rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2011
Steve Bygrave
Steve Bygrave rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Christopher Lloyd
Christopher Lloyd rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016