Start by marking “The Boyhood Of Burglar Bill” as Want to Read:
The Boyhood Of Burglar Bill

The Boyhood Of Burglar Bill

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  6 reviews

Coronation Year, 1953, and in Oldbury a Coronation football competition is organized. The boys from the bottom pitch get a team up, but there's no chance they'll win, of course. They're just the odds and sods - one of them is even a girl - but they're all football crazy and ready and eager to beat off the opposition.

A funny and moving story of football and friendship in a

Published (first published March 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Boyhood Of Burglar Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boyhood Of Burglar Bill

Debbie
My first book by Allan Alhberg and didnt really know what to expect from this childrens author. Previous books include Burgular Bill as a charactor and I wasnt sure if I was reading from the authors imagination or an autobiographical piece. Times online reviews this book as the 2nd installment of Allans autobiography for readers age 9+.

From the Midlands myself I enjoyed the local descriptions of places I know but as the mother of a 9 year old girl I think she would find the football story borin
Diane Dukes
I enjoyed the nostalgic images. it is close to my era and some of the characters I am sure I have met in some ways. As they say the names are changed to protect the guilty err sorry innocent.
Joanne Eaves
I loved this evocative, bittersweet book. It even made me nostalgic for a chilhood not my own (being set about 25 years too early). All the preoccupations of primary school children, as I remember them, are recognisable and brilliantly brought to life. Even for someone like me, with absolutely no interest in football, it is genuinely exciting and the ending (nothing to do with football) genuinely sad. Although supposedly a children's book, I think there is more here to appeal to adults.
Judy
This was thought provoking and moving and entertaining.

Perhaps more for adults than children? Who knows, some might enjoy it if they can cope with the historical context. The subject matter is engaging enough and the soccer descriptions fabulous. The kids in the book are 10 though, and I'm guessing not all that many kids of that age would be confident and sophisticated enough readers to enjoy it.

Anyway, a wonderful book.
Rachel
Apr 25, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read
Nominated for the Carnegie Medal (UK)
Maggie
Gentle story from a better era:)
Elizabeth Beverley
Elizabeth Beverley marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
لمى شعبان
لمى شعبان marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Tweedledum
Tweedledum marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Robert
Robert is currently reading it
May 27, 2013
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Jack Biggs
Jack Biggs marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2012
Beth Dean
Beth Dean marked it as to-read
May 14, 2011
Alice
Alice added it
Apr 16, 2009
Allan Ahlberg, one of the most acclaimed and successful authors of children's books - including the best-selling Jolly Postman series - says that he dreamed of becoming a writer since the age of twelve. But his route to that goal was somewhat circuitous.

Other jobs along the way included postman (not an especially jolly one, he recalls), gravedigger, plumber, and teacher.

The author wrote his firs
More about Allan Ahlberg...
Funnybones (Picture Puffin) The Pencil Please Mrs Butler The Runaway Dinner Previously